295 Franklin St.
Boston, MA 02110Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.umbriaprime.com/
- Phone: (617) 338-1000
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch weekdays 11:30 to 2:30 p.m. ; Dinner: Mon – Fri from 5:30 to 11 p.m.; Sat from 5:00 to 11:00 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Gianni Caruso
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: FROM CORPORATE DINNERS AND LUNCHES, board meetings, cocktail receptions, product launches, sales presentations, birthdays, rehearsal dinners to wedding receptions, UMBRIA PRIME provides your group with the very best in private dining in Boston. Our first class venue offers multifunctional space for you to choose from which can accommodate groups of 10 to 450.
- Private Party Contact: Jesslyn Delaney 6173387204
- Entertainment: PRIME THE NIGHTCLUB IS OPEN FRIDAY, SATURDAY AND HOLIDAY SUNDAYS 10PM - 2AM.
A word from Umbria Prime
Umbria Prime, located at 295 Franklin Street, is situated in the heart of Boston's Financial District, just steps away from the waterfront. With an ambience mirroring that of an Italian Villa, the restaurant, surrounded by rustic brick walls, Italian marble and hardwood floors offer a romantic dinner setting and an inviting atmosphere for cocktails. Umbria Prime specializes in traditional steakhouse fare including corn-fed, 21-day dry-aged beef, chops and fresh seafood as well as artisan Umbrian pastas. Diners can also enjoy a large selection of Californian and Italian wines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Umbria Prime reviews from OpenTable diners
53 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
romantic (20)neighborhood gem (20)special occasion (17)fit for foodies (15)notable wine list (11)great for lunch (7)good for groups (7)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (4)hot spot (3)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Great spotTriplemomVIPDined on 11/22/2014Nice neighborhood type restaurant. Great service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hits all the right notes.leeleeCTDined on 11/10/2014The polished, quiet atmosphere encourages you to immerse yourself in a great dining experience. The food was incredible, filet mignon with bernaise sauce and the salmon were delicious, as well as the appetizers and sides. Menu is on the pricey side and items are sold ala carte, but portions are extremely generous and shareable. We will make Umbria Prime a regular stop when we are in Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never dissappointedKapersVIPDined on 11/10/2014Pasta dishes always seems fresh and the steaks are cooked to profession. Great for small groups!Special Features:
- we really liked itkaymtDined on 11/1/2014The restaurant itself is very nice, and has a great bar area while waiting for your table, or even to eat at itself. I'd say, the steak selection was a little overpriced, even compared to other high end steak houses in the city. My boyfriend and I went here to celebrate a special occasion. We split the 32 oz porterhouse for 2, it was the best deal and the steak was excellent. We also enjoyed the larage selection of the raw bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good food and serviceChowhoundVIPDined on 10/31/2014We have been to this restaurant several times over the past year and we believe that it is one of the better restaurants in the financial district. All of the ingredients, including the seafood and meat, are fresh, of high quality and well-prepared. The service is friendly and efficient and the restaurant itself is attractive. We have had some very nice dinners with the family at Umbria Prime. On occasions when we have been looking for a faster and less expensive option, sitting at the bar and sharing a couple of items has also worked well for us.Special Features:
- A Nice Find!CRW2Dined on 10/27/2014Professional staff, excellent food, relatively low noise level. My first visit. It was a Monday night, but was pretty busy. I sensed they had a lot of repeat customers. I know why! I'll be one of them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oct 2014BasalSkullDined on 10/20/2014Group dinner with colleagues, good food, reasonable price, good ambience, no complaints, definitely would go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I rememberLocalDined on 10/18/2014I recall one of my first experiences there being good, nice vive, service and good quality food. Seems like its lost a step. Service was slow, food was OK, some better than others. Was looking forward to the ribeye (they didn't have any). Specials weren't clear. Better values, experiences and quality elsewhere.
- Nice Italian ChophousepmnyVIPDined on 10/15/2014Always good food and service at Umbria. Nice wine list. there are two dinning rooms one on the first floor and the second upstairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So consistentBTBOSVIPDined on 9/23/2014They food, service and overall experience just continue to repeat as top performer, time after time. This is one of my absolute favoritesSpecial Features:
- On businessFoodlovegoodDined on 9/18/2014I first noticed it late night and ate at the bar, then went back to take associates for dinner a few days later.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant was not romantic.notafanDined on 9/13/2014This place was a big disappointment. I would not go there again, nor would I recommend it to anyone. The menu was very pricey, and the food wasn't worth it.Special Features:
- Food was good, service wasn'tdabradVIPDined on 8/30/2014The food was good. Crab cakes and Carpaccio were a great way to start off the meal. The porterhouse for 2 and the lobster mash potatoes, were cooked perfectly. The only complaint I have is about the service. Our waiter never gave us the specials of the day. He spent much of his time taking to a different table. He didn't check for refills on beverages. I guess they don't have a dessert menu either, because he listed off a bunch of item and left for us to decide. We decided to go elsewhere for dessert.Special Features:
- Happy it was restaurant week.tlarkDined on 8/29/2014Let me start off by saying the wine was quite enjoyable. The mussels, both orders were gritty beyond acceptance. Our server handled the situation well, however and this was appreciated. Replaced with a burrata salad which was appetizing... We ordered sparkling water --one of our glasses was refilled with tap water by the busser. Our entrees of black salmon, was not asked what temp I preferred it to be cooked; and roasted chicken, cooked to the point of complete dryness. This, along with no discerning taste to any of the rest of our food was quite disappointing. At this point we asked for our dessert, the panna cotta to go. Its taste unfortunately, oily....still trying to understand this...fat content too high in the heavy cream perhaps??Special Features:
- Great LunchpkepDined on 8/29/2014went here for lunch , food was excellent, service was very good. we loved the re-purposed old building that it was in.Special Features:
- Middle of the roadOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/28/2014I have dined here a number of times. The food and service is either on the mark or way off. On this visit the food was mediocre.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was super, BUTOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/27/2014The food and service were superb, BUT their air conditioning was NOT working and the restaurant was steaming HOT.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/27/2014Plenty to choose from for restaurant week but service was very slow and was expecting steak as a choice on the menu for the price of the lunch.
- Very Good Dine Out Boston LunchmrstibsVIPDined on 8/25/2014Have wanted to try Umbria for awhile so this was a good chance to do that. The Dine Out Boston menu was good. I had the bibb lettuce salad and my friend had the tomato basil soup. We both enjoyed our first course. For the entree, I got the brick chicken and my friend got the braised short ribs. Both were very flavorful although I did not enjoy the broccoli rabe but the potatoes were good. For dessert, we both had the panna cota which was delicious. Overall, good experience.Special Features:
- Great Date NightDB12Dined on 8/22/2014Went to Umbria for the first time during restuaramt week and it was great. I took my girlfriend there and we both had a great time. The ambiance is superb and the food was we'll prepared and very tasty. Overall a great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wrong choiceReturntoBigaVIPDined on 8/20/2014Steaks were undercooked all around. Side were not fresh. Waiterss would disappear for 30 minutes.
- Umbria PrimebostonmargiDined on 8/19/2014One of my favorites that never disappoints. Food is always top notch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- for the price it was not worth itjaymillDined on 8/16/2014I decided to take my girlfriend to Umbria after having a good experience with my friends 8 months earlier. The atmosphere is wonderful and the wait staff was extremely attentive, but that is where the accolades end. The dinner was extremely subpar especially for those prices. First, the restaurant did not have the porterhouse for 2, I could understand if it were extremely busy. Secondly, the bone end ribeye was very fatty, however some of the steak was delectable and cooked perfectly. We had to send a cold baked potato back and the second one wasn't that much better. The broccoli rabe was not good and I would not recommend it. The price did not match the qualitySpecial Features:
- The following 791 reviews are from the Umbria Prime reviews archive.
- Great MealHarveyDined on 7/24/2014The rib eye was one of the best I have ever eaten. The potato and carrots were great. The waiter was very attentive and gracious. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/19/2014Had a great meal! Service was a little slow at the beginning but ended up being it's attentive self.Special Features:
- FoodlovediningoutDined on 7/12/2014I had the ginger Tuna tartar and I wasn't impress. Also we order the chicken ravioli which was terrible. Service was great and ambience.Also the salad was really good.Special Features:
- AmbienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/12/2014The walls near my table were broken and unsightly. The inside badly needs repair including restrooms. Service and food were great when you see walls and ceilings like this you worry about the kitchen conditions.
- It was just okDJ73Dined on 6/28/2014Umbria was fine. Celebrated our Aniversary there. For the prices the ambiance did not match. Pop music was loudly heard overhead. We ordered the porthouse steak for 2. It was cooked as ordered. The sides were good too. For the $200+ tab, it just did not meet my expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, disappointing serviceFoodDined on 6/12/2014Food is awesome. Service is very, very ordinary. Staff seems disengaged. Check your bill in details.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would not recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/6/2014It is overpriced for okay food. For the prices comparable to top steakhouses in Boston, this was a huge disappointment. The sides were good, but main dishes wouldn't be worth going back for prices $36-$60. For these prices/caliber of restaurant they are trying to be, the bathroom is disgusting.
- Best Steaks in BostonShack2053VIPDined on 5/20/2014Met a friend for a mid-week boy's steak night and we were not disappointed. After sticking with the Boylston steak houses for so long, we decided to venture to the Financial District area. Ordered the Sirloin and it was perfectly cooked, and came with a stick of bone marrow, such a pleasant surprise and fantastically yummy. Usual group of side dishes but all cooked perfectly. A plus of the menu is the balance of pasta dishes, seafood and the great steaks (35 day dry-aged!). Good wine list, with a heavy Italian preference, and well-matched for the menu. We will be back!Special Features:
- DinnerDined on 5/16/2014Great place. Wonderful for food ambience and romantic outingsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinnerselectivechefVIPDined on 5/13/2014The food was good but not distinctive, and that even includes a salad, which lacked enough dressing and flavors. I did not have a steak though, which I would imagine is their specialty. Service was fine. I would go back for convenience, but given the high prices, would probably look at other choices, as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every time is fantastic . .lovetoeatVIPDined on 5/10/2014On quiet Franklin St. this is a superb restaurant on many levels. Great steaks, seafood, and shellfish. Food preparation is awesome. Menu is very interesting and tempting. We love the service, and the atmosphere is low key, quiet even when full, no hurrying you along, and a lot of wood. No need to seek out the North End for an authentic Italian experience. If you're staying at the Langham Hotel, it's just a short walk, you can see Umbria when you walk out the front door. If you go here, you'll fall in love with it.Special Features:
- Umbria Prime…a real find!Bx2BostonVIPDined on 4/16/2014I have been to Umbria several times….one-on-one, and in larger groups…always walk away very satisfied and very happy. Great menu choices and selections…excellent blend of steakhouse and elegant italian cuisine. Service is always friendly and accommodating. Wine list is very broad without being overwhelming…food is fast to table and tasty. Ambiance is fit for both intimate setting, friendly gatherings and business! It is in Boston's Financial District…walking distance to waterfront and Fanueil Hall. It is worth finding!Special Features:
- Saturday was my husband'sPeasleyDined on 4/12/2014Saturday was my husband's birthday and this restaurant has been on his list for a while. This waitress was very accommodating and answered all of my questions (I have a dairy allergy and I don't eat meat). I started with the Prime Cosmo, one of the best I've had and my husband ordered a bottle of red. The waitress let us enjoy our cocktails at a nice pace. I ordered the lobster cocktail and the Chilean Sea Bass. The lobster cocktail was the only disappointment of the evening. To be fair, it was a lot of lobster, but I think the taste of the lobster got lost in the shallots and other additions. The Sea Bass was outstanding, sweet and creamy in a tomato broth, also a side of Italian fries, also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and scene for aBigTimmyCaseDined on 4/10/2014great food and scene for a business dinner. Oysters selection and wine list very good. Loved the Sea bass. Osso buco was outstanding. Lamb shank looked great.Special Features:
- Great SteakAndyVIPDined on 4/1/2014My date and I got the porterhouse steak to split, was amazing, really amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was outstanding.JwendDined on 3/29/2014The food was outstanding. I would have given a 5-star rating for service, but the host and hostess were somewhat rude when we arrived; our waitress was top-notch.Special Features:
- FabulousMyTummyisFullVIPDined on 3/29/2014I truly feel I'm a professional Diner...I enjoy fine dining...and great professional service makes the restaurant... Umbria is a great place for a romantic evening...Our service (Antonio) was very kind, soft spoken, answered all questions, very professional...he knew his audience...great job... The food was fabulous/succulent...Apps of Oysters Lobster Cocktail were deliicous...However, by far and wide THE BEST Shrimp Coctail..I've had recently.....total awesome...Chilean SeaBass was very delicious..I had the Filet...incredible...the Hand cut seasoned French Fries were very flavorfull...as was the Wild Mushrooms...great meal great place...go there and enjoy...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.