1810 N Highland Ave.
Tampa, FL 33602Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ulele.com/
- Phone: (813) 999-4952
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 11-10 p.m, Friday-Saturday: 11-11 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American, Brewery
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Ulele has several private areas for dining that may be used for business meetings, social affairs, wedding events, charity events, etc. There are private room areas inside the restaurant, beer garden, upper patio deck and the riverside lawn (tents available). Catering menus are available.
- Private Party Contact: Cristina Scaramuzzi 8139994952x
A word from Ulele
Ulele (pronounced you-lay-lee) celebrates the vibrant fusion of ingredients from Florida waters and land once home to many Native Americans, including the legendary young princess Ulele. Featuring intricately flavored, visually appealing dishes prepared on our 10' round barbacoa grill, Ulele operates in the lovingly re-imagined 1903 Tampa Heights Water Works building, which also includes its Ulele Spring Brewery to provide a number of craft beers on tap.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Ulele - Best Restaurants in Tampa ›
Ulele reviews from OpenTable diners
542 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelEnergetic
scenic view (385)fit for foodies (365)hot spot (338)neighborhood gem (318)great for outdoor dining (316)special occasion (279)good for groups (227)vibrant bar scene (180)notable wine list (131)romantic (106)great for lunch (80)kid-friendly (48)late-night find (45)great for brunch (22)Show More
- Great ambiance, good food and great viewOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/19/2014Ulele currently is the new hot spot so if you go for dinner be prepared to wait even with a reservation. I went with a party of 4 and with an 8:30 reservation we still waited 45 minutes to be sat. Although this was an annoyance since we were all hungry and the bar was packed the manager and bartenders took very good care of us and were amazing and accommodating. As for the restaurant itself, it is amazing. They did an incredible job renovating the old warehouse and its definitely a cool vibe to it with the open kitchen, upstairs, visible pipes. It does get loud so if you're looking for quiet and romantic this would probably not be ideal but if you want energy and fun then this is a great place, especially since there is an outdoor beer garden area and outdoor patio setting that looks out to the Hillsborough River. Now for the food. I highly recommend ordering the chargrilled oysters, they are amazing and light with that great chargrilled taste. We ordered the alligator hushpuppies (they are very good) for apps. For dinner the Filet, NY Strip, Flank Steak and Swordfish were ordered. All were great and cooked perfectly. Their "Jimmychuri" sauce for the flank steak is awesome. If you like chimmichurri then you'll love this since it has pieces of avocado in it (delicious). We also ordered a side of the jalapeno corn bread (awesome especially if you like a some spicy kick to it) and the crab mac n cheese (to me it was good not great but still worth ordering). We didn't order beer but I had been here before and I would definitely recommend the Wedding Beer. Also definitely try the Florida Chili (this is awesome). The Three Sisters salad is great too. I had the florida jumpers before and I'm not a fan, not because I don't like frog legs but because there was nothing special to them. But all in all great evening, good food, great memories.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service & foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/19/2014Our server Brittany was excellent, she was very attentive to our needs. The room is a little noisie but overall great dinning experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really disappointed.TPAtoORDDined on 11/18/2014I had the pork chop and though it was cooked well, it lacked any distinguishable factor that made it stand out from something that I cooked at home. A blah sauce was provided on the side and added little. The chop was served on a bed of lima beans and Swiss Chard-like greens, but just not worth the price paid. Other parties at the table were disappointed with the yellowfin tuna, not a good quality of fish in that the flesh was not nearly as firm as it should have been and was overcooked. Other party had the seafood pot pie and reported it very heavy cream, but overall good review. Dessert of the cornflake crusted ice cream was soggy instead of a crisp exterior as expected. The space is wonderful though disconcerting when the manager brought the interior designer to the window beside our table to measure for blinds.Special Features:
- first time at UlelemaggieDined on 11/18/2014Ulele is indeed a great asset to the "Tampa Scene," as well as to the list of restaurants in the city. Attention to architectural detail is outstanding, as well as to the food. Of course, the use of "all-hard surfaces" does create a noisy atmosphere, but that is not enough to keep me away!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time to UlelesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/17/2014Wine choices were disappointing. Ambiance and service excellent. Fish are very fresh but the accompaniments are pretty average. Charbroiled oysters were good but very tiny. A fun place to go, even on a rainy Monday night. It was buzzing by 9 pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tampa's newest treasureTampaBobDined on 11/16/2014Legendary restaurateur Richard Gonzmart (the Columbia) has put his heart, soul and fabulous art collection into a restored water works that has become a major destination. Ulele (you-LAY-lee) earns its nightly full houses and legions of fans honestly. After three delightful visits, I'm a total devotee. The food and drinks are more than worthy of the amazing surroundings. For starters, the on-site craft brewery provides several satisfying ales and lagers. The wine list is surprisingly affordable as well. We liked the Rodney Strong pinot noir. Then there's the great menu. The grilled oysters are as fine as they come, according to our friends from New Orleans. They should know. I'm partial to the crispy okra appetizer, although the grit cakes and mac/cheese were also dandy. So far, I've had a succulent pork sandwich (the lunch menu is different), an outstanding Ahi Tuna and a deliciously seasoned Mahi dinner. My companions loved their flank steak and seafood pot pies. We had to taste desserts, so we shared a luscious flourless chocolate cake and key lime ice cream about six ways. Yes, the service is as attentive and individual as you could want. No wonder you have to make a reservation well in advance. After your meal, you can enjoy a sweet walk on the Hillsborough River: The newly built Water Works Park is adjacent to the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedNehelia1Dined on 11/15/2014We went at 10pm Saturday 11/15/14 to celebrate my husbands birthday. The location and restaurant decor was great. The menu was limited. My husband and I ordered the steak. My Steak was cooked perfect and tasted good, my husband thought his steak was bland. The macaroni and cheese sounded so good on the menu but it had no seasoning and it was blah and boring once it arrived to the table. My asparagus were overlooked and I didn't really understand the popcorn sprinkled on the mashed potatoe. It didn't enhance the potatoes so why put them there. The beer and wine list was extensive but hubby and I didn't drink that night. Overall we were not impressed and would not return.Special Features:
- Overall our experience was average.LatinsunflowerDined on 11/15/2014Our waiter was fantastic!!!! But the food was somewhat diappointing. Alligator Hush Puppies was amostly corn flour and the serving sauce was not enough sauce for the 4 pieces served. The fish and wild rice was nothing to rave about. And the wine serving portion was embarrassing.
- Everything went about as perfect as could be.MysticDinerDined on 11/14/2014The place was well staffed. Our server was there immediately. After we ordered cocktails, she came back for apps a minute later, and noticed that the olives I had ordered in my drink were missing, and had them to me in seconds. The appetizers were original, well prepared and tasty. I had the deconstructed seafood pot pie for dinner, and it was delicious. My wife ordered a rare filet mignon, and it was cooked, rare, to perfection. Our guests had the seared yellowfin, and it was also perfectly cooked. And our guests enjoyed it as much as we did. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Ambience - Food But DisappointingTamoaGreenDined on 11/13/2014Beautiful setting on the river and could be a very romantic restaurant as there are several hideaways upstairs and outside. We were disappointed in the food however. When you pay these prices you expect a dining experience as far as food goes and we did not have that. Fish was over-cooked and steak was tough. Their wine blends were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, below average service, too noisyJaneTDined on 11/13/2014Inside too noisy for good table conversation. What a shame because I doubt I'd go back anytime soon if the food wasn't so terrific. Waiter this visit was well below par.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic meal at a very special restaurant!Suzieq4uDined on 11/13/2014Most of our group of four arrived ahead of time for our reservation so we went to the bar area since we were still also missing one person. Very nice bartender brought a glass of wine for my daughter and water for the other two of us. When we were all together and ready we decided to eat upstairs which we were really glad we did. It is quieter and more intimate. We started with calamari after our beverages of choice were delivered. The entrees we decided on were the duck, Florida Pompano, deconstructed seafood pot pie, and beet salad. There was literally no food left on anyone's plate! For dessert we had the mango pie, maple bacon ice cream and flourless chocolate cake. I left some of the cake because it is so rich but otherwise everything else was gone. Mango pie was the clear winner though! Service was exceptional. My daughter had ordered the crab cake to go with her beet salad. It did not describe the fact that it had red peppers in it which she cannot eat. It was removed from the table and was never listed on the bill. We all enjoyed this meal and evening very much and it was definitely due to Ulele! It is a very special restaurant and we will be recommending it to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menuMayBDined on 11/13/2014I've been to Ulele twice for lunch and sampled eight different items. Standouts are the okra fries, the jalapeño corn beer quick bread, the meat loaf, the beet and pear salad, and the lucanica salchica. The Florida native chili was rather bland, and arrived along with my salad, so that was a big disappointment. I plan to go again and still look forward to trying the burger and the grouper sandwich for lunch. For dinner, I'd have the meatloaf again! Except I'd want to try other things as well. One member of my party was hoping for Cuban coffee, but alas, it is not offered. Even when a table outside was not available, there was plenty of fresh air coming in from the wide open doors. The smoking area is around the corner from the outdoor tables and was absolutely no problem, even to the table closest to it. Great place for a sunset view over the Hillsborough (different from the gulf but much quicker to get there from my home in south Tampa). Take a minute to take a peek at the park next door with the big pail of water. Lunchtime parking on the street or the parking lot to the south. Dinner time valet as well. If you want handicapped parking for lunch turn onto Highland from 7th Ave. Otherwise Henderson is fine.Special Features:
- Fun experienceMarcVIPDined on 11/12/2014We had a good time at Ulele. Good food and interesting flavors. The ambiance and the decor are the best features. Greeting and reception of guests were impersonal and disorganized however. We arrived early for our dinner reservation thinking we would have a drink at the bar. As it turns out, there is a bar but mostly occupied by other dining guests so little space to stand and be comfortable. We were very frustrated by the length of time to get drinks. The bartender essentially ignored us for at least 20 minutes. Luckily one of the managers became aware of the situation and made us feel welcome and took control. So overall, a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining OutAlocaldinerDined on 11/12/2014Food was great. Best filet ever! Crab macaroni and cheese was fabulous. Only recommendation would be to improve coconut ice cream by actually adding coconut to the ice cream. It was average. The vanilla bean ice cream was perfect though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inventive menu, service level needs improvementAwesomeVIPDined on 11/12/2014Lots of creative menu options especially on the seafood front. Noise and energy level was very high, cool decor and great views of the river and nearby waterworks park. The service level was in need of development however - amateurish and not team-oriented resulting in long delays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyable.....tampalivvaDined on 11/12/2014Food was great, actually best meal I have had out in a long time, as I am very picky. Very reasonably priced. Service was good, not great. Ambiance nice as well. Would recommend highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/12/2014My first time was terrific! Lunch (vegetarian) was delicious and service great! The Espresso ice cream was to die for! My one complain was the noise. At first the noise level was fine. Then as more and more people arrived, the noise level was pretty high. The weather was beautiful, and I wish we had sat outside. I would go back again, though. Interesting displays of art!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Florida BeautyMercedesDined on 11/11/2014Delicious and fresh food served professionally! Don't miss their onsite brews and the awesome in house made ice cream! Thank you Richard Gonzmart and the Ciry of Tampa for restoring this beautiful spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- U'Le le is my goto placepupugirlDined on 11/10/2014I been twice in 3 weeks both with a group that had never been before. We were blown away both times. Even though I believe Ulele is a 5 star eatery with a fabulous location and view and the restaurant is absolutely georgeous...it's the food itself that falls a little flat. Don't get me wrong.. the menu is enticing and diverse and the food is prepared perfectly, it's the taste that falls just a little flat. Hubby had the pompano since it was recommended over the grouper that evening and the fish was prepared perfectly, the shaved fried carrots delicious and the wild rice.... Overall, he felt like the dish was under seasoned and he could have used a little more of the aoli that rimmed the plate. We still loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- uleleevepDined on 11/10/2014glorious day for dining outside with view of the river and riverwalk; excellent service; salad (beet and pear) tasty and just enough for lunchSpecial Features:
- Dr and Mrs. T RennyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/9/2014We loved it, food, scenery, wine list, the noise is probably due to high ceilings and open floor plan, but dining outside is exceptional along with the view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinner!Jfrank46Dined on 11/9/2014Our first visit to Ulele and I must say we will be back! We started with the Okra Fries ... wow! my filet was outstanding, the lamb .. awesome and the pompano ... exquisite. Our server, Janelle was excellent and so engaging......she made us laugh through-out the entire dinner! The ambiance was very nice although a bit loud ... but with the open ceilings and stone floors there's not many options. People were happy and chatting so that is a good thing. Parking was a bit challenging .... why there is no valet with that set-up is a problem .... in the bad weather and with the handicapped? With that being said....we will be back with family and friends very, very soon.Special Features:
- Rich experience, ambiance and foodLoveTampaHeightsDined on 11/9/2014It starts with the ambiance of arriving at such a uniquly Florida/tampa experience and ends with you planning who elae you want to share this with as you leave. Oh, and the service (our waiter was Juan) and food (ulele burger, frog legs and chili) were all excellent experiences is their own right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and Service, Hoppin'mikeandmelDined on 11/8/2014This was my wife and I's second visit to Ulele. This time we brought another couple. Ulele is in an old waterworks pump house that has converted into a restaurant. The space is open with brick walls so it is loud. As a matter of fact, my only complaint about the place is that it is so loud that it was very hard to hold a conversation. The food is amazing and features locally sourced menu items. The charbroiled oysters for an appetizer are a must. My Florida Beef New York Strip steak was perfectly prepared and I did not need a steak knife to cut it. The Grouper is also fantastic. IF you want a quieter dining experience, ask to be seated outside when the weather allows.Special Features:
- Superb food, miserable organizationDKNYCDined on 11/8/2014We made our reservation several weeks in advance. We got there 5 minutes prior to the scheduled time. We were told that they were running behind time and it would be 10 mins. 10 mins? No problem. Got a round of drinks at the bar and settled in to wait. 20 mins later we checked back in and were informed that it would be another 10-15 mins. Huh? We sat down next to some folks who said that they'd already been waiting 45 mins for their reservation. Seriously? After more back and forth, we were eventually seated almost an hour after our scheduled time. Now we used to live in Manhattan and understand waiting. But a reservation is a reservation. If you're not going to honor them, don't take them. The food was superb. Valet was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expect to WAIT!!DDiannaMDined on 11/8/2014Even with a reservation, we were not sat until 45 minutes after our reservation & after speaking to a manager. Considering the restaurant has been open (and EXTREMELY busy) for over 2 months now, they should have the kinks worked out... maybe either limit reservations or deny walk-ins. Food was absolutely amazing and the server was knowledgable, provided great recommendations, & was very accommidating. He put in our appetizer order in record speed after we sat down (we were starving by the time we were finally seated). Definitely try the pork shank, alligator hushpuppies, and guava pie. The duck, frog legs, crab mac & cheese, and duck bacon ice cream were also great. We will not be going back until the excitement has settled down a bit...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Tampa gem!!JillbDined on 11/8/2014Unique, eclectic, fun vide, great menu representing all that is delicious about Tampa's culinary traditions!! I highly recommend it!Special Features:
- Friday night funEMacDined on 11/7/2014Excellent food, ambiance is great. A Tampa Bay hot spot with top notch food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could have been perfect butOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014there were a few missteps along the way. The salads we ordered were prepared incorrectly, the 'medium' steak was very rare, and the side orders did came out significantly after the entrees. With that said, the rest of the meal was great with one exception. The renowned Candied Duck Bacon Maple Fried Ice Cream was a huge disappointment. By the time it arrived to us it tasted like a soggy bowl of lukewarm cornflakes. There were a lot of great things about this restaurant and the food, but they need to work on consistency and timing in the kitchen.Special Features:
- On the RiverLongtimeTampaDined on 11/7/2014The view from our table was a little blocked, but we could see outdoors and part of a river view. Service was quick and unobtrusive, at the same time, attentive. We were pleased with our menu selections, the service and the attention we received. Friends are talking (very positively) about your Restaurant. We will return, most likely with friends.Special Features:
- Once is enough for UleleFLfoodDined on 11/7/2014Full review will be posted on travel site as not enough room given here for adequate review. At this point none of us said we'd recommend or return. Overall rating C- and not worth the effort to go there. A real surprise that the Gozmart family who is known for their attention to food and service at the Columbia would accept this as representing their name brand.Special Features:
- Lunch with the ladiesOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/7/2014Although we had to wait 30 minutes for our 12:30 reservation, the manager, Steve and our server, Peter were great. The food was good. It is very noisy inside, we were able to get a table outside and it was very enjoyable. Ruth at the bar is super!Special Features:
- Great locationluv2eatDined on 11/7/2014The Tampa Heights and Water Work Park have a great restaurant with Ulele now serving lunch and dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeTomSDined on 11/6/2014I was very anxious to try this place out and made a reservation for early on a Thursday. This place looks beautiful and modern and its situated on the Hillsborough river connected to the Water Works Park. My seafood was outstanding but there was a problem with my wife's order. The waiter was friendly and personable but must have misheard my wife when she ordered the filet and not the flank steak. I'll chalk this up to a minor error and the waiter and manager profusely apologized. I will certainly be back.Special Features:
- Great Food, Great ViewoutintampaDined on 11/6/2014The renovation of this old water dept building is perfect. The large windows facing the river is wonderful. The best thing is the food. Prepared well and service is very good. Definite repeat, and definite try for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My 20th anniversay dinnerBiz1108Dined on 11/5/2014My wife and I celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary dinner here and I must say everything was great! For apps. we ordered the alligator hush puppies that were great and entrees broiled grouper (her) and I had the New York Strip which cooked to perfection. We also, had the macaroni and cheese as an additional side, that was to die for. Our male server was also great at suggestions and making us feel welcomed. We plan to be back!Special Features:
- Worth the Wait!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/5/2014Ulele completely lived up to the reviews and referrals my boyfriend and I had received! We've been dying to go and decided to wait until his birthday and a lull in his work travel schedule. From the surprise gathering with our best friend's at the bar inside to our romantic outdoor fine dining with just the 2 of us, it was quite the experience for these foodies! His filet mignon over white cheddar mashed potatoes (topped with popcorn!) and my pumpkin seed crusted yellowfin tuna (FRESH everyday!) were absolutely mouthwatering. And for his bday dessert? house-made pumpkin pie ice cream served in a coconut shell. Are. You. Kidding. Me? This place is one NOT to be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavorful seafood, beautiful viewTpaHeightsCoupleDined on 11/5/2014My husband and I celebrated our anniversary with dinner at Ulele. We had the Florida Pompano and the Snapper. While both were fantastic, we liked the Florida Pompano the best, with the fried carrot slices on top (substituted green beans and mashed potatoes for the asparagus and rice). The spinach that came with the Snapper also had GREAT flavor. We had a taste of the house made ice cream for dessert - the espresso flavor was fantastic! We are Tampa Heights residents and will definitely be back to this great new addition to the Hillsborough River waterfront.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must ExperienceSirRodneyDined on 11/5/2014Ulele lives up to all the Hype! It offers an Innovative menu that honors Florida's Roots and supports the local economy, served in a restored Historically Significant Structure, set in an Idyllic Riverfront Setting. This is a welcome addition to Tampa's Riverwalk. we were there early and were able to experience the sunset and opening of all the tall glass operable walls, so the inside became outside. Delightful! My only negative comment is that the building is acoustically challenged. Once the occupancy exceeds 50% it is difficult to carry on a conversation.Special Features: