Union Bar and Grille
1357 Washington Street
Boston, MA 02118Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Union Bar and Grille
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.unionrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (617) 423-0555
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00am
Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Dolly Bourommavong
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Restaurant is available BRUNCH starting at $15/person and DINNER starting at $45/person for semi-private dining, or private dining for groups of 10 to 100 people (both prices exclude alcoholic beverages, tax and tip).
- Cross Street: Union Park
- Public Transit: Silver Line T Washington Street
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet service, street parking and free off street parking 1 block away at 560 Harrison, tell the guard you are dining at Union.
Public Transit Stops: Take the Silver Line on Washington Street to Union Park
A word from Union Bar and Grille
The original South End bistro celebrating our 10th year anniversary and our Improper Bostonian Best American Bistro award.Continued
We serve dinner nightly as well as a popular neighborhood brunch on both Saturday and Sunday with a $9.95 price fixed option all day Saturday and through 11am Sunday.
We serve dinner nightly as well as a popular neighborhood brunch on both Saturday and Sunday with a $9.95 price fixed option all day Saturday and through 11am Sunday.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Union Bar and Grille - Best Restaurants in South End ›
Union Bar and Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (53)fit for foodies (47)great for brunch (34)good for groups (32)special occasion (22)romantic (21)hot spot (17)vibrant bar scene (16)notable wine list (14)kid-friendly (10)great for lunch (9)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Nice and QuietleDoudeDined on 11/16/2014Patronized the restaurant with a group of friends. Recommend the round tables which can seat 6 very comfortably and are very conducive to an engaging conversation with the whole party. We dined on a Sunday night and it was very quiet. Staff very accommodating with our reduced group size of 5 from a reservation of 10. We ordered from the Prix Fixe menu: good value, excellent choices and remarkable cuisine. Good selection of beers and a nice extensive wine menu. highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Packed for Sunday, happy that I had rsvp.TF2014VIPDined on 11/16/2014Packed for Sunday, happy that I had rsvp. Waited 15mins to get seated, great service from server, food was okay. Great to see the neighborhood .Special Features:
- lgcloughVIPDined on 11/9/2014We got there at 1:00 for Sunday brunch and they had run out of half the menu items. One of our orders was not right and had to be corrected. Also the decaf coffee was cold and weak. This used to be one of my favorite restaurants but now I am thinking twice about going there again.
- OK but not specialKsjOmniComVIPDined on 11/9/2014The food was ok but not better than home and not that thoughtfully made or prepared. One person got eggs benedict - very dry and no longer warm english muffins toast, uninspiring flaps of ham and over cooked eggs. My omelette was fine but a little odd - so much carmelized onions, so little cauliflower, and nothing artful or nice about the presentation with a slice of toast. The dessert took a long time with no apology and the overall environment was ok but not inspiring. An ok but not special choice.
- Not impressed...FoodieDined on 11/8/2014The fresh oj was good but the toast was hard and stale like it had been left out for a week and heavily buttered to try and cover it up. The eggs were ok, but I could have done better myself.
- incompetentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/7/2014When a reservation is made for nine, the party expects a table for nine, not a table that can only hold seven with enough bread plates and utensils for nine. Just because there is a booth, that does not mean that 2 extra people can be magically squeezed in. You may want to train whoever sets your table that if your bread plates are within inches of the next one, then there won't be enough space for entree plates. We recognized the error immediately. You may want to train the hosts and hostesses to recognize the error. We had to wait an extra hour to be fully seated, we had to wait a long time to put in an order, and then had to wait a long time for the food to arrive, which was surprising given the lateness of the hour.
- Not for conversationmaxxxgDined on 10/25/2014Without question, this was the noisiest restaurant we've experienced in over 40 years of dining out. Felt more like a sports bar during a Super Bowl. Food was quite good and included several excellent vegetarian options. Service was friendly if a little slow.Special Features:
- Great food but noisyBob64VIPDined on 10/18/2014Delicious and varied menu. Food prepared and attractively served. Perhaps it was the evening that we were there but it took a very long time for food to arrive (and I'm not an impatient diner). The restaurant is a vibrant place, perhaps a bit noisy but that's part of the scene. I don't understand though why they need to play loud music in the dining room. We did mention this to our server and the music was turned down but still not necessary while people are eating and talking. Music is great in the bar.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/16/2014Wait staff is inexperienced and hovers excessively. Needs more practice before hitting the floor. Bar tender was awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Neighborhood gemmairsolDined on 10/12/2014With the view of the Cathedral of the Holy Cross, and excellent food and comfy booths - what's not to like??Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/29/2014consistently excellent food and service. all dishes sampled over time are at a minimum very good.Special Features:
- LizswinickiVIPDined on 9/28/2014Greg the manager was our waiter and made the whole experience wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- willwood7VIPDined on 9/27/2014Loved the look and feel of the place. Appetizers were very solid overall, but the entrees did not meet expectations. The pork was okay, but lacked bold flavors and the slaw and white bread that accompanied it left a lot to be desired. The lobster pasta was the worst dish of the night. Lobster was way overcooked and sauce was more of a broth that did not go well at all. Saving grace was their cornbread, served in a hot, cast iron pan. It was amazing and maybe the best cornbread I have ever had. Service was solid. Attentive without being overbearing. They ran out of one entree (steak) and several wine selections on a Saturday, which should not happen.
- Pretty good.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014About a 3.5 for us. We had dinner there on a Saturday night - the restaurant was crowded, but didn't feel it. Waiter seemed to be very new. Not awful, but uncertain, didn't know answers to basic questions about menu set up one place-setting backward (fork on right), etc. Not a big deal. Apps were wonderful (eggplant & goat cheese pate and heirloom tomatoes with burrata). The meals were very good(angus brisket) and ok(bluefish with ratatouille and quinoa). Fruit sorbet was wonderful. One glass of wine was off and was replaced fairly efficiently. There was a very long wait for the sorbet (frankly we barely noticed as we were relaxed and chatting) and the manager comped a glass of wine for each of us. Not wowed, but we'll try it again.
- WILL COME AGAIN!TF2014VIPDined on 9/27/2014Meeting a new friend for first brunch, we both love this place. Excellent service and very yummy brunch. THANK YOU!Special Features:
- LydstoDined on 9/17/2014You will always have a fabulous meal here! The food is consistently excellent and interesting. we always recommend Union to friends because we know they will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Food wasn't great.BillyDined on 9/12/2014Service was awesome - Trevor took care of us and did a great job. Hosts were funny and sat us immediately. For the second time, though, the food was underwhelming. Seemed like the timing was off in the kitchen as half of our plates arrived cold and the rest were steaming. Veg dishes are creative but bland and not satisfying. Cod was bland. Steak frites was flavorless undercooked and fries were soggy. Deviled eggs were pretty good. b- on food a on service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchKittyVIPDined on 9/7/2014Great brunch at a great price. the prix fixe is excellent. The omelette is outstanding but the Dutch Baby skillet cake is too small for the price.Special Features:
- BBQ delightPhepsieVIPDined on 9/6/2014I ordered the prix fixe BBQ menu. It was delicious from the grilled corn on the cob, to the flavorful St Louis ribs, to the rhubarb crisp. Great flavors for the summer when you don't have a place to grill because you're an urban dweller, and a good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pub with a TwistCat1Dined on 9/3/2014We're on a quest to eat at all the restaurants in this restaurant group. So far we have been impressed; each restaurant is unique with nice ambiance, a great menu and nice staff. Union Bar and Grill is in keeping with the others. I would like to suggest perhaps a more varied menu, price wise and food wise. I would love to see a creative take on tradition pub fare, with a slightly lower price tag. All told, though a bit pricey for a "pub," this restaurant is definitely worth going to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodForThoughtDined on 8/27/2014If you're looking for quality southern food in the South End, this is definitely the place to go! I loved that they served corn bread in a skillet as opposed to a bread basket, and their cocktail list was full of fun rustic choices. My fiance and I had the brisket and the rib, both cooked to perfection and practically falling off the bone! They were also able to accommodate my lactose intolerance, which I really appreciated. Two thumbs up for sure!Special Features:
- Friendly, attractive place, but....PernodVIPDined on 8/24/2014We enjoyed brunch with friends at Union--airy room, nice table, great waiter. But the food didn't contribute much. Our rosemary fries were a great idea, but did not reach the table hot. The gruyere popover with bacon sounded good, but was served in an unwieldy arrangement that made it very hard to eat, and both the popover and the bacon were overdone--dried out and crispy. Huevos rancheros were under sauced. So we'd have a tough time recommending it. Maybe another day, or different dishes, we'd find the food lived up to the rest of the experience.
- PMFoodieDined on 8/22/2014excellent diinner and great service! We chose the dine out menu and all choices were really good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/21/2014Went to dinner with my family for restaurant week and was very disappointed. Food was good, but the service was terrible. I have been to the other Aquitaine Group restaurants (Gaslight, Aquitaine, Cinquecento) and have had great experiences.
- Delicious food and awesome servicePuffinDined on 8/21/2014Food was very, very good. A wide range of menu selections, not your typical that you can find in many other restaurants. Will definitely be back for the Lobster fettucinne! There's also a variety of selections on the drink menu, I enjoy the down east cider for a casual drinker. The service was awesome, such a lovely staff, and I always feel welcomed when I enter the door. This is a very pleasant place to dine-in with a partner, a group of friends, and even kids.Special Features:
- Restaurant WeektiffcfengDined on 8/17/2014The appetizer and dessert were great, but the main course was a bit of a let down. I had the grilled corn for my appetizer and the strawberry rhubarb for dessert. The main course, however, was a bit of a let down - the brisket was beautifully presented on top of a bed of collard greens and summer vegetables and while the meat itself was tender, it was lacking in flavor.Special Features:
- TF2014VIPDined on 8/16/2014THANK YOU, great service and very delish food! AWESOME UNION!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good brunch, good atmosphereJamieVIPDined on 8/16/2014Union Bar and Grille was a good experience for brunch. The atmosphere is nice and the location is great. They also have a great brunch deal! I thought the food was good, nothing spectacular, but definitely would go there for brunch again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceBostonFood78Dined on 8/10/2014Really enjoyed our brunch on a quiet Sunday afternoon - we got a table without a reservation, the service was prompt and friendly, the food was fresh and creative. Would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fatboyVIPDined on 8/9/2014Another excellent dinner, with friendly service. Union continues to be my "go to" place in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- BirthdayLydstoDined on 8/2/2014We are always happy with our experience at Union. Our dinner was excellent in every way. The dessert was inspired...the peach bourbon sundae!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Brunch!ChristopherDined on 7/27/2014I took some out of town friends for brunch last Sunday and they could not stop raving about the ambiance, the service and the good food. We all had the omelets, and even though my order wasn't correct at first, it was made right nearly immediately and with apology. The manager came by to see if everything was going ok. We had a wonderful experience. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageFoodiegaloreDined on 7/27/2014Disappointed in brunch. Food was not horrible but not very good either. I heard they're remodeling the space. I really hope they put time and energy into revamping kitchen and staff development. This place used to be one of my favorites. On a positive note, it was busy so had a fun vibe and the hostess was very welcoming.
- The following 1482 reviews are from the Union Bar and Grille reviews archive.
- Did the trick!chrisdDined on 7/20/2014Needed a quick place for 6 for Sunday brunch, looking LATE on a Saturday night most of the other places in the South End had no tables, this place was wide open. Had some trepidation due to that but NO worries, this place was great. Nice ambiance, decent food, decent prices, good location. Not sure why others had posted bad reviews, but felt very fortunate to have found this place on short notice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner but 1 Fish boneOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014I went to Union for my girlfriend's birthday and it was a really great dinner. Food and cocktails were fantastic. There was only one problem that happened at the very end. My entree was the Striped Bass and my very last bite had one big bone in it which stuck my the roof of my mouth. It would have been nice to have something taken off the bill for that but at the same time the meal itself otherwise, and everything else we ate were really delicious so I couldn't muster up being truly upset. But bones like that can't happen. It was just one last bite I wish did not have a bone it. Service was very good the whole night through and I am very sure we will return. Just keep an eye on those fish bones!Special Features:
- Good food, Mgmt team very attentiveRobinVIPDined on 7/12/20142nd time there in a month. The front of the house mgr remembered speaking with our table 1st time & was just as friendly as the 1st time. Server seemed a little overwhelmed by questions re- items on standard menu. Green salad delivered without beets (2nd ingredient in details of dish) & didn't know how to fix. Other mgr comes over, brings us missing ingredients, extra salad, & even a plate of berries at the end. Mgrs can't seem to do enough to make experience enjoyable - so that you want to come back. I guess trying to make up for server's inadequacy
- Just ok. Not the Union of the pastSouthEndFamilyVIPDined on 7/6/2014Sunday brunch. The food changed recently with new chef. The burger, that I have loved for years, is gone. Lamb burger now, if you like lamb, you may give it a shot, I did not. My eggs were good, but they looked like I was at Mike's diner, one piece of toast, cut in half? Where is the second slice, I didn't order off of a skinny menu, & asked for sausage well done, had to send it back, they just don't listen. Staff there is reminiscent of a record store, where each person is kind of stuck in their genre, and don't empathize well with customers. Our last time here was a disaster, and yes, this time was much better. I think they overcompensated, and remembered our last experience, 9 mos. ago, it felt contrived and not sincere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it was once.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/4/2014I don't know who the Union is trying to attract but it won't be us anymore. Noisy, poor service (80 minutes to receive our entree?) and marginally good food. Once a favorite of ours is now a memory. Sorry. Too many others out there - nearby - to attract us.
- BostonguyVIPDined on 6/29/2014Six adults two toddlers for brunch...the staff from the host to our two servers couldnt have been nicer ..we had a lot of logistical issues getting parking etc but everyone at Union was really patient with us. so once we got underway the food was slow to come out as they had a large engagement party for which they had apologized for in advance (the host brought us a free serving of fries to tide us over!) ...the toddlers had eggs and they re=plated the eggs on to cold plates just for the kids ( I mean that is just so considerate)...and all of us got eggs omelets or bacon and eggs...really delicious I mean I dont know what they did to the eggs but they were special. We have been to Union many times and we will be back againSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/28/2014We have lost count the number of times we have been having brunch at Union. Its location was great for us, since we lived nearby. The food was great, can't beat the $10 brunch deal. The coffee cake has been disappointing everytime we come back, it lost the original flavor after the restaurant has been cutting back to make it more profitable. I wish they can keep the great ingredients and raise the price slightly to $12 or $15. Keep up with the great quality and lots of options for the special pre-fix price brunch for Saturdays please!Special Features: