Umi Sake House
2230 First Avenue
Seattle, WA 98121Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Umi Sake House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://umisakehouse.com/
- Phone: 2063748717
- Hours of Operation:
Full menu served from 4pm-1am daily. Drinks 'til 2am.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Billy Beach
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Available with sufficient notice, and designed to suit function.
- Private Party Facilities: Available for wedding receptions, private parties, anniversaries, etc.
- Private Party Contact: Hostess/ Manager 2063748717
- Entertainment: Jazz, motown, or lounge music played 'til 10pm. Upbeat lounge, R&B, old school & 80's music played 10pm- close.
A word from Umi Sake House
Umi Sake House is a unique Japanese cuisine restaurant in the Belltown area of Seattle featuring the highest quality seafood available in the Northwest, a large izakaya-style tapas menu, and boasting a sake list of over 60 imported Japanese bottles. The interior is multi-faceted, with a black slate tiled traditional dining room, a gorgeous 14 person capacity wooden sushi bar, a semi private "tatami" room which holds 12 people, a larger 25 person private dining room, an enclosed "back patio" casual dining room complete with tropical garden, a black concrete liquor bar with custom sake cocktails and fusion traditional cocktails, and a "front porch" casual dining area with a daily extended happy hour from 4-8pm. The variety of atmospheres allows for a different experience with every visit, and the vastness and quality of the menu does the same. For the budding sake enthusiast or the seasoned veteran, the sake menu at Umi is bottle for bottle the best found anywhere outside of Japan!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Umi Sake House - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Umi Sake House reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (28)good for groups (24)hot spot (24)neighborhood gem (21)special occasion (17)vibrant bar scene (14)romantic (12)late-night find (12)notable wine list (5)kid-friendly (5)great for lunch (4)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- GracieVIPDined on 8/1/2014Ambience and service fantastic. Food was good although sushi was just too "complicated" with too many components for my taste. Saki selection was huge but they were out of a couple of the ones I wanted to try. Overall fun experienceSpecial Features:
- Excellent sushiMarie10Dined on 7/28/2014The sushi was very delicious - I can especially recommend the "Rockstar" - it was outstanding. We had one with mango - a big mistake, not my or my sons taste for sushi. The restaurant was VERY noicing. We were only two but it was difficult to have a conversation.
- LOVE THIS PLACEDenverericDined on 7/28/2014We were visiting Seattle and asked about a good sushi place. This place was mentioned a few times and it is delicious. Not only is it delicious, the service was great and it had a very easy going relaxed vibe. None of the stuck up attitude that can come with lots of sushi places. I will go back if back in Seattle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushi in SeattleKathrynDined on 7/25/2014Love the ambiance here and all the food. Belltown Barbie is my favorite roll!
- Not as Good as MomijiShazDined on 7/24/2014Even though the owners/menus are the same, for some reason Momiji is a better overall experience. Umi looks the part and the food is definitely great, but the service is nowhere near the level of quality/friendliness Momiji delivers.Special Features:
- GerryDined on 7/22/2014Best sushi! Excellent taste. Don't use soy sause as it will kill the awesome flavored inside.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentSound87Dined on 7/14/2014Had this with my friend on our last day visiting Seattle and it was some of the best Sushi I have ever hadSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi Heavensarg10VIPDined on 7/13/2014Umi has the largest sushi menu ever, but every piece is so delicious. The best piece was the albacore belly, followed closely by the salmon skin roll. The sake drinks were fantastic as well. The sushi was so fresh, I can't wait to go back!
- Terrific mealMVDubDined on 7/6/2014We came here without knowing much about the restaurant, and were pleasantly surprised by the excellent food. It was beautifully presented (especially the omikase, which I highly recommend), fresh and fulfilling. The ambience was mellow and unintrusive allowing us to focus on our conversation and the great eating experience. I rated this as having a "notable wine list" because as the name suggests they have an extensive sake menu.Special Features:
- Best Japanese in SeattleDeedslovestodineDined on 7/3/2014We ONLY come to Umi when we want Japanese and sushi - that says a lot given the sushi choices in Seattle. Get the roasted crab and the lobster tempura. Heaven!Special Features:
- OutstandingLTowcarDined on 6/24/2014A great time had by all (group of 7). Impressive sake selection, a bit pricy though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesomescottypDined on 6/18/2014Had some of the best sushi I've had in a long time. Very fresh and great presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi heavenHob101Dined on 6/18/2014We joined a friend here for fantastic Seattle sushi, on a brief trip through town. We were seated immediately at a great table. Great sake list- we asked our server to help us out, and her recommendation was excellent. We got chirashi, Hama Kama, and one roll to share- the moonriver roll (?). Chirashi and Hama Kama blew us away, and the roll was great too. A lot of food for three people, but we made it happen! Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/15/2014I was excited to come here from a recommendation from a friend that used to live in Japan. I was proven wrong with my assumption of coastal restaurants typically having better access to fresher fish/sushi than the Midwest. Food here was mediocre and service was horrible. Waiter claimed it was a busy sushi bar; we think it was a poor excuse. Took over thirty minutes to get second roll and sashimi had weird, mushy texture. I wouldn't recommend and wouldn't go again.
- Excellent and innovative cusineYumYumDined on 6/10/2014Best sushi ever. We thoroughly enjoyed the out-of-the-box creativity that went into the variety of rolls we tried. Each was it's own spectacular blend of new and old flavors that tantalized and excited our taste buds. The sake we ordered (forget the name) was a perfect complement to the flavors of each roll. We visited as a birthday treat, and the recipient was more than happy. It is a very noisy place, so be prepared!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- When they say spicy they mean it!FoodieFrancesVIPDined on 5/29/2014We enjoyed sitting in the far back room in the corner. It was less crowded and noisy than the main dining area. I ordered the lobster - which came with mushrooms in a teriyaki sauce. It was delicious! We shared two sushi rolls which were labeled as spicy - but too spicy for us! We couldn't finish them. One of our party had the tuna steak and asked for it cooked. It was very good. Overall a fun dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, noisy atmosphereLovesGreatFoodDined on 5/18/2014Loved the Copper River salmon sushi (expertly prepared) and the Moonraker roll was delicious! Unfortunately it was hard to hear my friend from across the table; they should add some noise-reducing panels as it was too loud to linger for after dinner drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and overall experienceHawksfan23Dined on 5/11/2014We came here for Mother's Day and wanted to try something new. The rolls were a mix between standard sushi and interesting combinations (some fruit, different sauces, ect). Our server Trevor was great at helping us decide what to order so that we could share. The atmosphere is a step up from other sushi restaurants in town and in my opinion, is the best sushi in town. Their happy hour is very reasonably priced and perfect portions. Only recommendation would to have brown rice available for sushi. Definitely coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bestJetsetter1VIPDined on 5/7/2014I travel every week all around. Umi has by far the best sushi ever.Special Features:
- AmazingbadgergirlDined on 5/6/2014Not from Seattle-area, but this was recommended. So glad it was... amazing rolls, sake flight, and energetic environment. Will definitely keep on my list for next time I return to Seattle.Special Features:
- Winner Winner Sashimi Dinner!8itallandsmiled4everDined on 5/5/2014One of my best sushi experiences ever! Outstanding sake selection! Specialty rolls so tasty...sacrilegious to soy dip! Dreamy sashimi! No disappointments here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 181 reviews are from the Umi Sake House reviews archive.
- Best Sushi in SeattlekkholidayDined on 4/18/2014After finding this place approximately 8 months ago, I have been unable to go to any other sushi bars because Umi has the best, most unique and delicious sushi rolls available in Seattle. Not only is their sushi high quality, top notch and the specialty bars are unbeatable- but the price is affordable! This is by far my favorite place to get sushi and enjoy a romantic evening with my special someone.Special Features:
- Rolls galoreTimberDined on 4/10/2014First time to Umi. A lot of different sake and sushi rolls to choose from. May be less overwhelming to peruse the online menu and have some idea. It takes a bit of time to look through all the potential selections. Very generous amount with the specialty rolls. Sushi/sashimi all great and fresh. Service is friendly and fast. Ambience is much noisier than typical sushi/Japanese restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Umi does sushi.TimmahDined on 4/4/2014Umi has been our go-to place for sushi since meeting in 2012. It will be our place for our entire lives. It has great food and great service. It can get a little noisy at times, but the food and service make up for that fact. Will always love going to Umi when we have our cravings for sushi!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place is AMAZING!!!IronCityDined on 3/28/2014This is literally the best sushi I've ever had. I'm not a sushi expert but I would highly recommend eating here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love UMI'STrish11Dined on 3/14/2014If you want great sushi then Umi's is where it's at. I recommend that you make reservations days before as you will NOT get a table without one. If you want great food and service then again, go to Umi's. The only thing I do like about this place is the noise. You cannot even hear yourself talk. This is by no means a romantic spot to dine if that's what your looking for. Look else where for a romantic spot because Umi's is not one of those.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Hour and SushiawomaninmotionDined on 3/11/2014I loved sitting in the Garden Room, though the plastic chairs on one side of the table were short and uncomfortable. There was a good selection of sushi and kitchen-prepared foods on the Happy Hour Menu at affordable prices. I ordered the beet salad, which was very tasty and my friend ordered the spicy California roll, which she loved. I also had three orders of sashimi - tuna, salmon and yellowtail. All were fresh and tasty - good portions too. Our server was very attentive, friendly and efficient. The atmosphere in the restaurant was lively and enjoyable. I will definitely go back and will tell my friends about this little gem in Belltown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Sushi in Seattle!CJStavertVIPDined on 2/24/2014By far the most innovative sushi rolls in Seattle. I have been dining here for two years now, and make it a must every time that I come to town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great but pricesChrisZVIPDined on 1/24/2014Food was great but prices were too high. 3 people and cost was almost $90 per.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food. Service iffy.KW33VIPDined on 1/10/2014This place has amazing food. It really does. But they would leave some peoples water empty while filling others and left us sitting at the table after we were done for 45 minutes with no server in sight. It was odd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- incrediblejlynnegDined on 12/29/2013Always such amazing food every time I go. Have yet to eat something that I didn't like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing RollsOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/7/2013Have never come across a roll that I didn't like (though having a cilantro allergy is a little limiting sometimes because 75% of the rolls have cilantro in them).Special Features:
- Great sushi and rollsEvergreenDinerVIPDined on 10/31/2013We stopped in to enjoy some of Seattle's sushi while in town. The sushi was excellent and the service was very good. It was Halloween. The entire staff was in costume which made the night festive.Special Features:
- We were surprised by how muchwysiwygDined on 10/25/2013We were surprised by how much room was in the restaurant. The waitress was very helpful and the sake options were fun to explore. We enjoyed a selection of mackerel and other dishes. the special list of house rolls all looked tempting but all on spicy side. We left very happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDING!!`MountainMikeDined on 10/6/2013Once again Umi did not disappoint! Absolutely fantastic food and great atmosphere. We will be back, many many thanks!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great happy hourOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/26/2013The happy hour menu is great, the food is really good and the drinks are inexpensive. I highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and delicious specialty rollsKateDined on 9/25/2013We got several specialty rolls, which were all delicious. The service was a bit slow, but it was very crowded. I made reservations and got right in. The sushi was very fresh tasting. I docked it a star because I have been to other places which showed a bit more creativity in their roll design and recipe, but I would highly recommend this place to others.I would recommend this to a friend.
- it rained on our foodgenemiaeDined on 9/15/2013The restaurant is pretty tired looking on the inside so don't go expecting elegance. it is a neighborhood stop. the food is good, but not great. as we were eating, it was raining outside and all of a sudden, water started pouring through the ceiling onto our food. we moved to another table and the waiter replaced the dishes that were washed out, but overall not a great dining experience. catch them on a sunny day.
- Love the sushi. Service was poor.Bowe0160Dined on 9/2/2013We have eaten here several times. I would have to say its our favorite sushi in the area. This visit the service was fair to poor. We tried ordering a bottle of saki in a specific price range and they were out of most bottles. The one we went with the server had initially dissuaded us from. It was still tasty but the process took about a half hour. Our food then took a really long time. We ordered 4 rolls one came in about 10 min, then it was about 20 min for the next two. Finally another 20-30 min later the last one came. They ended up comping the last roll which was really nice of them. All in all we'll be back for the sushi, it just wasn't our best experience this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing sushi! And gluten free too!btravis311VIPDined on 8/11/2013I really love sushi, but since going gluten free, most sushi restaurants are off limits. But not Umi! Thy make their rice the traditional way and also have gf soy sauce. Our server was very knowledgable about gluten free. I also loved their amazing selection of different rolls and fresh fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.