1214 U Street, NW
Washington, DC 20009Neighborhood:
U Street Corridor
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ulahbistro.com/
- Phone: 2022340123
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Thursday 11am to 2am Friday 11am to 3am Saturday 10am to 3am Sunday 10am to 2am Kitchen open until 1 hour before close. Brunch: every Saturday and Sunday 10am to 3pm We are right by the U street metro!
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: Enjoy Karaoke, Live Music, and Dancing throughout the week at Ulah Bistro. Scheduled events are posted on our website. Please feel free to call the restaurant for more details.
- Special Events: Monday Nights: 1/2 Price Bottles of Wine & $19.95 3-Course Prefixe Menu Tuesday Nights: $19.95 3-Course Prefixe Menu
A word from Ulah Bistro
Ulah Bistro will tantalize your taste buds with delectable American cuisine, such as fresh brick oven pizza, at our bistro in Washington DC. Ulah Bistro offers a wide variety of modern American cuisine for both dine-in and take out. Our experienced chefs prepare all of our foods fresh daily, and we utilize more than 20 years of experience to bring you delicious food, excellent service, and a good time! Ulah Bistro is pleased to announce our restaurant policy. Parties of six or more, one large check that may be split up over six different credit cards or cash payments. Parties of six or more, we will hold a table for no more than 20 minutes past your reservation time. The majority of the group must be present in order to be seated. Walk-ins are always welcome. We have two excellent bars for waiting and for full service dinner. We seat complete parties on the first come first serve basis.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ulah Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
84 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (47)neighborhood gem (31)fit for foodies (26)great for outdoor dining (25)good for groups (21)great for lunch (18)hot spot (10)late-night find (9)special occasion (9)vibrant bar scene (6)romantic (6)kid-friendly (4)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Good food, poor servicerlambert2721VIPDined on 10/19/2014The food at Ulah Bistro is consistently good but the service is very hit or miss. This time it was a big miss. The server was slow, inattentive and very disorganized. He spilled water all over out table than left it. About 5 minutes later someone came to mop the floor where he had spilled but no one ever cleaned off the water off the table. Food came out slow and the table beside us that had sat down after us got their food before us.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/17/2014Ordered a salad with tuna cooked well and the dressing on the side. Got rare tuna and a salad smothered in dressing. Not very good listeners, altho I do believe well-intentioned.
- Nice place to hang outDCNewbieDined on 10/11/2014A group of friends decided to try this place and we were not disappointed. The food was good and the wait staff was very attentive. We had drinks during dinner and the cucumber basil martini was very nice. Although it isn't the quietest place, we hung out for a bit after dinner having another drink and could talk with no problems.Special Features:
- Outstanding Service!MekoskitchenDined on 9/28/2014The staff was attentive, energetic, and the environment was relaxing.Special Features:
- Always goodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/28/2014My meal was not the best this time (eggs overcooked, bacon had to send back for further cooking)but everyone else enjoyed theirs and since they were my guests, that is more important!Special Features:
- diner from NoVAOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 9/27/2014Three diners, all different tastes, entree types. Very good ratings from all; mine was a bit saltier than I would have preferred, but personal tastes. We had order two appetizers but only one made it out; however, with the serving sizes, better to have missed it. Delivery of the food was a bit "confused" - great servers, attitudes, but the delivery was a little awkward. Will we go to Ulah again? Definitely.Special Features:
- Nice!eatinoutDined on 9/27/2014Took a book and full advantage of their bottomless drinks at brunch. I actually ordered way too much food, with the fruit & cheese platter PLUS the smoked salmon platter, and bottomless Bloody Marys. The food was excellent, and the drinks outstanding, oddly up until the last, which was very heavy on the Tabasco. It was replaced quickly by one with less. So with all that food, I never felt rushed, and sat through 5 or 6 drinks, nibbling at my platters for at least an hour and half. The service was attentive without feeling invasive, which is how it should be. I'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- September lunchPJRspecialsDined on 9/27/2014We had a delightful brunch with very good service. The only distraction was the number of TVs carrying different college football games but fortunately no sound.Special Features:
- Great MenuSLGDCDined on 9/20/2014But not so well executed! The service was good, the menu was really nice, with some different brunch options (and didn't expect Brunch on Saturday but it was a nice surprise). My eggs benedict were perfectly cooked, perfect amount of runny yolk, but the plates were cold, and since we were eating outside, the food became cold almost immediately. The roasted potatos were great - crispy, not too rich. The French Toast looked great that my father ordered, but we all had cold food almost right away! Try just a LITTLE bit harder - warm up the plates - it's worth it!Special Features:
- High EnergyAliceNoVaVIPDined on 9/13/2014We had Travel Zoo coupons for brunch which were an excellent deal. Although we arrived early, the hostess was most accommodating and happy to seat us. Our waiter was excellent and the food very good. Something to consider: the noise level was VERY loud -- even at 1PM one could hardly hear oneself think. The only improvement I would suggest: for the brunch deals, it would be great if (house) wine could be substituted for the Bloody Mary / Mimosa choice currently given. I chose Bloody Mary even though I am not a cocktail drinker and consequently enjoyed the meal less than I could have. Also, the Bloody Mary had no alcohol in it that I could discern. A small adjustment that would make your wine-drinkers happy :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very observantJGNMDined on 9/13/2014The server took notice of her customers needs. She was very quick and constantly refilling the bottomless bloody Mary's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfuldcdinerVIPDined on 9/6/2014I had another great experience here yesterday. Refills on sodas were given quickly and a lot of attention was paid to our table. We had to wait for some people running late and they replaced the bread basket which was a nice extra touch. Great quality service, good food, and reasonable pricing. I will definitely recommend this place!Special Features:
- Wonderful brunchLovebrunchesDined on 9/6/2014My girlfriends and I had brunch along with my travelzoo coupon. Nina, our server was very attentive and wonderful. Our time at the restuarant was wonderful. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy BrunchRoskyDined on 8/31/2014The food was very tasty. I had the Crab and Brie omelet and the side of home fries. The homefries were delicious, I wish the cook wasn't so stingy :) We ordered a side of pancakes and they too were delicious and fluffy. Our server was very friendly. I arrived earlier than the rest of my party and while I waited she made sure all was well with me. She was very attentive. My overall experience was great. I'll definitely be back and will recommend Ulah Bistro to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Price, But Too LoudOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014I liked Ulah Bistro. Good little spot, nice ambiance, but you sit way too close to your neighbors and it was sooo incredibly loud I had to scream just to talk to my boyfriend sitting directly across from me. Plus, there was some kind of jazz band playing upstairs, which could have been nice if it wasn't for cheap drinks and loud women singing along to Stevie Wonder songs. If you're looking for pretty good food, great price for bottomless drinks, and somewhere energetic, this is the place for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just what we needed for brunch!SammyDVIPDined on 8/30/2014We really enjoyed Ulah Bistro. I was able to make a reservation online easily that morning, and we were seated immediately upon on arriving, unlike some other all you can drink brunch locations. We were able to choose between bloody Mary's and mimosas, and I really enjoyed the bloody Mary's, good spice, and not watered down. I had the steak and eggs, and the steak was a little bland, but a bit of steak sauce and i was good to go. The potatoes were excellent the eggs were cooked just right. Service was very good and we were really able to take advantage of the unlimited drink option. The food did come very quickly, which is great, but if you're looking for a lingering start to your brunch, you may want to wait to order!Special Features:
- Ulah and U Street always deliversMaxxVIPDined on 8/23/2014I have been to this restaurant several times and each time it's a great experience. The food, the service, the atmosphere. A moment of sanity on busy U street. I can't wait to return this week and try the seafood w/pesto dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TimefoodieVIPDined on 8/23/2014Ulah has a great brunch deal! I love going here to catch up with friends over bottomless mimosas. Not the best quality but $30 gets you bottomless mimosas and an entree. Can't go wrong there!Special Features:
- Love this place!DCdinerVIPDined on 8/2/2014Everything I've had here has been exceptional! They allow dogs on the patio, have great accommodating service and the brunch and dinner are so good. We had a large group last time and everyone loved the food and the prices! Definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family Brunchchea395Dined on 7/26/2014This place was great for a lunch with my girlfriend and our sets of parents.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Bottomless Brunch!semogeDined on 7/26/2014Our food came out in no time and the drinks kept coming!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch!DiningDivaDined on 7/19/2014We really enjoyed our food and the service was great!Special Features:
- Service and FoodAndrewDined on 7/17/2014The service was excellent and so was the food. Great variety to pick from and our party of 10 had nothing bad to say about what they had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/13/2014Good food and great service! Directly across the street from the Lincoln Theater.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchfoodieVIPDined on 7/13/2014Started off rocky but once we got relocated to a better table we had a lot of fun. Our waitress was amazing and she kept the mimosas flowing with a sense of humor. Really enjoyed the home fries. Will come again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Visit Was Very GoodVannVIPDined on 7/12/2014Had dinner before a show at the Lincoln Theater. The rockfish special was outstanding (I am sort of a rockfish snob); it was accompanied with a light saffron asparagus risotto. My wife had the short rib and ribbon pasta dish it was also very good. We shared a gelato desert. In contrast to some of the comments I've read here, the service was attentive and prompt. Definitely a keeper.
- Good food and servicedcprezDined on 7/11/2014First time dining here, picked it due to it's proximity to the Lincoln Theater - grilled octopus small plate was delicious - probably the best grilled octopus I've had. Braised short ribs were quite tasty. Attentive service as well. I'd definitely return.
- Bottomless Mimosas & BrunchVa2CaDined on 7/5/2014I always enjoy brunch at Ulah, the food portions are perfect, and you can't go wrong with the bottomless mimosas. Making my reservation was easy and seamless, and the hostesses were able to find us a great table outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Go-To for Nice DiningDMVFoodieDined on 6/30/2014I've been to Ulah multiple times, so didn't want to come for my birthday because I wanted to try something different. The restaurant's convenience ultimately made our decision. I don't regret it at all. The food was wonderful and the staff accommodated my group well, and ultimately made my birthday special. I Highly recommend it!Special Features:
- Horrible ServiceallthefoodDined on 6/28/2014Everything started out wonderfully with our waiter, but by the end of the meal we were lucky to grab his attention at all. First, he pulled the "spring or sparkling" trick, which none of the other waiters were doing. Be sure to ask for tap if you're given that question. We waited for 30 min after our waters were delivered for him to come and take our drink orders and another 20 after drinks were delivered for him to check back on food. Food choices were interesting, and the food itself was tasty, but the service soured that for us.Special Features:
- Food and WaiterPink1986Dined on 6/28/2014The food was yummy. I loved everything. The portions were great. The waiter was great as well. I like to go to places and receive great food and great service. I will be back again and again. IT wasn't crowded and I liked that as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SatisfactoryCarolDined on 6/27/2014Ulah Bistro wasn't amazing, but wasn't bad either. It's a solid place with solid food and drinks, and the prices are also good.
- The following 939 reviews are from the Ulah Bistro reviews archive.
- U Street dining in DCpmrthirdVIPDined on 6/23/2014First time at restaurant/bar and enjoyed the food and atmosphere. Ate at the bar and had fantastic service by bartender who catered to everyone. Despite chatting with others, he was always attentive to my needs, great host and service. Had a few appetizers for dinner and was pleased with everything. Happy hour at the bar had food and drink specials and Monday night offered a 3 course for $19.95 as well as half off bottles of wine. If I had the appetite, I would have like to enjoy them so I will have to come back on a Monday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent, good food, great staffMichaelDined on 6/20/2014Ula is a great place to grab a bite in the neighborhood. It's right next to a Metro station so it's a great place to schedule a meet up. One suggestion, If you want to have a nice quiet conversation, sit downstairs. Once the bar music is up, it's hard to have a meal there with someone. I usually request a table downstairs and have always been accommodated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bottomless Brunch!DecadentDinerVIPDined on 6/15/2014OK, the service was poor - our waiter disappeared for 30 minute increments at a time. The food was alright. The bottomless mimosas/bloody mary's however, totally hit the spot! I was hungover by dinner time. Good time!Special Features:
- Pretty, but...terrypVIPDined on 6/10/2014Things were promising when they brought the Hendrick's, basil, simple syrup, and cucumber martini...nicely done. I ordered a small plate of charred octopus with cannellini beans, followed by a seared Ahi tuna salad. Both dishes were very pretty, and here's the "but" -- both were surprisingly devoid of flavor. No taste of char for the octopus, which came with three different sauces, none of which had any character. I couldn't even identify what they were trying to be. The tuna, crusted with sesame seeds, was equally bland, and the orange ginger dressing on the salad was underwhelming. The roasted beets that came with it tasted, well, like beets. That's pretty much it. Nothing wrong here, mind you, and prices are reasonable, but ...
- This Visit Missed the MarkOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/8/2014I'm typically a fan of Ulah Bistro, but this visit missed the mark. The food was acceptable, but it was entirely too loud! There was a huge group having brunch, and they spent the majority of the time screaming at one another. The restaurant staff did nothing to quiet them down, and it was a huge distraction to all other patrons trying to have a nice meal.
- Food sub-par, service was dismalOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/1/2014Burnt chicken sandwich, food came in under 5 minutes (pre-prepared?) and service was non-existent. Would not recommend for the price!Special Features:
- UlahKimAVIPDined on 5/31/2014Ulah did not disappoint! Service and food are great! Perfect location on U street with huge patio! Great fish tacos and crabcakes! Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not good for a special mealOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/11/2014We went on Mother's Day because Ulah is convenient to part of our family. Several of the main dishes were disappointing. The tuna was a poor cut of tuna, and almost inedible, although the sides on the plate were ok. We were seated right under a blower and the A/C was blowing down on us hard although the front door was open and we would have been comfortable otherwise. The staff turned it off, then on again when customers in the back complained about the heat. Probably best to eat outside if possible.