'Ulu Ocean Grill and Sushi Lounge
72-100 Kaupulehu Dr.
Kaupulehu, HI 96740Neighborhood:
HawaiianPrice: $31 to $50
'Ulu Ocean Grill and Sushi Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.uluoceangrill.com/
- Phone: (808) 325-8000
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Hawaiian
- Executive Chef: Massimo Falsini
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from 'Ulu Ocean Grill and Sushi Lounge
Among the finest venues for dining in Hawai'i, 'ULU Ocean Grill + Sushi Lounge is a breathtaking oceanfront fish and seafood restaurant on Hawai'i Island's Kona-Kohala Coast. The culinary team keeps the focus on local cuisine with a Regional, Seasonal and Artisanal philosophy. Located within Four Seasons Resort Hualālai at Historic Ka'ūpūlehu, 'ULU is a favorite as one of the best restaurants in Hawai'i.Continued
'ULU Ocean Grill + Sushi Lounge has been named one of the 100 Best Scenic View Restaurants in America for the OpenTable Diners' Choice Awards.
'ULU Ocean Grill + Sushi Lounge has been named one of the 100 Best Scenic View Restaurants in America for the OpenTable Diners' Choice Awards.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
'Ulu Ocean Grill and Sushi Lounge - Best Restaurants in Kaupulehu ›
'Ulu Ocean Grill and Sushi Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (61)great for outdoor dining (53)romantic (51)special occasion (46)fit for foodies (40)notable wine list (19)good for groups (8)hot spot (6)vibrant bar scene (4)neighborhood gem (4)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Not for food, but for experienceCkElVIPDined on 11/11/2014there is beautiful waves lit with high beam lights at night.. Nice decor and designer architecture... "Relaxing and romantic". This is not about good food or good deal. So yes, the food was pricey and only average, some "below" average. Was here for husbands birthday trip, the ambience cannot be beat. So my suggestion is order what you need to get full, have a drink and enjoy the beauty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paradise!Marnie85253Dined on 11/11/2014We went here for dinner on one of the nights during our honeymoon, it was absolutely gorgeous! The food was great and the location was just perfect. The ocean is lit at night and it was amazing and beautiful! I will definitely visit this wonderful restaurant again. Oh, the food was amazing!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014Our group of 6 picked Ulu for our "fancy" meal while vacationing on the Big Island. The service & the atmosphere was bar none. We all agreed that although the good was good, it was likely not worth the huge price tag. One small scoop of ice cream was $12. Really? All the food was good but you are paying for the fancy dining experience. We are more brewhaus type of folk.Special Features:
- Servicejfinns4foodDined on 11/8/2014Once seated it took awhile before anyone came to ask us if we wanted a drink. We finally called the hostess over and asked for someone to wait on us. After that the evening was wonderful.Special Features:
- Excellent MealOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/8/2014We have to this restaurant a few times and each time was a memorable experience. The property is fabulous, restaurant is in a good setting on the water, the servers want to please and the food is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location but overpricedRebolishVIPDined on 11/6/2014Location was amazing and service was great but the food was ok. It's advertised as a sushi lounge but that's an overstatement. They only have a handful of sushi items in the menu and they are just ok. My husband had the mahi mahi and it was ok. I had the honupo and it was excellent. The honupo was the only thing that we are that was worth the price. Mushroom fried rice was very bland. Soufflé was average.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service slow the food was cold.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/3/2014It was so fine dining. Not!!! Everything took a long time and every dish was cold besides the Suplee dessert.Special Features:
- Great eveningPickyEaterVIPDined on 11/1/2014With a table so close to the breaking surf it would be hard not to have a lovely evening here. The great food and service were also contributors to an overall memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely Stunning!RomanticDined on 10/30/2014We planned a sunset marriage ceremony at Kukio Beach next door to the Four Seasons. Knowing that this is where we were going to get married, we made reservations for our after dinner celebration at 'Ulu at the Four Seasons. We could not be happier with our decision! We started with a bottle of champagne to start our celebration. We had the crispy garlic calamari which was cooked to perfection! We loved the garlic flakes sprinkled on top. We followed with a green salad which was fresh and light. The highlight was the entree round. My husband had the snapper which he loved. I had the Prime Rib Eye which was tender, flavorful and cooked to perfection! We ended our meal with their chocolate souffle and french press kona coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply the best of the best !!!!!!!bigmoneyDined on 10/30/2014For the 4th time this is just the best restaurant on Hawaii. Food,drink,service and atmosphere can't be beat. Always as close to perfect as perfect gets.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- locallocalDined on 10/25/2014They held a major event the same evening and we were not told of it when making reservation or checking in. They should have closed the place for the event. As result, it was VERY noisy and staff was overcommitted resulting in poor service. Asked for the manager twice, he never came to speak with us - obviously doesn't care.Special Features:
- Great romance!JimbDined on 10/21/2014My brother got married on a beach in Hawaii and we took he and his new wife there for our "reception dinner". No description I provide will do it justice. Simply the most romantic, relaxing, and flavorful restaurant I have ever been to.Special Features:
- All was excellent....exceptgdt1VIPDined on 10/20/2014the fish was over cooked that was the only thing that was not excellent......all else was very good. I will go back for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/19/2014Despite prominent advertising touting the support of 160 locally produced items, servers were unable to answer simple questions about the food. Service was rushed for such a high end restaurant - appetizers arrived before cocktails were finished, main course arrived seconds after appetizer dishes were cleared. We skipped dessert due to already being dissatisfied with the meal and service which meant we were finished with our $250 meal in under an hour! Poke was very good, but Mahi was dry and tasteless, wild boar was a gigantic, unappetizing pork chop. Highly disappointed in this meal!Special Features:
- Great laceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/16/2014Great cocktails. Perfect fish preparations. Enjoyed the restaurant. Service was attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beware of the Wind !AfficianadoDined on 10/10/2014This "special" dining venue comes with some cautionary considerations. There are few restaurants that could honestly boast about their shoreside dining experience. We happened to chose a night when the wind was howling. You had to strain to hear the waiter's offerings. The drinks were great so we stuck it out at our table. Things didn't improve...the meal was cold in seconds, though tasty. They should have offered to move us under their covered lanai. We actually felt relief when we left the place, as did many other diners.Special Features:
- Fabulous View and FoodFoodiesVIPDined on 10/9/2014We went to this restaurant three times while staying at the Four Seasons resort. The food and service were amazing every time we were there. Excellent sushi and fish fishes. The calamari was fabulous, too. Don't miss the chocolate soufflé for dessert. The restaurant sits on the ocean...absolutely beautiful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful AnniversaryIronDocDined on 10/8/2014My wife and I were in Kona for the Ironman which falls around our anniversary. I was searching online for a suitable place to celebrate and found this gem. First impression was the walk through a tranquil garden to the restaurant. It was like passing through some tropical portal. We arrived at the restaurant and our table was perfect. Ocean view and quiet just like I had asked for. The menu was very creative making it hard to choose. We had charred octupus and coconut soup; local fish and wild boar entree; and amazing deserts! (Try the deconstructing pineapple thing). We have been telling everyone who would listen what a great experience it was. It is on our top 5 favorites list which for my wife and I is a pretty select list.Special Features:
- A wonderful experienceAnnapolisareafoodieVIPDined on 10/5/2014Celebrated our 40th anniversary with dinner here - fantastic view of the ocean, beautiful restaurant, great food and service. Our server Steve was most helpful, the food was outstanding, and the dark chocolate souffle was out of this world - and the Happy Anniversary message in Hawaiian written in chocolate was a great touch. If we are ever back on the Big Island, we will come here again. To the staff - Mahalo nui loa!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It doesn't get better than this!moved2reviewDined on 9/28/2014I have been to Ulu twice before this last visit to Kona. Because it is so special, this time I booked it twice during our one week on The Big Island, including our last stop before boarding the plane to head back home. We had sushi and watched the sunset. Though my ginger martini was not on the menu, the bartender created one of her own and it was perfect! Not surprised.Special Features:
- Amazing DinnerSachiDined on 9/26/2014What a delightful evening spent with my family. Great service, spectacular scenery and simply outstanding food and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- stanthemanDined on 9/26/2014had excellent dinner. All dishes were very good and you can't find a better view table. Waiter and service were also superb.Special Features:
- Just alrightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014I was looking forward to a four seasons experience. Great location. The food was fine, nothing really special. The server tried to sell all of the most expensive dishes which I found odd when asking for genuine recommendations. I expected the four seasons to be above that kind of thing. Oh well. Probably won't come back very often.Special Features:
- StrawsDined on 9/7/2014Absolutely wonderful - both food and service were excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PERFECT!elandelsbVIPDined on 9/2/2014Wonderful setting, making it a special occasion. Staff (Tic) attentive, knowledgeable and friendly. Food delicious, innovative and a perfect portion size. Recommend highly! Aloha.Special Features:
- RelaxingDiningDivas2Dined on 8/21/2014Relaxing with great ambience. The food is great and there's and awesome view. We really enjoy our visit there for the breakfast buffet. Mahalo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 210 reviews are from the 'Ulu Ocean Grill and Sushi Lounge reviews archive.
- Incredible location, great serviceMtottawaDined on 6/20/2014They gave us the best table for my birthday and treated us very well. Service excellent, from the hostess to the chef who prepared our tableside app. We would recommend 'Ulu for a special occasion. It also gave us the opportunity to tour the Four Seasons which was beautiful.Special Features:
- Dining on the oceanjanadapingDined on 6/16/2014Impossible to imagine a more beautiful, on-the-beach setting than that of Ulu Ocean Grill and Sushi Lounge at the Four Seasons Hualalai Resort on the Big Island of Hawaii. The sounds of the surf, the colors of the sunset and the superbly prepared food make dinner a memorable experience. The attentive staff is both well informed and happy to accommodate dietary requests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/14/2014We were recommended Ulu for dinner after our beach wedding, it was a perfect way to end a perfect day. We will be back.Special Features:
- Gem of a spotluckybaylyVIPDined on 6/12/2014This restaurant is the living example of the Four Seasons at its best. The food is local, inventive and expertly prepared. The staff is knowledgeable to the last detail and that helps with the appreciation of the menu. Enough cannot be said about the view. One of our family's all time, world wide, favs.Special Features:
- Absolutely BeautifulHoustonFoodiesDined on 6/11/2014Ulu is probably the most beautiful restaurant on the Big Island of Hawaii. Located at the Four Season's Hotel, Ulu is their top restaurant. The food was spectacular. Our wait staff was wonderful, but they lost our order, and we were there for an eternity. As a result the management comped all our drinks and they brought us an extra course. They certainly did the right thing, and although it was slow, we felt that Ulu cared for us very well. Sometimes orders get mixed up, and they handled the situation very professionally.Special Features:
- FantasticGreatVIPDined on 6/11/2014We were so impressed by every aspect of Ulu - from the darling hostess to our perfect table and view of the sunset to very capable and efficient wait staff to the helpful sommelier and delicious food and wines - a wonderful experience and we will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced and overrated.vancouverfoodieDined on 6/5/2014The service was good, however the food was just mediocre and hugely overpriced. Very disappointed.
- Perfect . . . Just perfect!KonaNickDined on 5/31/2014Wow - what a location, and perfect combination, fine food, reasonable pricing, great service and staff. Celebrated birthday dinner and enjoyed every minute.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ViewGourmetGalVIPDined on 5/29/2014Lovely ambiance and fairly good food by island standards. I had a beautifully prepared Ono dish but the grilled octopus appetizer was a little tough. The setting is really the best aspect of this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/27/2014An unbelievable dining experience. The perfect setting right along the ocean. The Ahi Poke, prepared table side, was the best we had during our ten day visit to Hawaii. The local tomato salad "WOW Tomatos" was outstanding by any standard. We dined at 'Ulu twice during our visit even though it was a 40 minute drive from where we were staying. During our visits my family (nine diners the first time and three the second) probably eight different entries (or a second appetizer as and entry) and everyone was pleased with everything ordered. I highly recommend 'Ulu and consider it the best restaurant on the "Big Island".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousGeekySeattleDined on 5/25/2014Delicious, imaginative dishes, great service, amazing location.Special Features:
- An Anniversary to RememberMeliaVIPDined on 5/25/2014My husband and I went to Ulu Ocean Grill at the Four Seasons Hualalai to celebrate our 27th Anniversary. The service was impeccable, the food was delicious, and the view of the Pacific Ocean and hazy Kohala Coast sunset was supreme. We especially loved the Tako Tataki style as our pupu (appetizer) and the delectable lobster. Finishing off the evening with two glasses of Proseco at the fire pit was just perfect. Next time, we want to try one of the desserts!Special Features:
- Dining DelightFood4JoyDined on 5/22/2014Dining here last night my wife and I had one of our loveliest dining experiences ever. We started with beet and heirloom tomato salads and continued with fish entrees kampachi and hapu. The food was beautifully presented and perfectly prepared, with a wonderful combination of flavors. Service was equally accomplished. Our server Toccara seemed to know when we needed her, but she did not needlessly interrupt our conversation. She had a remarkable understanding of both the menu items and wines to match them. She directed me to one of four chardonnays by the glass that turned out to approach magic in combination with the hapu. Finally, a table at the edge of the deck with floodlights on the nearby surf after dark made this truly memorable.Special Features:
- Ulu is Terrific!JenSonomaVIPDined on 5/22/2014We tried Ulu for the first time since it "transformed" from the former Pahu i'a restaurant at the Four Seasons. Outstanding! The menu is diverse enough to offer something to suit varying tastes (sushi, fish, beef, etc.). They had all of my favorites - green papaya salad, kampachi sashimi....Will definitely put it on our short list of restaurants to visit the next trip to the Big Island, and tell our friends about it, to.Special Features: