Union Fish - Hingham
23 Shipyard Drive
Hingham, MA 02043Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Union Fish - Hingham
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: (781) 749-3334
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:30am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Brandon Babiarz
- Dress Code: Formal Attire
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Union Fish - Hingham
Union Fish Seafood & Raw Bar offers guests delicious New England seafood dishes, amazing views and a great experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Union Fish - Hingham reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (11)fit for foodies (9)great for outdoor dining (9)great for lunch (6)romantic (5)scenic view (4)vibrant bar scene (4)hot spot (4)good for groups (3)late-night find (2)special occasion (2)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Delicious ExperienceMarcieDined on 10/30/2014My husband and I went to the Union Fish for date night on a Thursday night. We had 7:30 dinner reservations and the restaurant was not busy on this night. They had a acoustic guitar/singer playing and they sounded really good playing their version of 70s and 80s music. The décor is modern nautical and the restaurant is impeccably clean. The waitress was very friendly and helpful. We started with an appetizer with oysters on the half shell. My husband had the Prosciutto wrapped Haddock, I had a special Baked Scallops. Both of our entrees were delicious. We finished off with a cappuccino and Pumpkin Crème Brule.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014very good meal it was a bit too noisy though and food took a while to come outSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the meal!RobbinVIPDined on 10/11/2014This was our second visit to the restaurant. Both meals very good. Only thing I would not reorder is the tuna tartare. Some of it was stringy. Not the best and not creative in preparation. Everything else great. Have had the stuffed date appetizers each visit and will get them on the next visit I am pretty sure! A great neighborhood gem spot. We will probably come far too often when we move into the neighborhood next month. Both visits our server has been great.Special Features:
- Monday night bluesericDined on 9/29/2014Had a full meal there Monday night; we were the only ones in the restaurant, except for a few diehards at the bar. Food was average; fisherman's platter was tasty. Selected a wine off the wine list only to be informed 3 minutes later that it was not in stock (no inventory is perfect I thought giving them the benefit of the doubt) so we selected another. We were then told this wine also was not in stock....Hmmmm. At this point I was fed up and ordered beer instead. My wife was served beer in a bottle! So much for a fine dining experience. Much more a sports bar than a quality restaurant. Service overall was indifferent, mediocre at best. Had good view of staff doing paperwork in kitchen with the door open through out the meal.
- Very Good FoodluvtoeatVIPDined on 9/26/2014Once again, we found Union Fish in Hingham to be very good. The restaurant continues to serve a great meal. This was our second time, and our food was equally as good as our first visit. My scallops were delicious, and my partner's salmon was to die for. Don't be fooled by the decor, or at times the noise level, Union will not disappoint. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingLynnDined on 9/21/2014Service at this restaurant was incredible and the waitstaff very friendly! Bad dining experience last summer when it first opened, but was willing to give it another chance for my son in laws birthday dinner. Started out good -- the oysters were delicious! Caesar salad was rather boring, chowder only okay, and then the 3 entrees ordered were simply disappointing. Overcooked haddock, lackluster sides, and the macaroni and cheese left much to be desired because the taste of the white sauce was overwhelming (barely tasting of actual cheese!) My daughter didn't care for the "odd taste" of it and didn't eat more than a few bites. All in all, the food on our 2nd visit was as bad as the first, so I probably won't try it again!Special Features:
- vailskiiersDined on 9/1/2014We've had many family dinners here with our teenage children. On all occasions the food has been very good; however, the service is extremely slow. Its not that there service staff is not attentive; they are just short staffed. they need to add one additional person during prime dinner times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After beach favoriteStephenVIPDined on 8/22/2014Place was good, but on the pricey side ($27.00 for fried clams?? - Ouch !) Oysters were $3.00 / each. That being said they offer oysters from 3:00 to 6:00 for $1.00 each. . . . . and that's when I'll go.Special Features:
- Meh...82muchVIPDined on 8/16/2014We eat out alot and it just didn't measure up to our other restaurants. Everything about it was average... the shrimp cocktail, at $3 per shrimp were very small (compare to other restaurants). Pasta dish too heavy. Crab cakes pretty small but good. We didn't hate it but we wouldn't go back - there are too many other excellent restaurants to choose from.
- Union Fish HinghamOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014Food was good just net very plentiful for the men in our group.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/15/2014Every experience has been excellent- just wish the configuration of tables was less awkward- either group sits next to serving station or in close proximity to rest rooms- maybe a screen in front of rest rooms would help--otherwise we love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedPbbunny80Dined on 8/9/2014We have been to this restaurant many times. The food is great! However the number of children dining was loud and overwhelming. I have a work-related back injury and I requested a " booth." When we arrived there were kids in the booth!Special Features:
- Great outdoor setting.NINADined on 8/8/2014We were at Union on a Friday around 6:30-7:00 pm. We had reservations. We sat outside and everything was lovely. Good food and great atmosphere. Music was heard from a waterfront concert.... Would recommend. Casual tho upscale and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceRockoCozDined on 8/5/2014I took my girlfriend here on a Tuesday night. It was very quiet that evening which was nice. Our waitress was very nice. The food was delicious. Overall it was a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food but...luvtoeatVIPDined on 7/26/2014We had another great meal at Union Fish, but this time we sat at the bar. Unfortunately we met with a poor bartender who was very inattentive. Great food, don't sit at the bar.Special Features:
- Good placejackVIPDined on 7/25/2014We sat outside and had a great time. Food was good, service was good and the price value ratio was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 62 reviews are from the Union Fish - Hingham reviews archive.
- Haddock!Pbbunny80Dined on 7/20/2014The haddock is my favorite! Delicious ! My husband had the Mac cheese/lobster dish... Amazing!Special Features:
- Union Fish a DisappointmentHeartburnDined on 7/17/2014Ordered Halibut "special". Nothing special about it. overcooked bland fish. Same goes for potatoes and indiscernible corn medley. Sat outside. Energetic atmosphere. Good drinks. Meal a waste of money
- Terrific SurpriseluvtoeatVIPDined on 7/13/2014This was our first time at Union Fish. We both were pleasantly surprised by the presentation and the terrific food at this restaurant. I had the scallops and my partner had the salmon special, both to die for. The service was wonderful and the atmosphere is very quaint and comfortable. The chocolate ckae dessert with vanilla ice cream was amazing. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- fish friendlyfridayDined on 7/4/2014If you want fish, this is a great place to go. There are other things on the menu but we've never tried them. probably just as good as the fishSpecial Features:
- DisappointingBirmDined on 7/4/2014Waitress was great but the food was extremely disappointing. Fried clams were very good, but hummus dip was uninspiring. Our entrees came out 3 minutes after ordering- fresh from the microwave. $18 lame, small fish and chips; shrimp and angel hair pasta that was really romen noodles and crab cakes so bad my wife didn't eat half of them- for the price, not worth it
- TaterDined on 7/3/2014The food and service were incredible. The tables were a bit small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very DisappointedMangaBraintreeDined on 6/20/2014We celebrated a cousins 50th wedding anniversary and I was very disappointed. I ordered swordfish which was dry and tough. I needed a knife to cut my swordfish. The others did not complain about their dinners. I should have brought this to the attention of the server but did not want to interfere with the occasion. After thinking about it I thought that I should bring it to your attention. We appreciated the complimentary toast that the server brought to us in celebration of the occasion.
- OverratedkbcatDined on 6/20/2014The only thing worth going back for is the clam chowder which was delicious. The much vaunted grilled cheese with lobster was a lumpy mess with globs of cheddar cheese and a couple of large chunks of lobster, along with some bizarre yellow tomato slices thrown in (not even sure they're mentioned on the menu). It actually made my mother nauseous, and she otherwise has a strong stomach. Our friend said her grilled shrimp wrap was good, but we're not sure that she wasn't just being polite. The housemade chips are decent, but not worth going back for on their own. Even the strawberry-based cocktail was a disappointment. It had a pinkish tinge but not even a hint of strawberry flavor. The atmosphere is industrial clam shack, not really my thing.Special Features:
- LOVE this placerikeVIPDined on 6/16/2014Always great to be there! The food and the wine is amazing. Big compliment to the very nice staffSpecial Features:
- back with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/3/2014We enjoyed our last dinner so much that we suggested our neighbors try it with us.. All our dinners were excellent and service terrific. Wish we did not have to be seated as close to bathrooms- not exactly pleasant all evening, but that was only thing less than ideal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Modern Seafood HouseTheMikeVIPDined on 5/30/2014Went on a first date here the other night and we both enjoyed some creative sounding/tasting specials off of the menu. Had oysters to start and the variety was great as well. Only complaint is the table we sat at was a little shaky and we both spilt a bit of our drinks as a result.Special Features:
- GREAT SERVICErikeVIPDined on 5/21/2014the team is amazing. They take care and help you getting exactly what you need. Gary is the best : )
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/18/2014Everything was delicious and cooked perfectly! The restaurant is set up very well and has a great atmosphere!
- supbar service and drinksnicknameDined on 5/9/2014food was good but service and drinks were subpar. out of oysters that night. also we ordered a martini, sent it back twice because it tasted like water and found out it was water which they were using for training purposes. restaurant should have comp'ed drink. plus not thrilled martini didn't fill up entire glass.
- Wonderful seafoodLeeLeeVIPDined on 5/9/2014Although I'm a regular at the Plymouth location, this was my first visit to Union Fish in Hingham. The seafood was wonderful, but I'm not a fan of fine dining at a bar-height table. Also, the "cappuccino" was ice cold and milky. Just terrible. But, as long as you stick to the fish, you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Great atmosphererikeVIPDined on 5/8/2014I love this restaurant! The staff is very friendly, it's a great place to eat or to just hang out at the bar.Special Features:
- A disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/3/2014My crabcake appetizer was missing the tarter sauce mentioned on the menu, and the lettuce was limp and brown. I would have told the waitress, but she did not check back with us. Our sword fish was a small dried out piece of fish that was overpowered with garlic so much, that there was no fish flavor. The waitstaff was sweet, but not well trained or polished, and not attentive. It might sound picky, but the paper table cloth on top of the linens kept annoyingly catching on sleeves, and turning up.....we might not have noticed if our food and service was better, but it just seemed indicative of a lot of attention to detail that is needed to improve this place.
- KaiADined on 4/26/2014We arrived before our dining friends and we seated immediately and was offered drinks while waiting , great start. After our friends arrived it started going downhill with our server almost immediately. She was a very nice girl but a little forgetful. We waited quite a bit for a second round of drinks to the point where the manager must have heard uhh s and came over to take care of us. Desert was offered , coffee was asked about and after we ordered espresso we were informed by the waitress that she broke the machine then proceeded to come back smiling with a cup of cappuccino. Not a bad experience, just a little frustrating. But, the food was great ,everyone was happy and helpful and I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rikeVIPDined on 4/20/2014The staff is amazing: they take great care and make sure you get what you really want. I also love the welcoming warm atmosphere. It's a great spot to hang out, eat and have good wine.Special Features:
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/17/2014the salmon is a favorite of mine. Gary who is part of your wait staff is most enjoyable. however this particular evening the service was much to slow even though there was training going on and the restaurant was only half full. we dined with another couple that complained. I will come back though. it would be terrific if your open table booking had a seating map and you could choose where your wanted to sit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- get togetherfrequentdiner26Dined on 4/13/2014We had a nice time, the place is cheerful and the food is great. A little pricey but it was a special occasion. The staff was very friendly and helpful, would definitely recommend Union Fish and would like to go again. Maybe try to go to the Plymouth one next.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is remarkablecusegirlDined on 3/30/2014The food is definitely the best part. Truffle fries and raw bar are the highlights of the menu and the signature cocktails are outstanding. The only negative thing I could say is that it was absolutely freezing in there. Everyone had their coats on. Since it was the awkward transition time between winter and spring, maybe they had already turned the heat down?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will not returnBosoxdudeDined on 3/29/2014Horrible experience had 6pm reservations had to wait 15 minutes for them to clear our table Had to ask for napkins no salt an pepper on the table Sad part is they were not busy at all Had to ask for bread. Ordered a ceaser salad with spicey ceaser dressing not spicey at all Ordered Salmon with sweet potato hash Salmon was a little raw and cold in the center could not really tast the sweet potato hash it was drowning in olive oil and that is all you taste Will not return any time soonSpecial Features:
- Nice wait staff. Good food,FamilytimetogetherVIPDined on 3/9/2014Nice wait staff. Good food, especially and obviously the seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.