Umi Sake House
2230 First Avenue
Seattle, WA 98121Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Umi Sake House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://umisakehouse.com/
- Phone: 2063748717
- Hours of Operation:
Full menu served from 4pm-1am daily. Drinks 'til 2am.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Billy Beach
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Available with sufficient notice, and designed to suit function.
- Private Party Facilities: Available for wedding receptions, private parties, anniversaries, etc.
- Private Party Contact: Hostess/ Manager 2063748717
- Entertainment: Jazz, motown, or lounge music played 'til 10pm. Upbeat lounge, R&B, old school & 80's music played 10pm- close.
A word from Umi Sake House
Umi Sake House is a unique Japanese cuisine restaurant in the Belltown area of Seattle featuring the highest quality seafood available in the Northwest, a large izakaya-style tapas menu, and boasting a sake list of over 60 imported Japanese bottles. The interior is multi-faceted, with a black slate tiled traditional dining room, a gorgeous 14 person capacity wooden sushi bar, a semi private "tatami" room which holds 12 people, a larger 25 person private dining room, an enclosed "back patio" casual dining room complete with tropical garden, a black concrete liquor bar with custom sake cocktails and fusion traditional cocktails, and a "front porch" casual dining area with a daily extended happy hour from 4-8pm. The variety of atmospheres allows for a different experience with every visit, and the vastness and quality of the menu does the same. For the budding sake enthusiast or the seasoned veteran, the sake menu at Umi is bottle for bottle the best found anywhere outside of Japan!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Umi Sake House - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Umi Sake House reviews from OpenTable diners
72 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (33)good for groups (32)hot spot (26)neighborhood gem (19)special occasion (17)late-night find (16)vibrant bar scene (12)romantic (10)notable wine list (7)kid-friendly (5)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Energetic and ModernLaineyDined on 9/17/2014Great atmosphere and fresh, inventive sushi. Would go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place yummi sushiRiriDined on 9/14/2014Wide varieties to order from Nice ambience Good place to have good sushiSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VERY loud but great sushi!vttravelerDined on 9/12/2014didn't love how noisy this place was- could barely hear my dinner partner across our little table, and I have very acute hearing. Menu was huge- a little overwhelming in all of the choices- but our server helped by answering questions and making suggestions for us, and we loved our selections. Sake cocktails and a huge "sake list" as well, not something I've experienced before but fun to try these.Special Features:
- Love UmiDSMseattleVIPDined on 9/6/2014Always delicious! Great food, great atmosphere, great service!Special Features:
- Surprised by the good reviewsDoug1KristinaDined on 9/3/2014The food was not bad but it really wasn't all that great. We had a salmon sashimi plate and two rolls. The best thing about the dinner was our waitress. She was a ball of fire and so fun to watch working her tables.
- RubieDined on 8/30/2014The food in Umi is the best. Their ingredients r are topnotch and quality of the fish is amazing. Everything is always delicious!!Special Features:
- Awesome Sushi!TonyDined on 8/24/2014The Best in Seattle! I have not yet found a better sushi place in Seattle area.Special Features:
- Easy sushicoastiesDined on 8/23/2014Last great meal in Seattle on three day get away. We are amateurs when it comes to sushi but know enough to love the food. We couldn't get enough of it or the sake. We're also more chopstick friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GracieVIPDined on 8/1/2014Ambience and service fantastic. Food was good although sushi was just too "complicated" with too many components for my taste. Saki selection was huge but they were out of a couple of the ones I wanted to try. Overall fun experienceSpecial Features:
- Excellent sushiMarie10Dined on 7/28/2014The sushi was very delicious - I can especially recommend the "Rockstar" - it was outstanding. We had one with mango - a big mistake, not my or my sons taste for sushi. The restaurant was VERY noicing. We were only two but it was difficult to have a conversation.
- LOVE THIS PLACEDenverericDined on 7/28/2014We were visiting Seattle and asked about a good sushi place. This place was mentioned a few times and it is delicious. Not only is it delicious, the service was great and it had a very easy going relaxed vibe. None of the stuck up attitude that can come with lots of sushi places. I will go back if back in Seattle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushi in SeattleKathrynDined on 7/25/2014Love the ambiance here and all the food. Belltown Barbie is my favorite roll!
- Not as Good as MomijiShazDined on 7/24/2014Even though the owners/menus are the same, for some reason Momiji is a better overall experience. Umi looks the part and the food is definitely great, but the service is nowhere near the level of quality/friendliness Momiji delivers.Special Features:
- GerryDined on 7/22/2014Best sushi! Excellent taste. Don't use soy sause as it will kill the awesome flavored inside.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentSound87Dined on 7/14/2014Had this with my friend on our last day visiting Seattle and it was some of the best Sushi I have ever hadSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi Heavensarg10VIPDined on 7/13/2014Umi has the largest sushi menu ever, but every piece is so delicious. The best piece was the albacore belly, followed closely by the salmon skin roll. The sake drinks were fantastic as well. The sushi was so fresh, I can't wait to go back!
- Terrific mealMVDubDined on 7/6/2014We came here without knowing much about the restaurant, and were pleasantly surprised by the excellent food. It was beautifully presented (especially the omikase, which I highly recommend), fresh and fulfilling. The ambience was mellow and unintrusive allowing us to focus on our conversation and the great eating experience. I rated this as having a "notable wine list" because as the name suggests they have an extensive sake menu.Special Features:
- Best Japanese in SeattleDeedslovestodineDined on 7/3/2014We ONLY come to Umi when we want Japanese and sushi - that says a lot given the sushi choices in Seattle. Get the roasted crab and the lobster tempura. Heaven!Special Features:
- OutstandingLTowcarDined on 6/24/2014A great time had by all (group of 7). Impressive sake selection, a bit pricy though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesomescottypDined on 6/18/2014Had some of the best sushi I've had in a long time. Very fresh and great presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi heavenHob101Dined on 6/18/2014We joined a friend here for fantastic Seattle sushi, on a brief trip through town. We were seated immediately at a great table. Great sake list- we asked our server to help us out, and her recommendation was excellent. We got chirashi, Hama Kama, and one roll to share- the moonriver roll (?). Chirashi and Hama Kama blew us away, and the roll was great too. A lot of food for three people, but we made it happen! Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/15/2014I was excited to come here from a recommendation from a friend that used to live in Japan. I was proven wrong with my assumption of coastal restaurants typically having better access to fresher fish/sushi than the Midwest. Food here was mediocre and service was horrible. Waiter claimed it was a busy sushi bar; we think it was a poor excuse. Took over thirty minutes to get second roll and sashimi had weird, mushy texture. I wouldn't recommend and wouldn't go again.
- Excellent and innovative cusineYumYumDined on 6/10/2014Best sushi ever. We thoroughly enjoyed the out-of-the-box creativity that went into the variety of rolls we tried. Each was it's own spectacular blend of new and old flavors that tantalized and excited our taste buds. The sake we ordered (forget the name) was a perfect complement to the flavors of each roll. We visited as a birthday treat, and the recipient was more than happy. It is a very noisy place, so be prepared!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- When they say spicy they mean it!FoodieFrancesVIPDined on 5/29/2014We enjoyed sitting in the far back room in the corner. It was less crowded and noisy than the main dining area. I ordered the lobster - which came with mushrooms in a teriyaki sauce. It was delicious! We shared two sushi rolls which were labeled as spicy - but too spicy for us! We couldn't finish them. One of our party had the tuna steak and asked for it cooked. It was very good. Overall a fun dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 186 reviews are from the Umi Sake House reviews archive.
- Great food, noisy atmosphereLovesGreatFoodDined on 5/18/2014Loved the Copper River salmon sushi (expertly prepared) and the Moonraker roll was delicious! Unfortunately it was hard to hear my friend from across the table; they should add some noise-reducing panels as it was too loud to linger for after dinner drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and overall experienceHawksfan23Dined on 5/11/2014We came here for Mother's Day and wanted to try something new. The rolls were a mix between standard sushi and interesting combinations (some fruit, different sauces, ect). Our server Trevor was great at helping us decide what to order so that we could share. The atmosphere is a step up from other sushi restaurants in town and in my opinion, is the best sushi in town. Their happy hour is very reasonably priced and perfect portions. Only recommendation would to have brown rice available for sushi. Definitely coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bestJetsetter1VIPDined on 5/7/2014I travel every week all around. Umi has by far the best sushi ever.Special Features:
- AmazingbadgergirlDined on 5/6/2014Not from Seattle-area, but this was recommended. So glad it was... amazing rolls, sake flight, and energetic environment. Will definitely keep on my list for next time I return to Seattle.Special Features:
- Winner Winner Sashimi Dinner!8itallandsmiled4everDined on 5/5/2014One of my best sushi experiences ever! Outstanding sake selection! Specialty rolls so tasty...sacrilegious to soy dip! Dreamy sashimi! No disappointments here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Sushi in SeattlekkholidayDined on 4/18/2014After finding this place approximately 8 months ago, I have been unable to go to any other sushi bars because Umi has the best, most unique and delicious sushi rolls available in Seattle. Not only is their sushi high quality, top notch and the specialty bars are unbeatable- but the price is affordable! This is by far my favorite place to get sushi and enjoy a romantic evening with my special someone.Special Features:
- Rolls galoreTimberDined on 4/10/2014First time to Umi. A lot of different sake and sushi rolls to choose from. May be less overwhelming to peruse the online menu and have some idea. It takes a bit of time to look through all the potential selections. Very generous amount with the specialty rolls. Sushi/sashimi all great and fresh. Service is friendly and fast. Ambience is much noisier than typical sushi/Japanese restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Umi does sushi.TimmahDined on 4/4/2014Umi has been our go-to place for sushi since meeting in 2012. It will be our place for our entire lives. It has great food and great service. It can get a little noisy at times, but the food and service make up for that fact. Will always love going to Umi when we have our cravings for sushi!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place is AMAZING!!!IronCityDined on 3/28/2014This is literally the best sushi I've ever had. I'm not a sushi expert but I would highly recommend eating here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love UMI'STrish11Dined on 3/14/2014If you want great sushi then Umi's is where it's at. I recommend that you make reservations days before as you will NOT get a table without one. If you want great food and service then again, go to Umi's. The only thing I do like about this place is the noise. You cannot even hear yourself talk. This is by no means a romantic spot to dine if that's what your looking for. Look else where for a romantic spot because Umi's is not one of those.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Hour and SushiawomaninmotionDined on 3/11/2014I loved sitting in the Garden Room, though the plastic chairs on one side of the table were short and uncomfortable. There was a good selection of sushi and kitchen-prepared foods on the Happy Hour Menu at affordable prices. I ordered the beet salad, which was very tasty and my friend ordered the spicy California roll, which she loved. I also had three orders of sashimi - tuna, salmon and yellowtail. All were fresh and tasty - good portions too. Our server was very attentive, friendly and efficient. The atmosphere in the restaurant was lively and enjoyable. I will definitely go back and will tell my friends about this little gem in Belltown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Sushi in Seattle!CJStavertVIPDined on 2/24/2014By far the most innovative sushi rolls in Seattle. I have been dining here for two years now, and make it a must every time that I come to town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great but pricesChrisZVIPDined on 1/24/2014Food was great but prices were too high. 3 people and cost was almost $90 per.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food. Service iffy.KW33VIPDined on 1/10/2014This place has amazing food. It really does. But they would leave some peoples water empty while filling others and left us sitting at the table after we were done for 45 minutes with no server in sight. It was odd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- incrediblejlynnegDined on 12/29/2013Always such amazing food every time I go. Have yet to eat something that I didn't like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing RollsOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/7/2013Have never come across a roll that I didn't like (though having a cilantro allergy is a little limiting sometimes because 75% of the rolls have cilantro in them).Special Features: