327 Battleground Avenue
Greensboro, NC 27401Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.undercurrentrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (336) 370-1266
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch hours are Monday – Friday from 11:30-2:00
Dinner hours Monday-Wednesday from 5:30-9:00
Thursday-Saturday from 5:30-9:30
Closed on Sundays except during Furniture MKT, Easter, and Mother’s Day
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Harkenreader
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We can but we look at each catering job as to whether we can or can not accommodate.
- Private Party Facilities: Undercurrent, a Piedmont Triad favorite for its New American Cuisine, offers some of the best private dining fare in the city of Greensboro. We have exemplary private dining for the most discerning of palates and work with all different budget levels.
- Private Party Contact: Ben Roberts, owner 3363701266
- Special Events: Sign up for our newsletter to find our all of the many special events we put on here at Undercurrent. www.undercurrentrestaurant.com
A word from Undercurrent Restaurant
Owners, Susan and Chef Ben Roberts invite you to enjoy our Contemporary American Cuisine where we utilize Classical French cooking techniques with global influences. With our 150 bottle wine list with 50 wines by the glass, Undercurrent has been recognized multiple years by both Wine Spectator and Wine Enthusiast. We have been rated consistently tops in our class of restaurants. The ambiance is truly one of the nicest in the area with big tables, nice chairs, and ample space for you while dining. We now have a truly fabulous patio area. We seat our patio on a "first come first served basis". Please comment in your reservation notes that you would prefer the patio if available and we'll do our best to accommodate, but it is best to come in early. A comfortable bar is available to begin your dining experience or to visit after you dine. Please join us and let the capable staff at Undercurrent make your lunch or dinner a wonderful experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Undercurrent Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Greensboro ›
Undercurrent Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
101 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (77)special occasion (72)romantic (53)neighborhood gem (38)good for groups (37)notable wine list (37)great for lunch (32)great for outdoor dining (17)hot spot (9)vibrant bar scene (8)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Probably the best entree I have ever hadLTEODined on 11/20/2014I had the pork chop with risotto for lunch and it is likely the best meal I have ever had - the blend of flavors - temperature - taste - presentation - all incredible. The pumpkin cheese cake was memorable as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SmoothHenryVIPDined on 11/19/2014With a new/old team in place, dinner was a seamless joy. Great service from Allison and the wait staff, two very good soups, exotic falafel and a delicious small steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!kbeatswellDined on 11/17/2014Wow! Can't say enough about this place. The chef is very talented and he has trained his staff well. The salads are inventive with a twist or two your would not expect, same with the main dishes. Every it is is deliciously prepared and executed flawlessly. Service was excellent, granted it was a slow night but I would expect the same great service on a busier night. Dining room and bar are lovely. They spent a lot of time and money on this renovation. Overall a fab ovules experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They tryFoodie13Dined on 11/10/2014The ambiance was delightful and the service was pleasant, besides the waiter's consistent need to step out for a smoke and come back reeking of it. The menu is short so there is a feeling they are creating each item to perfection. However, each of the three plates we tried were very unimpressive. Their special for the day, the lamb, was uniquely flavored and paired with off putting tastes. Their signature crab cake dish was a mosh posh of everything in the kitchen. There was no outstanding flavor unless you tried to eat the crab cake without touching any of the other dozen accompanying flavors. We had high hopes for this seemingly unique neighborhood gem. Yet, we were disappointed enough to note this as a place not to return to for us.
- UndercurrentSandeeVIPDined on 11/7/2014This restaurant consistently delivers. Interesting menu choices and flavors always deliver. And the service is always warm and friendly. We love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business lunchLaurDined on 10/31/2014The quality of service and food one receives at Undercurrent is always high. I frequently bring colleagues to business lunches here. The menu is changed regularly but anything that I have ever ordered has been impressive. The lunch menu is small but maintains a good variety for all types of eaters. It's also in a good location to walk from many downtown offices.Special Features:
- Highly recommendVisitingncDined on 10/30/2014Food was exceptional, server and kitchen were flexible, knowledgeable and it was a great mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoofsterDined on 10/30/2014This was our sixth visit. It has been excellent every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentcmbkVIPDined on 10/30/2014Wonderful dinner- seasonal food, locally sourced. Love the choices of small and large portions. Nice space but noise level not too much. Lamb entree and smoked pork tenderloin were really spectacular, as was the Appalachian Apple cake, very unusual. Wine list is wonderful. Only criticism, and minor considering the wine choices, is cocktails don't seem to be the best. Our waiter was well-informed, attentive and friendly without being too intrusive. Nice to see wait staff who appear to be making a career of it rather than a stepping stone. Wish we lived closer, would be a regular if we lived nearby.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rongazeDined on 10/24/2014I recommend this restaurant for special occasions. The food was great and very attractive. We love seafood paired with special vegetables from the South. We got exactly what we love. The desserts were large and we did not leave one bite. Two recommendations: 1) Always comment on a special occasion- we put on reservation and no one wished us a happy anniversary. 2) Lower the lighting level to make it seem less like a diner. Also the service was very good Several staff checked in on us making sure that our needs were met.Special Features:
- Undercurrenttori2Dined on 10/24/2014First time. Loved it all except the reception. Gentleman has no class as he complained about his staff and said he felt like he was running a kindergarten. Not sure if he was owner or manager but he needs a tuneup.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is an excellent restaruant.hungrymanDined on 10/24/2014This is not an enexpensive restaruant, but it is worth it. Food, staff are excellent and attentive. I made a special request that was off the menu and it was accommodated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FurniturefoodieDined on 10/21/2014It was the best meal and the service was excellent great atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/20/2014Food was really good. Sweet potato and crab bisque was incredible. I had the scallops and my friend the pumpkin swordfish special and both were equally tasty. For desert we split the blueberry bread pudding upon our server's recommendation and he was right to suggest it. It was scrumptious.Special Features:
- Consistently excellentHappyDinerDined on 10/20/2014The menu changes often enogh to provide a great variety of choice, but the quality remains consistent. I have eaten both lunch and dinner at the Undercurrent and have been really pleased with the service, tastes and ambiance. This restaurant rivals Manahttan counterparts.Special Features:
- New Menu SuccessesHenryVIPDined on 10/9/2014Falafel at Undercurrent, innovative and delicious; Joyce Farms chicken with collards and grits cake, perfectly done; Corvina with soba noodles, well done, too. All on the patio with seamless service on a beautiful night. More wonderful sounding dishes on this menu for out next visit. Thanks, Michael, Klaude and Ben.Special Features:
- A great local restaurantTracyDined on 10/8/2014We dined at Undercurrent with friends who had come from Princeton, New Jersey to visit. They were impressed with the building, the interior design and the ambiance of Undercurrent. Allison is an excellent waitress who relates well to customers, but some wait times were long. Our food was either very good or excellent, with the exception of the crab cakes, which my husband had and did not like very much at all. He loves crab cakes, but thought these did not taste very good. He didn't finish them, which is highly unusual for him. Posole soup was delicious and unique. The fried oyster salad was fabulous.Special Features:
- UndercurrentWJC722VIPDined on 10/8/2014I read the reviews before dining here and found the food here is beyond excellent!! Interesting and creative combinations in all areas. For me this will be a place I would come back to if ever in Greensboro. Loved my scallop dish which is normally served with wild rice but they substituted smoked mashed potatoes, topped the dish with a ragu of thinly sliced red peppers and onions, fresh arugula and marcona almonds. Absolutely perfect! My salad was also off the charts!Special Features:
- just delicious!deliciousDined on 10/8/2014Am always more than satisfied from my dining experience at the Undercurrent. Yesterday I took a client who loves crabcakes and she exclaimed it was the best she's eaten! The presentation of food is beautiful. My cauliflower soup was exquisite with Mayflower blue cheese and bacon crumbles on top. Recommend unequivocally!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014One of the best dining experiences in Greensboro with a classical interior with a fresh modern twist. The attention to the delectable menu is unique and exciting. The duck entree and scallops entree were truly memorable. The bread pudding with a Carmel glaze was tremendous. It was a lovely experience for a special birthday!Special Features:
- romanticdinnersDined on 9/27/2014My wife loved her duck and my crab cakes were perfect. We wanted to take a dessert home, unfortunately most of the dessert menu was ice cream orientedSpecial Features:
- Memorable food choicesBellabitesDined on 9/26/2014My husband, teenage daughter and I went for a post college tour dinner and were met by Laura, our lovely waitress who epitomized Southern hospitality. We had a combination of small plates and large and were so grateful for the option due to the later dining hour. My duck and dumplings were a highlight- tender meat with pillowy light gnocchi and a well balanced creamy sauce. My husband's scallops were generous and had a nice crust to them. My daughter loved her crab cake which had wonderfully large pieces of meat and a great corn salsa side. Dessert was the chocolate tart and again, did not disappoint. The real surprise was the avocado ice cream. My daughter asked for a taste and we wish we could have gotten a gallon to take home!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarianneVIPDined on 9/24/2014Second time there and was not disappointed. I drove over an hour and it was worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- liked the locationlisa10VIPDined on 9/23/2014It has been a while since we have been to Undercurrents. The new location was great. The food was really good. It was a little loud. The service was very good and everyone was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoiseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2014Because we were seated by the hostess area for handicapp accommodations, it was very noisy and difficult to hear each other later in the evening.As usual, the food was fantastic!!Special Features:
- Bryson5VIPDined on 9/19/2014Second visit. First experince was good, second was a disaster. Poorly trained wait staff was confused on specials and dripped wine all over the table. Lamb chops were undercooked and when returned were just ruined. Overpriced/underdelivered.
- Hidden GemJamesVIPDined on 9/17/2014Most people forget about Undercurrent because it's a few blocks off Elm St. The chef does a good job refreshing the menu and ensuring the dishes have some zest and flavor. The staff is attentive without hovering. It's surprising that the prices for lunch are the same as Nattys or Greys given the quality and service is much better.
- Always fantasticNYreviewDined on 9/10/2014My wife and I were celebrating our 5th year wedding anniversary so we had to choose Undercurrent. We have been there several times and the service, wine and food has always been perfect. My wife loves the duck and has had it several times so I had to try it this time. Out of this world. Every time she has had it, it has been prepared differently but wonderful. The people are so friendly and provide excellent service. Highly recommend the Undercurrent to anyone that wants a special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice experienceJanetDined on 9/8/2014Recommended by a friend , we brought our son & his new fiancé, along with our daughter & son-in-law for a nice dinner. Our waitress was very attentive and not intrusive, thanks! Good experience for all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent mealdaarmy1Dined on 9/6/2014We have been to the Undercurrent many times over the years. The food is always very good, but this time was one of our best meals. My wife ordered the Scottish salmon and absolutely loved it. I had a rack of lamb that was prepared in a middle eastern fashion. I am a big fan of middle eastern cuisine and was very pleased with the result. We ended the meal with the seasonal strawberry-rhubarb bread pudding which was excellent as well. We enjoyed our meal outside on the very comfortable patio. Overall an excellent meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food in GreensboroDineLocalDined on 9/4/2014Fantastic find! Chef Michael does amazing things with fresh local ingredients ,we cannot wait to return. Great experience with staff and owners, you will not be disappointed!Special Features:
- Consistently deliciousLTEODined on 9/4/2014I always have lunch at the Undercurrent when I am in Greensboro. The food is delicious - incredible breads - crab cakes - and memorable deserts. The chocolate tort is a must!Special Features:
- UndercurrentGoldenDinerDined on 8/29/2014Excellent service and ambiance. My friend loved her redfish and garlic pasta. I thought the blackened grilled salmon was wonderful. The only food item I did not particularly enjoy was the kale salad. Ihave had much better. This was a little strong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too much going onMnMgo1ngVIPDined on 8/27/2014The spinach salad I had prior to the entree was excellent however the fish dish a special that night had too many flavors going on. I was not surewhy do much stuff (fish on top of noodles, grillled squash, corn with crab meat and tomato on top of the fish) was placed on one plate. Overall disappointed in the entree.
- Hidden gem!FoodgemsDined on 8/18/2014I went to the Undercurrent for a lunch date and was pleasantly surprised. The atmosphere was quiet, with a great ambience. The food was amazing! My first time, but most definitely not my last.Special Features:
- UndercurrentSandeeVIPDined on 8/15/2014Undercurrent is my new favorite dining spot in Greensboro. Always great food and great fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerJimkellyDined on 8/13/2014Went there to celebrate my wife turning 50 years young. Great food, friendly staff, all around good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a great timeHimerosDined on 8/9/2014We had an amazing dinner at Undercurrent. Started with some wine (great bottle and half-bottle selections) and the lobster spring rolls. I had a double order of the Beef Tataki (small plate), and my partner had the Rainbow Trout. We both thoroughly enjoyed our dinner. I loved the tataki, it was an entirely cold dish, which I was expecting, but I could see how someone might be expecting something to be warm. We weren't too impressed with the dessert options; however, we had a perfected, chocolate martini. Our server, Perry, was very informative and was well aware of proper serving etiquette. We both agreed that the service was outstanding. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- Greensboro gemSandruDined on 8/8/2014We have eaten at Undercurrent for many years. We have attended private parties for birthdays, wine dinners and anniversaries. We have been happy with the food and service for all of these. The patio is lovely and well appointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent local restaurantflemingDined on 8/6/2014The menu was creative and sourced from regional suppliers which was great to see. Flavors were perfectly balanced with great presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.