Uncle Nick's Greek Cuisine - Chelsea
382 8th Avenue
New York, NY 10001Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $30 and under
Uncle Nick's Greek Cuisine - Chelsea
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://unclenicksgreekcuisine.us/
- Phone: (212) 609-0500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Greek
- Executive Chef: Anthony Manatakis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Uncle Nick's is available to cater any of your private or corporate events. Please call us for more details.
- Cross Street: Corner 29th Street
- Public Transit: Trains A & E @ Penn station # 1 @ 28th & 7th ave
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Metered parking available til 7:00pm on 8th ave. Free parking after 7:00pm. Parking lots available on 29th street between 7th & 8th ave and right next mto the restaurant on 8th ave.
A word from Uncle Nick's Greek Cuisine - Chelsea
Looking for a fresh catch on the West Side? Discover Uncle Nick’s! He was one of the first in the 80's to bring fresh, moderately priced Greek food to Manhattan in family sized portions and has been there ever since. We're not fancy, we don't dim the lights and our dishes are made to eat not admire. But when you’re in the mood for a friendly, festive meal with lots of laughter, good spirits and generous portions of hearty Greek cooking, Uncle Nick's is the place for you. We're especially proud of our selection of dock fresh seafood, but if meats are your love, you won't find finer, more succulent dishes than ours. When you're in the mood to relax, your table is waiting. To Uncle Nick everyone is family and everyone gets the same warm welcome. When you’re in New York but your heart is in Greece, come join us at Uncle Nick's. It's a trip you won't soon forget.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Uncle Nick's Greek Cuisine - Chelsea reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (23)good for groups (21)great for lunch (10)fit for foodies (10)kid-friendly (6)special occasion (2)romantic (1)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Fun place to gather with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014While it started out really good, the service declined. One guest was not served what she had asked for; we were a group of 8 and one person's meal didn't even come out and we had to ask for it. No one came to the table to see if anyone wanted more wine, coffee or dessert. We enjoyed the food a great deal though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what i had expectedmsmouseDined on 11/6/2014i chose this restaurant for it's proximity to MSG and the Zagat top 10 rating. It was very loud, understaffed and our food was over cooked. My Husbands calamari was tough and vegetables too mushy to pick up with a fork. Although my chicken kabob was ok, the menu said it came with salad, which it didn't and was not very interesting.Special Features:
- Ok food, terrible serviceAndrewSVIPDined on 11/5/2014Nicks is close to MSG, which was a selling point. We arrived and were promptly seated, however had to ask twice before a waiter would take our order. We ordered the 4 dip platter, cheese & olive platter, Greek salad and red snapper. The 4 dips were a bit bland, the cheese/olive platter came with 6 small olives (literally) and the cheese was tasteless. The red snapper was served as a whole fish...which was not mentioned on the menu or by the waiter. When I asked if the fish can be filleted, was told, that since it was so busy, it would take a 'long time'. Fish was tasty, but would have preferred filleted. When looking for the bill, had to ask multiple people. Will not be going back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/5/2014The wait staff was friendly and apologetic, but our 4 dishes arrived cool, meat, fish and butter soaked rice. ( didn't waiter notice plates cool to touch?) we saw 2 tables leaving for a nearby Rangers game without eating. Short staffed? NOMATTER. Reheated in micro wave with comp wine did not make it Ok. There are much tastier choices for the price.
- Good foodKathrynDined on 11/3/2014The food hit the spot here. It wasn't incredible, but it passed the test. They have Greek wine on the menu - avoid it. We tried the options and ended up going back to what we knew - California and Argentina.Special Features:
- Great Greek stapleOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/30/2014Love the food here. Combo dips appetizer is spot on. Salads are delicious and enormous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great MealTommyDined on 10/25/2014The atmosphere is casual, the wait staff is attentive and the food delicious and abundant. Highly recommended if you are looking for good Greek food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed.Msljf67Dined on 10/21/2014The reviews were pretty good for this place. Met a friend the other night for dinner, it took them 15 minutes to even bring us water. We tried to buy a bottle of wine but they were out, tried to buy another they were out of that one as well. My friend insisted on veggies as her side it came out with potatos. Overall it was not a great dining experience. The food was just okay, frankly I didn't taste any passion in it at all.
- Grandma4Dined on 10/18/2014Great place, but don't look for hummus. Didn't realize it's not Greek, it's meditteran but awesome food. Lamb chops were big and 6 were served, yummy. Our out of town friends loved it and the convenience to Penn Statuon is a perk, 2 blocks away.Special Features:
- Very AccomodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014We had a group reservation for 10 but by the time dinner rolled around we had 18 and they sat us all no problem. Food was great, service was quick. Overall recommended experience!Special Features:
- Great eveningFoodieDined on 10/6/2014A group of friends and I go to Nick's several times a year for dinner and we are never disappointed. Good food, fair prices, nice wine list, friendly (but a bit overworked) staff. Don't change a thing!Special Features:
- okalisVIPDined on 10/6/2014I believe i prefer the location uptown better. The food was fine. nothing more. one of our entrees was cold. then they never brought it back and we had to ask for it back. i had the grilled octopus and it was bland. it was in so much balsamic which i thought was strange. they are very skimpy with the pita which is strange as they serve a lot of dips- what are you meant to dip with if you dont order pita. so it doesnt come w pita and you have to pay for it. strange. the dips were tasty as were the beans. the sangria was ok. thought it was a bit pricey for what we had and the fact that it wasnt great. we went as we were going to an event at msg. not sure i would go back.
- disappointing for good restaurantguy11976VIPDined on 10/3/2014My friend had octopus which was not fresh. BAKLAVA WAS GOOD and Greek salad also. Sweetbreads were served in Saudi email that did not bring out taste. I guess we should have stuck to the specials. I would go there again. My father always said order broiled fish; they can not ruin that!.
- Solid Greek Close to MSGssbelltxVIPDined on 10/2/2014Great place to eat before an event at MSG. The portions were generous. I would come back!
- Good Food but Hard to HearHARTDined on 10/2/2014I have eaten at Uncle Nicks on 9th Ave. and knew the food would be good and was very happy with the food. If you get there early you have a chance to hear your dinner companions. By 6:15 the place was packed and the noise level was very high. If you go, go early and not when there is an event at the Garden.Special Features:
- Good Food!marthastewartDined on 9/20/2014Food was good - appetizer plate for two was great! Servuce was fine - nothing spectacular.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experiencematthewsstomachDined on 9/20/2014Very good food, generous portions, good service and a great price ... if you like Greek food you cannot go wrong ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic GreekSits26Dined on 9/19/2014A corner neighborhood resto close to MSG. The service was impeccable, the food authentic Greek and the atmosphere bistro-likeSpecial Features:
- JDS23Dined on 9/13/2014the food and service at Uncle Nick's were great. The portions are large and the food is freshly prepared. The Service was terrific. Great spot to have a nice meal before a show at The GardenSpecial Features:
- Pre-Garden eventMattAVIPDined on 9/10/2014Don't go here if there's a big event at MSG. After a nice introduction from our waiter, it became clear that the restaurant was woefully understaffed. My whole porgy was delicious, though I was told they would fillet it for me. They did not, saying they were too busy. My wife's swordfish was completely overcooked, though still tasty. There's no excuse to overcook swordfish - there's a wide range between medium rare to medium well that would work for everyone. It took forever to get the bill. The waiters and busboys were all very nice and apologetic, but they needed several more of them on this night.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014Good Greek food, reasonably priced for Manhattan ($28/person, including a bottle of wine, several shared desserts, tax & tip). We were a group of 10 people and had no problem reserving a table for 9pm on a Thursday night, as restaurant was not even half full at that time. We opted to eat "mezes" style (kind of like Greek tapas) by sharing a number of appetizers rather than having main courses. The service was very friendly and efficient. Definitely recommend the place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChefDan10009Dined on 8/30/2014Both locations of Uncle Nicks have the best, most authentic Greek food in ManhattanSpecial Features:
- Definitely go here!PhillytouristDined on 8/30/2014Yummy food and fast service, but never felt rushed! Loved the local Greek wine list and have never had a bad bottel of Greek wine. The waitstaff is knowledgeable and friendly as well as helpful with menu choices and tourist info!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing to scream about!LocakittyDined on 8/29/2014everything about this establishment is DULL! The area is dull, the food is dull, the wait staff is unfriendly and dull! I had the pork chops and they were red inside. The rice was just ok. No bread at the table. Long wait for the food to be served. My friend had lamb and it tasted "gamey" for lack of a better word. What a horror! the onions and green pepper that came with it were the best thing on his plate. The prices were high for this meal.Special Features:
- Penn Station PerfectLove2GotorestaurantsVIPDined on 8/29/2014Great place if you are in the Penn Station area! Food was delicious.. Service was really friendly. Just an easy place for a casual lunch or dinner. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Great first meal in New YorktennispaulDined on 8/23/2014We had a great meal here on our first night in New York. The food was lovely - we had a verty tasty and filling Mousaka which was authentic and we did not need anything else due to the generous portion size. The staff were very friendly and helpful and I would certainly recommend Uncle Nick's to anyone wanting great food at very reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Do the basics wellSouthwesternVacationerVIPDined on 8/7/2014Standard Greek food done well. No complaints as the dinner for 4 went smoothly from the start to the finish. Our reservation was hoonored even though we arrived a few minutes late due to midtown traffic. Service was fine; food was well prepared and served hot. Just nothing stood out as exceptional. If you're in need of a restaurant prior to an event at Madison Square Garden you should consider dining with Uncle Nick.
- authentic greek foodnat616Dined on 7/31/2014I've been to the other location and loved it so I decided to try this one. The food is authentic and delicious, and although the staff were all friendly, I wish they were more attentive to the tables and provided quicker service (especially since the restaurant was not packed around 8pm on Thursday night).Special Features:
- The following 170 reviews are from the Uncle Nick's Greek Cuisine - Chelsea reviews archive.
- Nice Lunch SpotmaryoDined on 7/25/2014Met a friend for lunch and was seated promptly. They have a large menu with a number of added specials. I had a lamb platter which was decent, except the lamb was a little over-done for my liking and not very tender. My friend had grilled octopus, which really was charred, with a vegetable platter which she enjoyed. Overall, food was decent, service was good, and it is a nice spot for a bite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nick'sjlh1234Dined on 7/19/2014Great for dinner before a show at the Garden. Staff were nice but a bit too slow for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014AWFUL! Poor service. Rude/unattentive servers. Mediocre food. WILL NEVER GO BACK
- Great food - restaurant was too hotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014They said the air conditioning was on - but it didn't feel like it at all. It was so hot - we finally had to leave our table early.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistantly good foodIbirdDined on 7/2/2014Unfortunately there must have been something wrong with their air-condtioning--was hot and muggy inside!!!Special Features:
- RobbieVIPDined on 7/2/2014My two friends and I went to Uncle Nick's before a concert at MSG. The ambiance is like a coffee shop and the sound so loud you can barely hear yourself think. It was so hot that night, we were sweating and there was barely a breath of air in the restaurant. We ordered a Greek salad for the table. The cucumbers were brown but we ate whatever we could as we could not find the waiter. Afterward, I had a swordfish kebob which was delicious. My two other friends had a shrimp kebob and the other halibut which were both good. The service was poor and the water glasses were never refilled. I would not return to this restaurant.
- Excellent food but hotjparteachDined on 7/2/2014We were seated immediately when we arrived which was wonderful. The staff was helpful and very friendly. The food was excellent. My only complaint was that it was an extremely hot day (and it was pouring outside) and the a/c did not seem to be working too well.Special Features:
- AmazingCityGirlatheartDined on 6/19/2014Found this restaurant through Open Table while visiting NYC for a long weekend & enjoying Happy Hour at Hotel Bar. We stayed in the Chelsea area, & was within a 5 minute walk. Upon arriving, we were greeted immediately and told to pick a table. It was 8:00 p.m. and not too many people were there. By 9:00, very busy. Cozy feeling, & the staff was attentive & friendly. Food was terrific. My husband & I ordered the fried zucchini & tomato/feta salad to share. Both were crisp & fresh. I had the Gyro platter which was HUGE, with crisp lettuce, tomatoes & cucumbers. The rice that came with it was very flavorful. My husband ordered the Red Snapper & talk about done to perfection! Moist, flaky, perfect! Bottle of Malbec rounded out our mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diamond in the RoughNeverDisappointsVIPDined on 6/16/2014Love Uncle Nick's. I work in the Midtown West area and take coworkers and friends there often. I have never had a complaint! Food and service are top notch =) Keep up the good work!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food, HORRIBLE Service!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/15/2014We came in for lunch, there were three waiters working and 5 other tables the whole time. Our waiter ignored us the entire time. We had to repeatedly call him over when we needed something. This place needs better management.
- Tasty Greek FoodAcoustickittyVIPDined on 6/5/2014I like Uncle Nick's because you get exactly what you came for: good food, nice people. It's my favorite place in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarcoVIPDined on 5/29/2014Consistently good food and service. Great before games at MSG!Special Features: