1140 Main Street
Napa, CA 94558Neighborhood:
OrganicPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ubuntunapa.com/
- Phone: 7072515656
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Saturday & Sunday 11:30am - 2:30pm Dinner: Open Thursday through Monday 5:30-8:30 (closed Tuesdays and Wednesday) Winter Sabbatical begins November 21st to re-open in the Spring.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Vegetarian / Vegan
- Executive Chef: Aaron London
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: We can accomdate parties up to 18 at our community table. We also have a private room that can serve parties up to 12. Please call for details
- Private Party Contact: Nicole Madden 7072515656
A word from Ubuntu Napa
Ubuntu's food is primarily grown in our own gardens, following the principle of biodynamic farming. Biodynamic farmers place high emphasis on healing and supplying the earth with ingredients that encourage regeneration. Our chef Aaron London and his team begin each morning at the gardens, and prepare dishes that bring out the natural flavors of the herbs and vegetables. Ubuntu restaurant is a manifestation of a dream to bring together many of the things that our owner Sandy Lawrence enjoys in the hope that it may benefit others.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ubuntu Napa reviews from OpenTable diners
- wonderful food. this is myOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/20/2011wonderful food. this is my third visit (from Miami Florida) and I enjoyed my dinner with friends.Special Features:
- A dining adventure. Don'tOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/19/2011A dining adventure. Don't have to be vegetarian to enjoy remarkable cusine with finest/freshest ingredients. We had party of 6 and ordered entire menu to share. Wonderful family exprience. WowSpecial Features:
- Food was great, nothing usualhannymaeVIPDined on 11/19/2011Food was great, nothing usual about it - we had a great dinner and fun evening. Thank you!Special Features:
- Consistently creative and flavorfulJenTVIPDined on 11/19/2011Once again, Ubuntu hit dinner out of the park. Even the skeptics in my dinner party were won over by the non-meat menu. The richness and varied flavors and textures of the grains, veg and legumes left us completely satisfied and amazing at the creativity of chef, Aaron. The disappointments came after the main courses were cleared in the slow service and the horrible desserts. I've had a wonderful cheesecake in a jar dessert before (thanks to former pastry chef, Deanie Fox) but this visit I discovered flat, overly contrived dessert dishes attempting to center on Fall root vegetables (carrot, yam, turnip). Still the apps & mains were so amazing that we laughed off the horrible dessert offerings.Special Features:
- Simply the best!1stTimeVisitorVIPDined on 11/19/2011Ubuntu is doing something that no one else (that I know of on the West Coast) is doing, and doing it with style, grace and love. Our 2nd time in 6 months for under a 2 hr. drive and we didn't know they were taking a winter hiatus; what great fortune that we were here on the 2nd to last night before the temporary break. One of the few top 10 on our list and we won't dream of coming to Napa without eating here at least once, knowing there are many great places to dine in the area. Try the tasting menu for full fun and scrumptious surprises. The food is amazingly innovative and tasty, the service attentive and warm, the decor hip yet down to earth. Knowing the food is so healthy is a huge plus. We will patiently wait for the re-opening!Special Features:
- should have at lest one alternativeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/19/2011should have at lest one alternative for non vegetariansSpecial Features:
- An absolute must!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/19/2011Ubuntu exceeded all of my expectations! I would return here in a heartbeat. Everything was marvelous, from the food to the service to the ambiance—I simply cannot wait to return!Special Features:
- Ubuntu is for the consumategreekeatsDined on 11/18/2011Ubuntu is for the consumate foodie. If you are not interested in creative dining, this place is NOT for you. The food is inventive, creative, different, interesting and must be explained. The cost of a meal is on the high side. The staff is wonderful and welcoming.Special Features:
- Very creative use of vegetables.GlutenfreeinDenver1Dined on 11/18/2011Very creative use of vegetables. I love the ambience of the room. Thanks for a great experience.
- Worthy or the StarOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/17/2011Great experience all together. Aaron London and the Ubuntu crew are worthy of their Michelin Star. Can't believe that they are closing for the winter!Special Features:
- I have been looking forwardOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/13/2011I have been looking forward to the opportunity to try this restaurant for years, but was ultimately disappointed with the experience. The kitchen had a handful of misses, which I don't expect from a Michelin-starred restaurant. The Ribollita was served in an awkward dish; though this would have been my favorite course, the dish took away from the quality of the composition. Raw shaved carrots on a rich chocolate dessert was similarly awkward. The carrots were dry and not very sweet, which did not play well with the richness of the cake. I was also disappointed in the service for the table next to ours, which was not informed before the kitchen was to close and was therefor not able to order their full meal.Special Features:
- Amazing vegetarian restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/12/2011Amazing vegetarian restaurant with a sophisticated menu, maybe even a little too much so, but the service, food, and environment were fantastic.Special Features:
- Good experience and will recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/12/2011It will be difficult to understand from the menu exactly what you will be getting on the plate. It is good to discuss with waiter. order dishes as you go along based on your appetite. Food was well prepared and taste was good. For vegetarians it a great because they have lot of choices.Special Features:
- Great match for our wine weekendOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/12/2011Ubuntu was the perfect dinner for a great wine journey day. Not being a fan of vegetarians, we did really enjoy all of the dishes in the tasting menu and came up with the perfect after taste and feeling to have a great sleep and enjoy again our second day in Napa Valley. Service was exceptional, from the highly attentive chef to all the waiters, and took special care of our 9 & 11 daughters who also had a great time. We will surely include it again in our tours in the ValleySpecial Features:
- Completely inventive, allOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/11/2011Completely inventive, all vegetarian food that transcends traditional categories. Out of this world!Special Features:
- Really bad.. These guys needOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/11/2011Really bad.. These guys need to learn how to make veggies taste good!
- I will go back to this gemOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/10/2011I will go back to this gem ! Wonderful place with great food!Special Features:
- It is very hard to have aOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/10/2011It is very hard to have a vegan or vegetarian restaurant and make it a lasting success. I thought the portions were very small in comparison with the prices. The food was tastefully prepared, but this is not a restaurant I would go to on a regular basis.
- Absolutely AMAZING!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/10/2011Ubuntu is absolutely AMAZING!! The food, the service, the setting/atmosphere were excellent. My husband and I are vegetarians and were excited to hear about the highly rated Ubuntu, but the food surpassed our wildest expectations!! We went with the 8-course chef's choice so we could sample everything Ubuntu had to offer. The flavors were tremendous and the presentation simply beautiful! Vegetarian or not, anyone that samples what Ubuntu has to offer will be blown away!Special Features:
- My partner and I enjoyed ourselvesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/5/2011My partner and I enjoyed ourselves Saturday evening. Food was very tasty. Staff was very helpful in explaining dining options and food details. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- A whole new perspective on veggiesRPaulHVIPDined on 11/5/2011Highly creative and flavorful vegetarian fare - though for the price, portion sizes are quite small. Desserts, which also work in vegetables, were lovely but ultimately disappointing when it came to taste. Also, on the night we were there, two desserts on the limited menu incorporated popcorn, which seems oddly repetitive. Service was attentive and helpful when it came to choosing among the unusual main menu offerings.Special Features:
- Best Vegatarian RestaurantStevAVIPDined on 11/5/2011What a great find. The best, most imaginative, creative and delicious vegetarian food. Well worth the trip to NAPA. A wonderful meal that we each enjoyed from start to finish. Service and attitude positive and helpful. Unique tastes that brought a whole new meaning to plant based diet. Each dish was perfect. The dinner there was the high point of our trip and we will return. Good for anyone who wants healthy food well prepared and beautifully presented.Special Features:
- Four of us went to UbuntuOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/5/2011Four of us went to Ubuntu for a Saturday birthday lunch. The wine, a beautiful $100 Pinot Noir, was lovely. Of our four entrees, my carrot-Thai curry milk was beautiful and delicious, although exceedingly lean. The pasta entree as bland, the foccacia stack was pretty but not special in taste, and the fried chickpea stew was uninspiring. The desserts were oddly flavored and lacked satisfying mouthfeel. I certainly appreciate the concept behind the menu, but the flavors just didn't measure up to the Michelin star.
- Innovative cuisine at its bestOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/5/2011The restaurant is filled with light and very open but still romantic. I would have never thought that I could eat in a Michelin-starred restaurant as a vegetarian. Here, I had the opposite problem; I could have eaten everything! I would say that for a couple who had already had breakfast, about three dishes (perhaps four) is plenty to satisfy you for lunch. The menu items may be bewildering, but trust the chefs. We enjoyed all of the dishes we tried: the thai curry carrots were so beautifully prepared and satisfyingly bright, the fried chick peas were light and crispy, the pasta dish's sauce was rich and complemented perfectly by Midnight Moon, and the bean stew was homey, simple, and wonderful.Special Features:
- We did the chefs tasting andROCKDined on 11/4/2011We did the chefs tasting and found that it was too much food that was decent. The food was very overpriced in our experience.
- Loved it! Amazing food, excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/4/2011Loved it! Amazing food, excellent service and the space is lovely. Not too loud, thank goodness. I have already recommended it to others and will return. 2 thumbs way up!Special Features:
- a good vegetarian restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/3/2011a good vegetarian restaurant with both some great dishes and some less good. Some dishes didn't work very well, but others certainly showed why a great meal doesn't have to include fish. Need to work on their wine list and stop serving dishes while all guests aren't in their seat.Special Features:
- Creative, delicious vegetarianOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/30/2011Creative, delicious vegetarian cuisine served by an assuring wait staff eager to please the unadventurous.Special Features:
- Eclectic vegetarian faireOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/29/2011I had tastes of dishes I would have never dreamed of! Rutabaga and maple syrup soup! Here, a vegetarian can order anything from the menu and be pleased! Tastings of superb small distribution wines available as well as a very knowledgeable sommelier.Special Features:
- This is our third visit toOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/29/2011This is our third visit to Ibuntu. We do not plan to return. We chose Ibuntu for a special occasion. Although the staff were great and the food was very creative, overall we found the food to be only fair this time, and with the exception of the ice cream, the rest of the dessert was inedible. We let the staff know but nothing happened, just said "I'm sorry." The mixture of flavors simply didn't work. Also, we were taken aback by how expensive our meal was. To be honest, it was not worth it. Although we've always enjoyed Ibuntu in the past and have provided positive reviews, this time was very disappointing.
- awesome vegetarian cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/28/2011It is a great find for a vegetarian restaurant.I have never had such flavorful dishes in any other vegetarian restaurant.We took the eight course meal and each course was wonderful but the downside is that, it is pricey and I would definitely recommend this for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Very disappointing after havingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/28/2011Very disappointing after having been there when it first opened. Had the 4 course tasting menu with my husband so we had 8 plates to share. Flavors were trying to be impressive, but did not measure up. Bean and pasta dish very salty. No ice in water, and had to ask for bread.....Needs some fine tuning.
- exceptional cuisine with uniqueOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/27/2011exceptional cuisine with unique ingredients, masterfully prepared and very beautifully presentedSpecial Features:
- Very unusual food. Some dishesXXXXVIPDined on 10/27/2011Very unusual food. Some dishes were great and others not so well achieved. Exotic names so I can't remember them. When successful, dishes combined flavor, texture and aesthetics in an interesting way. Others were flat and a disappointment. Definitely creative and a dining experience.Special Features:
- This was my first time backOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/27/2011This was my first time back to Ubuntu since Jeremy Fox and Deanie Hickox left. I was not impressed at all! The food portions seemed smaller and more expensive. While the dishes were still creative, they lacked on flavor and intention. The server was lackluster and disengaging. This restaurant went from being my all time favorite to a middle of the road restaurant.Special Features:
- Not too impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/27/2011My wife and I celebrated her birthday at Ubuntu. First time we were there and not realy knowing what to expect. The restaurant help was great in explaining the menu. My wife is vegetarian and I am not but willing to go along with the Veg. menu. My first impression was that Ubuntu was a nice place however I thought it was a little pricy. I would recommend it for anyone that has never been there. As for me would I go back and my answer would be no. For the amount of $$$ that we spent I could have had a fantastic fillet mignon dinner next door. Sorry to have this type of attitude but to spend over $100.00 + for vegetables was a bit too much. We did bring our own wine and the $20.00 corkage fee I thought was a bit too high as well.Special Features:
- A must try in NapaOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/24/2011Everything is wonderful at Ubuntu, from the service to the atmosphere and especially the food. The service was a bit slow at the start (I really wanted my glass of wine after a long day!) but picked up and flowed wonderfully through the evening. All of the savory courses were phenomenal, and just absolutely delicious. Chef London and team have never failed to impress. The desserts for me personally left a lot to be desired and ended the meal on a unsatisfied note. Though other guests around me seemed to really enjoy their desserts, I just couldn’t understand the concept of the dishes or enjoy them. Overall the evening was fantastic!Special Features:
- I think they should changeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/24/2011I think they should change their name to " The Emperor's New Clothes ". I wanted some little kid to stand up and say " what's wrong with you people ? Just because they got a Michelin star you can't admit that the food costs too much and doesn't taste good and the service is lousy "
- We were extremely disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/24/2011We were extremely disappointed with our meal. My girlfriend is vegetarian, so we were expecting to be impressed. We went for the eight course tasting menu to get the full experience. Unfortunately, the courses were very redundant, mostly cold and salad-like, with the same style of preparation and flavors. Not one course wowed us. At the end we were hoping to get some redemption with the dessert, but that was the worst course of all. I think there was much too much emphasis on presentation rather than taste and progression of courses.
- Would be nice to have moreOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/23/2011Would be nice to have more beverage selections for those who do not drink alcoholSpecial Features: