2845 W. Irving Park
Chicago, IL 60618Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://umichicago.com/
- Phone: 7734637299
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Thursday & Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm, Thursday & Friday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday & Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese, Asian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Counter Seating, Delivery, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from Umi
Offering fresh, clean flavors of Japan in a casual yet elegant atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Umi reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (6)fit for foodies (4)romantic (4)good for groups (3)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (3)special occasion (2)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- First time, and we will be back!LovelyLunchVIPDined on 8/29/2014Fresh, delicious sushi. Great, attentive service, and lovely decor in an unlikely location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre food/service for the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/8/2014A little overpriced for the cooked food and some sushi items. I won't go back just because I can get same or better food for cheaper. But if you are in the neighborhood and within walking distance go for it!Special Features:
- WonderfulTccccDined on 5/24/2014This Asian restaurant located in the strip mall is very deceiving bye it's outside appearance. Inside the food is impeccable. Wonderful waitstaff great selection fresh sushi. Definitely will go back. Highly recommendSpecial Features:
- Great local Japanese restaurantezdinerDined on 5/11/2014I love Umi! The food is consistently good and the service is warm and friendly. The atmosphere is relaxed with a modern coolness. The appetizers, sushi, and entrees are prepared tastefully and are generous portions. To make things even better, they have now added liquor to their menu. I highly recommend this little northwest side gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 33 reviews are from the Umi reviews archive.
- Authentic but expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/22/2014The food and service was great but a little expensive. Bar only had sake and beer.Special Features:
- Great food,friendly staff,MannyDined on 3/11/2014Great food,friendly staff, would recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ChangeLookn4adealDined on 2/12/2014It was refreshing to find a quiet, friendly, and reasonably priced sushi restaurant close to home. Our meal was fresh and the service was really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Japanese food with ayosh62VIPDined on 1/11/2014Solid Japanese food with a nice ambiance despite the strip mall location. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- Great foodchrishDined on 1/4/2014The sushi here is quite good, but I wish they were still BYOB. But, I'll still come here anyway.I would recommend this to a friend.
- eh.AlwaysggDined on 1/3/2014definitely had better. the gyoza are gross... sushi is average at best, service.....um, yeah.
- Definitely going back, but....GroupDinerDined on 11/15/2013...watch for the speed cameras on Irving Park between Western Ave. and California .Special Features:
- Best Northside Japanese Restaurant!KeithDined on 10/19/2013I have eaten here on several occasions now, and I have to say that this is the best Japanese Restaurant I've eaten at in Chicago. The food is outstanding, especially the Teriyaki Chilean Sea Bass and any of the Makis (my favorite is the Rainbow). Behind the unassuming storefront near Irving Park and California lies a chic and modern, yet comfortable, space. Umi offers everything you would ever want in a great restaurant, including easy parking. It's also BYOB, so bring your favorite bottle of wine and have a fantastic and memorable experience at Umi!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not OpenLwilkinsDined on 10/8/2013I intended to take my my here for her birthday, Only to find out that they had been shut down by the city of chicago. Not sure why they were shut down or when they'll be back open, but i will definitely not be returning.
- Interesting experienceMuffin34Dined on 7/18/2013I have been here many times, in fact I really enjoy this place, and clearly have enjoyed it time and time again. As usual the food and service was very good. I brought a co-worker for lunch to show off a new place for them to dine at. However, the restaurant felt as though I was sitting in a sauna ... not good when you're thinking sushi. I swear it was cooler outside, in the middle of July on a 90+ degree day, than it was inside. I'm hopeful that they have since fixed the situation so I can go back and enjoy a comfortable meal soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was friendly.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/30/2013The service was friendly. Bought a groupon so got a lot of food. The sushi was honestly just okay though. Had the fiery tuna specialty roll and it got bland after awhile. The crunch maki was good. The gyoza was okay. My cousin had the sashimi set, so I don't know how that tasted.Special Features:
- What great sushi place. AOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/23/2013What great sushi place. A gem definitely! It was a little pricier than we were used to, but it was a treat.Special Features:
- Great place with great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/15/2013Great place with great food and very nice staff. Couldn't make fried rice as a side dish for some reason even though they have it as an entree.Special Features:
- Great variety--sushi and noodlesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/26/2013Lovely ambiance--elegant and comfortable at the same time. Good menu for everybody (which isn't always the case at a sushi place)--sushi/sashimi, delicious bowls of noodles, scrumptious cooked fish selections and more. Friendly wait staff.Special Features:
- Some of the best sashimi I'veOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/7/2013Some of the best sashimi I've had in the city, especially the scallop (both the spicy scallop roll and the hotate nigiri was DELICIOUS). The staff is very friendly and the interior is quite nice. Don't be deceived that it's in a strip mall--once you're inside, you can't tell at all (they do a nice frosting thing on the window that makes it very nice and intimate in there). I highly recommend Umi!!Special Features:
- Great ambiance inside this BYOB!ChicagoGirl10Dined on 12/7/2012Don't let the frosted windows of this sushi restaurant in a strip mall fool you. Great ambiance inside of this BYOB! The husband and I got the Triple Maki Spicy and Tropical Maki that were very good with nice portions. Would probably not get the tuna tartar appetizer again though. Will definitely be back!RSpecial Features:
- sushi was good and displayedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/10/2012sushi was good and displayed nicely. the service on a saturday night was slow.
- Great to see Sukiyaki on theOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/3/2012Great to see Sukiyaki on the menu. Sweet Asian broth filled with beef, vegetables and noodles. There is a good selection of freshly made artsy sushiSpecial Features:
- The Food was excellent! It's10121996Dined on 10/13/2012The Food was excellent! It's BYOB! If you need to keep something cold, ask for a bucket with ice.Special Features:
- I've been here a couple timesJillDined on 8/27/2012I've been here a couple times and feel that you can definitely get your money's worth of sushi here. The service is pretty good and sushi is fresh and inventive. If only they served sake :)Special Features:
- A Perfect NightjoshDined on 6/28/2012Well I took my girlfriend for our anniversary and I couldn't have asked for more. I had her favorite flowers delivered to the restaurant and they had them placed perfectly on our table with a reserved sign when we arrived. She loved the presentation. The food was delicious and fresh, and we were served quickly. Our waiter was very attentive and friendly also. It actually costed less then I anticipated for such caliber of service. I would highly recommend Umi. My girlfriend loved it and was impressed that I had found such a nice place, and believe me, she's notices the smallest details. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Excellent food! Very creativeMashaO413Dined on 6/24/2012Excellent food! Very creative appetizers and we would definitely come back for the desert! Their fried bananas with green tea ice cream were to die for! The location is not so hot, but don't judge the book by its cover!Special Features:
- The sushi is good but notOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/1/2012The sushi is good but not great, the prices are average so that's ok. It's a really nice looking restaurant. Most average priced sushi restaurants look more like take-out joints, so the well appointed dining room is a plus. The service is friendly and very good. And, I always like a BYOB.
- Good selection of food, triedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/19/2012Good selection of food, tried several items. Service was quick (almost uncomfortably quick) but thorough. Very reasonable pricing for the large portion sizes. Wish they delivered a little further!Special Features:
- We celebrated my nephew'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/18/2012We celebrated my nephew's 21st birthday and everything was just perfect...the service and food were top notch. We had a large group of 12 and our server was most accomodating and attentive - everyone thoroughly enjoyed the evening!Special Features:
- Food is very ordinary. RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/28/2012Food is very ordinary. Restaurant was more than 1/2 empty at 7:30 on a Saturday night.
- Won't rush back.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/20/2012Umi is located in a strip mall so I did not expect much. That said, the restaurant was nicely decorated and has a modern fresh look. However, the lighting was too bright making for a lunch/ diner feeling. Food was mediocre at best. Service was friendly but way to fast.
- Very nice place. Better thanOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/15/2012Very nice place. Better than we expected. We had both the sashimi and sushi combo's as well as the chicken teriaki. Everything was good/acceptable. Decor was very nice. Don't know if we'd recommend it, but may try it again. Would probably select our sushi and try the noodles.
- From the outside it looksJeanVIPDined on 4/3/2012From the outside it looks like an unassuming strip mall restaurant, inside it is a different story. The sushi was quite good, the decor very pretty, and the service attentive. We also tried a spicy beef udon soup that was really good and very hearty. Its BYOB so also a value as sushi places go.Special Features:
- As a BYOB they made you feelddorightDined on 3/16/2012As a BYOB they made you feel that whatever your beverage was like it was from them. They brought out the appropriate glass for saki. Staff covered each other to make sure your water glass was filled and kept checking to see if we needed anything else. They did not rush you out even though you might have been done.Special Features:
- The food was great, the environmentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/10/2012The food was great, the environment is lovely and the service was very good. My only criticism is we were trying to have a quiet dinner and were seated near a large, young, loud group, which was not the evening that we had planned. We would come back but ask to be seated in a quieter area.Special Features:
- It's great to have a decentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/3/2012It's great to have a decent sushi place in walking distance. The maki was good, not amazing, but the prices are decent. Service was great and the general vibe was very comfortable. We'll be back!
- A lovely sushi restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/7/2012A lovely sushi restaurant that's easy to drive by without noticing. They have a great selection of high-quality rolls in a nicely-designed restaurant. If you're vegetarian, they have a large number of rolls without fish. And if you like Tank in Lincoln Square, this is a more-affordable and significantly-quieter alternative only 5 minutes away. The menu also has a large selection of Japenese dishes, but the sushi's so good, that's all I've eaten. This has become my go-to sushi place.Special Features: