Uncle Nick's Greek Cuisine - Chelsea
382 8th Avenue
New York, NY 10001Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $30 and under
Uncle Nick's Greek Cuisine - Chelsea
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://unclenicksgreekcuisine.us/
- Phone: 2126090500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Greek
- Executive Chef: Anthony Manatakis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Uncle Nick's is available to cater any of your private or corporate events. Please call us for more details.
- Cross Street: Corner 29th Street
- Public Transit: Trains A & E @ Penn station # 1 @ 28th & 7th ave
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Metered parking available til 7:00pm on 8th ave. Free parking after 7:00pm. Parking lots available on 29th street between 7th & 8th ave and right next mto the restaurant on 8th ave.
A word from Uncle Nick's Greek Cuisine - Chelsea
Looking for a fresh catch on the West Side? Discover Uncle Nick’s! He was one of the first in the 80's to bring fresh, moderately priced Greek food to Manhattan in family sized portions and has been there ever since. We're not fancy, we don't dim the lights and our dishes are made to eat not admire. But when you’re in the mood for a friendly, festive meal with lots of laughter, good spirits and generous portions of hearty Greek cooking, Uncle Nick's is the place for you. We're especially proud of our selection of dock fresh seafood, but if meats are your love, you won't find finer, more succulent dishes than ours. When you're in the mood to relax, your table is waiting. To Uncle Nick everyone is family and everyone gets the same warm welcome. When you’re in New York but your heart is in Greece, come join us at Uncle Nick's. It's a trip you won't soon forget.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Uncle Nick's Greek Cuisine - Chelsea reviews from OpenTable diners
53 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (25)good for groups (18)fit for foodies (13)great for lunch (12)kid-friendly (5)special occasion (3)romantic (1)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Very AccomodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014We had a group reservation for 10 but by the time dinner rolled around we had 18 and they sat us all no problem. Food was great, service was quick. Overall recommended experience!Special Features:
- Great eveningFoodieDined on 10/6/2014A group of friends and I go to Nick's several times a year for dinner and we are never disappointed. Good food, fair prices, nice wine list, friendly (but a bit overworked) staff. Don't change a thing!Special Features:
- okalisVIPDined on 10/6/2014I believe i prefer the location uptown better. The food was fine. nothing more. one of our entrees was cold. then they never brought it back and we had to ask for it back. i had the grilled octopus and it was bland. it was in so much balsamic which i thought was strange. they are very skimpy with the pita which is strange as they serve a lot of dips- what are you meant to dip with if you dont order pita. so it doesnt come w pita and you have to pay for it. strange. the dips were tasty as were the beans. the sangria was ok. thought it was a bit pricey for what we had and the fact that it wasnt great. we went as we were going to an event at msg. not sure i would go back.
- disappointing for good restaurantguy11976VIPDined on 10/3/2014My friend had octopus which was not fresh. BAKLAVA WAS GOOD and Greek salad also. Sweetbreads were served in Saudi email that did not bring out taste. I guess we should have stuck to the specials. I would go there again. My father always said order broiled fish; they can not ruin that!.
- Solid Greek Close to MSGssbelltxVIPDined on 10/2/2014Great place to eat before an event at MSG. The portions were generous. I would come back!
- Good Food but Hard to HearHARTDined on 10/2/2014I have eaten at Uncle Nicks on 9th Ave. and knew the food would be good and was very happy with the food. If you get there early you have a chance to hear your dinner companions. By 6:15 the place was packed and the noise level was very high. If you go, go early and not when there is an event at the Garden.Special Features:
- Good Food!marthastewartDined on 9/20/2014Food was good - appetizer plate for two was great! Servuce was fine - nothing spectacular.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experiencematthewsstomachDined on 9/20/2014Very good food, generous portions, good service and a great price ... if you like Greek food you cannot go wrong ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic GreekSits26Dined on 9/19/2014A corner neighborhood resto close to MSG. The service was impeccable, the food authentic Greek and the atmosphere bistro-likeSpecial Features:
- JDS23Dined on 9/13/2014the food and service at Uncle Nick's were great. The portions are large and the food is freshly prepared. The Service was terrific. Great spot to have a nice meal before a show at The GardenSpecial Features:
- Pre-Garden eventMattAVIPDined on 9/10/2014Don't go here if there's a big event at MSG. After a nice introduction from our waiter, it became clear that the restaurant was woefully understaffed. My whole porgy was delicious, though I was told they would fillet it for me. They did not, saying they were too busy. My wife's swordfish was completely overcooked, though still tasty. There's no excuse to overcook swordfish - there's a wide range between medium rare to medium well that would work for everyone. It took forever to get the bill. The waiters and busboys were all very nice and apologetic, but they needed several more of them on this night.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014Good Greek food, reasonably priced for Manhattan ($28/person, including a bottle of wine, several shared desserts, tax & tip). We were a group of 10 people and had no problem reserving a table for 9pm on a Thursday night, as restaurant was not even half full at that time. We opted to eat "mezes" style (kind of like Greek tapas) by sharing a number of appetizers rather than having main courses. The service was very friendly and efficient. Definitely recommend the place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChefDan10009Dined on 8/30/2014Both locations of Uncle Nicks have the best, most authentic Greek food in ManhattanSpecial Features:
- Definitely go here!PhillytouristDined on 8/30/2014Yummy food and fast service, but never felt rushed! Loved the local Greek wine list and have never had a bad bottel of Greek wine. The waitstaff is knowledgeable and friendly as well as helpful with menu choices and tourist info!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing to scream about!LocakittyDined on 8/29/2014everything about this establishment is DULL! The area is dull, the food is dull, the wait staff is unfriendly and dull! I had the pork chops and they were red inside. The rice was just ok. No bread at the table. Long wait for the food to be served. My friend had lamb and it tasted "gamey" for lack of a better word. What a horror! the onions and green pepper that came with it were the best thing on his plate. The prices were high for this meal.Special Features:
- Penn Station PerfectLove2GotorestaurantsVIPDined on 8/29/2014Great place if you are in the Penn Station area! Food was delicious.. Service was really friendly. Just an easy place for a casual lunch or dinner. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Great first meal in New YorktennispaulDined on 8/23/2014We had a great meal here on our first night in New York. The food was lovely - we had a verty tasty and filling Mousaka which was authentic and we did not need anything else due to the generous portion size. The staff were very friendly and helpful and I would certainly recommend Uncle Nick's to anyone wanting great food at very reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Do the basics wellSouthwesternVacationerVIPDined on 8/7/2014Standard Greek food done well. No complaints as the dinner for 4 went smoothly from the start to the finish. Our reservation was hoonored even though we arrived a few minutes late due to midtown traffic. Service was fine; food was well prepared and served hot. Just nothing stood out as exceptional. If you're in need of a restaurant prior to an event at Madison Square Garden you should consider dining with Uncle Nick.
- authentic greek foodnat616Dined on 7/31/2014I've been to the other location and loved it so I decided to try this one. The food is authentic and delicious, and although the staff were all friendly, I wish they were more attentive to the tables and provided quicker service (especially since the restaurant was not packed around 8pm on Thursday night).Special Features:
- Nice Lunch SpotmaryoDined on 7/25/2014Met a friend for lunch and was seated promptly. They have a large menu with a number of added specials. I had a lamb platter which was decent, except the lamb was a little over-done for my liking and not very tender. My friend had grilled octopus, which really was charred, with a vegetable platter which she enjoyed. Overall, food was decent, service was good, and it is a nice spot for a bite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nick'sjlh1234Dined on 7/19/2014Great for dinner before a show at the Garden. Staff were nice but a bit too slow for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014AWFUL! Poor service. Rude/unattentive servers. Mediocre food. WILL NEVER GO BACK
- Great food - restaurant was too hotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014They said the air conditioning was on - but it didn't feel like it at all. It was so hot - we finally had to leave our table early.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistantly good foodIbirdDined on 7/2/2014Unfortunately there must have been something wrong with their air-condtioning--was hot and muggy inside!!!Special Features:
- RobbieVIPDined on 7/2/2014My two friends and I went to Uncle Nick's before a concert at MSG. The ambiance is like a coffee shop and the sound so loud you can barely hear yourself think. It was so hot that night, we were sweating and there was barely a breath of air in the restaurant. We ordered a Greek salad for the table. The cucumbers were brown but we ate whatever we could as we could not find the waiter. Afterward, I had a swordfish kebob which was delicious. My two other friends had a shrimp kebob and the other halibut which were both good. The service was poor and the water glasses were never refilled. I would not return to this restaurant.
- Excellent food but hotjparteachDined on 7/2/2014We were seated immediately when we arrived which was wonderful. The staff was helpful and very friendly. The food was excellent. My only complaint was that it was an extremely hot day (and it was pouring outside) and the a/c did not seem to be working too well.Special Features:
- The following 163 reviews are from the Uncle Nick's Greek Cuisine - Chelsea reviews archive.
- AmazingCityGirlatheartDined on 6/19/2014Found this restaurant through Open Table while visiting NYC for a long weekend & enjoying Happy Hour at Hotel Bar. We stayed in the Chelsea area, & was within a 5 minute walk. Upon arriving, we were greeted immediately and told to pick a table. It was 8:00 p.m. and not too many people were there. By 9:00, very busy. Cozy feeling, & the staff was attentive & friendly. Food was terrific. My husband & I ordered the fried zucchini & tomato/feta salad to share. Both were crisp & fresh. I had the Gyro platter which was HUGE, with crisp lettuce, tomatoes & cucumbers. The rice that came with it was very flavorful. My husband ordered the Red Snapper & talk about done to perfection! Moist, flaky, perfect! Bottle of Malbec rounded out our mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diamond in the RoughNeverDisappointsVIPDined on 6/16/2014Love Uncle Nick's. I work in the Midtown West area and take coworkers and friends there often. I have never had a complaint! Food and service are top notch =) Keep up the good work!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food, HORRIBLE Service!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/15/2014We came in for lunch, there were three waiters working and 5 other tables the whole time. Our waiter ignored us the entire time. We had to repeatedly call him over when we needed something. This place needs better management.
- Tasty Greek FoodAcoustickittyDined on 6/5/2014I like Uncle Nick's because you get exactly what you came for: good food, nice people. It's my favorite place in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarcoVIPDined on 5/29/2014Consistently good food and service. Great before games at MSG!Special Features:
- Greek appetiteLuv2dineDined on 5/22/2014This is a great local spot with good Greek food. The gyros are great and the service was medicro. I enjoyed going there with my family and would recommend others if they want some great Greek food for a good price. It isn't expensive at all but you get your monies worth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only if you're going to MSGaadoc76VIPDined on 5/9/2014I've been to Nick's quite a few times. The only reason I gave it three stars for food is previously my meals have been good. This past time the food was eh at best. I made a 6:45 pm reservation for an 8:00 show giving myself an extra 15 minutes of leeway if necessary. Not enough time. Waited for a table and it took way too long for the food to come out. Got to the show at 8:30. And it was soooo hot and humid in the restaurant that all the waiters were sweating. All that being said, I'd go back because of the convenience to Madison Square Garden.
- Uncle Nick's--always a winnerIbirdDined on 5/9/2014Uncle Nick's always makes me feel like I am visiting Greece again--but charging for bread--really???Special Features:
- Food pretty goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014We love Greek food, and this was ok. Lamb chops came out over cooked and cold, which was disappointing.Special Features:
- Neighborhood FindSophiaDined on 5/3/2014Delicious and moderately priced dining. Quality food with good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific MealLisaKNYCDined on 5/2/2014Uncle Nick's is reliably good Greek food. I'd recommend giving it a try. The swordfish kabobs are one of their specialty dishes, and a great choice. We also loved the famous flaming cheese.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Greek restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/25/2014We went for a dinner with kids to this place. Everything we ordered was delicious and flavorful. Baklava for dessert is a must.:-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a favorite gatheringFoodieDined on 4/8/2014This is a favorite gathering place for me with a group of friends. Proximity to Penn Station is what attracted us originally, but now we come back for the good food, friendly atmosphere, fair pricing, and casual surroundings. On a week night we were able to share appetizers, entrees, and some wine, and have time to chat and laugh. No one pushed us out the door. It was almost like dining at home - but better food and no dishes to wash. We will be back again and again.Special Features:
- great lunch, will def. be back soonrossamaVIPDined on 3/31/2014brought my team for lunch, food was very good! Great service. Food came out quick, will def. be back!Special Features: