2909 Webster St
San Francisco, CA 94123Neighborhood:
Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.umamisf.com/
- Phone: (415) 346-3431
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm; bar open up to 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Sam Josi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate private parties of 18-70 or more depending on your needs. We have a private room, and the added benefit of two floors where either one or both can be utilized for a private function.
- Private Party Contact: Stryker Scales, firstname.lastname@example.org, 4153463431
- Special Events: SUMO HOUR: 50% off all wine and special kitchen menu, 5:30pm - 7pm
A word from Umami
Umami is the new hit restaurant from the Sustainable Restaurants Team (Mamacita). Umami has been developed to highlight great dishes, traditions and drinks from across Asia. While the menu focuses on delicious and true to form Japanese and Vietnamese offerings, you will also find highlights from other countries as well. Umami takes the utmost care in preparation and the ingredients that they use, putting high quality sustainable and organic ingredients and food at the forefront of their offering. Umami has excellent seating for large parties, a private room, bar seating, and great seating for smaller parties as well.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Umami reviews from OpenTable diners
98 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (61)hot spot (55)neighborhood gem (50)vibrant bar scene (39)good for groups (36)special occasion (23)late-night find (13)romantic (13)notable wine list (12)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Great rolls at reasonable priceKennyVIPDined on 11/13/2014Visited last week based upon reviews. We ordered a variety of appetizers and then a number of different sushi rolls using servers recommendations as well as our preferences. All appetizers and rolls were great. Server was knowledgable, friendly and very helpful - knew her menu and was not afraid to help with selections. Overall service was excellent. Only knock was noise level - so loud you practically had to scream to talk to your companions. I would suggest the restaurant have someone help them with acoustics. All is all ... A definite recommend if you like sushi!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay but expensive.TinyDined on 11/11/2014This was an okay spot. The food was a little expensive for what you got. My spicy tuna role did not have much flavor and my beet salad did not come with what they said it would. If you want a trendy spot go here. If you want good sushi find somewhere else.Special Features:
- Solid Japanese/American foodGreatFoodEaterVIPDined on 11/8/2014Food - solid Japanese/American food. Pretty fancy, but not overly expensive. Sushi - fresh, and well thought out and made. A good date spot, or fun group dinner spot.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014Great décor, great service, fantastic food...the 2 of us enjoyed every dish. We ordered one-two items from each section of Sea, Land & Veg., items from the new-style nigiri, plus dessert. It was excellent. We are NOBU lovers, this is equal and very creative. Great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Umami on honeymoonMalloryEatsDined on 10/29/2014Our servicer was really great. We weren't too hungry as we were in town on our honeymoon and spent the whole day eating at various "must have" locations. So we only split a couple of sushi rolls, an appetizer and a salad at Umami. Our server was sweet about it and the sushi was so great. Especially the baja roll!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall great top to bottomLeftToBeDesiredDined on 10/27/2014We came on a quiet Monday night (open Mondays now) and we were seated in the back area with only 3 people. We tried about 5 different rolls and a few appetizers. All outstanding for the most part, but nothing totally face melting. I think the best part for all of us was the dessert. The cookie dough rolls!!!! This might have been the best dessert I've ever had at a restaurant, let alone a sushi place. Shaped and cut like a sushi roll, the cookie dough serves as the outer layer with the ice cream and other assortments on the inside. Simple and magnificent. Seek it out!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodPlanetRVIPDined on 10/24/2014Enjoyed the endamame hummus with flatbread. Sushi was very good. Interesting desert roll was delicious. Tables are close together and the place is quite noisy.
- Great sushi but crazy good slidersmegrecoVIPDined on 10/23/2014Really delicious house rolls, creative and interesting combos. A slider app with Kobe beef that was out of this world. Will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticfuntogoDined on 10/18/2014We were in from out of town from Minneapolis and we loved it so much we came back the next night. YUM. I would absolutely recommend the Spicy Brussels Sprouts. It would be even better if the restaurant wanted to share them with me.Special Features:
- Great FindManieaqVIPDined on 10/11/2014We were visiting SF for just one evening. Umami was the perfect spot. We happened to be early for our 7PM reservation and were able to take advantage of the 1/2 price bottles of wine and the $5 sushi offerings. Amazed at the quality of the food, the prompt - attentive service, and the terrific value. Try it, you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Good sushi, but loudPvbkearmDined on 10/7/2014It was loud and tightly packed in updstairs. hubs raved about the sushi so we would go back but ask to be downstairs.I would recommend this to a friend.
- food to die orgeorgeDined on 10/2/2014Amazing taste and flavour, would keep coming back again and againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sushijbh5079Dined on 9/24/2014Fresh fish, great presentation, amazing Kobe beef sliders, no complaints whatsoeverSpecial Features:
- Great foodTraveller01Dined on 9/14/2014Enjoyable dining experience all round. The Salt n Pepper ribs outstanding. Will recommend Umami highly to friends visitingSan FranciscoSpecial Features:
- Excellent experienceFoodforlifeVIPDined on 9/13/2014Excellent food. Vibrant and energetic restaurant. Great placeSpecial Features:
- Great food, great vibeSAT4DinDined on 9/13/2014I had a group of 6. They sat us in a booth upstairs, which was perfect. The food was amazing, the vibe was great, and the service was really good. Everyone had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/10/2014We were seated next to a group of five men who clearly were drinking their way through each course and who were loud and boisterous. As a result, it was difficult to enjoy any of the dining experience
- jeffVIPDined on 8/27/2014Very disappointing. Food mediocre. Noise overwhelming.Special Features:
- too noisyEcosalDined on 8/21/2014I love the food at Umami and have dined there several times. But this last time was so loud that I could not have a conversation with my colleague. we had to scream at each other over a narrow table. we expressed the concern to the waiter who said, "I cannot hear either". It will probably keep me from going back. Too bad because the food is really good, but not worth it, if you cannot hear your dinner partner speaking.Special Features:
- Not great for a date.TheAnswerIs42Dined on 8/16/2014Perhaps I should have done more homework on picking a place for a date with my wife. The restaurant turned out to be loud. I couldn't hear what my wife was saying from across a small table. The restaurant turned out to be dense with tables. I am not a fan of stacking two-top tables in a row with 6 inches between each table. I am trying to have a conversation with my wife, not the four people next to me. My opinion of the food is mixed. The seared tuna and salad was great. The sushi rolls were not. For example, we ordered the Midori roll but it might as well be called the Avocado roll - lots of avocado and tiny pieces of fish. The concept was good, but the execution was not.
- Delish!suzeyqzDined on 8/16/2014loved it! food and service were spot on. food was fresh, bright and so well prepared. Matthew, our server, was knowledgeable and helped guide us through the menu. I would highly recommend Umami.Special Features:
- TWO WORDS = CRAZY GOOD . . .FoodiesGaloreVIPDined on 8/8/2014THE ORIGINAL UMAMI SLIDERS = Umami-seasoned Masami Ranch Kobe burgers (3 sliders to a plate) with spicy aioli, crispy shallots with gingered pickles on steamed buns ($15) were so Over The Top good, they could serve only that one item and have a line of customers going down the street. The AHI POKE TACO'S (3 to a plate) were melt in your mouth fantastic ($15) * We had 3 "House Rolls" that were extremely fresh (avg. $15) * Note: Classic Rolls averaged $9. The SEA SALT & CARAMEL dessert roll ($9) was a salted caramel ice cream with butterscotch, triple chocolate brownie dough with pistachio toffee & Feur De Sel . . . made to look like a Sushi roll. This was probably the best dessert we've ever had . . . Truly Crazy Good - Go and EnjoySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousCJayDined on 8/2/2014My second time here was just as good as the first. The servers do a great job recommending items if you're unsure or indecisive. Amazing food.Special Features:
- CelebrationveronikaDined on 7/29/2014We came here to celebrate one of my friends birthday. She loved it. We shared a everything, and even though the portions are not too big I had enough. I am vegetarian, but I had no problem to choose from the menu. Great place, friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date SpotCareyDined on 7/26/2014A fun spot for a date; the ribs are fabulous and so are the rolls.Special Features:
- Fantastic service!!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/25/2014We were seated a little later than our reservation, which was not a big deal to us, but the manager came up and offered us an appetizer. Fantastic doting server and the best dessert roll ever!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 697 reviews are from the Umami reviews archive.
- Amazing slidersPHISIGSTEPHDined on 7/21/2014We have been going to Umami for several years now, and on our recent trip we weren't disappointed. As usual, the Kobe sliders were amazing (we ate three orders!) and the tempura fritters were delicious. We also got the edamame hummus, which my sister was particularly excited for since she just found out she's allergic to garbanzo beans (goodbye regular hummus). Due to being pregnant I didn't get to enjoy any of their delicious drinks, but my sister loved her wine (educated guess was the name) my husband loved his beer, and my bro in law raved about his mojito. The sushi was also quite yummy, with real crab in the ca roll. The best part is that everything we ordered was from the sumo hour menu, so it was very reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Awesome as usualNickSFVIPDined on 7/16/2014Umami has long been our fav SF sushi place. Akira-san is an excellent chef and gets excellent product, much straight from Tsukeji market. We tried some new sashimi offerings, the daily special nigiri, and essentially had a custom omekase.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi great scenedanjefferDined on 7/14/2014Pretty good food. Not so sure about the siracha drink, but maybe worth a try from some. Definitely a good date spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Somethng badMonikaDined on 7/7/2014We dont eat bad, it was very nice but the food did not agree with us.Special Features:
- Delicious alonepickiegirlDined on 6/26/2014Food is really good and the service is solid. Great sake list. The noise level is ridiculous, especially downstairs. The bar has a cool vibe to it. Overall not a great place for a first date if you actually want to talk to or hear what the other person is saying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yet another SF FoodieannonDined on 6/25/2014We always love Umami. They have absolutely the best sushi dishes in the city. And you can actually taste the difference between their sushi rolls. So many places you order a variety of rolls and they all taste the same! The staff is wonderful. There was a table of noisy people next to us and we commented to our waiter. He told the manager and they offered to move us to a quieter table. That's service! Try it. You will not be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great overallmfaz88Dined on 6/21/2014I love the rolls here and there is a great ambiance! One of my favorite sushi places in SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool spot, bomb foodeatgoodfoodDined on 6/16/2014I love sushi and this place was excellent. Great rolls, starters & cocktails. Also nice big booths for large parties. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Restaurant!brookilybDined on 6/15/2014We help with a group of 6... food was amazing and the service was quick! Waitor helped us with sushi roll recommendations, and they were all fantastic. We're very excited to go back again soon!Special Features:
- Sustainable seafoodMsFoodieVIPDined on 6/13/2014We love that Umami is doing its best to use sustainable seafood and organic veggies. The happy hour is a super bargain for tasty rolls and half price bottles of wine. The service was excellent and we appreciated being put in the quietest corner ("quiet" is a relative term though, the restaurant is really, really loud). We especially liked the spicy butterfish roll with daikon radish sprouts, and the hamachi rolls. We didn't try the sliders - but we overheard another table raving about them. We'll definitely be going back.Special Features:
- Hidden gemrorok46Dined on 6/7/2014I've been to umami 4 times since my husband discovered this place last March. The food is excellent and consistent. The ambiance is so lively and young. The service always great Nikki is the best waitress ever. I highly recommend this resto one of the best in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!luvthefoodDined on 6/7/2014The food was awesome! I like the fact they have happy hour on Saturdays. The service was excellent! Our waitress was so nice and very attentive. I will go back.Special Features:
- DinnerfoodluverDined on 5/25/2014Overall the best sushi I've ever had. Service was ok. Our waitress seemed to disappear for a long amount of time. The only thing I would suggest is new blinds up stairs. When the sun is coming down the reflection beams off the apartments and straight into you eyes if you are facing the window. I found it distracting and annoying. Other than that I would definitely come here again, but request to not sit by the window during sun down.Special Features:
- AMAZING SUSHI!SMOfoodDined on 5/25/2014This restaurant is outstanding. Best sushi I've ever had! The tuna tataki was served so creatively and was absolutely delicious. The non-sushi selection was also extremely impressive! You can't beat the happy hour prices and selections from 5:30-6:30! I would definitely recommend this restaurant for a special occasion. The cookie dough "sushi rolls" were so adorable and inventive! I've never seen anything like it. Loved the entire experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.