Uncle Lui's Restaurant
8318 W. Oakland Park Blvd
Sunrise, FL 33351Neighborhood:
EuropeanPrice: $30 and under
Uncle Lui's Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://uncleluisrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 9547491908
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: Early Bird: 4:00pm; Regular Seating: 5:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, German
- Executive Chef: Jozsef Bodnar
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout
A word from Uncle Lui's Restaurant
Uncle Lui’s offers family-style dining that crisscrosses Europe. German and Hungarian dishes like goulash and schnitzel are on the menu, as are items like roast duck, chowders and homemade apple strudel. The friendly service adds to the appeal, as do the wallet-friendly prices.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Uncle Lui's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
10 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (9)good for groups (3)kid-friendly (2)special occasion (2)romantic (1)great for lunch (1)fit for foodies (1)Show More
- CharmingUniqueDined on 9/24/2014I enjoyed this unique neighborhood restaurant. I am from Hungarian descent and enjoyed seeing familiar items on the menu. Portions were large and each meal was large enough to take leftovers home for another meal. I definitely will keep this on my list to return. Prices were average.Special Features:
- Uncle Lui'sbonniekDined on 8/22/2014We enjoyed our Veal Breast, Lamb Shank & Weiner Schnitzel with all the side dishes. Zoltan is a gracious host and we were very happy to take home more than we could eat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always exceptionalocean3550VIPDined on 8/16/2014Once again we were not disappointed with the food at Uncle Lui's. It is consistently good fare and the prices are reasonable too.Special Features:
- Local jointFoodieDined on 8/8/2014It is always good food and nice, friendly service. The portions are huge and there is always leftovers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than expectedjudygarland69Dined on 8/7/2014We chose Uncle Lui's because it was fairly close and we were look ok my for something we had not had before. It is very unassuming from outside but charming inside. Service was great and food was fantastic. Very large portions so bring your appetite. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Homestyle HungarianTiffanyDined on 8/1/2014My half Hungarian family enjoyed the food. It is the last Hungarian restaurant in South Florida. Portions are huge - we had enough for a second meal at home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Massive portions great foodDinerVIPDined on 8/1/2014I had not eaten here for a few years. I remembered the great Hungarian food, and that meals included soup, salad, sides and dessert. I forgot that the portions were huge. The prices are low for the amount of high quality food received. This is a great place to attend with any size group. I wish it was closer to home. We were glad it is every bit as good as our last vist. The staff make excellent recommendations to any one interested.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed it!ScottDined on 6/15/2014Not the best, but a local spot with tasty food, the service was better than some reviews I read led me to believe and the portions were huge and affordable. I'll return when I have a hankering for some good schnitzel or goulash.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 50 reviews are from the Uncle Lui's Restaurant reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/2014Excellent family style restaurant, huge portions,well prepared.Special Features:
- The best Hungarian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/28/2014This place has the best Hungarian food that I have ever had the portions are HUUUUUGE! It's not the place for great ambiance but who cares when you get the food they serve! If your into authentic Hungarian food this is the place A complete dinner with desert and coffee for under $20 And I mean complete dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The waiters were excellent.deedeeDined on 3/22/2014The waiters were excellent. The ambiance was lovely. but the sauce on the Hunter Schnitzell was tasteless. The creamed spinach was all ' soupy' not enough Spinach. The soup was excellent. Deserts were fresh. and tasty. Next time, I will have to taste a different main dish with more flavor. It is worth giving it a second chance.Special Features:
- Well worth the moneyBluestarDined on 3/13/2014This was our second time at this restaurant. It is one of the few places that still comes with a complete meal which includes dessert and coffee. The food is more than enough and the service is quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We always enjoy eating here.PinkyVIPDined on 3/7/2014We always enjoy eating here. The food is very good and they give you too much, but we do enjoy the doggy bags. The wait service is very good also. We definitly will return in the near future...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love itWorthyDined on 2/15/2014If you want good food, good service and good value head over to this restaurant. It never disappoints us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hungarian/German food at its finestOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2014Reservations only so call ahead. I used opentable to make my reservation and the restaurant had no record said they don't get the information from opentable. We were almost turned away but I'm glad they let us stay. The food was excellent and the portions were unbelievable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old World Charm, very niceambemDined on 2/14/2014Old World Charm, very nice service. European menu with a nice variety. Would visit againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like Grandmom's HouseadeturkDined on 1/26/2014I grew up with a Polish Grandmom and so the smell of Uncle Lui's reminds of her house - the cabbage and smell of soup waft through the air. The portion sizes are immense and to me the food taste so homemade. The cabbage rolls that I had were better than any that my grandmom or I have ever made. If you like eastern european cuisine then this is the spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best deal for your moneyunhappyDined on 1/26/2014My wife and I were traveling and looking for good restaurants on our vacation. We found this gem. On the outside it did not look like much, but the food was incredible, portion size meant everyone left with a to go box and price was absolutely reasonable. If we are ever in the area again, we will certainly be visiting.Special Features:
- Food is always good and plentyliketoeat26VIPDined on 1/2/2014Food is always good and plenty of it! Leftovers always!!!Special Features:
- Fabulous Food!LubesVIPDined on 12/13/2013This is our second visit to Uncle Lui's. It was a 45 minute drive for us, but so worth it - my husband and I love the food - reminds us of the wiener schnitzel we enjoyed in Salzburg. I had Veal Cordon Blue and my husband had the Wiener Schnitzel both were excellent and HUGE servings - enough we took leftovers home and had a second delicious dinner. They start by giving you complimentary potato pancakes and dessert is included in your meal price. Ambience not fancy - very diner like. The food is so worth it!!!!! Will be returning again before we head back north.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I've had worseLawguyDined on 12/7/2013The dark, strip-mall parking lot was a little scary at night, but that only added to the charm once you enter the restaurant. The decorations were kitschy (in a good way), and the atmosphere was very relaxed. The average age of the clientele was somewhere between 60-70 years old, which is to be expected from that neighborhood. The entrees were large and full of flavor. Unfortunately, the service was poor. The owner took our order promptly, but then we rarely had a server stop by to refill our drinks for the rest of the evening. The soups and salads came out quickly, but then it took forever for our entrees to be served. If it wasn't for that (over) 1 hour gap in the middle where we never saw a server, it would have been near perfect.Special Features:
- Always excellentWorthyDined on 11/1/2013If you want high-quality, delicious food, this is the place. The prices are moderate, but the portions are very large. This restaurant is a gem.Special Features:
- always goodocean3550VIPDined on 8/29/2013Good food at great prices! We are regulars at Uncle Lui's and are never disappointed. Location is a little weird in a strange shopping mall but the restaurant is wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindRonTDined on 8/25/2013Although a little difficult to locate, well worth the effort! Great authentic German and Hungarian dishes. Excellent goulash and Wiener Schnitzel. Huge portions and delicious desserts. Service was prompt, friendly and attentive. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food and service excellent....excepdortebyDined on 8/22/2013food and service excellent....except for liver and onions. had to send back. too tough to even cut. disappointed. will try the chicken livers next time.Special Features:
- just like mother madepistaDined on 8/17/2013We decided to try the restaurant as we heard that it was very good food and to our surprise when they came with the food we could not believe the amount the gave us. It was very tasty and very well done to order, the host and the two servers were very nice . We all took some food home and we will come back in Nov. for another feast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food at great pricesocean3550VIPDined on 8/10/2013We always enjoy eating at Uncle Lui's and again we were not disappointed - best chicken paprikash ever and the calves liver is excellent too! Too much food - portions are huge and dinner includes potato pancakes, salad or soup and dessert. The apple strudel is divine - made using phyllo dough. Our party of five enjoyed our meal immensely and we all had to go boxes when we left.Special Features:
- DELICIOUS!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/26/2013This was our second time dining at Uncle Lui's and it was even better than the first! The servings are huge.......so we brought home doggie bags. The Veal Goulash is to die for! Love their salad that comes with the meal too! I had the homemade apple strudel this time and it was worth every calorie! We'll be going back again soon for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lots of food. The wiener schnitzelliketoeat26VIPDined on 7/19/2013Lots of food. The wiener schnitzel is huge and very hard to finish by yourself. The potato pancakes are great. Apple strudel is good and again a big piece.Special Features:
- Loved Uncle LuisGoodCook13Dined on 7/13/2013Food was delicious. Service very good. Priced right. Although it was a very rainy night it was filed to capacity. Many people must agree with me. FHSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hungarian Fare for HungriesprofjoeVIPDined on 7/12/2013Decent inexpensive food; more than ample portions. Tasty basic Eastern European--veal-goulash and schnitzel, spaetzle, chicken paprikash, potato pancakes, creamed spinach, red cabbage plus specials (trout, rabbit, duck, stuffed peppers). Food like grandma used to make. Come ready to eat. Take lots home. Wine list non existant. Serves a local neighborhood who are used to low price lots of food menus.Special Features:
- bang for your buckocean3550VIPDined on 6/29/2013Uncle Lui's is a family owned restaurant in a weird strip mall but the food is scrumptious - you get a lot for very little money. Entrees include salad and dessert.....the apple strudel is to die for. Chicken paprikash is outstanding and the calves liver is excellent also. We always enjoy Uncle Lui's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/5/2013The food was GREAT.....HUGE portions.......so make sure you are really hungry when you go there! Loved the potato pancakes they serve as soon as you are seated.........Authentic Hungarian & German food. Its a small restaurant located in a strip mall. The decor is not fancy but it's typical of a small neighborhood restaurant that you might find in Europe. Meal includes everything from salad, Entree, side dishes & Dessert!!! Excellent value for the quality! My husband had the Veal Goulash..........HIGHLY recommend that dish!!! But looking forward to trying some of the other dishes too!Special Features:
- Huge Portions!ladydonDined on 5/31/2013Mom & Pop place with huge portions of comfort food.Special Features:
- Home cooked by a family with loveocean3550VIPDined on 5/25/2013Uncle Lui's is a fabulous food find in an unlikely strip mall. Its family owned and dining there is like being with a family in their home. The father, the mother and the son all work there - acting as host, servers, busboy, etc. Price is very moderate and includes soup or salad, beverage and dessert. The apple strudel is divine; the chicken paprikash is a hearty, tasty meal. The calf liver with apple, bacon and onions was cooked perfectly. Everyone leaves with doggie bags as they serve such big portions of everything. Extremely good value.Special Features:
- definitely will come backdortebyDined on 5/25/2013definitely will come back again. food excellent. had to wait for water glasses to be refilled.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mixed reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/24/2013Food was good, maybe I'm a little picky. The disappointments: rolls served were like a rock - I thought they were stale. The potato latke was just terrible. I haven't eaten many in my lifetime, but wouldn't even eat these. They are normally golden in color, these appeared greasy, very dark in appearance - tasted just awful. Homemade red cabbage and creamed spinach were very good. The main courses were much better. The Wiener Schnitzel was very good - huge portion. Flounder Francese was a little mushy - like it had been frozen prior. It was served in a lemon wine sauce that was very very salty. Complimentary cheese cake dessert was very good. Overall experience was just good - you should give it a try and judge for yourself.Special Features:
- Great food Love this place YouKapzac51Dined on 4/20/2013Great food Love this place You will not leave hungry Everything is greatSpecial Features:
- We all enjoyed eating here,PinkyVIPDined on 3/6/2013We all enjoyed eating here, the food is always good and the service is great. Definitely will return in the near future.Special Features:
- Small Hungarian family restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/16/2013Small Hungarian family restaurant in strip mall location. However, the food was very good, the prices very reasonable and the service was very good as well. Not a lot of atmosphere, but food and service make up for this. This was our first time there at a friends recommendation. Would definitely go againSpecial Features: