339 Millburn Ave
Millburn, NJ 07041Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://millburnumi.com/
- Phone: 9739212848
- Hours of Operation:
Monday -Thursday 11:30 am - 10 pm
Friday - Saturday 11:30 am - 11 pm
Sunday 12:30 pm - 9:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Counter Seating, Delivery, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from UMI Sushi
We are a modern yet cozy Sushi and Japanese Restaurant in the heart of Millburn NJ. You will experience and enjoy more variety and high quality Sushi. Please come check us out and let our chef show you how Sushi is done right. We are a BYOB!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
UMI Sushi reviews from OpenTable diners
11 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (6)neighborhood gem (4)kid-friendly (2)good for groups (2)great for outdoor dining (2)great for lunch (2)hot spot (2)Show More
- This time, 2 starandreasVIPDined on 8/28/2014I used to rate this restaurant 4 to 5 star, but this time I have to give 2 stars. The spider roll was a bit strange in taste, but that is how sometimes the crabs are. The real problem was the two salmon avocado rolls. They had an unusual taste, after two pieces I dissected the rest of the roll, to find out that the skin of the salmon was not peeled off completely. The white layer was there, and giving that fishy taste I do not like. I am not a sushi chef to say if the salmon can be cut not peeling the white layer, if it is normal or not - what I am saying is that it was the first time in years that this happened to me, and I did not like it. The sea urchin sushi was perfect nevertheless, and the combination dinner plate was very good
- Expensive DisappointmenteviedruDined on 8/8/2014First Open Table restaurant I would not visit again. Not offered a glass with my soda. Miso Soup average. I ordered Tamago with the soup (rice and tamago good gauge of all) but it was served with the rest of the meal. If I'd tasted the tamago first, I'd have left; worst I've ever had. The Kanpachi was essentially indistinguishable from two other items I can't even recall. As a single diner, I understand that it's customary to serve 2 pieces of sushi per order. Nevertheless, I asked if I could have just one and was denied (don't quite understand this?) The Chu toro and O toro were 1 piece per order @ $9 and $11 and just so-so. Also very disappointed with the Uni and quail egg. VERY expensive. NO atmosphere. TENDER but TASTELESS.
- Great placeclodja1Dined on 8/1/2014Great food, nice folks! Would eat here again. Very fresh sushi!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem in a little townLilleDined on 8/1/2014If you are in downtown Milburn,NJ there are a few suitable places to grab lunch or an early dinner. Umi is where we went for Sushi. This does not measure up to my favorite sushi restaurants, but if I were downtown Milburn then, yes, I would go back if I were wanting sushi. It is typical fare and it is well-prepared and reasonable prices. Only indoor dining in a rather dingy setting. I mean function I stead of penache. I would give a this restaurant a slightly higher- than-average rating. There were no other diners there when we were there. Our server was polite and attentive. The salad was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently great -njeater987VIPDined on 6/14/2014Consistency is key and we have never been disappointed! The managers, the sushi chefs -- all are great. Friendly service & talented preparation. Food is fresh & flavors are interesting - can't ask for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 10 reviews are from the UMI Sushi reviews archive.
- A nice all around experienceSarah205VIPDined on 2/21/2014With that said, I was hoping to find a gem in the rough. The experience was good, but not great. We choose the spot as we had theater tickets that evening, and we wanted walking distance byob. It wasn't that the place was bad it just wasn't great. If I was going to go for sushi there are other gems we have found, not in Milburn, but in the area. Convenient to the Playhouse theater, and they served us in a very timely manner to get to the play. It just wasn't memorable meal.Special Features:
- Consistently great.njeater987VIPDined on 1/11/2014Creative. Tasty. SUPER fresh. Great sushi chefs. Never fail go-to for sushi in town.Special Features:
- Welcoming-Waming-easy goingMichael0219Dined on 12/25/2013Everything from food to service made eating at Umi a pleasure. Food was perfectly prepared & brought out by knowledgable & friendly staff.Special Features:
- Extra $3 for Brown RiceMillburnResidentDined on 10/13/2013My family likes this place. It has a good maki special -- three rolls, soup and salad for $15. However, they charge $1 extra if you have the roll with brown rice. Even though the total cost ($18) is reasonable, I find the extra $3 cost for brown rice to be offense.
- Best sushi aroundeatwellDined on 9/14/2013Inventive menu and very fresh fish..try whole live uni, aji sashimi, 'tasty treats'. Pricey for suburbs but worthwhile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Sushi in NJOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/23/2013I have been to UMI several times and have always been extremely happy with the quality and service. Having UMI in Millburn saves a lot of trips to NYC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The creativity is excellent,justokaug2014Dined on 4/15/2013The creativity is excellent, the product is fresh & well made, the service is pleasant & helpful. Definitely my favorite local sushi place.
- Umi Sushi - great staff and food!ArmymannyDined on 2/14/2013Took my partner to Umi for Valentine's Day dinner. Have to say that the food was awesome and the service was great! We felt very welcomed and everyone on staff was very friendly! We will definitely become regulars!Special Features:
- great food/place/peoplemascherVIPDined on 1/26/2013three of us went to umi for the first time-- We were all impressed with the food --the sashimi was outstanding as were the rolls--Most impressive was the royal treatment we received as first-timers--The restaurant called us en route and asked about our seating preference--We declined the sushi bar and were seated a a makeshift table to until a more comfortable table became available-- This is a great place!Special Features:
- Not your typical sushi jointOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/4/2013Awesome, modern delicate Sushi. Fresh and delicious ! We had an 8p Saturday reservation, but had to wait about 30 minutes. Place is small and wqas packed with BYOB locals. Host was apologetic and bought us one of the chief's specials a thinly slice sashimi dish. The place thinned out shortly, so go late and bring a good bottle of sake or Japanese beer to compliment this fine food.Special Features: