327 Battleground Avenue
Greensboro, NC 27401Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.undercurrentrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3363701266
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch hours are Monday – Friday from 11:30-2:00
Dinner hours Monday-Wednesday from 5:30-9:00
Thursday-Saturday from 5:30-9:30
Closed on Sundays except during Furniture MKT, Easter, and Mother’s Day
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Harkenreader
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We can but we look at each catering job as to whether we can or can not accommodate.
- Private Party Facilities: Undercurrent, a Piedmont Triad favorite for its New American Cuisine, offers some of the best private dining fare in the city of Greensboro. We have exemplary private dining for the most discerning of palates and work with all different budget levels.
- Private Party Contact: Ben Roberts, owner 3363701266
- Special Events: Sign up for our newsletter to find our all of the many special events we put on here at Undercurrent. www.undercurrentrestaurant.com
A word from Undercurrent Restaurant
Owners, Susan and Chef Ben Roberts invite you to enjoy our Contemporary American Cuisine where we utilize Classical French cooking techniques with global influences. With our 150 bottle wine list with 50 wines by the glass, Undercurrent has been recognized multiple years by both Wine Spectator and Wine Enthusiast. We have been rated consistently tops in our class of restaurants. The ambiance is truly one of the nicest in the area with big tables, nice chairs, and ample space for you while dining. We now have a truly fabulous patio area. We seat our patio on a "first come first served basis". Please comment in your reservation notes that you would prefer the patio if available and we'll do our best to accommodate, but it is best to come in early. A comfortable bar is available to begin your dining experience or to visit after you dine. Please join us and let the capable staff at Undercurrent make your lunch or dinner a wonderful experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Undercurrent Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Greensboro ›
Undercurrent Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
99 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (76)fit for foodies (64)romantic (57)notable wine list (39)great for lunch (38)neighborhood gem (34)good for groups (30)great for outdoor dining (19)hot spot (12)vibrant bar scene (10)great for brunch (7)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Hidden GemJamesVIPDined on 9/17/2014Most people forget about Undercurrent because it's a few blocks off Elm St. The chef does a good job refreshing the menu and ensuring the dishes have some zest and flavor. The staff is attentive without hovering. It's surprising that the prices for lunch are the same as Nattys or Greys given the quality and service is much better.
- Always fantasticNYreviewDined on 9/10/2014My wife and I were celebrating our 5th year wedding anniversary so we had to choose Undercurrent. We have been there several times and the service, wine and food has always been perfect. My wife loves the duck and has had it several times so I had to try it this time. Out of this world. Every time she has had it, it has been prepared differently but wonderful. The people are so friendly and provide excellent service. Highly recommend the Undercurrent to anyone that wants a special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice experienceJanetDined on 9/8/2014Recommended by a friend , we brought our son & his new fiancé, along with our daughter & son-in-law for a nice dinner. Our waitress was very attentive and not intrusive, thanks! Good experience for all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food in GreensboroDineLocalDined on 9/4/2014Fantastic find! Chef Michael does amazing things with fresh local ingredients ,we cannot wait to return. Great experience with staff and owners, you will not be disappointed!Special Features:
- Consistently deliciousLTEODined on 9/4/2014I always have lunch at the Undercurrent when I am in Greensboro. The food is delicious - incredible breads - crab cakes - and memorable deserts. The chocolate tort is a must!Special Features:
- UndercurrentGoldenDinerDined on 8/29/2014Excellent service and ambiance. My friend loved her redfish and garlic pasta. I thought the blackened grilled salmon was wonderful. The only food item I did not particularly enjoy was the kale salad. Ihave had much better. This was a little strong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too much going onMnMgo1ngVIPDined on 8/27/2014The spinach salad I had prior to the entree was excellent however the fish dish a special that night had too many flavors going on. I was not surewhy do much stuff (fish on top of noodles, grillled squash, corn with crab meat and tomato on top of the fish) was placed on one plate. Overall disappointed in the entree.
- Hidden gem!FoodgemsDined on 8/18/2014I went to the Undercurrent for a lunch date and was pleasantly surprised. The atmosphere was quiet, with a great ambience. The food was amazing! My first time, but most definitely not my last.Special Features:
- UndercurrentSandeeVIPDined on 8/15/2014Undercurrent is my new favorite dining spot in Greensboro. Always great food and great fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerJimkellyDined on 8/13/2014Went there to celebrate my wife turning 50 years young. Great food, friendly staff, all around good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a great timeHimerosDined on 8/9/2014We had an amazing dinner at Undercurrent. Started with some wine (great bottle and half-bottle selections) and the lobster spring rolls. I had a double order of the Beef Tataki (small plate), and my partner had the Rainbow Trout. We both thoroughly enjoyed our dinner. I loved the tataki, it was an entirely cold dish, which I was expecting, but I could see how someone might be expecting something to be warm. We weren't too impressed with the dessert options; however, we had a perfected, chocolate martini. Our server, Perry, was very informative and was well aware of proper serving etiquette. We both agreed that the service was outstanding. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- Greensboro gemSandruDined on 8/8/2014We have eaten at Undercurrent for many years. We have attended private parties for birthdays, wine dinners and anniversaries. We have been happy with the food and service for all of these. The patio is lovely and well appointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent local restaurantflemingDined on 8/6/2014The menu was creative and sourced from regional suppliers which was great to see. Flavors were perfectly balanced with great presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice SpotJMWSNCDined on 8/4/2014Enjoyed our meal. Nice setting and very solid service.Special Features:
- Not MemorablegregnDined on 8/1/2014food lacked seasoning and then my wifes entree was over seasoned, scallops so salty they were bitter, very forgettable experience, we eat out every friday and spend $100, but not again here. it was lobster night, the crowd seemed "dated".
- Excellent food and presentationSandruDined on 7/30/2014We have been coming to Ben's Restaurant for many years. We have never had a bad experience. Chef always keeps coming up with new ideas.SSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience!TastesGreatDined on 7/25/2014Undercurrent Restaurant never disappoints - whether I'm dining with close friends or having lunch with co-workers. There are menu items to please everyone's palette. I especially enjoy the seafood dishes such as the crab cakes and cornmeal dusted carolina catfish; not to mention the fried oyster salad. The other day my friends raved over the flavor of the pulled pork sandwich. And please, don't stop making that fabulous bread pudding dessert. As you can tell, I am a 'regular' because the menu selections are always on par. The recent renovations are impressive and the waitstaff is friendly, knowledgeable and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite place in GreensborofoodfamilyfriendsDined on 7/22/2014We are greeted by the staff with friendliness every time we come. The food is well prepared. A favorite of mine is the fried oyster salad because the oysters are lightly breaded and very tender, there is an interesting variety of salad greens, and the salad dressing is light and refreshing. The wait staff is very knowledgeable and have a perfect balance between friendliness and professionalism.Special Features:
- A Wonderful TimenazzDined on 7/15/2014We went to The Undercurrent to celebrate several birthdays. The service was great and the food was amazing! All five of us thoroughly enjoyed our dinners and the desserts were to die for! We will definitely be dining here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date night!MrsGoldyDined on 7/12/2014My husband and I have been spoiled having lived in Chicago for many years and like to consider ourselves "foodies." It has been difficult finding restaurants that match up to the quality we were used to. After going to Undercurrent we felt like we had been back in the big city and will certainly be back! The menu has unique twists like freekeh and quinoa stuffing and it was all wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently fineREGNYCVIPDined on 7/9/2014Undercurrent does it all well. The tables are far enough apart to have good conversation. The ceilings are high. The decor is understated. Menus change and are just the right size in terms of number of selections. Service is impeccable. Food is excellent. A sure thing.Special Features:
- consistentHarvVIPDined on 7/8/2014Always enjoy the food and ambiance at Undercurrent. Consistently good food and service.Special Features:
- Great foodLuv4foodDined on 7/7/2014One of the best interesting tasty healthy food selection we liked everything that we triedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SasgolfDined on 7/3/2014Excellent as always. One of our favorites in GreensboroSpecial Features:
- could be betterOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/3/2014We've been several times - the atmosphere is quite nice, service very warm and friendly - this time the food just missed. We noticed a relatively new menu this time. It seems that at times there is the tendency to make food items that are overly 'foody/fancy', while paying too little attention to basic, good food. For example, the vegetable terrine didnt seem to work well - no 'fresh vegetables', everything pickled and molded together. Lobster spring rolls and entrée better, but a bit under-seasoned. After words I was thinking to myself, 'chef Ramsay could help'.
- Good but not as good as......BilTinDined on 6/28/2014We had not been to the Undercurrent since its move, and the restaurant is really very nice; however, the tables are pretty close together. The food was good but too many different sauces, etc. for one presentation. No-one can make a real Perfect Rob Roy cocktail. Overall, this was good but not as nice or as enjoyable as Print Works!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful farm to table foodJessDined on 6/26/2014We enjoyed the ambience and service, and the food was delicious. The lobster and shrimp spring rolls were the best spring rolls we've had. The crab cake was almost all crab - and paired with delicious sauces and sides. The lamb was prepared well. We also appreciated the diverse wine list, which includes by-the-glass, half-bottle, and bottle options. Undercurrent would be fabulous for special occasion dining, but I'll also be back anytime I'm in the mood for a creative menu, featuring fresh, in-season food.Special Features:
- UndercurrentSandeeVIPDined on 6/21/2014We had a wonderful experience. The restaurant was warm and welcoming and the food and service were outstanding. It is our new favorite place for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceNumerOneFanDined on 6/20/2014The dinner was fabulous! Thank you and the entire staff, especially the chef, very much for an awesome dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another wonderful experience !!MagnificentDined on 6/20/2014As ALWAYS, my wife and I had a delicious meal, magnificently prepared, professionally served, in a wonderful setting!! The tilefish special and the crab cakes were superb !! (As usual, I should add . . . )Special Features:
- Must ExperienceIronMountainManDined on 6/17/2014When I first walked in the dining area wasn't crowded at all. My guest and I were greeted by the friendliest waitress (Lynn) and we struck up a conversation immediaetly. Lynn made some suggestions and I was very pleased especially with the fried green tomatoes. The overall dining experience was fantastic. If I travel to Greensboro in the future I will definitely be going back to Undercurrent.Special Features:
- A Real Findstacha70Dined on 6/16/2014I was visiting my dad in Greensboro, looking for a really nice restaurant for a belated Father's Day dinner. We decided to give Undercurrent a try. We were not disappointed. The restaurant was really quiet (it was Monday night), but the staff was ready to serve. We were shown to a nice table, and our server - Lori - came by to introduce herself and tell us about the specials. Lori was great - attentive without being intrusive. There is nothing worse than the server who stops by the "check on you" every 30 seconds! The food was delicious. My dad had the ribeye. He said it was prepared perfectly. I had grilled salmon - also wonderful. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great for special occasionsNYreviewDined on 6/16/2014My wife took me out for my birthday and I chose the Undercurrent because I love it and I know she does too. The food is always excellent and the staff is very knowledgeable of the the food and the great number of fine wines. We love that they change their menu often so you get a chance to try various dishes. Service is very friendly and just the way you want it. My wife just loves the duck and I love their fish. I had their rainbow trout this time. The atmosphere is romantic and quiet for intimate conversations. We never have had a disappointing meal there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner was greatContriceDined on 6/14/2014Took my hubby here for his Fathers Day dinner and we thought everything was great. Our server was on top of everything and had great menu recommendations. The table we sat in was pretty close to another table so we could hear their conversation and I'm sure they could hear ours. That's my only complaint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceRon1972Dined on 6/6/2014This was my first visit to Undercurrent, and will certainly not be my last. The service was great. The food was awesome. It was three days ago that I had the meal, but I am still talking about it as I encounter my friends and family. I am looking forward to my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experiencetravelsnobDined on 5/31/2014We went to Undercurrent to celebrate a graduation. Glad we picked this restaurant. Great food, our server, Lynn, was outstanding. I highly recommend this place to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner with flexibilityMalikRomeloDined on 5/30/2014Our dinners at Undercurrent are consistently outstanding. We visited Undercurrent on this occasion to share this wonderful dining experience with family who had never been. They also had to being their 6 year old daughter along with us. Undercurrent did not have a kids menu, but were able to create something for their daughter on the fly that she thought was just as amazing as our dinners were to us. The White Chocolate Blue Berry Bread Pudding is exceptional, and it is a must on your visit. Thanks Undercurrent for being an amazing local gem.Special Features:
- Consistently great!ChesVIPDined on 5/29/2014Love having lunch and dinner at Undercurrent! It is a favorite that never fails to please.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific MealLFK1Dined on 5/24/2014We were there to celebrate a graduation, and when they confirmed on the phone, they said they couldn't add space for two more people because they were fully booked. When we got there, half the tables were unoccupied, and they didn't become occupied. Nevertheless, we had a wonderful meal. The decor was tasteful, the service competent and friendly, the food was excellent as was the bottle wine the server suggested. They were flexible about making some changes to our dishes, and we were neither kept waiting nor rushed through the meal. I would be happy to go there again if I am ever in Greensboro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 615 reviews are from the Undercurrent Restaurant reviews archive.
- MarianneVIPDined on 5/13/2014This was my first time and hopefully, not my last. It was very good and so different!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.