Under The Moon Cafe
210 Farnsworth Ave.
Bordentown, NJ 08505Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Under The Moon Cafe
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://underthemooncafe.com/
- Phone: (609) 291-8301
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday: 3:00pm - 8:00pm
Monday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian, Spanish
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Catering: Catering options are available upon request.
- Entertainment: Local Artists
A word from Under The Moon Cafe
Under the Moon Cafe was the founding vision of mother and son, Estela and Santiago Orosco. Their concept is a simple one: create a warm and welcoming atmosphere and offer quality, home cooked meals to new and old friends.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Under The Moon Cafe - Best Restaurants in Bordentown ›
Under The Moon Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (53)fit for foodies (41)special occasion (25)romantic (20)good for groups (17)great for lunch (17)great for brunch (7)hot spot (6)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Fun decor, VERY good foodInfrequentReviewerDined on 11/17/2014Darling place that borders on kitsch but doesn't cross the line. Service was perfect! Food was very good - osso buco, as promised, fell off of the bone and was in a delicious savory sauce. The entre plate could have used something in addition to the tasty mound of mashed potatoes, though. I think the menu said "vegetables" though if they were there they must have been buried under the potatoes. Loved the poached pear appetizer. Would definitely come back if I'm ever in the neighborhood again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monday LunchwineanddineVIPDined on 11/17/2014This was the first time I can recall having a quiche (ham and three cheeses). Since I ordered the Caesar salad to start, they gave me some grilled veggies with my quiche, instead of the mixed greens. This was a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be back!Carolw15Dined on 11/15/2014This was our first time, and as I was the one who made the reservation for 6 of us I was hoping for the best. We were not disappointed...atmosphere was funky/eclectic, service great. Several of us had the salmon and it was fantastic. Service great- waitstaff attentive. Only meal that was disappointing was my husbands meatloaf which was dry & overdone. This would not stop us from visiting again. It's a BYOB which was nice. Be aware that parking for any restaurant on Farnsworth Ave. on a Sat. night will be challenging. There is a public lot which fills up quickly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingSmithersDined on 11/14/2014Loved this place! I was seeing a friend I hadn't seen in a while. This was an excellent place to reconnect. Excellent menu, ambience and quiet enough to hear every word. I have a feeling I will look back very fondly on this place for quite some time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An eclectic, delicious gem!JaimemichDined on 11/8/2014Came for girls' night out dinner- great ambiance, friendly service, fantastic food (don't skip dessert- so good!!!), and were not rushed through our stay at the table. Would absolutely return and recommend to others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worthy of your byobscotchontherocksVIPDined on 11/7/2014We needed some good food to go with a terrific Napa meritage to celebrate my wife's 100th birthday. I exaggerate a little, but by the time we are done celebrating this milestone, we will have built up enough celebration credit to last until then. The tapas were wonderful. We shared 3 between us and darling younger daughter (empanada, artichoke souffle, corn brulee), and , all so delicious we forgot we were going to share an entree to leave room for the beautiful desserts in the case. All three entrees (pork chop special, coq au vin special, and Argentine meatloaf) were even better. So, instead of sharing one entree, we shared one dessert. Poor planning on our parts but the good food made us do it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday dinnerDinneroutDined on 11/2/2014Again, a notable experience . The atmosphere is eclectic. Restaurant was decorated for Halloween. Quite impressive. Lots of balloons, spiders , streamers - fun! Service was great. Our waitress has taken care of us several times and she adds to the experience. Our meal was delicious. Appetizer of warm Bree was superb. I recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vault1Dined on 11/1/2014We went on Halloween weekend and the restaurant was decorated and staff was dressed in costumes. Really looked great. Once you walked in you can feel the energy . We had the pre fix menu and it was awesome. We also had the coconut cream pie that was the best I ever had. If you want to try something different, I would recommend trying Under the Moon. It is not your typical restaurant.Special Features:
- Hallowe'en funlovestheaterDined on 11/1/2014Great Hallowe'en decorations, and servers in costume. Food was fabulous, and our server was great. Very creative menu. Music was a little too loud, but it did go along with the Hallowe'en theme.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/1/2014We liked Under the Moon before. We invited a group of 6 others to join us.The meal was disappointing. The steak was chewy, the pork osso bucco was too salty, the pumpkin soup was bland, and the empanadas were tough. Service was fabulous, the place is so charming, I am sorry the food didn't go over well.Special Features:
- Best in townIknowfoodDined on 10/21/2014We had another great dinner at this cafe....the Tuscan shrimp appetizer was to die for, as was the boneless short rib over homemade sweet potato gnocchi. I can't wait to got back, Book early in advance because this place was packed!Special Features:
- Funky Atosphere, Delicious FoodseniordinerDined on 10/21/2014Loved the funky, clever way the restaurant is decorated; tables and chairs, linens and flatware, dishes and glasses are all individual and unique. This is a fun place. The menu is interesting, with small portions available to try at reasonable cost. The food is outstanding. I loved the risotto of the day which featured fresh vegetables. Also loved the desserts available! Only one thing to improve...water for tea should be boiling hot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good butPetesDined on 10/18/2014Ordered a 16oz rib but got a 12 oz rib eye very good apps nice serversSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unique dinning experienceJamesKDined on 10/16/2014First time at this place and I was very impressed with the staff and the food. each dish seemed to be made with great careSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findfoodieloverDined on 10/12/2014First time visiting Bordentown & a great find in restaurant. So creative in both food & atmosphere. Nice selection & diversified menu. Something available for everyone. Service was superb! Such an adorable place to dine with such a great flair for design & fantastic food. The pumkin risotto was a real winner!Special Features:
- First time, not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/12/2014First time at the restaurant this past Sunday. Service was very slow and food was over cooked. Our server was friendly, but had too many tables to wait on and was also the hostess. The busboy serving water and food was not pleasant or helpful. He actually tried to push past my grandmother who was using a cane as we departed the restaurant. Great eclectic and interesting décor. Should be a neighborhood gem, just not my experience.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere, good foodJohannaDined on 9/30/2014We love the interior and the atmosphere - very cozy! Great for Sunday brunch but also for a special dinner with friends or your spouse. The food is rather rich, and they always have something special and interesting on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor choice. Not worth a try.BucksLadyVIPDined on 9/27/2014Decor is overly eclectic. Our waitress was pleasant but servers and bus people extremely unprofessional. B and I shared the arugula salad which was good. R said his split pea soup was good. I had the frutta di mare in a lemon butter sauce over linguine. The mussels were large and chewy; the scallops were hard, the shrimp just ok. The linguine and sauce was tasty. R had special veal stuffed pepper over ravioli He said ravioli very doughy. D had special scallops and pasta with a sun dried tomato cream sauce. He said the flavor was good but the scallops were over cooked and hard. B had pumpkin ravioli which was good. I can never understand (in any restaurant) why staff is allowed to clear plates when some of the guests are still eating.
- Fabulous Find!MAL4CherryHillVIPDined on 9/27/2014It was our first time here and everything about this great restaurant exceeded our expectations! The eclectic atmosphere, the food and service were exceptional! We felt like we were in Manhatten! Can't wait to go back and take some friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday LunchwineanddineVIPDined on 9/20/2014Very nice dining on 3 of there small plates. I always enjoy their Caeaer salad with a couple of other combinations.Special Features:
- Quiet and BeautifulamyfemDined on 8/30/2014Under the Moon lives up to it's name - romantic and unusual. The eclectic vintage decor gives the place so much character, and it's menu is diverse enough to give options, but small enough to be sure the quality is spot on (there was also a great selection of specials). I went with my fiancé and 10 old daughter and we had a wonderful time. We will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice little findtom1234Dined on 8/29/2014Great little eclectic restaurant on the main street in Bordentown City. Food seemed thoughtfully put together. Nice tapas menu. I would go back.Special Features:
- Eclectic and DelishNancyKDined on 8/23/2014When you walk into Under the Moon, you always receive a friendly greeting. The restaurant is very comfortable and so cool. Everything is purposely mismatched and has a cool vibe. When you check out the seasonal menu, it is so difficult to choose your meal.... each item looks more yummy than the next. The servers are very attentive (but not too much) and are so personable. Portions are very generous so plan to enjoy the meal again with leftovers. It's a great place to go. If you are a chocolate lover, the chocolate mousse is second to none. I get it each year on my birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy DinerOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/3/2014I love the décor at Under the Moon. It's all vintage and eclectic. I was served on a plate that was same pattern of dishes my mother owned in the 50's. The food is interesting and delicious. The menu varies with the seasons. Our waitress was helpful and available when needed. She seemed happy with her job. I have been there before and always leave feeling happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less than pleasant diningTraveler60Dined on 8/2/2014Six of us had dinner at Under the Moon being seated at a table with a music speaker directly behind us at ear level. The music was so loud that we asked three different staff if it could be turned down. When there was no change, we easily removed a wire to the speaker. The manager then appeared and angrily told us that we had just turned off the music to half of the restaurant and we should have asked to have it turned down. When we explained that we had multiple times, he simply walked away. Although the crab cakes were very good, the steak and meatloaf were not. The meal ended with a waiter dropping two cappuccinos on several members of our party. The manager did not charge for the five cappuccinos. We won't return.
- Worth the Price!we3ernesDined on 8/2/2014We went to Under the Moon on a recommendation of a friend. I saw the menu prices online and thought they were on the higher end of the range but decided to go for it anyway. I was very pleased with everything about this restaurant - the food quality and freshness, the atmosphere (kitschy), and the waitstaff (excellent). Everyone had a great time (12 year old up to 71). Just wish there was more parking nearby!Special Features:
- TapaswineanddineVIPDined on 7/28/2014Very good selection of food for a light dinner; the beef empanadas gets better on every visit. That and a Caesar salad and the patatas bravas actually made a great diner that wasn't all the light, after all. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 129 reviews are from the Under The Moon Cafe reviews archive.
- Fun experienceSawyer23Dined on 7/25/2014We knew before going to the restaurant we were going to order a variety of appetizers rather than dinner. The appetizers looked so appealing we wouldn't have been able to choose one or two so that helped make our decision. Good choice. The stuffed shrimp, goat cheese, acorn squash and corn brûlée were delicious! The per de resistance was the warmed fudge brownie with home made whipped cream! The only negative is the lack of air conditioning. We will go back but not on a hot night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Floridians Enjoy Local Farecoastergirl0928Dined on 7/25/2014We brought our out of town family to our favorite restaurant to enjoy dinner. It was the usual, wonderful food and service. Our family loved it and they raved about there entrees and the unique ambience of our local Bordentown city gem!Special Features:
- Just ok.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/20/2014Food didnt taste fresh, potatoes had weird processed flavor and texture, desserts looked like they were sitting for days.
- a great find in Bordentown!MelisaDined on 7/13/2014Such a welcoming BYOB... in terms of atmosphere and hospitality. Enticing and delicious menu. They even made special dishes for the kids! Absolutely loved our meal and plan to return again. Patronize this restaurant, it is a hidden gem!
- Over the Moon for Under the Moon!coastergirl0928Dined on 7/12/2014I went to the local farm market last week and Under the Moon had a table! So excited to see the owner there with a fresh marinara sauce in Mason jars, I had to purchase one! My husband tasted it and was, well over the moon! We made reservations for another great night! Not expecting to have sushi, I can tell you this little neighborhood gem has everything! The ahi tuna over seaweed salad was done to perfection as was the sirloin steak my husband enjoyed. No leftovers on our plates, and we couldn't eat another bite, not even the awesome desserts they offered. We will be back soon!Special Features:
- The staff didn't match the restthinkingtwice1Dined on 7/6/2014Food was deldelicious, place was beautiful, staff. ..not so friendly.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/2/2014This is a perfect lunch spot. Our party of 3 was in need of a leisurely "catching up" lunch and this turned out to be the perfect place. Our server was attentive but not intrusive and understood that we were in no hurry. The range of food was great for a group that all wanted something different (light lunch to dinner substitute). The meatloaf lunch entree was enough for two so there was a reprise of that meal at home the next day. It was delicious with unique touches including a hard boiled egg and bacon wrap. The other meals (large salads) were excellent as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs WorksherryDined on 6/22/2014While we had a pleasant brunch at UTM but their attention to detail is lacking. My poached eggs were barely warm and too well done, coffee was not refreshed regularly and the french toast bread pudding which four of us shared was as dense as a brick and much too large a piece for one serving. Atmosphere is really funky and there are some small tables on the sidewalk which are nice for two diners. We would return and hope it cleaned up the act a bit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ladies LunchTopsyDined on 6/18/2014With two old time friends, I enjoyed a wonderful lunch. The tapas menu is great!!Special Features:
- Under the MoonwineanddineVIPDined on 6/16/2014I've always found the food very good: a solid 4 stars! This BYO bistro is one of the best in Bordentown.Special Features:
- Don't judge a book by its covergourmetgaloreDined on 6/15/2014This was a nice surprise of a find. Stumbled on this place as we needed to find a place that wasn't too far from Hamilton, NJ. Ambience was very nice, décor was very vintage and allowed for many conversation starters, and food selection was very eclectic. Really had a good time here with my family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/8/2014Outstanding food, but disappointed in service. Very slow and missed the obvious at times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Little Gem in the Citycoastergirl0928Dined on 6/7/2014From the eclectic decor and tableware to the tasty Argentinian menu, this place is charming and a wonderful find in Bordentown city! I couldn't find a thing I didn't like. Friendly and prompt service, delicious food, perfectly cooked and ambience of dining in a sweet and unusual flair - this is one place you don't want to miss!Special Features: