Ummo Argentinean Grill
1351 Ashford Ave
San Juan, PR 00907Neighborhood:
ArgentineanPrice: $31 to $50
Ummo Argentinean Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ummoargentiniangrill.com/
- Phone: 787-722-1700
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily: 12:00pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Argentinean
- Executive Chef: Martin Louzao
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: UMMO catering services offers selections for breakfast, lunch tasting menus, private dinners, upscale barbecues, buffets and cocktail parties to suit your wishes. Chef Martin Louzao's cuisine will allow you to travel and taste the exquisite dishes from Argentina.
- Private Party Contact: PABLO CRUCCI 787-918-1032
A word from Ummo Argentinean Grill
The local scene here is as hot as the wood-fired grill in the kitchen. Carnivores go for the parrillada, a savory selection of chorizo, pork tenderloin, short ribs, sweetbreads, and blood sausage (the faint of heart can opt for the fresh grilled vegetables).Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ummo Argentinean Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (5)neighborhood gem (4)good for groups (3)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (2)romantic (2)notable wine list (2)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Enjoyed every biteChancemeetingDined on 9/5/2014Food was prepared exactly the way we ordered it. The service was as good as the food.Special Features:
- Great find....Pr613Dined on 8/24/2014Went here while on vacation....SO GLAD we did! had the churrasco and creamed spinach...delicious... the waiter gave us a great suggestion for a malbec too...Special Features:
- In the middle of the actionRobsantDined on 7/25/2014Ummo is right in the middle of the action in the Condado section of San Juan. There is a lot of people walking up and down Ashford Avenue going to bars and restaurants and hotels. It is usually full, so reservations are recommended. As far as food is concerned, it is right on top of most Argentinian restaurants in the island. It is the location that sets this restaurant of Argentinian cuisine apart from the rest of similar Argentinian restaurants. It also has a decent wine list, although nothing too fancy.Special Features:
- NIce ExperienceOceanEnidDined on 5/31/2014We visited to celebrate graduation... although they do not have a kids menu all meals were accomodated to fix our needs. Everything was delicious, great service and treat. My family and my kids were delighted....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 107 reviews are from the Ummo Argentinean Grill reviews archive.
- Delicious!'Melissa68Dined on 4/17/2014If you want a great steak, this is the place!! The atmosphere is romantic, however we took our older children12 and 16. Don't recommend for toddlers/infants. It's pricey, but worth every penny . The steaks are very large, so you can split meals and the side dishes are ala carte. Very large wine list. Every time we vacation in Puerto Rico we go to Ummo. It's on a very lively street in San Juan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay but not moreDCDinerVIPDined on 3/23/2014I generally enjoyed Ummo but I may be grading on a curve. I love grilled meats and love Argentinean parrillas. Throw in a chance to get a parrillada mixta with those parts my wife hates and parts she likes and I'm there. The meats at Ummo were grilled well to the right temperature but there was no noticeable seasoning and very little flavor to the meat. The sides were not bad - tostones and spinach. Between those and all of the grilled meats, there was more than enough for two. If you're getting the gourmet parrillada for two, don't even consider a starter. The wine list was a disappointment - they were out of most of the Malbecs listed. Convenient to the Marriott, overall an okay experience but that's about it.
- Without the kidsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/23/2014Love this restaurant - meats are prepared expertly on wood-stoked fire grill...fantastic. Sides are all good - generally can be shared. Offers exotic meats - like wild boar - which was tender, flavorful and delicious. Waiter was fantastic - she was very willing to help us find items that met our tastes...Unfortunately, they were out of shrimp for my fav appetizer...and they were out of a specific wine we were looking for. Despite that, they brought other choices and were very willing to make our experience fantastic. Will def be back and will recommend to all my friends/ business associates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeElgringoVIPDined on 2/9/2014Went twice. First time sat outside and service was a little hit and miss. But the food was great. Went back a second time for Valentine's and sat inside because it was too hot outside. Our waiter, Angel, was awesome. Another great meal. We love Argentinian Steakhouses and this is why. Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice steakhouse in Condado.KenWDined on 2/9/2014Nice steakhouse in Condado. Indoor and outdoor seating. Everything we had at our table was very good.
- Hope to ReturnPassingThroughDined on 1/9/2014On vacation in Puerto Rico, found this Interesting spot, with unique menu choices. Wanted and found good meat. Casual dress, open air grill, outdoor seating and good food. Best service experienced all week in Puerto Rico.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingpmbtVIPDined on 1/8/2014We expected a steakhouse with flair and ambiance, but were seated at the back of the near empty room, with uninviting music blaring in the speaker adjacent to us. The décor of the restaurant was nicely done leather with cowhides on the walls and extravagant wine cellar-like displays of at least a thousand bottles. Shortly after we arrived a staff member walked through with a large bag of garbage. Service was fair, but although the menu sounded enticing, the food was not. Two of the items which I wanted to try were not available. I tried a third option - a homemade chicken ravioli - and I could not eat it. My husband had the same experience, although my son enjoyed the chiorzo he ordered. We did not stay for dessert.
- Vert expensiveRobertDined on 1/5/2014This restaurant was à good place to go some years ago. Now it is ordinary. The prices do not correspond with the quality of whatever it offres.Special Features:
- Great food and great serviceChrisBostonVIPDined on 12/31/2013Great food and great service at the bar. Our bartender Raul was very helpful and very nice.Special Features:
- Very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013Really nice food especially the steaks! We wee there on nye so we had some live music, very nice staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The appetizers were very good.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/29/2013The appetizers were very good. The steaks were average but acceptable. Service was very attentive and welcoming. The restaurant itself had a nice ambiance but was chilled so cold the woman next to us had to ask for a blanket.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was fine but not greatFrankDined on 12/25/2013The place was fine but would not go back as there are to many other choices in town.
- Good ambience and foodJMartDined on 12/21/2013The place is from quiet to moderate ambience if you choose to sit inside. The food portion is good, specially if you go for the "parrillada". This also applies on the price. Good wine list. Good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food and serviceAndyBVIPDined on 11/16/2013When we arrived at Ummo (at 7 p.m.) the place was empty so we were a little concerned (an empty restaurant is normally not a good sign). However, we stuck it out and were glad we did. The food and service were very good - and the Volcon Beriloche desert was an outstanding finish to the meal! I would certainly return and highly recommend Ummo. ps. it was pretty full by the time we left.Special Features:
- A solid choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/11/2013Always a good meal but needs a pick up on the wine listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected morePripaDined on 9/26/2013I've heard good things about the place and maybe I just had bad luck with the food. We ordered the dumplings with chorizo and arugula chimichurri. Sounded delicious but I was immediately turned off when i bit into it and their were bone pieces. I hope it was bone. The arugula chimichurri didn't have much flavor. I was excited for my second course and it was just alright. I got the lamb chops. The potatoes were very undercook. They do have a good wine selection. I like it that is not overwhelming and the butter they make for the bread is really good. The place has potential.Special Features:
- this is a keeper. I love thatOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/9/2013this is a keeper. I love that their mark up on wines is very modest. Its not a huge wine list but a decent one. The food is also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mouth watering FiletOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2013We had the 10 oz Filet's and they were cooked perfect! We asked that they be cooked med and the were exactly as we asked....the smoked flavor brought out the juices and the you could cut the steak with a butter knife!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recommend!NancyCDined on 8/10/2013The fillet was excellent. The outdoor seating was nice but it was right along the sidewalk. we were going to return but Ummo was closed on Mondays!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived up to expectationsHayleyDined on 8/2/2013Before coming to Puerto Rico I heard about this amazing Argentinian grill and I can say it totally lived up to all expectations! The food was just delish and the servings were a big size. The wine menu was good and there was a good range of prices. The only thing I can say is don't eat all the bread! We were served bread all throughout the meal, which was very nice bread, but you will need the space for all the tasty grill!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good food and serviceRSDunwoodyVIPDined on 6/11/2013Good food and service. Wide variety on the menu from steaks to pasta. Everything prepared fresh. Good service.Special Features:
- First dateBorntoeatDined on 5/24/2013I went due to the pr restaurant week and the had a great selection of what the restaurant represents and they proudly carry the steakhouse name.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stick with the steak!ShellDined on 5/22/2013We had dinner at Ummo during restaurant week. We ordered the fish and lamb from the restaurant week menu. The fish was chewy and I only ate a few bites. Our server immediately noticed that I was not touching my meal and offered to replace it with the steak from the same menu. It was outstanding! The taste of the steak and excellent service made me forget our other disappointing entrees. I would definitely go again for the steak.
- Great Food and Wine ~ BAD serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/28/2013We go there everytime we visit PR. Always great experience with amazing food, wine list and service.. Except this time, maybe it was because it was Sunday night but the service was TERRIBLE. I ended up pouring our own water as the waiter was more interested on what was going on in thee street. Too bad because the center of every dinning experience is the SERVICE and we got none.
- Meat lover's ParadiseOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/27/2013Our steaks were served really rare although we had requested medium rare. This wasn't a downer for me since I'm more concerned if meat is overcooked. The beef we ordered was of good quality and tasty. Sauces and side dishes were flavorsome. This is an honest-to-goodness Argentinean steakhouse reminiscent of many I've experienced all over that country. Meats are cooked over an open fire. There are many choices from lamb to blood sausage. If you like grilled meat, Ummo is well worth a try.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood restaurant!YooperDined on 4/5/2013Nice neighborhood restaurant. We were staying at the Marrriott, and it was a short walk to Ummo's. The short ribs were fabulous, my mouth is watering just thinking of them. The empanadas were a good appetizer to start out, and the dolce de leche crepes were delicious! We definitely would return the next time we are in San Juan.Special Features:
- Much to be desiredGreatfindDined on 4/4/2013The restaurant was close to our hotel. Appearance wise, the restaurant looked great; however, the service and food left much to be desired in comparison to other near by restaurants. Our waiter came and took our order and then we didn't see him again until we asked for the check. In comparison to our other dining experiences in Puerto Rico this left much to be desired.
- Recommended by local bartenderOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/3/2013Recommended by local bartender at resort. My wife and I and children 15,11 went, they called to confirm which was nice. Bread and butter with bacon in it was good. Waiter recommended the cowboy for my son and I to split. It was 32oz, came out on and individual charcoal grill(parrillada)and kept cooking while we ateand the ladies split the filet mignon. Baked potatoes all the way around and chocolate cheese cake for desert. Overall great experience. Rates with El Gaucho in Aruba.Special Features:
- Very flavorful Churrasco Steak.DRSabsVIPDined on 3/25/2013Very flavorful Churrasco Steak. Pricing and overall quality make this a real bargain! three course meal, two cocktails, under $100.00 including a 20% tip! Absolutley a great place to slow down and enjoy some well prepared local cuisine!Special Features:
- This was our second visitOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/14/2013This was our second visit to this restaurant in two years. The second visit was as good as the first. This is a very popular spot and the atmosphere is lively. We did not initially have a reservation each of the times we dined at Ummo, but while waiting in an hour-wait line, logged into Open Table and was able to secure a reservation within 15 minutes!Special Features:
- Awesome and plentiful food;NvizbleVIPDined on 3/11/2013Awesome and plentiful food; slow and respectful service.Special Features:
- Steak good but tough. OtherRSDunwoodyVIPDined on 3/6/2013Steak good but tough. Other good was good. The empanada appetizer was very good
- Excellent Service and Quality foodJaybeeDined on 3/2/2013Excellent service (ask for Clarissa), great selection of Local Beers and Single Malt Scotch. The apetizers, EMPANADILLAS are the best, you won't regret it. Oh my God and the desserts, the kids almost ate the plates. It is a little expensive but the amount of food you get deserves the price. And if you go on Saturday nite, the MUSICIANS are out of this world. We loved it and will be back with or without kids, it was great!Special Features:
- After eating nouveau cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/1/2013After eating nouveau cuisine all week, it was great to just have a good steak and salad. The rib eye was delicious and hit the spot after all the fancy looking food we'd had.Special Features:
- Beef was excellent, not af00d1eVIPDined on 2/19/2013Beef was excellent, not a fan of the blood sausage but the rest was tasty.Special Features:
- Food was good but the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/8/2013Food was good but the service was lacking. Had to wait a long time to be greeted by waiter and he was very unfriendly when he got there.