327 Battleground Avenue
Greensboro, NC 27401Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.undercurrentrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3363701266
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch hours are Monday – Friday from 11:30-2:00
Dinner hours Monday-Wednesday from 5:30-9:00
Thursday-Saturday from 5:30-9:30
Closed on Sundays except during Furniture MKT, Easter, and Mother’s Day
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Harkenreader
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We can but we look at each catering job as to whether we can or can not accommodate.
- Private Party Facilities: Undercurrent, a Piedmont Triad favorite for its New American Cuisine, offers some of the best private dining fare in the city of Greensboro. We have exemplary private dining for the most discerning of palates and work with all different budget levels.
- Private Party Contact: Ben Roberts, owner 3363701266
- Special Events: Sign up for our newsletter to find our all of the many special events we put on here at Undercurrent. www.undercurrentrestaurant.com
A word from Undercurrent Restaurant
Owners, Susan and Chef Ben Roberts invite you to enjoy our Contemporary American Cuisine where we utilize Classical French cooking techniques with global influences. With our 150 bottle wine list with 50 wines by the glass, Undercurrent has been recognized multiple years by both Wine Spectator and Wine Enthusiast. We have been rated consistently tops in our class of restaurants. The ambiance is truly one of the nicest in the area with big tables, nice chairs, and ample space for you while dining. We now have a truly fabulous patio area. We seat our patio on a "first come first served basis". Please comment in your reservation notes that you would prefer the patio if available and we'll do our best to accommodate, but it is best to come in early. A comfortable bar is available to begin your dining experience or to visit after you dine. Please join us and let the capable staff at Undercurrent make your lunch or dinner a wonderful experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Undercurrent Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Greensboro ›
Undercurrent Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (78)fit for foodies (78)romantic (54)notable wine list (44)great for lunch (40)neighborhood gem (39)good for groups (37)great for outdoor dining (20)hot spot (10)vibrant bar scene (9)great for brunch (4)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/21/2014It was the best meal and the service was excellent great atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/20/2014Food was really good. Sweet potato and crab bisque was incredible. I had the scallops and my friend the pumpkin swordfish special and both were equally tasty. For desert we split the blueberry bread pudding upon our server's recommendation and he was right to suggest it. It was scrumptious.Special Features:
- Consistently excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014The menu changes often enogh to provide a great variety of choice, but the quality remains consistent. I have eaten both lunch and dinner at the Undercurrent and have been really pleased with the service, tastes and ambiance. This restaurant rivals Manahttan counterparts.Special Features:
- New Menu SuccessesHenryVIPDined on 10/9/2014Falafel at Undercurrent, innovative and delicious; Joyce Farms chicken with collards and grits cake, perfectly done; Corvina with soba noodles, well done, too. All on the patio with seamless service on a beautiful night. More wonderful sounding dishes on this menu for out next visit. Thanks, Michael, Klaude and Ben.Special Features:
- A great local restaurantTracyDined on 10/8/2014We dined at Undercurrent with friends who had come from Princeton, New Jersey to visit. They were impressed with the building, the interior design and the ambiance of Undercurrent. Allison is an excellent waitress who relates well to customers, but some wait times were long. Our food was either very good or excellent, with the exception of the crab cakes, which my husband had and did not like very much at all. He loves crab cakes, but thought these did not taste very good. He didn't finish them, which is highly unusual for him. Posole soup was delicious and unique. The fried oyster salad was fabulous.Special Features:
- UndercurrentWJC722VIPDined on 10/8/2014I read the reviews before dining here and found the food here is beyond excellent!! Interesting and creative combinations in all areas. For me this will be a place I would come back to if ever in Greensboro. Loved my scallop dish which is normally served with wild rice but they substituted smoked mashed potatoes, topped the dish with a ragu of thinly sliced red peppers and onions, fresh arugula and marcona almonds. Absolutely perfect! My salad was also off the charts!Special Features:
- just delicious!deliciousDined on 10/8/2014Am always more than satisfied from my dining experience at the Undercurrent. Yesterday I took a client who loves crabcakes and she exclaimed it was the best she's eaten! The presentation of food is beautiful. My cauliflower soup was exquisite with Mayflower blue cheese and bacon crumbles on top. Recommend unequivocally!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014One of the best dining experiences in Greensboro with a classical interior with a fresh modern twist. The attention to the delectable menu is unique and exciting. The duck entree and scallops entree were truly memorable. The bread pudding with a Carmel glaze was tremendous. It was a lovely experience for a special birthday!Special Features:
- romanticdinnersDined on 9/27/2014My wife loved her duck and my crab cakes were perfect. We wanted to take a dessert home, unfortunately most of the dessert menu was ice cream orientedSpecial Features:
- Memorable food choicesBellabitesDined on 9/26/2014My husband, teenage daughter and I went for a post college tour dinner and were met by Laura, our lovely waitress who epitomized Southern hospitality. We had a combination of small plates and large and were so grateful for the option due to the later dining hour. My duck and dumplings were a highlight- tender meat with pillowy light gnocchi and a well balanced creamy sauce. My husband's scallops were generous and had a nice crust to them. My daughter loved her crab cake which had wonderfully large pieces of meat and a great corn salsa side. Dessert was the chocolate tart and again, did not disappoint. The real surprise was the avocado ice cream. My daughter asked for a taste and we wish we could have gotten a gallon to take home!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarianneVIPDined on 9/24/2014Second time there and was not disappointed. I drove over an hour and it was worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- liked the locationlisa10VIPDined on 9/23/2014It has been a while since we have been to Undercurrents. The new location was great. The food was really good. It was a little loud. The service was very good and everyone was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoiseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2014Because we were seated by the hostess area for handicapp accommodations, it was very noisy and difficult to hear each other later in the evening.As usual, the food was fantastic!!Special Features:
- Bryson5VIPDined on 9/19/2014Second visit. First experince was good, second was a disaster. Poorly trained wait staff was confused on specials and dripped wine all over the table. Lamb chops were undercooked and when returned were just ruined. Overpriced/underdelivered.
- Hidden GemJamesVIPDined on 9/17/2014Most people forget about Undercurrent because it's a few blocks off Elm St. The chef does a good job refreshing the menu and ensuring the dishes have some zest and flavor. The staff is attentive without hovering. It's surprising that the prices for lunch are the same as Nattys or Greys given the quality and service is much better.
- Always fantasticNYreviewDined on 9/10/2014My wife and I were celebrating our 5th year wedding anniversary so we had to choose Undercurrent. We have been there several times and the service, wine and food has always been perfect. My wife loves the duck and has had it several times so I had to try it this time. Out of this world. Every time she has had it, it has been prepared differently but wonderful. The people are so friendly and provide excellent service. Highly recommend the Undercurrent to anyone that wants a special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice experienceJanetDined on 9/8/2014Recommended by a friend , we brought our son & his new fiancé, along with our daughter & son-in-law for a nice dinner. Our waitress was very attentive and not intrusive, thanks! Good experience for all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent mealdaarmy1Dined on 9/6/2014We have been to the Undercurrent many times over the years. The food is always very good, but this time was one of our best meals. My wife ordered the Scottish salmon and absolutely loved it. I had a rack of lamb that was prepared in a middle eastern fashion. I am a big fan of middle eastern cuisine and was very pleased with the result. We ended the meal with the seasonal strawberry-rhubarb bread pudding which was excellent as well. We enjoyed our meal outside on the very comfortable patio. Overall an excellent meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food in GreensboroDineLocalDined on 9/4/2014Fantastic find! Chef Michael does amazing things with fresh local ingredients ,we cannot wait to return. Great experience with staff and owners, you will not be disappointed!Special Features:
- Consistently deliciousLTEODined on 9/4/2014I always have lunch at the Undercurrent when I am in Greensboro. The food is delicious - incredible breads - crab cakes - and memorable deserts. The chocolate tort is a must!Special Features:
- UndercurrentGoldenDinerDined on 8/29/2014Excellent service and ambiance. My friend loved her redfish and garlic pasta. I thought the blackened grilled salmon was wonderful. The only food item I did not particularly enjoy was the kale salad. Ihave had much better. This was a little strong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too much going onMnMgo1ngVIPDined on 8/27/2014The spinach salad I had prior to the entree was excellent however the fish dish a special that night had too many flavors going on. I was not surewhy do much stuff (fish on top of noodles, grillled squash, corn with crab meat and tomato on top of the fish) was placed on one plate. Overall disappointed in the entree.
