1059 W Belmont
Chicago, IL 60657Neighborhood:
Lakeview / East Lakeview
SushiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ukaichicago.com/
- Phone: 7738689900
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, International
- Executive Chef: Paul Chant
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Non-Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from Ukai Sushi
Chicagoans in search of a unique BYOB dining experience have found their new destination at Ukai Japanese Restaurant. Executive Chef Paul Chant, is the mastermind of the small tapas plates appearing from Ukai's hot kitchen. With influences from around the globe, Chant has constructed an eclectic array of plates such as an Heirloom tomato Salad with fresh mozzerella, capers, olives and dates with a homemade pesto; deconstructed Mushuu Duck buns with sous vide duck breast, cucumber caviar and cherry-port reduction; and seared Hanger Steak with roasted bell peppers, fried okra and crispy onion rings. Behind the steel and bamboo clad sushi bar, Chef and Co-Owner Choong J. shines with an array of fresh fish, delivered daily to the new northside restaurant. A selection of specialty maki rolls "dedicated to all Chicago sports fans" showcases rolls such as the Cubs Roll with fresh mozzerella, avocado, unagi and shrimp tempura, lightly fired in a tempura batter.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ukai Sushi reviews from OpenTable diners
10 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (5)neighborhood gem (5)fit for foodies (4)romantic (4)special occasion (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Good experienceLordPistyDined on 9/27/2014Service and food was good, ambient was very quiet and pleasant.Special Features:
- The following 85 reviews are from the Ukai Sushi reviews archive.
- Yummy!MargieVIPDined on 6/7/2014This is one of my favorite sushi spots. The service is always great, the food is delicious and you can't go wrong that it's a BYOB!Special Features:
- Good sushiEvspsDined on 5/15/2014Reasonably priced and very good, byob is always a plus, and the service was good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good affordable sushiChihecdinerDined on 4/27/2014Very affordable for a sushi restaurant and it is pretty good. Service is lacking, they try to rush you and they dont give any food suggestionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab and fresh fish!FinafoodieDined on 4/7/2014It's a teeny bit pricey for the platters, I had a sashimi platter and it doesn't include anything, so ala carte. And I do like a miso soup with it, BUT the platter and the rolls were so, so good, we didn't quibble about an ala carte platter. The servers were very nice, helpful and they have lovely wine glasses for your BYOB wine.....did I say BYOB? Yes, I did!!! With no corkage fee. The interior is very sleek, but comfy and I like that they have windows throughout so you can observe the passersby. It's in my hood, so I shall be spending more time there. I was really taken by the quality of the sashimi and the rolls we had were scrumptious. Go, go, go for fresh, fresh, fresh...and I'm picky!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Repeat VisitorKRVTDined on 4/5/2014I've been to Ukai a handful of times -- mostly with large groups of people and we are always accommodated so well. This past visit I went with my mother pretty early in the evening -- it was still light out -- and it was nice but lacked the ambiance and buzz that's really wonderful later in the evening at this spot. Food was delicious as always. I'm never disappointed by the sushi. Love that it's BYOB, but if you decide not to go that route, the hot teas are delicious too :)Special Features:
- Good food. They were busyVazyDined on 3/14/2014Good food. They were busy and had forgotten our appetizer. But when we got it, delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best rolls in ChicagoKirilVIPDined on 2/23/2014I have been going to Ukai for the past several years, and after visiting it I was forever spoiled for other Japanese restaurants, because none match the imaginative and tasty rolls that Ukai has, for a very, very low cost compared to other places! When in doubt where to go, I go to Ukai without a second thought - and you should, too! Try the Belinari roll!Special Features:
- Sushi Amazing! BYOB w No CorkageOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/31/2014Sushi Amazing! BYOB w No Corkage Fee Amazing! Service was ok. My date and I were trying to have conversation and the waiters kept coming and asking if we were ready to order after telling them multiple times, we will let you know when we're ready, as we ordered an ap.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't go wrong with BYOB sushiMeredithDined on 1/24/2014Especially at Ukai. The rolls are fresh and the service is great. My favorite roll is the crunch spicy tuna. It's awesome.Special Features:
- place was not open for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/22/2014place was not open for lunch that day as per reservation. can't really rate but did for required fields
- We were seated at a tableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/17/2014We were seated at a table right in front of the door. As you know the weather has been freezing and every time the door was opened we froze. We didn't take our coats off the entire meal.
- The good and the horribleOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 9/20/2013Food was very good,service OK, and ambiance horrible as they had an atrocious/loud sound track playing. Won't go back in spite of the food due to having to yell over the horrible music, maybe this will sink in to a ton of restaurants soon! Again, won't recommend to friends due to the bad ambiance, get it!?!?
- favzachDined on 9/13/2013ukai is one of the best sushi restaurants in the city, in my humble opinion. great vibe, byob with no corking fee, tons of variety on the menu, and the whole right-hand column of sushi on the menu (belinary, cubs, etc) is the best bang for buck you can find, hands down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!RownerDined on 7/31/2013Great Sushi! Very unique rolls! Next time in Chicago will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cream Cheese SushiSOULMUSICDined on 6/8/2013The platters were good but the Chicago sports team themed rolls were fantastic. Try any roll with cream cheese omg!Special Features:
- Intimate find in noisy neighborhoodGypsyFoodieVIPDined on 6/8/2013Belmont is not an area I like to go for dinner -- too noisy & tattooed for my taste. So Ukai was a pleasant surprise. Very good sushi at fair prices. With great service. BYOB will be a plus for us next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BYO gem in Lakeview/BoystownBYOenthusiastDined on 5/17/2013Fun Japanese restaurant with non-sushi items for your friends who may not enjoy fishSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi at a reasonable priceAnneMarieVIPDined on 5/12/2013The sushi was very good at a reasonable price, and it's a BYOB restaurant. I will be back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just a nice sushi spot. NotPinzVIPDined on 4/22/2013Just a nice sushi spot. Not amazing sushi, but not bad. Its good and located in a nice spot, nice decor.Special Features:
- We loved Ukai. Byob, and greatMeredithDined on 4/13/2013We loved Ukai. Byob, and great sushi! I came with 3 others and we had a great time. We ordered 5 rolles. Our favorites were the Double Crunch and the Crunchy Spicy Tuna. The Viva Chicago was also very yummy. We brought BYOB saki bombs and the watresses brought us our own plastic shot glasses! We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- A little too loud and a littleMarcoloco13Dined on 4/12/2013A little too loud and a little too dark for having black menus, but otherwise a great experience.Special Features:
- yum.ALoCiceroVIPDined on 3/8/2013This is the place for delicious, inexpensive, well made sushi. And it's BYOB, does it get any better than that? Try one of the signature Chicago rolls.Special Features:
- We were referred here by aOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/23/2013We were referred here by a friend and were very happy with our experience. The wait staff was absolutely wonderful. The food was fantastic. We will most definitely be back!Special Features:
- This is the 3rd time I'veOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/9/2013This is the 3rd time I've been to Ukai in the last 2 months. The food has been great everytime I've been there. I really can't say I've had anything I didn't love. I'm not sure how long the restaurant has been here but it's one of my new favorites! I'll definitely suggest to friends.Special Features:
- My friend and I had our birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/5/2013My friend and I had our birthday dinner here with about 15 people total. While I wouldn't say the restaurant is totally ideal for a big party, it is doable and the staff made sure we were all set up (definitely need to make a reservation for a big group). The food was absolutely delicious and not too pricey, BYOB and no corkage fee topped it off! I will definitely go back for date night or with a group of friends.Special Features:
- We got a table between theOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/4/2013We got a table between the door and the kitchen so froze and witnessed/heard everything going on in the prep area. Their rolls lack variety and are just ok. Fortunately we like tuna, but there was not a traditional dragon or unagi roll and the only roll with crab was the california. A wine stand at another table broke resulting in my coat getting soaked. Rather than telling me that water was seeping across the floor(I was 2 tables away), they proceeded to mop the floor and my coat so it was covered in both ice and mop water. I received no apology for this. There are too many good sushi restaurants in Chicago to bother returning here.
- Great food and a very largeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/16/2012Great food and a very large menu with many options. Liked that it is BYOB with no fee. Bulls roll and Veggie roll were what I had but also heard rave reviews about the Cubs roll and everything else out table ordered.Special Features:
- We made our reservation atPugnaciousVIPDined on 10/13/2012We made our reservation at Ukai Sushi before seeing a play down the street. We ordered several pretty traditional rolls: Godzilla, Ukai Dynamite, and a fried asparagus crab roll. Every one of them was done perfectly and tasted really fresh. We also got a bowl of pork ramen soup which I could have passed on, but then again I'm not a big fan of miso based broths. The byob (wine) aspect of the restaurant is really nice, but there's also traditional teas and soft drinks to order.Special Features:
- If you're looking for BYOB sushi...OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/10/2012Ukai is hands down the best BYOB sushi place in Chicago. They have great rolls, friendly service and no corkage for BYOB. It's great for groups as they take up to 6 credit cards per bill and separate by person... Unheard of in the city. Add to that the good ambiance and location close to a major train stop and you have one of the best locations to frequent. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Ukai's sushi is almost over-priced,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/8/2012Ukai's sushi is almost over-priced, but the rolls are HUGE! Best sushi in Lakeview/Wrigleyville. Hands down. Oh yeah, and it's BYOB. The Cubs roll is the best!Special Features:
- Wonderful restaurant! sashimiIbjimenezVIPDined on 9/1/2012Wonderful restaurant! sashimi was amazing! it is not the usual sushi place. You should try it! it will fit foodies, but at the same time, it will fit you if you are not that into sushi. Salads are wonderful, service impecable, and ambience relaxing and romantic. In sum, a great gem.Special Features:
- M ade a reservation and metOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/27/2012M ade a reservation and met a girlfriend on a Monday. My friend was running quite late so after calling Ukai, I went ahead to wait so they knew we weren't bailing. Since it wasn't busy, they went ahead and sat me and opened my wine. I live nearby and get take-out fairly often, but the sushi was just SO good that night. Maybe I'll start dining at the sushi bar instead of getting take-out next time! Very kind staff - always friendly!Special Features:
- This place was great. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/11/2012This place was great. The food was outstanding and the service was attentive and nice. The ambiance was very chic and modern but warm and invitiing. I'd highly recommend this to anyone and intend on going back. Another great perk: It's BYOB.Special Features:
- Great Sushi & PresentationChicagoGirl10Dined on 7/14/2012Great place! My second time here and I will keep going. Great that it's BYOB and I love the wide variety on the menu. I looove sushi, however there are a lot of items for my non-sushi loving friends.Special Features:
- We've dined at Ukay SushiWindyCityGuyDined on 7/14/2012We've dined at Ukay Sushi several times and we've always had great service and great food. Their sushi is always super fresh and they have creative menu choices.Special Features:
- Hidden gem in Lakeview!GastroPubLVrVIPDined on 7/14/2012Excellent sushi rolls and very competitive prices.
- Food is fantastic - one ofOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/6/2012Food is fantastic - one of my favorite sushi places! It's BYOB which helps your pocket book!Special Features:
- This was my third visit toaschwachDined on 7/2/2012This was my third visit to Ukai and it did not disappoint. Food was delicious, service was excellent, and they were very accommodating.
- Just ok for sushi. The rollsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/30/2012Just ok for sushi. The rolls all seemed like they had too many types of fish (3 in most of them), which made them pretty hard to eat. Typical BYO sushi place, wouldn't necessarily go back.