Umami Moto Milwaukee
718 Milwaukee Street
Milwaukee, WI 53202Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Umami Moto Milwaukee
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.umamimoto.com/
- Phone: 4147279333x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Wednesday 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday 4:00pm - 9:00pm; Closed Mondays
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood, Asian
- Executive Chef: Sushi Chef Israel Cruz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Private party options available
- Private Party Contact: Hayley Parmentier 4147279333x
A word from Umami Moto Milwaukee
Umami Moto embodies Far East elegance infused with modern French nuances that exemplify the best of western world culture. Its name is derived from a Japanese word meaning “savory,” which is precisely what diners can expect at Umami Moto: delectable Asian fusion cuisine destined to deliver satisfaction with every dish. With the addition of Umami’s newly renovated sushi bar, Sushi Chef Israel Cruz has hand crafted a selection unparalleled in the city of Milwaukee. Chef Cruz uses fresh ingredients and an eclectic styling to offer Umami Signature Sushi Plates, a segment of the menu that showcases composed fresh and raw seafood combinations. Umami Moto also offers Main Flavors, a collection of entrees reflecting past Miso Cod and Salmon specialties and new non-seafood options.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Umami Moto Milwaukee - Best Restaurants in Milwaukee ›
Umami Moto Milwaukee reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (25)fit for foodies (22)romantic (12)hot spot (10)good for groups (8)neighborhood gem (8)vibrant bar scene (7)scenic view (4)late-night find (3)notable wine list (3)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014On a Saturday night, not surprised the place was almost empty especially with the poor service received. Taking our order took 15 minutes, and almost 45 minutes for the appetizers to come out. Sorry, won't be back.
- Very DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Very hot in the restaurant. The air was turned on but the windows were open and it was a very humid night.We had a table below one of the vents which leaked onto our table. When we questioned the waitress her response was "yea it does that" with no thought to move us to a different area. I'm sorry but who wants the vent to be leaking on their sushi the whole night? Then the food was brought out sporadically. Some people would get theirs and some would be waiting a long time. So we all ate at different times. Drinks were made incorrectly and when "fixed" still incorrect. Waitress had an attitude and was heard complaining to the hostess about our table by one of my guests. We had a larger party and this place could not accomodate.Special Features:
- Suburb LivingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014This was our first time to this location. The restaurant was laid out very nice with the windows open to the street. At first we were worried that it was going to be to muggy inside but they had the air on which was nice. So we were cool while being able to view outside. We liked the sushi. A bit limited on the selections but it was good. The Kung Pao chicken was only so so. The chicken seems a bit soggy and the flavor was like something out of the freezer. Would choose something else next time. The wait staff was excellent! Very helpful and attentiveSpecial Features:
- Wonderful night!BirthdaygirlDined on 8/16/2014We celebrated a birthday at this restaurant. From the service to the food to the special greeting on the menu, it was a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for sharing!PatsyDined on 7/25/2014The food was fabulous and they offered the types of food great for sampling and sharing. I will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014Amazing food and service. A bit on the spicy side. Fantastic wait staff. And, over all.... Great!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimeBoogieDined on 7/23/2014The food was excellent as was the service. We would definitely go again. The room was very live and loud making conversation difficult.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than sushiJahensonDined on 7/22/2014Great sushi, but the hot dishes and small plates are great as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- patrick13Dined on 7/18/2014Great food and service. We had two servers(one in training) They were friendly knowledgeable and fun.Food was spot on and I would combine the trip with a cocktail from Distill next door.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014Very delicious food.....and lots of choices on the menu!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceRQGQDined on 7/11/2014Great atmosphere and service. Food was excellent! Rock shrimp app and lobster potstickers were wonderful. Service was attentive as well. Great job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit or missAndyVIPDined on 7/7/2014Good: craft cocktails, spicy crab roll, lobster potstickers, chocolate-peanut butter-caramel dessert. Bad: spicy shrimp roll (flavorless), lobster bisque (beyond salty), grilled salmon (salty again), Korean ribs (tough n chewy), house Pinot Grigio (ran out of it mysteriously after it was recommended to us and we ordered a bottle, waiter brought an alternate brand to the table but at a higher price).Special Features:
- Great spot!WaterfrontguyDined on 7/5/2014Food and atmosphere were outstanding! Sushi was awesome, service terrific and Kung Pao was the best ever. Great spot for special times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service. Great food.eldernosDined on 7/5/2014Our server, Rachel was fantastic. The overall staff quality cannot be overstated. The food is very good and promptly delivered. For all that, the price is not that high. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another great nightLuv2eatDined on 6/20/2014The quality of the sashimi is wonderful. There is something on the menu for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentSushiyumDined on 6/14/2014Great food choices, our server was very knowledgable of the menu, the sushi was awesome, great location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in downtown MilwaukeeSanFranVisitorVIPDined on 6/13/2014We wanted Asian/sushi food and this place had a good rating. The food was delicious and fresh, and our server, Michael, was very knowledgable and helpful with explaining the menu. The wines we tried were very reasonably priced and very good, too, and I'm a wine snob. The atmosphere is modern, yet comfortable. Next time we're in Milwaukee, we'll be back!Special Features:
- DisappointingHonestFoodDined on 6/6/2014It took an hour to get our order taken once we were seated. The quality of the food was mediocre. The vegetable tempura was the worst I have ever had. The server who brought the tempuras to the table did not know what the dish was so one couple did not recognize the dish as theirs and it was sent back mistakenly. The rolls and tuna pearl were very good. The lettuce wraps had the most amazing lettuce ever -- the lettuce was simply divine and perfect but the food to stuff them with tasted like chicken fajitas -- not good. The salmon was very tasty but the presentation on the plate was horrible -- it was sliding all over the plate as it was being served, almost fell off the plate -- very bland looking -- no color whatsoever.
- Amazing special occasion placeBestInMkeDined on 5/24/2014My fiancée and I love sushi, and this is our favorite place to go! We went there for dinner and it was the best meal we have had in a very long time (minus the sea urchin). It was also a special occasion for us, as I was proposing to my girlfriend there. I had called ahead and Hayley (GM I believe) was amazing in helping me put it together. Everyone was extremely nice, friendly and helpful. The service was great and our servers were very knowledgeable and courteous. It was the perfect night and went so smoothly and the staff made it special for the both of us. Highly recommend this place to anyone for special occasions or just a night on the town. We are so grateful to everyone at Umami Moto. Oh yeah she did say yes! :)Special Features:
- The following 490 reviews are from the Umami Moto Milwaukee reviews archive.
- What a Find!RickandLeaVIPDined on 5/21/2014Everything was amazing... We'll go out of our way to come back here often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decidedly disappointingkcatDined on 5/17/2014Having been here once before, a year ago, and thinking it was probably the best sushi in MKE (and who knows, maybe it is) it was really disappointing to return and find it not only not-good, but also just... pathetic. The largest disappointment was the super white roll which was completely deep fried but was not described that way on the menu. We thought we had ordered the wrong item. In addition the service we polite but lacking in attentiveness and our other courses were of grocery store quality. Our waiter did take the fried monstrosity off the bill which was appreciated. But all in all our search for a great WI sushi spot continues...Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerCaptainKirkVIPDined on 5/17/2014We celebrated our daughter's 18th birthday here. Our first time visit here made this restaurant an instant new favorite! The passion fruit dessert topped off a perfect evening here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd time is phenomenal again!TPW1970Dined on 5/17/20141st time we got invited here last minute, as we were in town for a show, the entire experience was phenomenal. Food, service, ambience, was completely outstanding.we planned another visit to confirm our experience wasn't a fluke. I was more impressed the second time around than the first! We shared the sliders/ best sliders we have ever eaten! The italian cheese & tomato spread =outstanding. We also shared the rock shrimp=amazing, being from Louisiana, just enough kick to make me miss my home state cooking! Then she had beef and broccoli,she is a little picky/ she now has a new favorite meal! I had a dragon roll,& spicy tuna roll,=both rivaled any rolls from Rm Seafood, Mizuya, or Nobu in Vegas, or any restaurants in California, ANYWHERE!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average SushiSabytogeDined on 5/10/2014I have only tried the sushi here, so that's the only thing I can review. They sushi here is ok.. the service was good though and the waitstaff is very friendly. Nice ambiance. Sushi could be better.
- Food is Mediocre at BestNG1981Dined on 4/26/2014Was really excited to Umami Moto's sushi. It looked like a great restaurant. Unfortunately, the sushi rolls were at best poor. I mean the rolls are no better than something you would get a grocery store. The rolls were not rolled tightly and fell apart quite easily. And most importantly, the rolls lacked flavor. It was as though you were eating some flavorless concoction. I will not be back.
- Love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/25/2014The wait staff is attentive and helpful, the food is fabulous. I have nothing but good things to say about Umami Moto.Special Features:
- Great foodLisaraeVIPDined on 4/12/2014The kids love sushi and with the varied menu, there is something for everyone. I always have a great meal at Umati Moto.Special Features:
- Very interesting interpretationsBurnmanDined on 4/1/2014Very interesting interpretations on each dish both in presentation and taste combinations. Food quality was excellent as was the attentive service. Very quiet place to meeting and discuss business. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Visit Excellencediningout4funDined on 3/29/2014We decided to sample the Asian Fusion of Umami Moto. Our server was Tatiana & we were truly lucky to have her. Her recommendations made your mouth water. Her descriptions of each food item showed that she had a clear command of the menu. The lobster potstickers were flavorful & the lobster was cooked perfectly. The Signature Rolls were the stars of the evening. The Crispy Shrimp Roll had great texture & a sweet finish. The Avocado Shrimp Roll was quite the treat with the avocado being the outermost layer, it was truly unique. The hit of the evening was the Dragon Roll which Tatiana highly recommended. I was very skeptical & cringed when she said that it contained cooked eel. Despite my apprehension, we gave it a try, it did not disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Divine sushiAl0518Dined on 3/22/2014This place still has the trendy eve vibe while serving delicious sushi. A great place to dine for any occasion. Can't wait to go back. I made reservations online but wanted an earlier time ( online availability was only for 945 or later). They were very accommodating and got us a great table right at the time we were looking for so we could still make the show at the comedy club. Prices were surprisingly reasonable for a trendy sushi place in the heart of downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingWisconsinjrDined on 3/1/2014Great visit ... Wouldn't change a thing ...lobster pot stickers and beef sliders for apps, spicy crab roll and shrimp roll for dinner, dreamsicle for dessert. Wife enjoyed the dragon roll for dinner and chocolate peanut for dessert. Server was friendly and happy to share his recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing sushi!foodluver86Dined on 2/28/2014Service at the resturant was outstanding! The decor is just beautiful and very modern! Booked through opentable from the online website and requested a seat near the window...we got a great seat exactly what was requested! Smoked salmon and eel rolls were very tasty and delicious as well as the small plates! Excellent flavors and seasoning in all the food we tasted. Would def recommend anybody to try this out whether it be a date or group birthday, etc. Overall oustanding experiance!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attention to detail, great!JillGDined on 2/28/2014This was our first time eating at this restaurant. The restaurant was clean, and had a modern and sophisticated feel about it. The food presentation was very well done and the taste was just as good. We ordered soup, a few small plates and a few signature sushi plates. Delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good sushiGabeDined on 2/28/2014Good food, good price, good atmosphere. That should sum it up!Special Features:
- Amazing as always.NdalzellDined on 2/24/2014Everything was delicious. Started off with the Spicy Crab roll, ended up ordering a few more rolls as well and they were all incredible. Highly recommend the Signature Scallop plate, have not had anything that delicious in quite some time. Michael Kroll was such a great server! Props to everybody involved in the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a joy. They are alwaysPowerthreeDined on 2/14/2014Always a joy. They are always willing to do special requests with a smile. They never make you feel like you are being a problem. Love this place. Even when we are doing a late dinner we never feel rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines nightYumfoodDined on 2/14/2014Had great and interesting sushi, great service with some extras, they brought out Hamachi with a passion fruit foam something I wouldn't normally order because it would have sounded to sweet however it was refreshing. At the end of the night they brought my wife a rose, concluding a great night of service. Umami Moto sometimes gets a knock for being to pricey, we had 3 signature rolls 2 orders of shashimi 2 martinis, a Hendricks and tonic and it was $91 before tip, I was surprised I was prepared for a higher bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was really, really goodDMBenGDined on 2/14/2014I'm not a sushi expert, but I've eaten at quite a few sushi joints all over the country. The food was really, really good. The tuna poke was probably my favorite. The Milwaukee roll was delicious as well. They poured good, generous drinks too which is important. The only downside was the seating. I went here on Valentine's Day though, so they could very well have changed the seating arrangement in order to fit more guests. Our seat was about 1-2 feet away from people on both sides of us. So privacy was not on the menu, but the food and well-poured drinks made up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful plates, deliciousAbsNickDined on 2/14/2014Beautiful plates, delicious food. We tried signature cocktails and they were excellent. Small plates and sushi offerings made this dinner exciting as we got to try many dishes. Lobster pot stickers were excellent as well as the Tuna Poke. very fresh fish, highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2014The sushi was amazing as was the entrees. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.