Type by Chef Blake Rushing
501 N 9th Ave
Pensacola, FL 32501Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Type by Chef Blake Rushing
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: 8504665181
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, French
- Executive Chef: Blake Rushing
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout
A word from Type by Chef Blake Rushing
There is no doubt that fresh tastes better. As a chef, I am faced with many options for food suppliers. My promise to my community is to provide patrons with not only the freshest ingredients but also those ingredients that are sustainably and humanely harvested. By focusing on local gardens, seafood from the Gulf of Mexico and quality meats from Florida, Alabama and Mississippi, I prepare delicious meals for my community while supporting the local economy. Furthermore, I enjoy combining local ingredients with both traditional and exotic ingredients from around the world. Through this unique yet tasteful combination, I am able to provide my patrons with the unmatched experience of a local meal with a worldly taste.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Type by Chef Blake Rushing - Best Restaurants in Pensacola ›
Type by Chef Blake Rushing reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (36)special occasion (35)romantic (27)neighborhood gem (14)notable wine list (12)great for outdoor dining (9)hot spot (8)good for groups (7)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (1)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Excellent dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/17/2014We love this restaurant. Great tasting menu always changes, dynamic. Chef Blake is an artist. He creates fantastic tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise Gem on the Emerald CoastOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/16/2014What a treat to find a place that successfully uses creative new techno methods along with some classic old school approaches. This is not Thomas Keller or Grant Achatz but their influence seems to be part of the experience here. And a wonderful experience it was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef?Seafood4lifeDined on 9/10/2014This is the third time I've been to this cute little restaurant. All was excellent except the pappardelle was overcooked and too salty. Maybe the chef wasn't there on a down season wednesday nite. We will still go back For the ambiance and overall food.Special Features:
- Great service, delicious food!!usabiogirlDined on 9/6/2014My husband and I went to Type for our first date night after having our first baby eight months ago. For starters we ordered the truffled risotto fritters and the mixed artisan lettuces. Both were excellent. Our entrees were equally tasty. I had the 24 hour duck leg and my husband had the braised short rib steak. For dessert we shared the panna cotta. It was amazing. We will definitely be going back to Type. Next time I think we are going to try the tasting menu!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2014Based on a friends recommendation my wife and I celebrated our wedding anniversary at Type. We were very pleasantly surprised. The food was fantastic and the service was excellent. Great experience and would definitely recommend to others.Special Features:
- Every Visit A Hit!RynWryterDined on 9/2/2014This is my second visit to Type and on both occasions, the food was perfect and the ambience just right. One evening the restaurant was full and very lively, but not too loud to talk comfortably. On this most recent occasion, it was less occupied and provided more of an intimate feel. Our server was attentive without being intrusive, something that can be quite annoying when a server is over eager and unable to accurately gauge the customer's need. I have recommended Type to friends and plan on continuing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ComplexityKathyDDined on 8/27/2014Just flown in from San Francisco where I ate at some of my favorite restaurants. It was my birthday and my husband wanted to take me to someplace special. We chose Type because of the great reviews and because we had not had the opportunity to try it yet. Both of us were pleasantly surprised at the complexity of the food we ordered. He had been a chef for many years and can be very critical, more so than I, as I enjoy eating on the streets of the likes of Hong Kong and Bangkok. The atmosphere, the service (thank you Isaac) and especially the food surpassed our expectations. We always enjoy trying to figure out how dishes are made and the complexity of the ingredients within each dish was truly inspiring. Thank you for a memorable birthday!Special Features:
- A taste of big city in PensacolapcolafoodieDined on 8/19/2014Finally! A restaurant in Pensacola that has interesting menu options! While there's nothing wrong with a grouper sandwich or a fish platter, it is absolutely refreshing to find a place that uses ingredients you will NOT find in your cabinet (unless, of course, you're Blake Rushing). I can't say enough about the food. He has found a way to fuse flavors that will leave your taste buds craving for more. The staff is friendly and not overly pretentious. You can have a nice glass of Bordeaux or a can of PBR. Now that's my kind of place!Special Features:
- Every time, wonderful.BTMaderDined on 8/15/2014Chef Rushing constantly changes his menu and delivers amazing meals. He uses the freshest ingredients and presents a gorgeous plate that is as beautiful to look at as it is delicious to eat. This is one of the local places that I MUST bring foodie friends to when they come to visit. Chef Rushing never fails to impress everyone at the table.Special Features:
- Fantastic Foodie Find!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014Wife and 3 kids had a great experience dining in beautiful courtyard -- professional service; creative and masterful food presentation and inspired menu. Much appreciated table visit by Chef and wine pairings did not disappoint. Wish we could take this place home to Texas where we are from -- Pensacola is fortunate to have this place.Special Features:
- winedine4funwinedine4funDined on 8/2/2014Here is a part of the review I wrote after our first visit to Type, and the only thing I would add is that while it is hard to believe that Lindsey could possibly have been better, she was even more superb at our second visit and we simply cannot use enough superlatives for this restaurant and for her! We really love this place. We were quite pleasantly surprised at the level of excellence in the cuisine, the presentation, the selection of wines and the knowledge of wines of our server, about whom more later, and found the entire experience to be most enjoyable, to put it mildly. We must make special mention of our server, Lindsey, who, as noted above, was very knowledgeable about the food and wines,Special Features:
- Great food, superb serviceLoveDiningOutVIPDined on 8/2/2014We try to eat at Type often enough to sample items from each new menu (changes every 4 weeks). On our most recent visit, the shrimp hot pot was definitely a highlight. The chef combines such fresh and interesting ingredients in each dish that you can't go wrong no matter what you order. Service at Type is wonderful as well. The servers make each table feel like VIP's whether it is your first visit or your tenth. The overall experience is a great combination of delicious food, beautiful but casual atmosphere, and no pretentious servers. Type is a true pensacola gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A 5-star experiencehappy2dineDined on 7/31/2014My friend and I visited on Thursday night and were served beautifully prepared food in a great setting by talented, attentive servers. Chef Rushing made an appearance at the table and at the door as we exited, wishing my friend a "Happy Birthday". We will both be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014We met friends here for a birthday celebration. The food was outstanding. The only drawback was when the main course was delivered and 4 of the six got their meal and the other 2 waited an awkwardly long time for their food. The same happened with desert. We will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014Great food and ambience for our smaller birthday celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gem.BillDined on 7/19/2014Great find. The lamb was excellent and will be continued on the menu although our other entrees are on a menu that changes monthly. Not inexpensive but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerWellDoneDinerDined on 7/19/2014Beautiful atmosphere and the service and food were great. There are two very nicely appointed inside rooms and we noted that the staff was seating older more sedate patrons in one room and younger more boisterous diners in the other room; made our anniversary dinner very pleasant. If you like meat rare, you will love the cooking staff. I insist on meat medium-well to well done and I had to send my steak back three times and finally got medium, which I gave up and tolerated. Nevertheless it was a wonderful dinner. We will definitely be returning, especially with out-of-town friends, from cities like Chicago and Indianapolis, who have sampled a plethora of fine dining restaurants. I believe they will love Type.(My wife gives the food 5 Stars)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gatorfansDined on 7/18/2014Great place. Chef Rushing always comes out to greet us. It is a little pricey but the quality of the food and atmosphere is always worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FANTASTICDiggerDined on 7/11/2014while in town on vacation i found this place online. My wife and i are self described foodies! We olive great food and great restaurants, this place was a pleasant find. Food was amazing and we will go back while in town. Check this place out and you will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- leeleeVIPDined on 7/11/2014Love this place! Great food, very unique and fresh.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014Food, ambiance, and service were exceptional. Our waiter gave a perfect review of the wine list and meal selections, and his input was invaluable. Our first experience there was a TEN !Special Features:
- Nothing like TypeSothernFoodieDined on 6/21/2014There is nothing like Type anywhere in NW Florida. Chef Rushing has a talent equal to the top Chefs in NYC, California, & London. The Food is unique & well thought out, perfectly prepared, presentation is appealing and service can only be described as Southern Comfortable. It is not pretentious but it has every right to be! A must experience when in Pensacola!! 5 stars in my book!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed FeelingsExpectGreatnessDined on 6/17/2014We were very pleased that Chef Blake greeted us personally, as those types of personal touches really make a dining experience great. We were celebrating a birthday with family and friends, most of whom had never been to Type. I was, however, disappointed in the food preparation for the main course of our meal. Four of the six burgers the table ordered did not come out cooked as requested. Four burgers came out medium-rare when they were requested to be cooked medium. Two of those burgers were more rare than cooked, as if they were only seared on the outside. I know that grilling can be tricky at times, as proper heat distribution is not guaranteed, but the disproportionate error over success was very difficult to overlook.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food with hit or miss serviceSloanaroniDined on 6/14/2014The scene, the menu, the food- loved it. Changing menu and local resources are point on. I brought my husband to an early Father's day dinner and we were impressed. However, we noticed the server next to us giving a higher level of service than our server. Very disheartening. All servers should be trained for consistent service. We felt uncomfortable as we watched a waiter at a close by table explain what was on each dish, et al. Our server did not do this and I was left wondering. At this price point I feel the service should be consistent.Special Features:
- A superb evening of diningwinedine4funDined on 6/14/2014We were quite pleasantly surprised at the level of excellence in the cuisine, the presentation, the selection of wines and the knowledge of wines of our server, about whom more later, and found the entire experience to be most enjoyable, to put it mildly. We are so pleased that Pensacola finally has a truly top drawer restaurant, which in our humble opinion, it simply has not had before this restaurant opened. We must make special mention of our server, Lindsey, who, as noted above, was very knowledgeable about the food and wines, and could not possibly have been more helpful and attentive; she was clearly one of the most competent-- and pleasant-- servers we have had in quite some time. Overall, we would give this restaurant high marks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice find in Pensacola.JessieVieraVIPDined on 6/10/2014Nice find in Pensacola. Interesting combination of fresh ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- couldn't have been betterlancecgDined on 6/6/2014great overall experience. one of Houston's best chefs recommended Type as a not to miss stop while traveling from Houston to the Florida Panhandle. even though I was dining alone at the bar, I ordered one of almost everything and what I didn't order I was offered by the chef. their seasonal offered a great quail dish and cobbler while their "signature dishes" including truffle risotto fritters were spectacular. great, diverse well-priced wine list with a number of options by the glass. I could not have had a better experience with food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a special dinner!mommareaDined on 5/30/2014The food and service were incredible. It is a little pricy so we will save it for special occasions but we will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 73 reviews are from the Type by Chef Blake Rushing reviews archive.
- Great ExperiencePcolaDinerDined on 5/17/2014The service and the experience matched the creative and delicious entrees. The staff was attentive and informative. The braised lamb neck was exceptional as was the grouper with sambal butter. Both paired well with the wines on their menu. The changing menu items will guarantee well be back.Special Features:
- Wonderful DinnerCourtnfosterDined on 5/13/2014The food was fantastic, the sommelier was helpful, and the server was very on top of mise en place. My only complaint is when I asked the server about a bottle I was interested in he responded with "I have no idea, I've never tried it." He did say he could have the sommelier come over but that it could possibly take a while. Luckily, it didn't take long and the food and wine was outstanding. I will definitely be back with more guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect dinnerRcaaDined on 5/13/2014Amazing flavors on all dishes ordered by my wife and I. No hard alcohol, but a great wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great AtmosphereJHarTBenDined on 5/9/2014After reading all of the great reviews on Type, we were excited to try for ourselves. The outside setting was nice and the vibe was great when you walk in. We took our time looking over the menu and ordering our drinks. They let us sample a couple of wines which one became a bottle of our own. The food was amazing - we ordered the salad greens and empanada to start and then the lamb neck and pork shoulder as our main. We ended our meal with a trio of ice cream that wasn't on the menu - I didn't want to cake or pie that went a long with the ice cream, so they let us sample three of them! Overall, a great place for a nice dinner and we will definitely be back!Special Features:
- tdgfoodieDined on 5/1/2014Our group of six enjoyed our meal. our waiter was knowledgable about the menu. Very inventive menu. However our waiter never offered us coffee even tho we could see coffee maker from our table. We didn't bother to ask for a cup because the table of ten girls behind us were making so much noise we were anxious to leave! We will give it one more chance. If it is that loud again, we probably won't return.Special Features:
- YummySummerDined on 4/23/2014Focus gras parfait was amazing! We will be back. Just wished they had a full service bar! Cute spot and very nice staff...took very good care of us and explaining the menu items!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time But Not LasttalononeguyDined on 4/23/2014Absolutely great food. Main course was Sheepshead for both the wife and me. Excellently prepared and delivered to the table by the chef. Menu is small but there is something for everyone. Not inexpensive, but absolutely worth the price. Highly recommend for any occasion. We ate outside, and it was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Change of Pace, A Menu SuperbRichard32503Dined on 4/22/2014While many of our friends praise the work of Chef Rushing and fine staff, we had not esaten at TYPE until last night. It is everything we've been told. Setting, table arrangement, small bar and private dining area are contemporary and warm. Staff greeted us as if we had eaten there for months. Menu though short, is challenging, "where to start". Wine offerings are carefully selected and easy to pair. Food was the Wednesday special and not quite like to rest of the menu. Go to the web site for a surprise, it was unique and delicious. We will be back. Pricing is competetive with other restaurant of TYPE'S rankings.Special Features:
- dinner with familyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/19/2014Our waiter Brandon was fun, well informed about the wine, beer and foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pensacola's Most Sophisticated FoodktmasonVIPDined on 4/12/2014This is definitely Pensacola's most sophisticated food. While it borderlines on pretentious, the food is delicious. The food portions are large, especially for being so rich. The foie gras and risotto are the standouts for starters, and black drum for main. I wish that dessert had been a little stronger. The staff is attentive, and made great wine suggestions. The restaurant itself is very clean and bright with a lot of good looking patrons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good experienceLocalProfessionalDined on 4/12/2014Overall, the meal was great. We tried the corn risotto and house-cured bacon to start (both excellent), followed by the veal chop and drum (again, excellent). So after such great food, we were disappointed with the smores dessert which was very average. The additional strawberry marshmallows we received gratis tasted a little artificial (sorry). Still, we would definitely return, although maybe not order dessert.Special Features:
- Foodphoriafood4thotDined on 4/12/2014Wonderful experience! Ambiance was so nice. I felt like I was in another country or city. Surrounded by impeccable design and taste . The food was excellent. The presentation and service by far the best in Pensacola. I highly recommend eating here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.