UNION Kitchen & Tap
1108 S. Coast Highway 101
Encinitas, CA 92024Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
UNION Kitchen & Tap
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.localunion101.com/
- Phone: 7602302337
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 3:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jason Gethin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: Howard Solomon 7602302337
A word from UNION Kitchen & Tap
Situated at the southern end of Downtown Encinitas on the historic 101 highway, UNION Kitchen & Tap offers New American Cuisine in an inviting, warm, and comfortable restaurant setting. Executive Chef, Jason Gethin, created a frequently changing menu that relies heavily on local and organic ingredients. The menu features a variety of options to choose from including seasonal salads, hearty sandwiches, prime steak and chops, and a number of signature dishes for meat eaters and vegetarians alike. UNION Kitchen & Tap also offers a full complement of local craft beers, boutique wines, and signature cocktails. The bar remains open until 2:00pm for those looking for some nightlife.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
UNION Kitchen & Tap - Best Restaurants in Encinitas ›
UNION Kitchen & Tap reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (27)vibrant bar scene (27)great for lunch (24)good for groups (24)hot spot (20)fit for foodies (17)great for brunch (16)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (7)special occasion (4)romantic (4)notable wine list (4)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Good casual GastropubDarinSDined on 9/3/2014Good casual Gastropub food. Noisy bar area. Lot's of the college set here on a Wednesday evening. Food was well prepared and service was good. The duck confit was not a true confit for me, skin was not crispy, but the dish was good. Portions are somewhat large, you get plenty of food for the price. Bar area is quite noisy and busy so not a great romantic spot. If you are looking for a good casual meal that is more upscale than some chain type food this is a good bet. Be sure to reserve if you don't want to sit in the bar area, but if you like the scene than the bar area is for you.Special Features:
- Best burger aroundSoCalEnthuVIPDined on 8/29/2014I love the burger every time I'm here. Ok, sometimes I'm tempted to get other delicious main courses (which are also quite good), but when I come back to the burger, it never disappoints. Tip - substitute the grits for the fries - healthier and tastier too. We also enjoyed the scallops and the salmon. And the flatbread appetizer. And I've had the duck confit and the beef cheeks. It's all good! The main area is a vibrant bar scene and can be noisy, so if you want quiet to talk, go to either the far left room or the one on the right of the hostess stand. The one on the right is quieter, but you get less ambiance too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorite local spotsLuvgoodfoodDined on 8/24/2014Always love the Union. They don't have outdoor seating - exactly - but because of the open windows in the bar, you don't feel far from it. Everything is always great at the Union. The crab claws are one of the best things I have had - ever.Special Features:
- One of my neighborhood favoritesFoodFanDined on 8/18/2014The food was delicious (I could eat the local greens salad and chipotle peach ribs everyday). The atmosphere was clean and well designed, but comfortable and not overdone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for lunchWaldoDined on 8/15/2014Great atmosphere for dining with friends in lively surroundings! Great beer selections and very tasty food.Special Features:
- Great place for out of town guestsladylimeyDined on 8/9/2014We had a friend and his 14 year old grandson visiting from England, and took them to the Union on a Saturday night. The kid loved the burger and watched basket ball, and we enjoyed the vibrant scene and great food. A great place to show case Californian people & food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprised!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014We really enjoyed our time at Union. I had passed it several times on the 101 and was very glad we decided to check it out. As it was a Saturday night, the restaurant was very busy so it was great to have our table reserved ahead. I would definitely recommend it for the upbeat atmosphere, the staff was very attentive and friendly and the food was really good. Love Encinitas and we will be returning to Union again!Special Features:
- It all comes together very wellvbubetDined on 8/2/2014The Union Kitchen and Tap name lets you know about the kitchen and the beer, but neglects the wine, at least in the name. My wife and I enjoyed the cheese plate as an appetizer, the scottish salmon and the beef cheeks. The meal was finished with two great desserts, their version of cream brule and a special with lavender candied fruit. My wife complained that the beef cheeks were too rich but was able to enjoy a nice pinot noir and was able to clear the palat. All in all, I would recommend this to friends and family.Special Features:
- phenomenaldeliciousVIPDined on 7/29/2014Always the best :) eaten there 20 times and I'll ear there 20 times more this month :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Notch !!! :)deliciousVIPDined on 7/28/2014I'll say that I can eat breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner and desserts with a dope drink menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always funBrieDined on 7/27/2014Gumbo has gotten a little spicy and th eBreakfast Shot portions have gotten smaller, but this is one of our favourite spots. Best bacon in town. get it in your Bloody mary. Get it with your breakfast. Get a side order of it. Crumble and sprinkle it over the grits. Just eat it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorite placesAlwaysSDDined on 7/20/2014Chicken and waffles are delicious, prices are reasonable and overall great setting. Kid friendly with kids menus and crayons.Special Features:
- Good food, good drink, cool vibectmille1Dined on 7/14/2014Enjoyed a terrific dinner and a few local brews at the sidewalk window table on a pleasant Monday evening. Had the brick chicken, colleagues had the yellowtail - loved all of it. Also had the meatball appetizer - delicious.Special Features:
- Bacon Bloody Marys are the Best!lcfoodieDined on 7/5/2014I try to stop by any time I am down south from Los Angeles--Everything on the menu is wonderful, and the Bacon Bloody Marys are out of this world!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun ExperienceSquishyDined on 7/3/2014No for children! :-) A friend recommended this place. Different kind of menu. Definitely edible choices for those that are picky eaters. Interesting food for those who are adventurous. Husband had the Beef Cheeks. Said it was like very flavorful pot roast. Me, Bacon Tomato Flat Bread. Yum! Open to street views. I liked the adult atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointment all aroundSDnativeDined on 6/24/2014We went to Union Kitchen for my son's birthday dinner because he wanted a burger. We waited almost an hour and were finally served our undercooked burgers. On a Tuesday night when the restaurant was not busy, there is no excuse and none was given by our server. We had a reservation stating that it was my son's birthday and also told the hostess and waitress upon our arrival expecting some sort of recognition of the special occasion. Yet, the waitress presented the bill without mention. I had to track her down and ask her if she would please acknowledge my son's birthday and she said that they don't do anything for birthday celebrations! Needless to say, considering the poor food and lack of customer service, we will never be back.
- Dinner with friendsFoodnfriendsDined on 6/19/2014As always the food was fresh and delicious! So relaxed and casual!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really fun!tlfc4Dined on 6/16/2014We had excellent service and a great time sitting in the Tap Room area. Food is always excellent as well. Great vibe at Union!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lunch and AtmosphereDrRobinVIPDined on 6/13/2014A group of us were visiting Encinitas for the day and stopped in at UNION Kitchen & Tab because of their diverse menu items. We got seated at the open window which was great for people watching on Coastal Hwy 101. Our waitperson was very knowledgeable about the wine and beer list. The food was excellent. They were out of the turkey Rueben, but the fish and chips were a great substitute. The place was quite busy compared to other restaurants we passed so we felt it was a good sign. Would recommend for lunch and ask to be seated by the window.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just love this placeSweetMichaelVIPDined on 6/7/2014Great food, great beers on tap and great service. This place is one of my favorites in San Diego. We also went to the Gas Lamp spot the following day. Just as awesome.Special Features:
- Great lunch!FoodnfriendsDined on 6/6/2014I have eaten here twice and can't wait to go again. Robust and varied menu with so many tempting options! Casual and comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love itJImmyVIPDined on 6/1/2014We have been here 3 or 4 times and have never been disappointed with are visit. The food and service are excellent. Just a great place for lunch. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great drinks & foodAimseeDined on 5/29/2014This place has amazing mixed drinks & the food is great!! It's incredibly loud.. It's a giant bar basically. If you can get a seat for dining in the room to the right that's the way to go if you want a little more ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good bar, good foodEricDined on 5/29/2014Great drinks and great food. It is my favorite spot in Encinitas.Special Features:
- Union EncinitasVdayloverVIPDined on 5/21/2014Great place for lunch meeting, good job. Good food and the service was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 147 reviews are from the UNION Kitchen & Tap reviews archive.
- Very good lunchVan420Dined on 5/12/2014The menue is varied and the food was good and well presented. The server was outstanding. They have a great wine selection as well an extensive beer selection. All in all is was a pleasent place for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for dinner tooSoCalEnthuVIPDined on 5/11/2014We've been here many times for lunch, but recently enjoyed a great dinner. The food was well prepared and very tasty. We liked all of our dishes - beef, fish, duck, and pasta. Don't miss the slider appetizer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as AlwaysEncDwlDined on 5/11/2014Great Mother's Day Brunch! This was our second year in a row and my wife loves it. Kids loved the food selection, including the beignets. Where else does an IPA go so well with breakfast!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovesFoodVIPDined on 5/8/2014Service was below average. The staff seemed to be too interested in what was going on with the gossip amongst their coworkers to have focus on their jobs at hand. Food was just ok. One bright note was the beer. Great selection.
- Been there twice will not be backCristalchampagneVIPDined on 5/3/2014Great food and service everything we had was excellent. However, will not be back to dine and will not recommend to friends. The noise level in the dining room was ridiculous load large groups all around screaming, laughing and carrying on with no respect to smaller parties. We went early it was unbearable. Not only is the dining room small, crowded and loud add the noise from the bar and the music playing and you may as well be sitting in public walkway. Mention to the management that it was a little much and they seemed not to care stated that people are just having a good time. I am all for a good time but really yelling across the room and loud voices to communicate with people sitting next to you is a little much. Save your money!Special Features:
- Great, interesting menuFlowergirlDined on 5/3/2014Fun, lively neighborhood restaurant with delicious food. Menu has a Southern flare. All meals we've experienced there were really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool placeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/24/2014Always great food and always fun for dinner or lunch. The food is always greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealAzGetawayDined on 4/17/2014We are from out of town and went here on a friend's recommendation. It was a good decision! Our meals were delicious and plentiful (cioppino and shrimp and grits), the service was great and the atmosphere wonderful. We would absolutely return.Special Features:
- I set up a reservation forMaritzaDined on 3/29/2014I set up a reservation for a group of friends and I to celebrate my husband's Birthday, the food and service were great! choices to fit any appetite.. we look forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Far exceeded my expectationsEdwardVIPDined on 3/28/2014Union is not a 'typical bar and grill'. It's a well conceived, expertly operated high-quality restaurant masquerading under a bar & grill cover. This is as well put-together and professionally managed restaurant as there is in the San Diego area. The food, service and ambiance were all excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/27/2014The menu looked interesting, but yelp reviews made the food sound blah. We were very pleasantly surprised. The main bar/food area is loud, but the hostesses honored our request for a quiet table; we had a wonderful table in the back. The food was very interesting and flavorful. Green salad/crispy egg and beet salads were both very tasty/interesting and larger than expected. Cocktails were also much better than expected: the smoked peach drink was a real treat. The sweet potato ravioli had a beautiful foam but was a little too heavy (buttery). Others enjoyed the burger and many other dishes. Great meal and experience in Encinitas! It compared favorably to Solace too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a bad place for brunchFoodieSD2014Dined on 3/16/2014A group of us came here for lunch the other weekend. It was a warm sunny weekend and Union has a very nice open bar area that is a pretty happening spot. Sadly, we were placed in the backroom area which isn't open to the outside at all. Would recommend if you come here to never sit in the side room to the right. Service was excellent, even though we were hidden from everyone, we were consistently checked up on and never had to wait long for our food or drinks. Brunch was fairly decent, its a short but well done menu.Special Features:
- YummyMomof3VIPDined on 3/13/2014Our server was great and helped with suggestions on the menu. Had the burger and sweet potato fries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gumbo bombasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/16/2014I had the gumbo at brunch....very good ....huge plate of deliciousness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnionJakeZVIPDined on 2/15/2014Good food and service. VERY LOUD during peak hours. Try the quail fried waffle, its awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.