2909 Webster St
San Francisco, CA 94123Neighborhood:
Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.umamisf.com/
- Phone: (415) 346-3431
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm; bar open up to 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Sam Josi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate private parties of 18-70 or more depending on your needs. We have a private room, and the added benefit of two floors where either one or both can be utilized for a private function.
- Private Party Contact: Stryker Scales, email@example.com, 4153463431
- Special Events: SUMO HOUR: 50% off all wine and special kitchen menu, 5:30pm - 7pm
A word from Umami
Umami is the new hit restaurant from the Sustainable Restaurants Team (Mamacita). Umami has been developed to highlight great dishes, traditions and drinks from across Asia. While the menu focuses on delicious and true to form Japanese and Vietnamese offerings, you will also find highlights from other countries as well. Umami takes the utmost care in preparation and the ingredients that they use, putting high quality sustainable and organic ingredients and food at the forefront of their offering. Umami has excellent seating for large parties, a private room, bar seating, and great seating for smaller parties as well.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Umami reviews from OpenTable diners
99 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (64)hot spot (52)neighborhood gem (51)vibrant bar scene (41)good for groups (40)special occasion (23)late-night find (13)romantic (13)notable wine list (12)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- AMAZING SUSHI!SMOfoodDined on 5/25/2014This restaurant is outstanding. Best sushi I've ever had! The tuna tataki was served so creatively and was absolutely delicious. The non-sushi selection was also extremely impressive! You can't beat the happy hour prices and selections from 5:30-6:30! I would definitely recommend this restaurant for a special occasion. The cookie dough "sushi rolls" were so adorable and inventive! I've never seen anything like it. Loved the entire experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All I can say is WoW!sterlinghawkDined on 5/22/2014My daughter recommended this and we went to this. Had the sliders and they were so good, ordered another order. Co-worker had the same and the other co-worker had ribs.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/20/2014We made a reservation on open table at 9 P.M. for a group of 6 at 9:15 P.M. after an event in the neighborhood. Our table was ready on time and service was great. Waitress made sure we got all our orders in before the kitchen closed and we had a great late dinner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014Came here upon a recommendation. Had a fantastic dinner. Excellent sushi. Wonderful service. Will definitely go again.Special Features:
- unpleasant experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/5/2014The food was pretty good, the service was abysmal. They tried to give our check several times, without asking if we wanted anything else. We had to ask several times for the desert menu, a spoon, another drink, etc. Wont be going back.
- Good sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/26/2014Excellent menu for sushi - many different kinds, very innovative, very very fresh.
- Delicious sushi!janers310Dined on 4/25/2014Umami offers unique sushi options and is considerate of food allergies.Special Features:
- DissapointingOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/17/2014I used to love this restaurant. Especially the Black Cod and the staff. This time I found the hostess to be snippy. The waiter was OK, but spent much of his time flirting with guests, rather than paying attention to customers. I was surprised to see the change to the menu, and even more surprised to see Black Cod was off the menu. We were told that it took too long to make. Apparently the 20 minutes that it used to take was too long. Now the menu is filled with rolls. They taste like they were pre-made in order to save time. This has sadly become a very atmospheric pick up bar. A shame because it used to have great food.
- ok sushiRobotVIPDined on 4/14/2014umami is more about experimental stuff than high quality fish. i'm about the fish. it was ok. also, they have a gluten-free menu, and i have celiac, but there was a lot of confusion about what came out of the kitchen. i totally don't trust them to be gluten-free for celiac.
- Delicious, hip twist on JapaneseFoodLoverWith3KidsDined on 3/24/2014Loved the polished slices of trees that table tops werre fashioned out of on main floor, and the way the 2nd floor used large tree trunks and wooden planks with rice paper to give the feel of a country house in Japan....dishes were inventive, beautifully ptesented and chock full of flavor. We loved the salt n pepper ribs, and seaweed kale salad. Liked the kids menu and crayons with illustrations of Japanese culture. Smores dessert a disappointment as the flavors didn't quite work together (even tho we still ate it all!), creme brulee had interestg citrus twist to it, but caramel apple bread pudding was da bomb....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I judge sushi places basedhmehrVIPDined on 3/20/2014I judge sushi places based on the quality of sashimi and Umami was quite avg. Some creative dishes (like the the slider) and nice decor.Special Features:
- Rock n rollsLiliDined on 3/8/2014This place never disappoints. The wakame and buttercup roll are to die for. I've never ordered anything and not liked it. The Kobe sliders are perfectly cooked and seasoned. The rock shrimp are a nice indulgence. It's such a great place for groups and sharing or just a nice evening with your date or friend. Fun young crowds well. Fun cocktails too:)Special Features:
- Slide in for some slidersjasonHHHDined on 3/4/2014Place was cool. The sliders were AMAZING. Nigiri was good, sashimi was okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sushi!sushiloverDined on 3/2/2014Great Sushi! Very good service. Ask for the butterfish roll.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sushiengineertwin2Dined on 2/19/2014It was a bit of a walk from our hotel (Fairmont SF), but it was well worth the effort. Although the pricing of the sushi was a little high for what I am accustomed to ($8-$15 per roll and fewer slices per roll), it was some of the better sushi I've ever had. The fish was fresh - and creative (I don't get to eat butterfish as sushi here in Phoenix). The neighborhood is fantastically fun and we found the architecture extremely interesting. Overall, this one will make the 'must do' list for future visits to SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hip JapaneseHappyguyVIPDined on 2/18/2014Great Japanese food in cow hollow with a fun bar scene and ambienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food - Not A Quiet PlaceBallplayersdVIPDined on 2/16/2014Although at 49 I was easily the oldest person in the restaurant it was easily a 5 star dinner. Great sushi...loved the sliders, crab carbonara, teriyaki chicken as well. Service was attentive. Noise was at times so loud you couldn't talk...but the food made up for it.Special Features:
- Sugar heavenMGalVIPDined on 2/11/2014I loved the sliders and sushi rolls but nothing could prepare me for the dessert that was yet to come. The cookie dough roll was the best thing. Ever! Highly recommend people go just to try that, if anything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good sushi!cillaDined on 2/11/2014Came here and really enjoyed the happy hour. service was pretty good. seems like it'd be awesome to bring a group of friends here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi sushi sushiDiMoDined on 2/7/2014Found this place about a year back and all I can say it it's the best sushi in the city. I have taken numerous foodies here and every time the come back to the city this is the place they want to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best happy hour in sfsfdinerDined on 2/4/2014amazing rolls, sliders and wine at a great happy hour price!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- over orderedMickyVIPDined on 2/3/2014Good food but it was sushi. Wine list severly lacking. Server pushed too much food on us even though we asked repeatledly if we were ording too much. Didn't need the extra 2 rolls. Bill was $200 (with tip) for 2 with a $46 bottle of wine. Pricey for a neighborhood sushi joint.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Hour Sushi!ndandreaDined on 1/22/2014My friends and I love to go here for Happy Hour - indulge a few bottles of wine and way too much Sushi!! Great go to spot!Special Features:
- All around gemSushiFanDined on 1/20/2014From the festive sake inspired cocktails to the clever desserts, this sushi has gone above and beyond your traditional roll. Had a hellokittty cocktail that tasted like fresh cucumber and strawberries, extremely refreshing. Had the edamame hummus- spectacular. Basic sushi rolls were so fresh tasted like fish caught just for our arrival. Dessert had the cookie dough roll with clever ginger candies and green tea frosting made to look like wasabi on a traditional plate. Only draw back, place was really loud. Definitely would re visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new favorite spot!Alika1982Dined on 1/18/2014Sumo hour offered some tasty rolls and apps at great prices and we complimented the meal with a bottle of Rombauer chard for only $35 since wine was half off. We also enjoyed the steak tar tar and Midori roll on the normal menu. Deeeee-lish. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was very surprised .. theOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 1/13/2014Was very surprised .. the best sushi I've had in a long time.. I'm still thinking about the pasta with uni butter and the sliders. Will be back VERY soon..Special Features:
- Group dinemptyDined on 1/9/2014We were a group of 8 with varied dining needs, but all adventurous. Umami was very busy and quite loud on the evening we dined, but we were seated upstairs in a round booth that fit us well. The specialty cocktails were fun and good. Our server was excellent. We had her order for us mixing up raw and cooked items so we could all taste many different dishes. She did a great job with the flavors, variety and timing. I will definitely recommend Umami to my friends when traveling to SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Accommodated our big partyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/30/2013Umami was great at accommodating our big party. The service was really fantastic. Food was good, but didn't blow me away. Had a really fun night out at Umami.I would recommend this to a friend.
- West Meets Far EastSimonsanDined on 12/29/2013Excellent Japanese cuisine with some local spiced up dishes. Liked the Kale dish very much!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greay SushiLuciaVIPDined on 12/27/2013It never dissapoints, one of the best Sushi spots in the city the happy hour has great prices the Hotsui roll is amazingSpecial Features:
- Cool placepsutowoDined on 12/26/2013Very good food. The restaurant is noisy though. The kobe sliders and the steamed bun bread pudding are the gighlight of the menu. The fresh sushi also gets honorable mentions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodSmileVIPDined on 11/27/2013We love the tuna tataki and the shogun. So happy that they have our favorite Japanese beer, Echigo. The service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good serviceoadldoDined on 11/15/2013I love coming here for happy hour. The food and service were great! We had more people than our reservation originally said and they accomidated us no problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sliders Are to Die For!camilleleonDined on 11/8/2013It is so loud here you end up screaming at each other and it's annoying. But to make up for it, they have the most delicious Steam Bun Kobe Sliders and Ramen. I would eat those two items definitely again. I wasn't impressed with the sushi or the tapioca creme brulee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very accommodating and DELISH SUSHIOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/3/2013Thank you for accommodating us on a Sunday night. We came in with my dad who can't hear at loud places and you made room for us in the side booth, which was perfect! We ate only raw fish, and it was incredible. The waiter was very helpful and gave great advice on the meal as well as the sake accompaniment. A perfect dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible sushiHansDined on 11/1/2013All of the fish was so buttery soft and would melt in your mouth. Fantastic! And get the dessert rollSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- December 2013OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/23/2013The menu is looking tired and needs a refresh. The food quality has really dropped in the last two months and the flavors/taste have gone flat, but also everything is OVER salted now too. Maybe give the menu a spring refresh?Special Features:
- Sit at the sushi bar greatFoodieVIPDined on 10/10/2013Sit at the sushi bar great entertainment ,wonderfully fresh seafood absolutely delicious. Vibrant scene lots of conversations and laughter.Special Features:
- Beutiful food great serviceKirmarshDined on 10/10/2013We had a lovely meal here, all excellent. I was very impressed with kids menu, a lot of places just feed kids rubbish not here excellent food well prepared, very impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Came for Happy HourJaclynVIPDined on 10/7/2013Came for the happy hour menu which i recently learned about. 1/2 off bottles of vino. And many $5 sushi rolls, and half off apps to choose from. Would definitely come bacK!Special Features: