2909 Webster St
San Francisco, CA 94123Neighborhood:
Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.umamisf.com/
- Phone: 4153463431
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm; bar open up to 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Sam Josi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate private parties of 18-70 or more depending on your needs. We have a private room, and the added benefit of two floors where either one or both can be utilized for a private function.
- Private Party Contact: Stryker Scales, email@example.com, 4153463431
- Special Events: SUMO HOUR: 50% off all wine and special kitchen menu, 5:30pm - 7pm
A word from Umami
Umami is the new hit restaurant from the Sustainable Restaurants Team (Mamacita). Umami has been developed to highlight great dishes, traditions and drinks from across Asia. While the menu focuses on delicious and true to form Japanese and Vietnamese offerings, you will also find highlights from other countries as well. Umami takes the utmost care in preparation and the ingredients that they use, putting high quality sustainable and organic ingredients and food at the forefront of their offering. Umami has excellent seating for large parties, a private room, bar seating, and great seating for smaller parties as well.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Umami reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (41)hot spot (36)good for groups (35)special occasion (34)neighborhood gem (33)vibrant bar scene (29)romantic (18)notable wine list (8)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (2)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Not great for a date.TheAnswerIs42Dined on 8/16/2014Perhaps I should have done more homework on picking a place for a date with my wife. The restaurant turned out to be loud. I couldn't hear what my wife was saying from across a small table. The restaurant turned out to be dense with tables. I am not a fan of stacking two-top tables in a row with 6 inches between each table. I am trying to have a conversation with my wife, not the four people next to me. My opinion of the food is mixed. The seared tuna and salad was great. The sushi rolls were not. For example, we ordered the Midori roll but it might as well be called the Avocado roll - lots of avocado and tiny pieces of fish. The concept was good, but the execution was not.
- Delish!suzeyqzDined on 8/16/2014loved it! food and service were spot on. food was fresh, bright and so well prepared. Matthew, our server, was knowledgeable and helped guide us through the menu. I would highly recommend Umami.Special Features:
- TWO WORDS = CRAZY GOOD . . .FoodiesGaloreVIPDined on 8/8/2014THE ORIGINAL UMAMI SLIDERS = Umami-seasoned Masami Ranch Kobe burgers (3 sliders to a plate) with spicy aioli, crispy shallots with gingered pickles on steamed buns ($15) were so Over The Top good, they could serve only that one item and have a line of customers going down the street. The AHI POKE TACO'S (3 to a plate) were melt in your mouth fantastic ($15) * We had 3 "House Rolls" that were extremely fresh (avg. $15) * Note: Classic Rolls averaged $9. The SEA SALT & CARAMEL dessert roll ($9) was a salted caramel ice cream with butterscotch, triple chocolate brownie dough with pistachio toffee & Feur De Sel . . . made to look like a Sushi roll. This was probably the best dessert we've ever had . . . Truly Crazy Good - Go and EnjoySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousCJayDined on 8/2/2014My second time here was just as good as the first. The servers do a great job recommending items if you're unsure or indecisive. Amazing food.Special Features:
- CelebrationveronikaDined on 7/29/2014We came here to celebrate one of my friends birthday. She loved it. We shared a everything, and even though the portions are not too big I had enough. I am vegetarian, but I had no problem to choose from the menu. Great place, friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date SpotCareyDined on 7/26/2014A fun spot for a date; the ribs are fabulous and so are the rolls.Special Features:
- Fantastic service!!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/25/2014We were seated a little later than our reservation, which was not a big deal to us, but the manager came up and offered us an appetizer. Fantastic doting server and the best dessert roll ever!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing slidersPHISIGSTEPHDined on 7/21/2014We have been going to Umami for several years now, and on our recent trip we weren't disappointed. As usual, the Kobe sliders were amazing (we ate three orders!) and the tempura fritters were delicious. We also got the edamame hummus, which my sister was particularly excited for since she just found out she's allergic to garbanzo beans (goodbye regular hummus). Due to being pregnant I didn't get to enjoy any of their delicious drinks, but my sister loved her wine (educated guess was the name) my husband loved his beer, and my bro in law raved about his mojito. The sushi was also quite yummy, with real crab in the ca roll. The best part is that everything we ordered was from the sumo hour menu, so it was very reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Awesome as usualNickSFVIPDined on 7/16/2014Umami has long been our fav SF sushi place. Akira-san is an excellent chef and gets excellent product, much straight from Tsukeji market. We tried some new sashimi offerings, the daily special nigiri, and essentially had a custom omekase.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi great scenedanjefferDined on 7/14/2014Pretty good food. Not so sure about the siracha drink, but maybe worth a try from some. Definitely a good date spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Somethng badMonikaDined on 7/7/2014We dont eat bad, it was very nice but the food did not agree with us.Special Features:
- Delicious alonepickiegirlDined on 6/26/2014Food is really good and the service is solid. Great sake list. The noise level is ridiculous, especially downstairs. The bar has a cool vibe to it. Overall not a great place for a first date if you actually want to talk to or hear what the other person is saying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yet another SF FoodieannonDined on 6/25/2014We always love Umami. They have absolutely the best sushi dishes in the city. And you can actually taste the difference between their sushi rolls. So many places you order a variety of rolls and they all taste the same! The staff is wonderful. There was a table of noisy people next to us and we commented to our waiter. He told the manager and they offered to move us to a quieter table. That's service! Try it. You will not be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great overallmfaz88Dined on 6/21/2014I love the rolls here and there is a great ambiance! One of my favorite sushi places in SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool spot, bomb foodeatgoodfoodDined on 6/16/2014I love sushi and this place was excellent. Great rolls, starters & cocktails. Also nice big booths for large parties. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Restaurant!brookilybDined on 6/15/2014We help with a group of 6... food was amazing and the service was quick! Waitor helped us with sushi roll recommendations, and they were all fantastic. We're very excited to go back again soon!Special Features:
- Sustainable seafoodMsFoodieVIPDined on 6/13/2014We love that Umami is doing its best to use sustainable seafood and organic veggies. The happy hour is a super bargain for tasty rolls and half price bottles of wine. The service was excellent and we appreciated being put in the quietest corner ("quiet" is a relative term though, the restaurant is really, really loud). We especially liked the spicy butterfish roll with daikon radish sprouts, and the hamachi rolls. We didn't try the sliders - but we overheard another table raving about them. We'll definitely be going back.Special Features:
- Hidden gemrorok46Dined on 6/7/2014I've been to umami 4 times since my husband discovered this place last March. The food is excellent and consistent. The ambiance is so lively and young. The service always great Nikki is the best waitress ever. I highly recommend this resto one of the best in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!luvthefoodDined on 6/7/2014The food was awesome! I like the fact they have happy hour on Saturdays. The service was excellent! Our waitress was so nice and very attentive. I will go back.Special Features:
- DinnerfoodluverDined on 5/25/2014Overall the best sushi I've ever had. Service was ok. Our waitress seemed to disappear for a long amount of time. The only thing I would suggest is new blinds up stairs. When the sun is coming down the reflection beams off the apartments and straight into you eyes if you are facing the window. I found it distracting and annoying. Other than that I would definitely come here again, but request to not sit by the window during sun down.Special Features:
- AMAZING SUSHI!SMOfoodDined on 5/25/2014This restaurant is outstanding. Best sushi I've ever had! The tuna tataki was served so creatively and was absolutely delicious. The non-sushi selection was also extremely impressive! You can't beat the happy hour prices and selections from 5:30-6:30! I would definitely recommend this restaurant for a special occasion. The cookie dough "sushi rolls" were so adorable and inventive! I've never seen anything like it. Loved the entire experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All I can say is WoW!sterlinghawkDined on 5/22/2014My daughter recommended this and we went to this. Had the sliders and they were so good, ordered another order. Co-worker had the same and the other co-worker had ribs.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/20/2014We made a reservation on open table at 9 P.M. for a group of 6 at 9:15 P.M. after an event in the neighborhood. Our table was ready on time and service was great. Waitress made sure we got all our orders in before the kitchen closed and we had a great late dinner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014Came here upon a recommendation. Had a fantastic dinner. Excellent sushi. Wonderful service. Will definitely go again.Special Features:
- unpleasant experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/5/2014The food was pretty good, the service was abysmal. They tried to give our check several times, without asking if we wanted anything else. We had to ask several times for the desert menu, a spoon, another drink, etc. Wont be going back.
- Good sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/26/2014Excellent menu for sushi - many different kinds, very innovative, very very fresh.
- Delicious sushi!janers310Dined on 4/25/2014Umami offers unique sushi options and is considerate of food allergies.Special Features:
- The following 676 reviews are from the Umami reviews archive.
- DissapointingOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/17/2014I used to love this restaurant. Especially the Black Cod and the staff. This time I found the hostess to be snippy. The waiter was OK, but spent much of his time flirting with guests, rather than paying attention to customers. I was surprised to see the change to the menu, and even more surprised to see Black Cod was off the menu. We were told that it took too long to make. Apparently the 20 minutes that it used to take was too long. Now the menu is filled with rolls. They taste like they were pre-made in order to save time. This has sadly become a very atmospheric pick up bar. A shame because it used to have great food.
- ok sushiRobotVIPDined on 4/14/2014umami is more about experimental stuff than high quality fish. i'm about the fish. it was ok. also, they have a gluten-free menu, and i have celiac, but there was a lot of confusion about what came out of the kitchen. i totally don't trust them to be gluten-free for celiac.
- Delicious, hip twist on JapaneseFoodLoverWith3KidsDined on 3/24/2014Loved the polished slices of trees that table tops werre fashioned out of on main floor, and the way the 2nd floor used large tree trunks and wooden planks with rice paper to give the feel of a country house in Japan....dishes were inventive, beautifully ptesented and chock full of flavor. We loved the salt n pepper ribs, and seaweed kale salad. Liked the kids menu and crayons with illustrations of Japanese culture. Smores dessert a disappointment as the flavors didn't quite work together (even tho we still ate it all!), creme brulee had interestg citrus twist to it, but caramel apple bread pudding was da bomb....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I judge sushi places basedhmehrVIPDined on 3/20/2014I judge sushi places based on the quality of sashimi and Umami was quite avg. Some creative dishes (like the the slider) and nice decor.Special Features:
- Rock n rollsLiliDined on 3/8/2014This place never disappoints. The wakame and buttercup roll are to die for. I've never ordered anything and not liked it. The Kobe sliders are perfectly cooked and seasoned. The rock shrimp are a nice indulgence. It's such a great place for groups and sharing or just a nice evening with your date or friend. Fun young crowds well. Fun cocktails too:)Special Features:
- Slide in for some slidersjasonHHHDined on 3/4/2014Place was cool. The sliders were AMAZING. Nigiri was good, sashimi was okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sushi!sushiloverDined on 3/2/2014Great Sushi! Very good service. Ask for the butterfish roll.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sushiengineertwin2Dined on 2/19/2014It was a bit of a walk from our hotel (Fairmont SF), but it was well worth the effort. Although the pricing of the sushi was a little high for what I am accustomed to ($8-$15 per roll and fewer slices per roll), it was some of the better sushi I've ever had. The fish was fresh - and creative (I don't get to eat butterfish as sushi here in Phoenix). The neighborhood is fantastically fun and we found the architecture extremely interesting. Overall, this one will make the 'must do' list for future visits to SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hip JapaneseHappyguyVIPDined on 2/18/2014Great Japanese food in cow hollow with a fun bar scene and ambienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food - Not A Quiet PlaceBallplayersdDined on 2/16/2014Although at 49 I was easily the oldest person in the restaurant it was easily a 5 star dinner. Great sushi...loved the sliders, crab carbonara, teriyaki chicken as well. Service was attentive. Noise was at times so loud you couldn't talk...but the food made up for it.Special Features:
- Sugar heavenMGalDined on 2/11/2014I loved the sliders and sushi rolls but nothing could prepare me for the dessert that was yet to come. The cookie dough roll was the best thing. Ever! Highly recommend people go just to try that, if anything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good sushi!cillaDined on 2/11/2014Came here and really enjoyed the happy hour. service was pretty good. seems like it'd be awesome to bring a group of friends here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi sushi sushiDiMoDined on 2/7/2014Found this place about a year back and all I can say it it's the best sushi in the city. I have taken numerous foodies here and every time the come back to the city this is the place they want to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.