295 Franklin St.
Boston, MA 02110Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.umbriaprime.com/
- Phone: 6173381000
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch weekdays 11:30 to 2:30 p.m. ; Dinner: Mon – Fri from 5:30 to 11 p.m.; Sat from 5:00 to 11:00 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Gianni Caruso
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: FROM CORPORATE DINNERS AND LUNCHES, board meetings, cocktail receptions, product launches, sales presentations, birthdays, rehearsal dinners to wedding receptions, UMBRIA PRIME provides your group with the very best in private dining in Boston. Our first class venue offers multifunctional space for you to choose from which can accommodate groups of 10 to 450.
- Private Party Contact: Jesslyn Delaney 6173387204
- Entertainment: PRIME THE NIGHTCLUB IS OPEN FRIDAY, SATURDAY AND HOLIDAY SUNDAYS 10PM - 2AM.
A word from Umbria Prime
Umbria Prime, located at 295 Franklin Street, is situated in the heart of Boston's Financial District, just steps away from the waterfront. With an ambience mirroring that of an Italian Villa, the restaurant, surrounded by rustic brick walls, Italian marble and hardwood floors offer a romantic dinner setting and an inviting atmosphere for cocktails. Umbria Prime specializes in traditional steakhouse fare including corn-fed, 21-day dry-aged beef, chops and fresh seafood as well as artisan Umbrian pastas. Diners can also enjoy a large selection of Californian and Italian wines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Umbria Prime reviews from OpenTable diners
24 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (10)romantic (10)notable wine list (6)neighborhood gem (5)fit for foodies (5)great for lunch (3)late-night find (2)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for outdoor dining (1)good for groups (1)Show More
- Umbria PrimebostonmargiDined on 8/19/2014One of my favorites that never disappoints. Food is always top notch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- for the price it was not worth itjaymillDined on 8/16/2014I decided to take my girlfriend to Umbria after having a good experience with my friends 8 months earlier. The atmosphere is wonderful and the wait staff was extremely attentive, but that is where the accolades end. The dinner was extremely subpar especially for those prices. First, the restaurant did not have the porterhouse for 2, I could understand if it were extremely busy. Secondly, the bone end ribeye was very fatty, however some of the steak was delectable and cooked perfectly. We had to send a cold baked potato back and the second one wasn't that much better. The broccoli rabe was not good and I would not recommend it. The price did not match the qualitySpecial Features:
- Great MealHarveyDined on 7/24/2014The rib eye was one of the best I have ever eaten. The potato and carrots were great. The waiter was very attentive and gracious. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/19/2014Had a great meal! Service was a little slow at the beginning but ended up being it's attentive self.Special Features:
- FoodlovediningoutDined on 7/12/2014I had the ginger Tuna tartar and I wasn't impress. Also we order the chicken ravioli which was terrible. Service was great and ambience.Also the salad was really good.Special Features:
- AmbienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/12/2014The walls near my table were broken and unsightly. The inside badly needs repair including restrooms. Service and food were great when you see walls and ceilings like this you worry about the kitchen conditions.
- It was just okDJ73Dined on 6/28/2014Umbria was fine. Celebrated our Aniversary there. For the prices the ambiance did not match. Pop music was loudly heard overhead. We ordered the porthouse steak for 2. It was cooked as ordered. The sides were good too. For the $200+ tab, it just did not meet my expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, disappointing serviceFoodDined on 6/12/2014Food is awesome. Service is very, very ordinary. Staff seems disengaged. Check your bill in details.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would not recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/6/2014It is overpriced for okay food. For the prices comparable to top steakhouses in Boston, this was a huge disappointment. The sides were good, but main dishes wouldn't be worth going back for prices $36-$60. For these prices/caliber of restaurant they are trying to be, the bathroom is disgusting.
- Best Steaks in BostonShack2053VIPDined on 5/20/2014Met a friend for a mid-week boy's steak night and we were not disappointed. After sticking with the Boylston steak houses for so long, we decided to venture to the Financial District area. Ordered the Sirloin and it was perfectly cooked, and came with a stick of bone marrow, such a pleasant surprise and fantastically yummy. Usual group of side dishes but all cooked perfectly. A plus of the menu is the balance of pasta dishes, seafood and the great steaks (35 day dry-aged!). Good wine list, with a heavy Italian preference, and well-matched for the menu. We will be back!Special Features:
- DinnerDined on 5/16/2014Great place. Wonderful for food ambience and romantic outingsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinnerselectivechefVIPDined on 5/13/2014The food was good but not distinctive, and that even includes a salad, which lacked enough dressing and flavors. I did not have a steak though, which I would imagine is their specialty. Service was fine. I would go back for convenience, but given the high prices, would probably look at other choices, as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every time is fantastic . .lovetoeatVIPDined on 5/10/2014On quiet Franklin St. this is a superb restaurant on many levels. Great steaks, seafood, and shellfish. Food preparation is awesome. Menu is very interesting and tempting. We love the service, and the atmosphere is low key, quiet even when full, no hurrying you along, and a lot of wood. No need to seek out the North End for an authentic Italian experience. If you're staying at the Langham Hotel, it's just a short walk, you can see Umbria when you walk out the front door. If you go here, you'll fall in love with it.Special Features:
- The following 778 reviews are from the Umbria Prime reviews archive.
- Umbria Prime…a real find!Bx2BostonVIPDined on 4/16/2014I have been to Umbria several times….one-on-one, and in larger groups…always walk away very satisfied and very happy. Great menu choices and selections…excellent blend of steakhouse and elegant italian cuisine. Service is always friendly and accommodating. Wine list is very broad without being overwhelming…food is fast to table and tasty. Ambiance is fit for both intimate setting, friendly gatherings and business! It is in Boston's Financial District…walking distance to waterfront and Fanueil Hall. It is worth finding!Special Features:
- Saturday was my husband'sPeasleyDined on 4/12/2014Saturday was my husband's birthday and this restaurant has been on his list for a while. This waitress was very accommodating and answered all of my questions (I have a dairy allergy and I don't eat meat). I started with the Prime Cosmo, one of the best I've had and my husband ordered a bottle of red. The waitress let us enjoy our cocktails at a nice pace. I ordered the lobster cocktail and the Chilean Sea Bass. The lobster cocktail was the only disappointment of the evening. To be fair, it was a lot of lobster, but I think the taste of the lobster got lost in the shallots and other additions. The Sea Bass was outstanding, sweet and creamy in a tomato broth, also a side of Italian fries, also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and scene for aBigTimmyCaseDined on 4/10/2014great food and scene for a business dinner. Oysters selection and wine list very good. Loved the Sea bass. Osso buco was outstanding. Lamb shank looked great.Special Features:
- Great SteakAndyVIPDined on 4/1/2014My date and I got the porterhouse steak to split, was amazing, really amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was outstanding.JwendDined on 3/29/2014The food was outstanding. I would have given a 5-star rating for service, but the host and hostess were somewhat rude when we arrived; our waitress was top-notch.Special Features:
- FabulousMyTummyisFullVIPDined on 3/29/2014I truly feel I'm a professional Diner...I enjoy fine dining...and great professional service makes the restaurant... Umbria is a great place for a romantic evening...Our service (Antonio) was very kind, soft spoken, answered all questions, very professional...he knew his audience...great job... The food was fabulous/succulent...Apps of Oysters Lobster Cocktail were deliicous...However, by far and wide THE BEST Shrimp Coctail..I've had recently.....total awesome...Chilean SeaBass was very delicious..I had the Filet...incredible...the Hand cut seasoned French Fries were very flavorfull...as was the Wild Mushrooms...great meal great place...go there and enjoy...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome filet,like butter!MarchoutingDined on 3/28/2014Went for Boston dine out. Had the filet mignon,it cut like butter. We had the oysters for an appetizer,they were fresh and tender. The filet was quite large,we asked for salt and pepper because of the other reviews,but did not really need them. We've been here a couple of years before and the meal was just as excellent. You need to really appreciate a good cut of meat to enjoy this out of the way place. We will certainly be back. Can't understand the other reviews about seasoning most places overseason so much you don't taste the actual food. The service was excellent,we were in and out with drinks in about an hour,got to have after dinner drinks on the town. Almost no room for dessert. Don't let the other reviews make you miss this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok, but not worth the moneychampDined on 3/28/2014My party chose from both the restaurant week menu and the regular menu, but were disappointed. The food is fine but nothing extraordinary at least for our choices which were salmon and a veal osso bucco.
- Expected betterJeffDined on 3/28/2014Filet was a little dry and lacking flavor. Expected better for the price.
- Foods are deliciousSarahfromQuarryStreetDined on 3/27/2014We came for Boston Restaurant Week. This place is a little pricey but the foods are delicious. Good service too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went for lunch for restauranttrublusuDined on 3/27/2014We went for lunch for restaurant week as advertised on the restaurant week it was $20.00. When we got there for our reservation it was $25.00. The food and atmosphere were good, the service just ok. It wasn't really any time of bargain though.Special Features:
- Unfortunate SituationOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/26/2014After having two very enjoyable lunches previous to this one, this was not. It was due to an incompetent server. Food was slow to come and drinks even slower. The food was very good when it did come but somewhat cool. Overall I feel the restaurant is worth another visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Umbria for Restaurant WeekhappyeatsDined on 3/25/2014I went here for restaraunt week and everything was very very delicious. It is on the pricey side for drinks, but we were getting such a deal for the restaurant week prices it didn't matter to us. The steak was cooked perfectly and the canolis were really good. The cheesecake was so light and yummy. The mozzarella and tomato salad was very fresh. I only say that I felt rushed by the service. We sat down and within minutes of seating us we were asked twice if we knew what we wanted. I had only gotten my jacket and purse on the chair and sat down the first time they asked. They were busy though. BUT it was still very very very good.Special Features:
- Meh....EllDeeDined on 3/25/2014Service lacking personality or engagement. Food was mediocre but nothing to rave about. Filet was cooked right (medium rare) but was so-so and plain, potatoes and rabe were lukewarm at best. Nothing special. Would not run back any time soon. Plenty of other amazing places that are worth spending your money at.
- Restaurant WeekCityGirl150Dined on 3/25/2014restaurant week is a fantastic opportunity to try some fine dining I made a reservation for lunch, and made a special note that we would be celebrating a birthday This is a high end steak house, white linen table cloths, the wait staff was all male, in crisp, clean uniforms We had mussels, Caesar salad, fresh bread basket was complimented with oil & roasted garlic The main course was short ribs for me, fantastic, my guest had a chicken pasta dish that she said was fine but she would not order again When they brought the cannoli, it was served with a "Happy Birthday' message written in a raspberry coulis I had the NY Cheesecake, it was delicious the coffee was 3.75 a cup, so worth it, for a minute I thought I was in Europe I would go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We tried Umbria Prime forFoodieDined on 3/24/2014We tried Umbria Prime for the first time during restaurant week. After reading some of the negitive comments on line we were a bit concerned. Should not have been. The Hostess was very friendly, our server just wonderful and the food could not have been better. We had a great time and will definately be back again.Special Features:
- Poor Service and Mediocre FoodMattyDined on 3/22/2014Went for Boston Restaurant Week Dinner. The service was poor, they did not seem to care that we were there or bother greeting us. Food was just as bad with tiny oysters and a tasteless filet mignon. Cheesecake was the size of a square inch. Overall, disappointing for supposedly classy establishment.
- Always outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/22/2014We have been to Umbria Prime st least a dozen times and it never disappoints. It is our go to place to celebrate birthdays, anniversaries or just a night out. We will certainly be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SteakCmacDined on 3/22/2014I went for the restaurant week menu. The buffalo mozzarella app and cheesecake desert were both delicious. However the entree was very underwhelming. The fillet was big (surprisingly) and was cooked properly but wasn't seasoned properly and wasn't very juice... very bland for a "dry aged" steak. As I was leaving I could see the steaks being pre-cooked in the oven as I saw about 25 steaks just sitting around. The place wasn't that busy and I would have prefered my steak cook to order. The waiter wouldn't switch out my broccoli rabe for anything else even after I told him I didn't like it. Also, we only got about a spoonful of mashed potatoes and for a steak and mashed potatoes kind of guy that is clearly not enough.Special Features:
- Not good for restaurant weekOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/21/2014Went to Umbria with a group of friends for restaurant week, and was not very impressed. The food was fine, however the service was terrible. We had one person in our party of 5 that was a slow eater - they brought out everyone's steaks (including hers) while she was still eating her appetizer. Then they brought out our desserts while 3 people were still eating their main courses. They were obviously trying to rush us out of there. If they didn't want people to come to their restaurant for restaurant week then they should not have participated. I've been to several steakhouses in the Boston area and have never seen such rude service. I will stick to my 2 favorites: Del Frisco's and Morton's in the future.
- Awful experienceDisappointedDined on 3/20/2014This is a steakhouse, so I assumed the steak would be good. Naturally, I ordered the steak off of the restaurant week menu. It came out so charred that the entire outside was crunchy. The inside was perfectly medium, as I ordered it, but I had to spend 5 full min scraping the burnt char off of the entire thing. I really regret not having sent it back (which I've only ever done once before) because it was actually crunchy and not at all worth it. The entire meal was ruined because of how badly it was burnt. I expected quality would suffer a little bit because it's restaurant week, but I ended up paying $40 for the worst steak that I have ever had. The waitress, however, was great! The wine selection was good but they were out of a few.
- A little hard to find but worth itTerrierDinersDined on 3/20/2014This restaurant is a little hard to find the signage could be better. But the food was worth it. We were experimenting with this place as part of Dine out Boston. The steak was excellently prepared a good size and well seasoned. The service was attentive without being annoying. The olive bread is delicious. The only criticism really is that they skimped a little on the sides, there could have been another scoop of mashed potatoes or a little more broccoli rabe but they were well made and is they were going to skimp somewhere for Dine Out Boston it is better on the sides than the protein.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A majority of us got the riblegalduckDined on 3/20/2014A majority of us got the rib and it was absolutely delicious. The other couple of people ordered the salmon and also raved about it. I would recommend this restaurant to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week findOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/19/2014My g/f and I enjoy partaking in Boston's Restaurant Week and love trying new spots. We looked at many different places and found that Umbria had the best menu options for us. We had an early reservation (5:30p I believe) and the restaurant was pretty full, many business people were dining. If you enjoy a goooooood steak for a reasonable price, go here!!Special Features:
- Excellent foodFoodLoverDined on 3/19/2014Food is always outstanding! Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Convenient lunch but not tastysurferkirbyDined on 3/19/2014Good place for business lunch as it is located in the heart of downtown. Went there for restaurant week but apparently their menu wasn't what was stated on the restaurant week website (it was actually more expensive and menu items were different!). They did grant us the price we saw online, but the food itself wasn't as great...dishes came out either too bland or too salty.Special Features:
- Tasteless 35 Days Aged SteakDisappointedDined on 3/18/2014Went here a few days ago for the restaurant week dinner. Was hoping to find a new steak place where I can take my clients during lunch/dinner but probably will not return here again. A few of us ordered the 35 Days Aged Filet Mignon and boy was that a mistake. Medium-rare should be warm red center; firmer. We received Medium instead. Medium should be pink and firm, we received medium-well/well-done. Regardless of how the steak were cooked, there wasn't any seasoning at all. Where's the salt and pepper? A friend have to use Tabasco sauce to finish his steak. Also when you change the prix fix menu, change it on the site also.