'Ulu Ocean Grill and Sushi Lounge
72-100 Kaupulehu Dr.
Kaupulehu, HI 96740Neighborhood:
HawaiianPrice: $31 to $50
'Ulu Ocean Grill and Sushi Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fourseasons.com/hualalai/dining/restaurants/ulu_ocean_grill/
- Phone: 8083258000x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Hawaiian
- Executive Chef: Nick Mastrascusa
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from 'Ulu Ocean Grill and Sushi Lounge
Among the finest venues for dining in Hawai'i, 'ULU Ocean Grill + Sushi Lounge is a breathtaking oceanfront fish and seafood restaurant on Hawai'i Island's Kona-Kohala Coast. The culinary team keeps the focus on local cuisine with a Regional, Seasonal and Artisanal philosophy. Located within Four Seasons Resort Hualālai at Historic Ka'ūpūlehu, 'ULU is a favorite as one of the best restaurants in Hawai'i.Continued
'ULU Ocean Grill + Sushi Lounge has been named one of the 100 Best Scenic View Restaurants in America in the 2013 OpenTable Diners' Choice Awards.
'ULU Ocean Grill + Sushi Lounge has been named one of the 100 Best Scenic View Restaurants in America in the 2013 OpenTable Diners' Choice Awards.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
'Ulu Ocean Grill and Sushi Lounge - Best Restaurants in Kaupulehu ›
'Ulu Ocean Grill and Sushi Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (32)great for outdoor dining (31)special occasion (28)romantic (26)fit for foodies (22)notable wine list (12)great for brunch (4)neighborhood gem (4)hot spot (4)good for groups (3)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (1)Show More
- Amazing DinnerSachiDined on 9/26/2014What a delightful evening spent with my family. Great service, spectacular scenery and simply outstanding food and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just alrightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014I was looking forward to a four seasons experience. Great location. The food was fine, nothing really special. The server tried to sell all of the most expensive dishes which I found odd when asking for genuine recommendations. I expected the four seasons to be above that kind of thing. Oh well. Probably won't come back very often.Special Features:
- StrawsDined on 9/7/2014Absolutely wonderful - both food and service were excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PERFECT!elandelsbVIPDined on 9/2/2014Wonderful setting, making it a special occasion. Staff (Tic) attentive, knowledgeable and friendly. Food delicious, innovative and a perfect portion size. Recommend highly! Aloha.Special Features:
- RelaxingDiningDivas2Dined on 8/21/2014Relaxing with great ambience. The food is great and there's and awesome view. We really enjoy our visit there for the breakfast buffet. Mahalo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible location, great serviceMtottawaDined on 6/20/2014They gave us the best table for my birthday and treated us very well. Service excellent, from the hostess to the chef who prepared our tableside app. We would recommend 'Ulu for a special occasion. It also gave us the opportunity to tour the Four Seasons which was beautiful.Special Features:
- Dining on the oceanjanadapingDined on 6/16/2014Impossible to imagine a more beautiful, on-the-beach setting than that of Ulu Ocean Grill and Sushi Lounge at the Four Seasons Hualalai Resort on the Big Island of Hawaii. The sounds of the surf, the colors of the sunset and the superbly prepared food make dinner a memorable experience. The attentive staff is both well informed and happy to accommodate dietary requests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/14/2014We were recommended Ulu for dinner after our beach wedding, it was a perfect way to end a perfect day. We will be back.Special Features:
- Gem of a spotluckybaylyVIPDined on 6/12/2014This restaurant is the living example of the Four Seasons at its best. The food is local, inventive and expertly prepared. The staff is knowledgeable to the last detail and that helps with the appreciation of the menu. Enough cannot be said about the view. One of our family's all time, world wide, favs.Special Features:
- Absolutely BeautifulHoustonFoodiesDined on 6/11/2014Ulu is probably the most beautiful restaurant on the Big Island of Hawaii. Located at the Four Season's Hotel, Ulu is their top restaurant. The food was spectacular. Our wait staff was wonderful, but they lost our order, and we were there for an eternity. As a result the management comped all our drinks and they brought us an extra course. They certainly did the right thing, and although it was slow, we felt that Ulu cared for us very well. Sometimes orders get mixed up, and they handled the situation very professionally.Special Features:
- FantasticGreatVIPDined on 6/11/2014We were so impressed by every aspect of Ulu - from the darling hostess to our perfect table and view of the sunset to very capable and efficient wait staff to the helpful sommelier and delicious food and wines - a wonderful experience and we will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced and overrated.vancouverfoodieDined on 6/5/2014The service was good, however the food was just mediocre and hugely overpriced. Very disappointed.
- The following 203 reviews are from the 'Ulu Ocean Grill and Sushi Lounge reviews archive.
- Perfect . . . Just perfect!KonaNickDined on 5/31/2014Wow - what a location, and perfect combination, fine food, reasonable pricing, great service and staff. Celebrated birthday dinner and enjoyed every minute.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ViewGourmetGalVIPDined on 5/29/2014Lovely ambiance and fairly good food by island standards. I had a beautifully prepared Ono dish but the grilled octopus appetizer was a little tough. The setting is really the best aspect of this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/27/2014An unbelievable dining experience. The perfect setting right along the ocean. The Ahi Poke, prepared table side, was the best we had during our ten day visit to Hawaii. The local tomato salad "WOW Tomatos" was outstanding by any standard. We dined at 'Ulu twice during our visit even though it was a 40 minute drive from where we were staying. During our visits my family (nine diners the first time and three the second) probably eight different entries (or a second appetizer as and entry) and everyone was pleased with everything ordered. I highly recommend 'Ulu and consider it the best restaurant on the "Big Island".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousGeekySeattleDined on 5/25/2014Delicious, imaginative dishes, great service, amazing location.Special Features:
- An Anniversary to RememberMeliaVIPDined on 5/25/2014My husband and I went to Ulu Ocean Grill at the Four Seasons Hualalai to celebrate our 27th Anniversary. The service was impeccable, the food was delicious, and the view of the Pacific Ocean and hazy Kohala Coast sunset was supreme. We especially loved the Tako Tataki style as our pupu (appetizer) and the delectable lobster. Finishing off the evening with two glasses of Proseco at the fire pit was just perfect. Next time, we want to try one of the desserts!Special Features:
- Dining DelightFood4JoyDined on 5/22/2014Dining here last night my wife and I had one of our loveliest dining experiences ever. We started with beet and heirloom tomato salads and continued with fish entrees kampachi and hapu. The food was beautifully presented and perfectly prepared, with a wonderful combination of flavors. Service was equally accomplished. Our server Toccara seemed to know when we needed her, but she did not needlessly interrupt our conversation. She had a remarkable understanding of both the menu items and wines to match them. She directed me to one of four chardonnays by the glass that turned out to approach magic in combination with the hapu. Finally, a table at the edge of the deck with floodlights on the nearby surf after dark made this truly memorable.Special Features:
- Ulu is Terrific!JenSonomaVIPDined on 5/22/2014We tried Ulu for the first time since it "transformed" from the former Pahu i'a restaurant at the Four Seasons. Outstanding! The menu is diverse enough to offer something to suit varying tastes (sushi, fish, beef, etc.). They had all of my favorites - green papaya salad, kampachi sashimi....Will definitely put it on our short list of restaurants to visit the next trip to the Big Island, and tell our friends about it, to.Special Features:
- Ulu's Da Bes!DiverDownDined on 5/21/2014As locals from Oahu, we were searching for a restaurant with a beautiful setting and great different food from the other resort food on the Kona Coast. We found it! With an attentive, super nice local staff, the beautiful walk from the front desk down to the ocean, the amazing setting, and then, the incredible food, it was all that we could have asked for. Portions were good, we liked that you can do all small plates if you like, and cocktails delicious. We were with our adult children and they were blown away. Nice diverse crowd, so it had a vibrant feel. Elegant but still casual.Special Features:
- Good but don't go hungryretired4everDined on 5/21/2014Food was very good but portions not adequate for a hearty appetite. Fantastic location, very good staff; would have easily been five* if not for the small portions. Would highly recommend and would return but a late lunch first, then I would't need a hot dog after.Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/18/2014We spent my 43rd birthday in HI and had my celebration dinner at Ulu. We were so impressed by the service and the food we came back three times during our visit. This restaurant has the whole package and I highly recommend it!Special Features:
- AndyDined on 5/17/2014Our table was ready at the time reserved. Some appetizers and deserts were better than others. Soup was fine but nothing special - same for their chocolate lava cake desert. However, the main dishes were outstanding (I had the Hawaiian sea bass.) View from our outside (but still under roof) table was beautiful - both for the sunset as well as the lit waves crashing ashore after dark. Pricey but not outrageous. I'd definitely go again when in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best on the Big IslandRubyVIPDined on 5/14/2014Incredible food and an amazing setting even in the rain! It is on the pricey side, but well worth it.Special Features:
- Excellent eats.dcgata2Dined on 5/11/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants on the Big Island. The food is always fresh and creatively prepared and the service is professional without being overbearing. The tables are spaced far away from each other enough so that you don't overhear other diners' conversations.Special Features:
- A "must" to try in KonaBW124Dined on 5/11/2014Don't be intimidated by the Luxury Four Season Resort. Ulu gives you the opportunity to try out one of the most scenic restaurants on the Big Island regardless of where you are staying. Spectacular sunset views and beach. Put it all together....the food...experience...it is spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal, best serviceFoodie82Dined on 5/7/2014The food at Ulu was amazing from start to finish. The scenery will take your breath away, more than all of that, the service was bar-none. Ask to sit in Bronson's section. He made a great night remarkable. Well done, Ulu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A most amazing evening!!SuzeQ2Dined on 5/5/2014We celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary with a sunset dinner that was the most spectacular evening either if us has ever experienced!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, But not 5 StarsfififluffDined on 5/5/2014Although the food was good, and the service was friendly - this is definitely not a five star experience. The view makes up for the short-comings in the execution department, so don't feel badly about making this a stop on your trip. I would expect, however, that the Four Seasons understands the importance of filling wine glasses before they empty (a long time empty...at least 10 minutes), and folding napkins when a guest needs to leave the table, etc. The staff was very willing to indulge our group in taking our picture at sunset. The food was good, not great. Poke -- the whole purpose of poke is to allow the acid to 'cure' the fish. Tableside poke is an oxymoron -- and tasted fair at best. Mongolian beef - very nice. Hapu - very nice.Special Features:
- A must do on the big islandGreatDateSpotVIPDined on 4/8/2014Amazing ambiance on beautiful grounds with grorgeous views, great menu, very attentive service, delicious food! Must order: crunchy shrimp role, lobster, banana soufflé. Wish we had time to go back a second time before leaving the island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Birthday to me!sweetsamDined on 3/3/2014What a wonderful restaurant. It is in the Four Seasons Hotel on the west coast of the Big Island near Kona. Just fabulous. It was a my birthday dinner and my husband treated me to a wonderful meal, great service and a wonderful view of the ocean. It is not a cheap restaurant but no more expensive than any good meal in a big city. The bill including drink, no dessert came to $200.00 including tip for the both of us.Special Features:
- BetterOceanPrimoVIPDined on 2/24/2014Have eaten many times at Pa U ia and now the Ulu grill. The location does not get any better and the new restaurant concept is much better than before. But, something unfortunate happened on this visit. They were cooking their meat on a grill on the patio outside on a windy night. All of that smoke was going directly onto the guests at each table on the patio which made for a horrible atmosphere. When you pay ++ for the food and atmosphere, that is a detail that you just cannot miss. Nice idea - terrible execution. We had to move to a table for enough in front of the grill to avoid the smoke. Thank goodness we moved or we would not have had a good time. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do not go here for sushi,SteveVIPDined on 2/15/2014Do not go here for sushi, not sure why it is has Sushi Lounge in its name. Book on Open Table, We got one of the greatest tables ever! We were seated on a lower area just 15 feet from the sand. The food was delicious. My husband had the Mongolian Beef and it was amazing. Enjoy!Special Features:
- Best of the BestRondaDined on 2/7/2014You simply can not go wrong dining here. Love the traditional all time favorite Souffle's. Keep up the excellent Chef WOrk here !!Special Features:
- The perfect spot for dinner.EmilyDined on 2/6/2014In one sentence - I wish all date-nights could be like our dinner at Ulu. We arrived about an hour early for our reservation because we wanted to have a couple of drinks at the bar (and I wanted to request a great table). The bar tender was great and made some fantastic cocktails (the ginger-coconut vodka drink is amazing!!!!!). The view was breath-taking with the ocean in view from the bar seat. Once seated outside (with the waves crashing in the background) we began one of our best meals on the Island. I would highly recommend this spot for anyone who considers themselves a foodies. From the bread to the appetizer to the main meal, everything was delicious. Worth every penny.Special Features:
- ULU EleganceProstateronDined on 2/5/2014Our Dining Experience was nothing short of spectacular! One of the nicest shoreline dining experiences We have ever experienced! We were celebrating our 15th Anniversary, and could not have had a better night out. The food was excellent, the staff attentive and not intimidating, and the ambiance "to die for"! Lighting of the waves was spectacular! In fact the only shortcoming, was the early delivery of a "warm" bottle of Louis Roederer Champagne (on ice), but opened and poured while still warm and frothy....hardly what I would expect at a Four Season's Hotel Restaurant. Nonetheless, a 5 star event! We are very forgiving given all the other attributes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and CasualGourmetGalVIPDined on 2/4/2014This is a very kid-friendly venue. The food has a fun, casual flair for such high prices but everything is fresh and nicely prepared. The best feature is the amazing view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Located at the Four Season'sAllisonDined on 1/30/2014Located at the Four Season's property, lobby was spectacular as well as walk through resort grounds to get to restaurant. Ulu's décor and view are also spectacular, right along ocean...food was above average and only disappointing note was the extremely slow service, not typical for a Four Season's, took 20 minutes for waiter to come to table and had to find him to pay the bill. Luckily the ambiance made up for the service.Special Features:
- Great food, Great setting!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/30/2014Slow food style, in a place where you forget where you are! The ocean´s gentle breeze drives your thoughts away, and an epicurian sense of wellness flows into your soul! Exquisite cuisine, with lots of organic and locally grown and harvested ingredients. Food as food should be: Not over-pretended, not under-estimated. And not to forget mentioning the very professional staff, including an outstanding sommelier. Congratulations!Special Features:
- Great place two of us lovedeboatVIPDined on 1/29/2014Great place two of us loved the food one ordered the chicken and did like preparation as had skin on itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.