620 N. East Street
Indianapolis, IN 46202Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.union-50.com/
- Phone: (317) 610-0234
- Hours of Operation:
MONDAY-THURSDAY:4:30pm - 1:00am
FRIDAY-SATURDAY:4:30pm - 2:00am
SUNDAY:3:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Union 50
Union 50 is an innovative, chef driven restaurant and bar located in the Mass Ave neighborhood in Indianapolis, IN. Our dinner menu features creative dishes that change seasonally. Our full service bar features local libations and handcrafted cocktails. Union 50 also hosts live music, local and touring musicians and bands, multiple times per week.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Union 50 - Best Restaurants in Downtown Indy ›
Union 50 reviews from OpenTable diners
230 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (162)hot spot (153)vibrant bar scene (137)good for groups (119)neighborhood gem (117)late-night find (91)special occasion (68)great for outdoor dining (67)notable wine list (31)romantic (30)great for lunch (6)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (1)Show More
- New hot spotOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/21/2014Food is very original, and something for everyone. You don't need to purchase the high-end plates to have a fantastic meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nick S.NickSDined on 11/21/2014This is a great place for dinner. The wine list and the drink list is top notch. I had the lamb burger and was absolutely impressed. This was our first time there and we made plans to go back. Parking was easy and service was stellar! This is one one of those places that you could go to for a drink or come back later for an amazing dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PapaHDined on 11/18/2014Have taken business partners to Union 50 on two occasions. Will visit again in future. Diverse and interesting menu that has something for everyone. Guests rate food as "good" to "excellent". The "boards" are a little clunky and take up too much space on the table, but other than that no complaints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time there.CDC2001Dined on 11/17/2014Wait staff attentive and knew menu and wine list well. Avoided cocktails based upon negative feedback from multiple customers who found the overpriced and weak. Attempted to have tapas style meal, but all 3 courses came before we even had made it half way through the cheese plate. There wasn't adequate room at our table for two for all of the plates! Rookie mistake on part of wait staff. Food was very high quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it.HarryDined on 11/15/2014We have been multiple times and always have a fantastic experience. We live within walking distance so it is great to have such a unique/high quality spot in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissapointmentBethDined on 11/14/2014As a big fan of Mesh and Bru Burger, I was really looking forward to trying Union 50. Unfortunately, it fell short. While the cocktails were good, they were extremely small for $10. My husband and I shared the bacon wrapped dates, East Street salad, bbq sandwich, and duck duck hash. We both agreed the the salad was the best dish we tried. The duck was decent, but I was surprised to see the brussel sprouts used as a garnish. Are brussel sprouts really so expensive that you can't throw 3-4 on the plate? Especially when you've listed them in the description. Service wasn't bad, but not what you would expect when you are paying $100+ for two people.Special Features:
- UptownCepageVIPDined on 11/14/2014Lively bar scene and friendly service. Love the truffle fries! I'm just done with wait staff that only fills water for select members of the party. In this case, she guessed wrong as far as who was paying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I ordered what?YumFoodDined on 11/8/2014The menu is hard to understand with very little description. Our waitress deciphered the menu for us, so we appreciated that. The dessert menu also had to be deciphered as it really doesn't tell you what you are getting and what we got was not what was explained to us.... And it was such a small portion for the price. The food was bland and I probably won't return, especially for what we paid for the meal to be only somewhat satisfied. Hopefully others will have a better experience.Special Features:
- Awesome placebigdoghoosierDined on 11/8/2014We went for my wife's birthday as we hadn't been there before. The design of the restaurant is very cool. The menu isn't huge, but we found a number of tasty treats. I love the poutine with BBQ pork and the duck-duck hash. Ian, our waiter, was very good. Looking forward to another night there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/8/2014Great "room"....attractive, comfortable and generally interesting. Menu is unusual and I was able to find several items to sample. This is my forth visit and we will be going again soonSpecial Features:
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/7/2014This has become one of our favorite restaurants since it has opened in a very short time.Special Features:
- NEW FUN HOT SPOT!LMSarbachVIPDined on 11/7/2014I always judge a restaurant after visiting three times. On my third visit to Union 50, the food, service and atmosphere were as good as it was the first visit. They have three managers that roam the restaurant to ensure your meal is being served rapidly and your wait is minimal. They, themselves, help move food through the kitchen if necessary. Very cool bar - drinks are a bit expensive. I had a Moscow Mule which I would have enjoyed much more had it been served in a copper mug. Union 50 - for the price you charge for drinks, you can afford 2 - 3 dozen copper mugs for those Moscow orders! Food was fabulous again. Will definitely return a 4th, 5th, 6th....time!!Special Features:
- Union LikegoodeatsDined on 11/7/2014Union 50 decor was amazing but the bar service was very slow, service came with a smile and the prices were high! It is just like the Union workers in construction; slow and over priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the AdditionSaute4uVIPDined on 11/6/2014Thank you Cunningham Group for continuing to bring wonderful, unique venues to downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing serviceJoeCanCookDined on 11/4/2014Impeccable staff and the grouper was stellar. Duck fries and beer cheese was a great appetizer and bone marrow was spot onSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very coolOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/3/2014A little pricey for what it was, but that is my perspective as a current grad student. I think if I go again it would be for the sublime meat and cheese plate. It was outstanding. Service was great, we had a very VERY helpful/knowledgeable waitress. Wasn't thrilled about the other items, so this place is more of a small dish & drinks spot for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slightly DisappointedchewyDined on 11/1/2014My wife and I went here for my birthday and our anniversary. She was a little nervous because we have young kids at home and we were traveling 1.5hrs to get here. I was really excited because of the live music and food. The music was supposed to start at 10 but it was not until well after 10:40 that it started. At this point we were done eating and didn't see any point to just stay and drink when we had to drive back home. We should have been listening to music for about an hour instead just had a few minutes of it. The food was really good but we could have had the same experience much closer to home. Plus I mentioned on the reservation that this was a birthday and anniversary celebration and no one acknowledge either that night.Special Features:
- First time-funHarleyManDined on 11/1/2014Lively foodie and spirits place. Open,clean and firiendly. Little noisy for low level conversation but not intrusively so. Fun spot with good wine,burboun and scotch slelction.Special Features:
- Very pleasant eveningFrankoDeeDined on 10/30/2014Went to eat with another couple and had a very pleasant evening. Quite the eclectic menu and every thing we had was very good while being totally different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A sure thing!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/27/2014Union 50 is everything you'd want. Great design and atmosphere - informed genuine staff - creative food combinations and presentation. From business dinner to gathered friends to romantic night out - it's a sure thing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out-of-town birthday visitDineAndDishDined on 10/26/2014Came to Union 50 for my birthday dinner as I was in town visiting. We were all very pleasantly surprised by our experience. Any place that combines live music & dinner has the upper hand as far as I'm concerned. The atmosphere & well-trained staff left me with a positive experience that I will remember for any future visits. The only area that could use a little more attention was the food. I ordered the NY Strip Med Rare but it came out Med/Med Well in most areas. Also, the Himalayan sea salt on the sea scallops caused some concern. The scallops on their own were so well-flavored that the addition of salt was not needed. The salt was actually mistaken for sand/shell initially & was very off putting. (They did adjust this on our bill).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great before ok tonight.GrantwrightDined on 10/25/2014I have eaten here twice before and it was fantastic. On this night I felt more than confident that when I orderd my scallops and beef they would be cooked to perfection. While the beef was perfect the scallops where way over done. I'm not sure if it's by design but the tops were browned to a crisp and the bottom was softer. I have never had a scallop with a crem brûlée style top on it as it seamed they took a torch to it. Great every other time but I would never order the scallops and beef again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoisyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/25/2014It was hard to have a conversation in the main dining room. Will not go back unless we can sit in the front room or outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Atmospherejjl26Dined on 10/25/2014Really loved the location, interior and feel of Union 50! Our service was great, and we enjoyed getting to sit near the bar. Our food was decent, but not the quality we expected after reading other reviews. Might have been an off night, but we'll definitely be back to hang out at the bar.Special Features:
- One of Indy's BestUniqueEatsDined on 10/25/2014My husband and I don't get to go out a lot and we are very picky when we do. Union 50 had a really fun, unique menu and the execution to back it up. We've seen a lot of great menus, but Union 50 is one of the few who do it right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it ... 3rd visit coming upDwntwnconciergeVIPDined on 10/18/2014The food, the atmosphere, the service was amazing ... Foodies paradise!!! A must see... Welcome to the neighborhood !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Home Runluv2eatDined on 10/18/2014Cunningham restaurant group hit another home run with the addition of Union 50 to the company's entourage of restaurants. My favorite food time is the Chiliquilles with a fried egg on top! Yum! Yum! Thank you, Mike Cunningham for giving us so many wonderful restaurant options in this fabulous city! AndreaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed feelingsMixedDined on 10/17/2014This was my first experience at Union 50. I liked the reservation experience. The system was great. My overall experience was good. Service was good. Noise in the restaurant section, however, was an issue for my quests an me. I had mixed feelings about the new layout of the restaurant section. The rolling oversized tables were a distraction for me and my guests. Having to roll out the table to get in and out of the seats or to have the staff bus the table was a hastle. We liked the food we ordered and it was well presented. The bar was very well laid out and was an exciting environment.Special Features:
- Great new findddrchick02Dined on 10/15/2014Union 50 was recommended by a friend who saw an article in the Sunday paper. The waitress we had (Kathleen) was fantastic! She explained the entire menu to us and how things worked. The food was delicious! I will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indy Gemnjm40Dined on 10/13/2014This was our first visit to Union 50 but will not be our last. Over the last few years, Indianapolis has added several new restaurants and we think this one is very special. Our server was very knowledgeable about the food and drinks. She was attentive without being obtrusive. We loved the fact an old building now has a new life. It was just lots of fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Erinwesley3Dined on 10/10/2014Suprisingly excellent food! Will def be going again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Packed earlySallySVIPDined on 10/8/2014We went to this bar scene restaurant for a 7:15 reservation. Tables were filled early and all but cleared out by 8:30 when the guitar man started to sing. I felt kinda sorry for him... I would still with sharable plates unless you get the smoked pork chop. Huge and very good/I've heard it is about the only entree to order. Many good small plates but the figs, bacon and creme fresh somehow missed the mark. I think that sometimes you have to actually know how to put bacon with things. Great atmosphere, great bar/wines, food I give an average.Special Features:
- Love the foodKarenDined on 10/8/2014This was our 2nd trip to Union 50. Love the small plates concept - each time we get 3 dishes to share. Love the mushrooms, meatloaf, fries, pulled pork poutine, chicken schnitzel. Generous pour for the wine. Great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice Mass Ave additionKsodekDined on 10/5/2014Urband 50 is an absolute fit for the Mass Ave area - trendy but not super-pretentious, upscale but not scary. The clientele included everyone from Colts fans after the game to couples out for dinner, with a nice mix of ages (not just 20 something's). But the SOUP! I mean, you don't see it and say 'yay, soup'. Kale and lemon soup, sounds weird. Get a bowl and let everyone try it. I guarantee someone will order it. Creamy, savory, just a touch of lemon and very tender cuts of kale. Delicious. The scallops were also noteworthy, along with some pretty good paella. Drinks are well-made and the wait staff was excellent. A great evening out with friends, even live music (sax player) on a Sunday night. Well worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service was awesome!Lovin2eatoutDined on 10/5/2014Very accommodating. The Chief made a dish especially for me. Now that's service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will returnbigcheeseDined on 10/4/2014We listened to our friends that recommended the Duck.. My Wife an I split it. If I had to do it all over again I would eat the Duck and she would order something else. One of the appetizers - fig if I remember correctly was awesome.Special Features:
- Worth a tripBillVIPDined on 10/3/2014A new gem in the Mass Ave. are of Indianapolis. Outstanding service to compliment great food. There is absolutely no rush to complete a meal. Young crowd, but I felt more than welcome. Another jewel in the crown from those who gave us Mesh.Special Features:
- Great food, great serviceSavorLifeDined on 9/29/2014I took some colleagues from Europe here for a late dinner. We sat outside, and the weather was perfect, and the open fires took a little chill off. Our server was perfect .. friendly, knowledgable, and great suggestions .. And the food was very good. While the menu is not vast, everyone found something to enjoy and share, and even classics had an inspired twist we enjoyed. Definitely will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie HeavenSeppichdailyDined on 9/26/2014Easily the best food I've ever had at a restaurant in Indianapolis. The only disappointment was our server. You could tell he was wanting to flip our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, food & atmosphere.JasonDined on 9/24/2014Took my wife there for her birthday. We really enjoyed every aspect of our night: great food and jovial atmosphere. Our server, Kathleen, did an amazing job at explaining the menu and being personable. We loved the fries with duck fat + rosemary!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.