- Hidden gem!FoodgemsDined on 8/18/2014I went to the Undercurrent for a lunch date and was pleasantly surprised. The atmosphere was quiet, with a great ambience. The food was amazing! My first time, but most definitely not my last.Special Features:
- UndercurrentSandeeVIPDined on 8/15/2014Undercurrent is my new favorite dining spot in Greensboro. Always great food and great fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerJimkellyDined on 8/13/2014Went there to celebrate my wife turning 50 years young. Great food, friendly staff, all around good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a great timeHimerosDined on 8/9/2014We had an amazing dinner at Undercurrent. Started with some wine (great bottle and half-bottle selections) and the lobster spring rolls. I had a double order of the Beef Tataki (small plate), and my partner had the Rainbow Trout. We both thoroughly enjoyed our dinner. I loved the tataki, it was an entirely cold dish, which I was expecting, but I could see how someone might be expecting something to be warm. We weren't too impressed with the dessert options; however, we had a perfected, chocolate martini. Our server, Perry, was very informative and was well aware of proper serving etiquette. We both agreed that the service was outstanding. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- Greensboro gemSandruDined on 8/8/2014We have eaten at Undercurrent for many years. We have attended private parties for birthdays, wine dinners and anniversaries. We have been happy with the food and service for all of these. The patio is lovely and well appointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent local restaurantflemingDined on 8/6/2014The menu was creative and sourced from regional suppliers which was great to see. Flavors were perfectly balanced with great presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice SpotJMWSNCDined on 8/4/2014Enjoyed our meal. Nice setting and very solid service.Special Features:
- Not MemorablegregnDined on 8/1/2014food lacked seasoning and then my wifes entree was over seasoned, scallops so salty they were bitter, very forgettable experience, we eat out every friday and spend $100, but not again here. it was lobster night, the crowd seemed "dated".
- Excellent food and presentationSandruDined on 7/30/2014We have been coming to Ben's Restaurant for many years. We have never had a bad experience. Chef always keeps coming up with new ideas.SSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience!TastesGreatDined on 7/25/2014Undercurrent Restaurant never disappoints - whether I'm dining with close friends or having lunch with co-workers. There are menu items to please everyone's palette. I especially enjoy the seafood dishes such as the crab cakes and cornmeal dusted carolina catfish; not to mention the fried oyster salad. The other day my friends raved over the flavor of the pulled pork sandwich. And please, don't stop making that fabulous bread pudding dessert. As you can tell, I am a 'regular' because the menu selections are always on par. The recent renovations are impressive and the waitstaff is friendly, knowledgeable and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite place in GreensborofoodfamilyfriendsDined on 7/22/2014We are greeted by the staff with friendliness every time we come. The food is well prepared. A favorite of mine is the fried oyster salad because the oysters are lightly breaded and very tender, there is an interesting variety of salad greens, and the salad dressing is light and refreshing. The wait staff is very knowledgeable and have a perfect balance between friendliness and professionalism.Special Features:
- A Wonderful TimenazzDined on 7/15/2014We went to The Undercurrent to celebrate several birthdays. The service was great and the food was amazing! All five of us thoroughly enjoyed our dinners and the desserts were to die for! We will definitely be dining here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date night!MrsGoldyDined on 7/12/2014My husband and I have been spoiled having lived in Chicago for many years and like to consider ourselves "foodies." It has been difficult finding restaurants that match up to the quality we were used to. After going to Undercurrent we felt like we had been back in the big city and will certainly be back! The menu has unique twists like freekeh and quinoa stuffing and it was all wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently fineREGNYCVIPDined on 7/9/2014Undercurrent does it all well. The tables are far enough apart to have good conversation. The ceilings are high. The decor is understated. Menus change and are just the right size in terms of number of selections. Service is impeccable. Food is excellent. A sure thing.Special Features:
- consistentHarvVIPDined on 7/8/2014Always enjoy the food and ambiance at Undercurrent. Consistently good food and service.Special Features:
- Great foodLuv4foodDined on 7/7/2014One of the best interesting tasty healthy food selection we liked everything that we triedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SasgolfDined on 7/3/2014Excellent as always. One of our favorites in GreensboroSpecial Features:
- could be betterOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/3/2014We've been several times - the atmosphere is quite nice, service very warm and friendly - this time the food just missed. We noticed a relatively new menu this time. It seems that at times there is the tendency to make food items that are overly 'foody/fancy', while paying too little attention to basic, good food. For example, the vegetable terrine didnt seem to work well - no 'fresh vegetables', everything pickled and molded together. Lobster spring rolls and entrée better, but a bit under-seasoned. After words I was thinking to myself, 'chef Ramsay could help'.