3221 Donald Douglas Loop South
Santa Monica, CA 90405Neighborhood:
Pan-AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.typhoon.biz/
- Phone: 3103906565
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm
Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Asian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Uniquely set in The Santa Monica Airport with spectacular views of Runways, City, Mountains and Ocean. We offer 3 different private dining areas, indoor and outdoor.(The main dining room, The Eye, The Sky Deck) The upstairs "The Eye" offers an intimate private dining with fireplace for up to 50 people. The main dining room has a built in screen and a HDTV projector.
- Private Party Contact: Jack Griffith 3103906565
- Entertainment: Live Jazz Every Monday and Tuesday Night
A word from Typhoon
TYPHOON serves Pan-Asian cuisine — traditional dishes from South East Asia with an emphasis on family-style service similar to the presentations found throughout Asia. TYPHOON is located on the south side of the Santa Monica Airport on the second floor of the Administration Building at 3221 Donald Douglas Loop South.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Typhoon reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (13)fit for foodies (10)neighborhood gem (9)special occasion (8)good for groups (6)kid-friendly (5)romantic (5)great for brunch (4)great for lunch (4)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (4)hot spot (4)great for outdoor dining (3)notable wine list (2)Show More
- HandsomeBillDined on 10/6/2014Great room for live music and great food and service to match, highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!310lakDined on 9/19/2014Everything was great, especially the catfish. Our service was perfect. Really enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- Great placeDgtlblueDined on 9/1/2014This place was great when it came to the food and the entertainment. I would recommend this place to anybody.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kr8tiv1Dined on 8/17/2014We made the mistake of going before sunset which meant all the shades were drawn and you didn't have a view of the airport- kind of defeats the purpose of eating at an airport. Since i was with kids and the music in the bar/restaurant was quite loud we chose to have dinner upstairs (3rd fl). That means that everything takes much longer as they need to run it upstairs from the downstairs kitchen. The food is mostly entrees and all sides are separate costs. I didn't expect dinner to be cheap. just thought it was pricey for what it was. The portions were decent. My recommendation would be to try out the 2nd floor restaurant, just check out the music schedule in advance.Special Features:
- Great food and entertainmentLASaxmanDined on 8/17/2014I go to Typhoon mainly for the entertainment which is always outstanding, but I always enjoy the food and the service is great.Special Features:
- Elevated culinary experience...TheHotScotDined on 7/25/2014So the first time I came to Typhoon was with a group of friends and we had a blast. We had a large table, right by the window overlooking the air field. Drinks flowed and interesting dishes were consumed. And I thought to myself, 'this would be a great place to bring a date.' Sure enough, I meet a fantastic woman and suggest Typhoon for our first date. Turns out, she actually flies and ended up being a big fan of the place regardless of the obvious aviation. The owner met us at the bar and we got talking, being from Scotland, we ended up having a banter: This next part is for him and his son's trip to Scotland - Leith in Edinburgh for restaurants and a mellow night. Glasgow for a wild time and architecture. The borders for castles. ThanksSpecial Features:
- The following 410 reviews are from the Typhoon reviews archive.
- Great MusicmusicloverDined on 6/23/2014Good food combined with great big band music show with the unusual backdrop of an airport runway! classy experience...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't Ask for a table for TwoJennyPennyVIPDined on 6/15/2014I've been here many times with groups of four or more. The food is delicious and the service is great. My husband and daughter had father's day dinner...I had to opt out at the last minute due to illness. The staff "needed the four top tables for parties with more than just two people" my husband and daughter got stuck at the ONLY two top table - right next to the bathroom. Even though we had reserved a table for three, they were told they would have to wait 45-60 minutes for a non-two-top table. If I had been there would they still have made us wait or crammed three of us at the two top next to the bathroom? r Typhoon is excellent!!! I just would not recommend it for two people on a busy day...unless you are okay next to the bathroom.Special Features:
- Nice view and great Thai food.OCandPSdinerVIPDined on 6/14/2014This is the perfect place to sit back and watch the planes at Santa Monica airport. The food is the real attraction especially if you enjoy Thai food that is prepared well. We had several dishes, each was excellent. The scallops in black bean sauce was a very pleasing choice, as was the Kung pao chicken. Service could have been a little better, as we dinned late, the staff was more focused on their closing work and not checking on our table as much as they should ( especially considering their pricing.). But it was a pleasant dinner overall and we plan to go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/19/2014A 15 piece orchestra in a small venue. fortunately, my wife brought ear plugs. I don't know how anyone can sit in that venue with the decibel level and not be concerned about damage to their hearing. We were able to relocate to a table as far from the orchestra as that small venue would allow, but were still quite uncomfortable with the decibel level. Otherwise all was fine. Would give the experience a strong four out of five.
- GREAT BAND AND FOODOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/17/2014Love the food and Jimbo Ross and the Bodacious Blues Band. Hard to beat pairing!!Special Features:
- New VenuehappyDined on 5/13/2014I've been there twice in two weeks and look forward to returning. Please issue my dining points.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely GreatpoetlandDined on 4/12/2014For the money we spent, I should hope the service was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EntertainmentJazzmanDined on 4/7/2014Typhoon's great food is enhanced with great jazz entertainment on Monday nights. The restaurant is the perfect size for a jazz club that also serves food and the friendly staff serves up an excellent menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food for seafood lovers +swavoryaveryDined on 3/31/2014This place is wonderful if you like seafood and a variety of Asian dishes. They have traditional standards like ramen, pho, and pad thai but they also have a rotating menu of insects that are quite delicious. The waitstaff, greeter, and (I believe) owner are all friendly and more than hospitable. The big band on Monday nights never ceases to amaze and engage the audience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Typhoon and the viewOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/30/2014Love Typhoon and the view of the Santa Monica Airport.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool vibeJo4LADined on 3/25/2014Great food, great drinks, great service,,need I say more??!! I'll be back here soon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rare and beautiful stormAnimatedAldazDined on 3/22/2014Typhoon is a lovely hidden gem of a restaurant, a perfect fit for a romantic night out, an adventurous trip with friends, or a biz meeting worth talking about. The food is aclectic and delicious, all staff is super friendly, and the atmosphere was tip top. Any seat is a good one, for half the place is view out to the planes and the other half is an entertaining view to the chefs making the most interesting dishes. Quiet and priced to please, I would highly recommend this place to anyone. I look forward to going back and trying more unique dishes :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You can do betterOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/21/2014I've eaten here several times and I have to say, I don't need to go back. Greasy food, bland sausage, bland cabbage, loud, table of kids under 10 on Friday night and pricey for medeocre food.
- LOVELY EVENINGrebeccaDined on 3/21/2014We had a group of 6 for dinner (special occasion) and it was perfect! the wait-staff was very attentive and helpful. We had reservation and were seated immediately. Great view looking out at the runway of SM airport. Food was delicious, drinks were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef, Kitchen Manager, someone helpHenertonDined on 3/19/2014We went on a night that was particularly crowded because of a special event, so understanably concessions should be made by the diner, as there were an overwhelming number of people. The food was unacceptable. Everything we ordered was off. The Chinese Chicken Salad was so soggy. The wet won ton crisps were mixed in with the lettuce and could not even be found. The sautéed green beans were shriveled, swimming in abundant sauce. Mongolian Beef looked like it had gone through a food processor. This is a fun restaurant with a vibrant music scene, and for the most part really attentive service. The food needs to be overhauled. I wouldn't be go there for a meal, if I were not attending one of their really fantastic music events. Food fix needed.Special Features:
- This is the second time I'veOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/7/2014This is the second time I've been here and this place has not disappointed me. In fact, I think the service has gotten better since the last time I dined here (about 6 years ago). I will definitely be going back to this place.Special Features:
- Lauren KovalRedheadDined on 2/18/2014We had a delicious meal with great are ice and saw Lauren Koval perform with the Wenn Sextet jazz band. A terrific evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GREAT, sometimes fabulousLorrDined on 2/5/2014I've been going there since it opened and it has never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special place with great musicOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/4/2014The food is wonderful and fresh. Jimbo Ross and band are consistantly wonderful with an ecletic mix of styles that leave you with a desire/addiction for more!!Special Features:
- Jazz nights are greatMTSMVIPDined on 1/21/2014Hard to beat dinner and jazz show here. Pan-Asian food is tasty no matter what you choose. House-made kimchi is perfectly balanced sweet-hot delicious.Special Features:
- Always good. Interesting menu.LikesGoodFoodDined on 1/18/2014Always good. Interesting menu. Tasty dishes. Convenient to nearby theatre.Special Features:
- great location with great goodN21PMVIPDined on 1/3/2014Food is consistently excellent. Welcoming relaxed atmosphere. We enjoy watching the aircrafts large and small come and go. Kids often dream of being in the cockpit and at Santa Monica Airport, this dream can easily come true. Enjoy the food and ask the manager how you can see an airplane up close. There is also a museum nearby. Had a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningRickDined on 12/31/2013Food is good and the music is great. A couple nights a week they have jazz bands at the Typhoon and the place rocks. If you love big band jazz, check it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Year 2014CookieDined on 12/30/2013I liked it for it's taste in style, entertainment, food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great live music!BradleyBDined on 12/17/2013Loved seeing jazz swing big band Suzy & Her Solid Senders! Great food, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm and invitingMarzDined on 12/7/2013Had so much fun here the other night! Typhoon was really cozy. We started with pickles and a warm Mexican cocktail at the bar. Dinner was delicious dumplings, hot n sour soup, and kimchee, followed by Korean glass noodles, vegetable curry, garlic brown rice, Pilipino chicken, and steamed fish. Lots of laughing. Good for groups and family style sharing. Waitstaff is on it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than a view!RedSunflowerDined on 11/15/2013You can watch planes land and take-off, but you also get some very tasty food. Some unique exotic french fried bugs are on the menu just to delight you. Oh, and they have jazz nights too. Good music, good food, great view…what's not to like?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- live jazz musicBillDined on 11/12/2013Highest quality jazz performance by BEJO Jazz orchestra overlooking the Santa Monica airportSpecial Features:
- Great food, service and view.N21PMVIPDined on 10/31/2013We are long time patron of this establishment. Food is consistently excellent. Staff is friendly and efficient. The huge windows offers a panoramic view of the airport and planes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cout the food be better? NOMichaelDined on 10/30/2013The whole fried cat fish is outstanding. There is a wide range of selections on the menu, something for absolutely everyone. The best part is its been consistent for the past 15 years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Pan Asian restaurantSofiaVIPDined on 10/13/2013Nice Pan Asian restaurant right on the runway at Santa Monica airport. We came for a birthday dinner and everything was great. Really enjoyed the food, service, and view. It was quiet that night because they did not have any jazz bands playing, and you could speak with your friends without having to shout.Special Features:
- Great food, dead crowdFoodGoddessDined on 10/11/2013My boyfriend and I and another couple were hoping for a fun, vibrant ambience at Typhoon, but it was slow and somewhat dead on a Friday night. Our reservation was at 8:30 pm. The food tasted really good; we ordered pad thai, scorpion, chicken curry, crickets, vegetables, tofu and another noodle dish.Special Features:
- Food and FlyingDigifoodDined on 10/3/2013Very nice place w a great scene especially if you enjoy small planes as this overlooks the runway of Santa Monica airport. Fusion Asian food that's wonderful and very nice service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it's not just about bugsmbass100Dined on 9/28/2013saw typhoon on andrew zimmern and my son wanted to go for the bugs. We went on saturday and had a great time. Great service, hip but casual atmosphere and great view of the airport and the ocean. The menu is great with all sorts of asian dishes. Had potstickers, soft shell crab for appetizers, excellent. The pad thai was good but a bit spicey for the kids. Scallops with black bean were very tasty. I liked the ant, scorpion and cricket dishes. My son thought the ants were a bit too sour. The scorpion shrimp toast was the best of the three. Great bar, I had a soporro draft, my wife had a mojito, excellent. For desert, I recommend the pineapple upside down cake. We drove an hour to get there and it was worth it.Special Features: