1214 U Street, NW
Washington, DC 20009Neighborhood:
U Street Corridor
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ulahbistro.com/
- Phone: 2022340123
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Thursday 11am to 2am Friday 11am to 3am Saturday 10am to 3am Sunday 10am to 2am Kitchen open until 1 hour before close. Brunch: every Saturday and Sunday 10am to 3pm We are right by the U street metro!
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: Enjoy Karaoke, Live Music, and Dancing throughout the week at Ulah Bistro. Scheduled events are posted on our website. Please feel free to call the restaurant for more details.
- Special Events: Monday Nights: 1/2 Price Bottles of Wine & $19.95 3-Course Prefixe Menu Tuesday Nights: $19.95 3-Course Prefixe Menu
A word from Ulah Bistro
Ulah Bistro will tantalize your taste buds with delectable American cuisine, such as fresh brick oven pizza, at our bistro in Washington DC. Ulah Bistro offers a wide variety of modern American cuisine for both dine-in and take out. Our experienced chefs prepare all of our foods fresh daily, and we utilize more than 20 years of experience to bring you delicious food, excellent service, and a good time! Ulah Bistro is pleased to announce our restaurant policy. Parties of six or more, one large check that may be split up over six different credit cards or cash payments. Parties of six or more, we will hold a table for no more than 20 minutes past your reservation time. The majority of the group must be present in order to be seated. Walk-ins are always welcome. We have two excellent bars for waiting and for full service dinner. We seat complete parties on the first come first serve basis.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ulah Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (37)great for outdoor dining (25)neighborhood gem (21)good for groups (21)fit for foodies (18)great for lunch (13)late-night find (9)vibrant bar scene (7)hot spot (6)special occasion (5)romantic (4)notable wine list (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Ulah and U Street always deliversMaxxVIPDined on 8/23/2014I have been to this restaurant several times and each time it's a great experience. The food, the service, the atmosphere. A moment of sanity on busy U street. I can't wait to return this week and try the seafood w/pesto dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TimefoodieVIPDined on 8/23/2014Ulah has a great brunch deal! I love going here to catch up with friends over bottomless mimosas. Not the best quality but $30 gets you bottomless mimosas and an entree. Can't go wrong there!Special Features:
- Love this place!DCdinerVIPDined on 8/2/2014Everything I've had here has been exceptional! They allow dogs on the patio, have great accommodating service and the brunch and dinner are so good. We had a large group last time and everyone loved the food and the prices! Definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family Brunchchea395Dined on 7/26/2014This place was great for a lunch with my girlfriend and our sets of parents.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Bottomless Brunch!semogeDined on 7/26/2014Our food came out in no time and the drinks kept coming!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch!DiningDivaDined on 7/19/2014We really enjoyed our food and the service was great!Special Features:
- Service and FoodAndrewDined on 7/17/2014The service was excellent and so was the food. Great variety to pick from and our party of 10 had nothing bad to say about what they had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/13/2014Good food and great service! Directly across the street from the Lincoln Theater.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchfoodieVIPDined on 7/13/2014Started off rocky but once we got relocated to a better table we had a lot of fun. Our waitress was amazing and she kept the mimosas flowing with a sense of humor. Really enjoyed the home fries. Will come again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Visit Was Very GoodVannVIPDined on 7/12/2014Had dinner before a show at the Lincoln Theater. The rockfish special was outstanding (I am sort of a rockfish snob); it was accompanied with a light saffron asparagus risotto. My wife had the short rib and ribbon pasta dish it was also very good. We shared a gelato desert. In contrast to some of the comments I've read here, the service was attentive and prompt. Definitely a keeper.
- Good food and servicedcprezDined on 7/11/2014First time dining here, picked it due to it's proximity to the Lincoln Theater - grilled octopus small plate was delicious - probably the best grilled octopus I've had. Braised short ribs were quite tasty. Attentive service as well. I'd definitely return.
- Bottomless Mimosas & BrunchVa2CaDined on 7/5/2014I always enjoy brunch at Ulah, the food portions are perfect, and you can't go wrong with the bottomless mimosas. Making my reservation was easy and seamless, and the hostesses were able to find us a great table outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Go-To for Nice DiningDMVFoodieDined on 6/30/2014I've been to Ulah multiple times, so didn't want to come for my birthday because I wanted to try something different. The restaurant's convenience ultimately made our decision. I don't regret it at all. The food was wonderful and the staff accommodated my group well, and ultimately made my birthday special. I Highly recommend it!Special Features:
- Horrible ServiceallthefoodDined on 6/28/2014Everything started out wonderfully with our waiter, but by the end of the meal we were lucky to grab his attention at all. First, he pulled the "spring or sparkling" trick, which none of the other waiters were doing. Be sure to ask for tap if you're given that question. We waited for 30 min after our waters were delivered for him to come and take our drink orders and another 20 after drinks were delivered for him to check back on food. Food choices were interesting, and the food itself was tasty, but the service soured that for us.Special Features:
- Food and WaiterPink1986Dined on 6/28/2014The food was yummy. I loved everything. The portions were great. The waiter was great as well. I like to go to places and receive great food and great service. I will be back again and again. IT wasn't crowded and I liked that as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SatisfactoryCarolDined on 6/27/2014Ulah Bistro wasn't amazing, but wasn't bad either. It's a solid place with solid food and drinks, and the prices are also good.
- U Street dining in DCpmrthirdVIPDined on 6/23/2014First time at restaurant/bar and enjoyed the food and atmosphere. Ate at the bar and had fantastic service by bartender who catered to everyone. Despite chatting with others, he was always attentive to my needs, great host and service. Had a few appetizers for dinner and was pleased with everything. Happy hour at the bar had food and drink specials and Monday night offered a 3 course for $19.95 as well as half off bottles of wine. If I had the appetite, I would have like to enjoy them so I will have to come back on a Monday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent, good food, great staffMichaelDined on 6/20/2014Ula is a great place to grab a bite in the neighborhood. It's right next to a Metro station so it's a great place to schedule a meet up. One suggestion, If you want to have a nice quiet conversation, sit downstairs. Once the bar music is up, it's hard to have a meal there with someone. I usually request a table downstairs and have always been accommodated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bottomless Brunch!DecadentDinerVIPDined on 6/15/2014OK, the service was poor - our waiter disappeared for 30 minute increments at a time. The food was alright. The bottomless mimosas/bloody mary's however, totally hit the spot! I was hungover by dinner time. Good time!Special Features:
- Pretty, but...terrypVIPDined on 6/10/2014Things were promising when they brought the Hendrick's, basil, simple syrup, and cucumber martini...nicely done. I ordered a small plate of charred octopus with cannellini beans, followed by a seared Ahi tuna salad. Both dishes were very pretty, and here's the "but" -- both were surprisingly devoid of flavor. No taste of char for the octopus, which came with three different sauces, none of which had any character. I couldn't even identify what they were trying to be. The tuna, crusted with sesame seeds, was equally bland, and the orange ginger dressing on the salad was underwhelming. The roasted beets that came with it tasted, well, like beets. That's pretty much it. Nothing wrong here, mind you, and prices are reasonable, but ...
- This Visit Missed the MarkOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/8/2014I'm typically a fan of Ulah Bistro, but this visit missed the mark. The food was acceptable, but it was entirely too loud! There was a huge group having brunch, and they spent the majority of the time screaming at one another. The restaurant staff did nothing to quiet them down, and it was a huge distraction to all other patrons trying to have a nice meal.
- Food sub-par, service was dismalOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/1/2014Burnt chicken sandwich, food came in under 5 minutes (pre-prepared?) and service was non-existent. Would not recommend for the price!Special Features:
- UlahKimAVIPDined on 5/31/2014Ulah did not disappoint! Service and food are great! Perfect location on U street with huge patio! Great fish tacos and crabcakes! Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not good for a special mealOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/11/2014We went on Mother's Day because Ulah is convenient to part of our family. Several of the main dishes were disappointing. The tuna was a poor cut of tuna, and almost inedible, although the sides on the plate were ok. We were seated right under a blower and the A/C was blowing down on us hard although the front door was open and we would have been comfortable otherwise. The staff turned it off, then on again when customers in the back complained about the heat. Probably best to eat outside if possible.
- Great for Casual DiningKimHDined on 5/10/2014I came to Ulah Bistro for the first time with some friends from out of town. We shared a delicious fruit and cheese platter, and I split a pizza with my boyfriend. I had an enjoyable experience, and I'm definitely coming back. It is close to a metro stop, which makes it convenient to get to but not the best view if you're near the window. Overall, I had a really nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not ideal for brunchgirlsdinnerDined on 5/4/2014I'd been to Ulah for dinner before and thought it was fine. However, brunch was terrible. I made a reservation for a party of 10. They gave away our table and ended up putting together some makeshift solution in the upstairs room right next to the jazz band. It was extremely loud and we couldn't even talk to each other without screaming. At no point did anyone from the restaurant come to apologize for the mishap or even acknowledge that they screwed up. And to top it off, the food was not that good. I will not be recommending this place to anyone in the near future.
- The following 928 reviews are from the Ulah Bistro reviews archive.
- Great for a Pre-Show Dinner/DrinksDCLiveWorkPlayVIPDined on 4/29/2014We chose this restaurant first by it's proximity to Lincoln Theater and then by the menu we saw online. The food was delicious and well-priced and the all the staff - from the hostess and the wait staff to the manager and bartender. For those with tickets for Lincoln Theater, the bartender makes a point of playing the scheduled artist's music which was a nice touch.
- very flexible and accommodating!KMac8Dined on 4/26/2014I had to change the reservation time and group size twice on the same day and then most of my group was still late, 2 extra people showed up, and they didn't hesitate to accommodate us! The biggest challenge in DC is that it's very hard to spontaneously decide to go anywhere on the same day--that is, you have to book reservations well in advance or wait for an extended period of time to get a table somewhere. I couldn't get over the fact that I could get a reservation the same day and again, that they weren't annoyed that we were late--or that we lingered well after the bill was paid. It's a great place with tasty food and great service--and definitely great for groups!Special Features:
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2014Huveos Rancheros were epic. Great food, fast service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uncomfrotably noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/12/2014The food was fine, the decor is really cute, but the music made it feel more like a club than a brunch place. It was impossible to hear anyone - my husband who was across the table, the server - I couldn't enjoy the food through the blasting club music. And it seemed to be the same throughout the restaurant and even outside. I asked the staff to turn it down, which they did, but it was still just too loud for a nice Sunday brunch. It's really too bad - the place has potential but I would not come back.
- BrunchYanaDined on 4/12/2014The service was excellent, and the "bottomless drinks" was A REAL THING! I don't think I ever saw the bottom of my glass.Special Features:
- NICE BISTRO ON U STREET1KTravelerVIPDined on 4/11/2014i generally visit Ulah Bistro whenever I'm in DC. The food is very good and well presented. Service, particularly by my favorite bartender upstairs is warm, attentive and always efficient. I'd recommend Ulah Bistro as a solid, reliable dining option on U Street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise level upstairs was high.RileyDined on 4/5/2014Noise level upstairs was high. I had a reservation and when I arrived they only had the table right next to the front door. I asked to wait for another. We got one upstairs fairly quickly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great never-empty mimosasBrunchDealConnoisseurDined on 4/5/2014Used a TravelZoo deal for brunch for 2 and unlimited drinks. Our glasses were never empty; They filled up a 2/3 full glass to the brim! Food was quite tasty with good options like breakfast sandwiches and nutella croissants. The service was great as they let us hang out for about 3 hours and never pushed us with the bill. Good food, great service, and if it was warmer we would have done the shaded outdoor seating. Definitely a great brunch spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great staple on U Street CorridorTCLDCDined on 4/4/2014Food was tasty and service was attentive. Good place to meet friends for dinner.Special Features:
- Limited menu and poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/29/2014When we first arrived for out 5:45 reservation we were told we must be done with dinner by 8pm. Once seated the roof began leaking onto the menus. We had to wait to be seated at another table. Which cut into our dining time. After looking over the limited menu most of the group ordered small plates. Some of the food arrived under cooked. Once we received the bill we had countless issues. We finally completed payment and once we got to the door the server demanded an additional tip. Needless to say this was my first and last visit to Ulah.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/29/2014We had brunch at the Ulah and the service and the food were excellent. My wife has limited mobility and we were a little late for our reservation, but the staff graciously accomadated us. We loved the brunch selections and the bloody marys.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- leaky roofbrunchbabeDined on 3/29/2014My friend and I were seated near the leaky roof on the top floor. We told management but they shrugged it off and acted as if it wasn't a big deal. It was a bit crowded upstairs and there was only 1 waiter for all parties. A big party arrived shortly after my friend and I consequently our waitor disappeared for about 30 minutes as he was tending to the bigger party. The french toast and mimosa's were good. I would go back to try other menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good go-to for brunch with groupsStephanieSDined on 3/23/2014Ulah tends to be a good go-to for brunch particularly with out-of-town guests or picky eaters. We can usually make reservations only a few days before and are seated immediately upon arrival. The location is also nice-- just across from the Lincoln Theater and Ben's Chili Bowl-- making it a nice mini history tour as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Place to EatAlwaysNYCDined on 3/22/2014I took my family to Ulah and we had a good time. I was a little miffed that they decided to seat us by the door. I could have declined but it was a busy Saturday night, after 9pm, and we wanted to eat. I would have preferred knowing they intended to seat us at the door and to have been asked if that was ok. Anyways, the food was good, plentiful and the wait staff was attentive. Waiter had trouble getting the temperature of my husband's espresso just right — it was scalding. I'd visit again, but definitely not sit by the door and not order espresso.Special Features: