2909 Webster St
San Francisco, CA 94123Neighborhood:
Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.umamisf.com/
- Phone: (415) 346-3431
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm; bar open up to 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Sam Josi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate private parties of 18-70 or more depending on your needs. We have a private room, and the added benefit of two floors where either one or both can be utilized for a private function.
- Private Party Contact: Stryker Scales, email@example.com, 4153463431
- Special Events: SUMO HOUR: 50% off all wine and special kitchen menu, 5:30pm - 7pm
A word from Umami
Umami is the new hit restaurant from the Sustainable Restaurants Team (Mamacita). Umami has been developed to highlight great dishes, traditions and drinks from across Asia. While the menu focuses on delicious and true to form Japanese and Vietnamese offerings, you will also find highlights from other countries as well. Umami takes the utmost care in preparation and the ingredients that they use, putting high quality sustainable and organic ingredients and food at the forefront of their offering. Umami has excellent seating for large parties, a private room, bar seating, and great seating for smaller parties as well.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Umami reviews from OpenTable diners
101 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (65)hot spot (54)neighborhood gem (50)good for groups (40)vibrant bar scene (40)special occasion (24)late-night find (13)romantic (13)notable wine list (12)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Too noisyGeneralVIPDined on 10/4/2013Overpriced. Too loud. The food was below our expectations. We don't recommend this place for dinning.Special Features:
- Food is so fresh, presentationCATBVIPDined on 10/4/2013Food is so fresh, presentation is wonderful, service is right on queue. Best deal is to go during Happy Hours, you will be full and happy for not breaking your bank.Special Features:
- Great SushiAshleyDined on 9/29/2013We really enjoyed the food; the ceviche was good, seaweed salad was not what we expected, but still enjoyable. The sushi was great! We arrived at 6:30pm and there was light noise. We were seated upstairs by the kitchen but it was very nice and although the noise level grew we were still able to hear across the table very easily.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing sushiSfrench2006Dined on 9/27/2013The rolls were definitely the highlight. Wasn't a fan of the ccokie dough roll dessert although the bread pudding was awesome. A slight spin on sliders that I would call interesting. I'd stick to the sushi!Special Features:
- Great food, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/27/2013The only problem is trying to find a parking spot in the neighborhood; next to impossible. Take a cab. The food was great, I got there at happy hour with my daughter and was seated right away even though we waited for my husband to find a parking space for at least 30 minutes. We had some appetizers and drinks, all was very good. Our server even asked if we wanted more before the prices increased as happy hour was over in five minutes. Attentive and pleasant service, tasty asian food, different touches like asian sliders. The vegie tempura was so delicious, as well as the sushi,etc. Would go back again.Special Features:
- Solid Sushi for EntertainingOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/26/2013Upper eschelon of quality sushi in the city, with the right ambiance. Other top places either lack ambiance or are an extremely limited menu tied to fish selections. This offers both the fresh fish selection as well as rolls which appeal to a broader audience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, fun restaurantfoodieSFDined on 9/23/2013I've eaten here three times in the past nine months. I try not to repeat restaurants as there are so many other restaurants I want to try but this is the best. Great drinks - I had the Lychee-san this time. Very good and does not appear to be high in alcohol. Last time I had the Hello Kitty which I also liked. The umami burgers are heaven and I'm not a burger lover. I've ordered these every time. Worth going here for the umami burgers alone. Also had the lime cured halibut and the hotsui plus the salad. I've enjoyed everything I've tried here. I don't think you can go wrong.Special Features:
- First time hereMsFoodieVIPDined on 9/20/2013The decor is very trendy, upscale Japanese which we liked. We wish the hostess had honored our request for the quietest table because the noise level was too high to converse easily. The Seaweed Salad was heavy on the mizuna with not enough seaweed. The mixed vegetable Kakiage tempura was an interesting idea, but a little soggy. The Dojo and Moko Moku rolls were outstanding. Other diners seemed to be enjoying the Kobe beef sliders which is a good option for any meat-eaters in a group. We are delighted they go out of their way to serve sustainable seafood recommended by the Monterey Aquarium seafood watch list . The prices seemed in line with most good SF sushi places and we'd definitely go back to try other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we wentjamesfhallDined on 9/10/2013Great decor. Friendly, knowledgable staff. Highly recommend the Umami Sliders as an appetizer... The cookie dough roll for desert was an excellent way to top of the meal. We arrived at 7:00 and had a nice quiet table. By 8:30, the place was packed and too loud -- I don't like to have to shout to be heard or cup my ear for casual conversation when I'm dining. But people were having a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Contemporary sushi placeYalekVIPDined on 9/8/2013the restaurant is beautifully decorated and tables are perfectly spaced. Each table can keep their conversation even with the background music in the restaurant. Our server is well trained. The star of the night is the fish. Most of them are outstanding. I will definite go back.Special Features:
- Love UmamiOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/2/2013We go here with our 11 and 15 year olds, who love Umami...which says a lot because we live near Japantown. We like the early-bird special, but also come later in the day. Sushi is delicious, and they make some of the best sliders in the City.Special Features:
- Expected MoreAdrianDined on 9/1/2013After a wonderful weekend in San Fransisco, we decided to have our final dinner @ Umami. Unfortunately it didn't quite live up to the reviews - inattentive server, felt like I was in a night club as the noise level was excessive. Nice atmosphere for a large group or to grab drinks, however it was a sub-par experience and I personally wouldn't return given the options in SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1/2 off Wine Bottles Daily!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/1/2013I went here for the first time the other day for happy hour with a friend and overall, we had a great time! Happy Hour is from 5:30-6:30, $5 sushi rolls and discounted appetizers (can't beat that)! Also, every day of the week, wine bottles are half off from 5:30-7:30pm. Totally awesome!Special Features:
- great placesfinDined on 8/26/2013food, service and ambience are superb. have been there many times, and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a great meal at umamimm0817VIPDined on 8/21/2013Between the sizzling tuna starter, the sake sashimi, edamame hummus, the kari kari roll (the list goes on and on), everything is great at umami. It was our 10 year old's choice to have his birthday dinner here and our 3 kids ate 4 orders of potstickers. Waitress was outstanding this particular night as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food Bad ServiceDavidDined on 8/20/2013The food was great, but do not go here if you are looking for good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too many kids around and unfortunatLoveMyFoodVIPDined on 8/19/2013Too many kids around and unfortunately they were out of the wine we wanted and two dishes we wanted, which never happens and we go there a lot. So this visit was a tad disappointing. Food we did get was still delicious, though.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely best sushi ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/17/2013Everything tasted so fresh and delicious - like a party in my mouth!Special Features:
- Good slider, Ok serviceErikaVIPDined on 8/11/2013We were there right before the pahhy hour ends(6:30) so we got some appetizer 1/2 price. The service was OK, becuase drink did not come for a while then a few dishes are already on the table. THe slider was good, sushi was good. Carbonara was heavy. tempra was good.
- Delishious. Burgers great,picklesDined on 8/8/2013Delishious. Burgers great, but they do stick to your teeth. Try the cocktails at the bar - great unusual combos - the one with vodka, lime, jalapeno and I think cucumber is beyond refreshing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Happy Hour in SFOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/7/2013Love the $5.00 sushi rolls and 1/2 off wine until 7 pm!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/1/2013I went here with my 12 year old and he hated it. I enjoyed the lyche martini and inventive rolls, but though the fish quality to be just average. The decor was very cool and it would be a fun place to go with a group of friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- That's it?CleanyourplateVIPDined on 7/28/2013Umami was just fine -- the food was good, not over the top. The menu is small, the sushi offerings a bit limited. And while the quality of the fish was very good, it was hardly exceptional. They also had a tendency to drip ponzu or other sauces on items that would have been better without them. The service was a highlight. I don't understand why there are so many gushing reviews of this place.Special Features:
- Last serving 15min after we arrivedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/27/2013Our reservation was at 10:00pm we had the feeling all the time they were in a hurry to take the order. We ordered and 10 min later they told us the kitchen was closing and if we wanted something else. By 1045 our bill was at the table (we didn't ask for it) and by 11 we were gone. If you are gonna do last serving so early you should let know in advance so we have no expectations of staying for a drink or eaven get to enjoy the place.Special Features:
- AmazingDiMoDined on 7/27/2013This is the 4th time I've been to Umami an ever time has been fantastic. I brought my sister and her husband here this time, they have traveled around the world and eaten sushi at meny of restraunts. They both commented as this being some of the best they have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, good service!CamilleDined on 7/22/2013The sushis were delicious and the umami burgers too. If I have to find something negative, I'll say that it was a pity the starters came after the main course. But it didn't prevent us from enjoying it :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hottest Sushi Spot in San FrannateDined on 7/18/2013Hands down the best sushi spot I have hit it the Bay area. The Sumo special sliders were off the chart, and everything else was delicious.Special Features:
- A Sushi lover's dreamErikaVIPDined on 7/12/2013I've only been to Umami Sushi twice now, but I already love it. The ambiance is trendy with great food and drink options. My friend and I were able to grab a bottle of wine for half off (before 7 pm) at the bar with their Friday special. The rolls were amazing and the service was attentive but not overly so. Will definitely be back in the near future.Special Features:
- great sushi at umamimm0817VIPDined on 7/8/2013had a great dinner as always at umami. the sake sashimi was outstanding. the rolls were great. the kids loved the potstcikers and ramen noodles!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great venue.SushiFanDined on 7/7/2013Came here for dinner on our first night in San Francisco and Umami set the bar high for subsequent dining experiences. Prices were fair, portion sizes were more than adequate and staff were prompt and attentive. Will definitely go again next time we're in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for happy hourOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/5/2013The food here is ok, many better sushi places in the city. They do have a good happy hour, so head there for that.
- Great and Different SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/28/2013The food was very good and everything we tried was fresh and very tasty. Will without a doubt return.Special Features:
- AwesomeBergyDined on 6/26/2013We went at the umami for vacation and we loved so much. We recommend this place for all visitors.Special Features:
- Amazing Service and ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/11/2013My girlfriend and I visited Umami last week and for a Monday night, it was very busy. The food was spectacular. The beef tartare was incredible, as was the Ahi Poke Tacos. I also really enjoyed the spicy shoyu soup. All entrees aside, we ordered the cookie dough roll and green tea sundae as dessert. However, they were actually out of an ingredient for the cookie dough roll and a snafu with the freezer caused the green tea sundae to also be unavailable. So now, the two desserts we ordered were not available, but they brought out not two, or even three desserts, but four dessert samplers on the house! This was then followed up by the chef coming to our table with a fifth dessert to apologize. Some of the best service I have ever received!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE the sushi here. CreativeLoveMyFoodVIPDined on 6/4/2013LOVE the sushi here. Creative and tasty. Servers are prompt and friendly. My only issue is that the tables are way too close together.Special Features:
- Reputation exceeds realitySFAEVIPDined on 5/31/2013This is an ok place. Not as good as Mamacitas. Very loud, food is interesting but not great. Menu is confusing as some of the specials sound the same as the regular menu, but twice the price. Would be nice to have some brown rice offerings. Fun to go to once in a while, but not destined to be a regular neighborhood spot.Special Features:
- One of my favourite restaurantsxoxoDined on 5/30/2013One of my favourite restaurants in the area. Awesome food and pleasant service. Downside - we were there on a Thursday night and it was SO SO noisy. Trying to hold a decent conversation was challenging and we were in a corner.Special Features:
- Go Sumo!BnearCDined on 5/29/2013No question about it - Sumo Hour (5:30 - 6:30) is the bomb! The abridged menu is half off! As well as just about all their very extensive wine list!! We arrived promptly at 5:30 - and they had just the perfect table reserved for us - a corner of the banquette! We grazed through just about every offering on the Sumo Menu, each a delicacy in itself, and each presented with style and flair. Our waitress was incredibly knowledgeable about the menu, and made several suggestions, including our wine choice - 2009 Rocking K Pinot Noir! Everything was SO good, it is hard to pick a "best" - but certainly the Rock n' Roll and Kobe Beef sliders were amazing! The only problem was PARKING - use the Lombard St. garage around the corner.Special Features:
- we love umami!sffoodieVIPDined on 5/27/2013we love umami and have been going there since it's opening. we are in the neighborhood and this is our favorite japanese restaurant. we appreciate their unique menu, which often includes seasonal items. fresh, delicious, creative - love! we have also brought our child there for early dinner, and she absolutely loves the chicken on the kids menu - healthy, tasty options. bravo!Special Features:
- Underwhelmed by service...OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/25/2013Food is actually quite good...but maybe that is because we were all starving since the wait was extraordinarliy long!!