Type by Chef Blake Rushing
501 N 9th Ave
Pensacola, FL 32501Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Type by Chef Blake Rushing
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: (850) 466-5181
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, French
- Executive Chef: Blake Rushing
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout
A word from Type by Chef Blake Rushing
There is no doubt that fresh tastes better. As a chef, I am faced with many options for food suppliers. My promise to my community is to provide patrons with not only the freshest ingredients but also those ingredients that are sustainably and humanely harvested. By focusing on local gardens, seafood from the Gulf of Mexico and quality meats from Florida, Alabama and Mississippi, I prepare delicious meals for my community while supporting the local economy. Furthermore, I enjoy combining local ingredients with both traditional and exotic ingredients from around the world. Through this unique yet tasteful combination, I am able to provide my patrons with the unmatched experience of a local meal with a worldly taste.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Type by Chef Blake Rushing - Best Restaurants in Pensacola ›
Type by Chef Blake Rushing reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (38)special occasion (35)romantic (22)neighborhood gem (19)hot spot (11)good for groups (9)great for outdoor dining (8)notable wine list (7)late-night find (4)great for lunch (2)vibrant bar scene (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Excellent little findNelco14Dined on 11/19/2014While traveling to Navarre, I was looking for a place to celebrate and have a nice dinner. Type was perfect. We enjoyed excellent food and service. The tasting menu was perfect way to sample the cuisine. The duck was phenomenal, as were the over dishes. Thank you for a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special... UniqueDifferentDined on 11/14/2014This is a unique place. It reminds me of eating at a nice place in New York, Chicago, or San Francisco. You will not find the standard (yawn) things here. With that said.... Don't go to this place if you are looking for the huge steak and mountain high pile of potatoes with a ton of butter. There is creativity, presentation, and things that are unique. This does not appeal to everyone... But my husband and I do enjoy this restaurant. My only criticism would be execution. I think the vision here is excellent, but in three visits to this restaurant, once the skin on the fish was soggy - not crisp, and once the pot de creme was runny. It is too expensive for things like that to happen. But I have lots of hope that they will improve... And we will keep visiting them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/12/2014Being from NYC, I was fortunate to find a restaurant as good as this . The staff from top to bottom is incredible. The food is creative and has amazing flavors. I highly recommend the duck breast that is complemented with goat cheese couscous. The charcuterie board is terrific . They cure there own sausage which is absolutely phenomenal!! I only wish we had a restaurant like this in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/11/2014Our second time to Type, the food and service were again excellent.Special Features:
- Loved this place!LissyVIPDined on 11/8/2014Delicious food, reasonable cost. I hope to make this a part of our regular dining experiences when visiting Pensacola Beach!Special Features:
- A gem in PensacolaLuv2eatVIPDined on 11/8/2014Type has raised the bar in Pensacola for a unique fine dining experience. The atmosphere is inviting with a nice music volume which made conversing easy. Our wait staff was prompt, well versed and paced our dinner perfectly. There were 3 adults dining together for our first time at Type. We enjoyed the charcuterie plate and the delicious house smoked salmon under glass as shared appetizers. WE'LL BE BACK! Our only 2 downgrades: 1) All our entrees were served warm, not hot. One entree was crispy duck breast and wasn't crispy but still delicious; 2) There was a windowpane door next to our table that had no blinds or curtain covering. We could see into an office or closet space during our entire meal. A window covering is needed.Special Features:
- Can't say enoughLoveGreatFoodDined on 11/7/2014The simplicity was elegant. Service was outstanding. One of the best meals we've eaten. The waitstaff was extremely knowledgable. Can't wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner Club ExperienceDine4HealthDined on 10/31/2014Our dinner club likes to try new restaurants and being the chooser for October, I choose TYPE. No one in the group had been there before so I was a little nervous being the type of person that does not want to make anyone unhappy. Everyone enjoyed their meal and said they would definitely return. We also enjoyed visiting the gift shop, "DUH", connected to the restaurant.Special Features:
- Will go backOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/29/2014The setting was lovely, our waiter was exceptional and thank goodness for a restaurant that has low noise level. The food was good and presentation was wonderful. I would not rate the food as outstanding. I had the redfish on top of greens and I have yet to figure out what the greens were. Very untasty. Cauliflower was presented attractively but I can make cauliflower casserole at home. Was expecting something a little different. But our party did enjoy the night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UniqueCaapedDined on 10/25/2014The quality of the ingredients and preparation was excellent. Although advertised as Southern with a fresh new approach I was still disappointed that a restaurant of this caliber would serve the sides completely mixed together like more of a casserole.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful MealEhsaDined on 10/23/2014Chef Blake Rushing has brought a new level of dining to the area. Dishes are creative, well presented and delicious. We were also very pleased with the service. Two of us had the tasting menu, a good choice. It was nice to have the chef talk with us and explain the dishes. Type is the perfect place to bring your city dwelling friends to show where Pensacola is going in the dining scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb diningBchlvrDined on 10/23/2014The ambience and the food was superb. We had a variety of dishes and each one was beautifully presented with interesting flavors and textures.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious all aroundKobeDined on 10/2/2014Really enjoyed the ambiance of the restaurant. Well decorated. Service was great. Menu changes monthly. Delicious food served and explained by the head chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Appeals to all the senses.FranDined on 9/27/2014Presentation was excellent, matched only by the aroma and taste. Excellent variety of entrees, weekly changes. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavors are off - - on everythingCrimsonGatorDined on 9/26/2014The food is beautiful but it just isn't good. The combination of flavors was off on everything I ate, from the truffle appetizer to the chocolate desert. It looks like it should be delicious. But then you taste it, and it just isn't.
- JMLinPNSVIPDined on 9/23/2014This was our first trip to Type. We each tried a different entree....my Duck Confit was great...loved the whole thing. The papardelli and short rib "steak" were hits with my friends. My husband thought the flounder was very well done, but just couldn't deal with the kimchi rice...he doesn't have fond memories of kimchee from his days in Korea...I thought it was good...but he hates the smell. Our waiter was delightful and recommended a very nice glass of pinot that complemented the short rib and duck. Panna Cotta was sublime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a small mealFoodieVIPDined on 9/19/2014Trying to avoid Gallery Night crowds, I was pleased to be able to stop by on short notice and be seated at a table. We had previously had heavy appetizers at an event, so we wanted a lighter fare. The smoked salmon and beet salad, with a bottle of rose were a perfect way to end the evening. My guest thoroughly enjoyed her visit to Type and felt the atmosphere was much more relaxing than other venues. Thank you for another great meal!Special Features:
- Great local restaurantBobbankrDined on 9/19/2014The food is fresh, inventive and impeccably prepared. The decor is casual yet high end. Blake is very accommodating to different dietary needs. Two in our party were Vegan and the meal they were served was fantastic. Please give this place a try!!!!Special Features:
- Excellent dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/17/2014We love this restaurant. Great tasting menu always changes, dynamic. Chef Blake is an artist. He creates fantastic tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise Gem on the Emerald CoastToMartyDined on 9/16/2014What a treat to find a place that successfully uses creative new techno methods along with some classic old school approaches. This is not Thomas Keller or Grant Achatz but their influence seems to be part of the experience here. And a wonderful experience it was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef?Seafood4lifeDined on 9/10/2014This is the third time I've been to this cute little restaurant. All was excellent except the pappardelle was overcooked and too salty. Maybe the chef wasn't there on a down season wednesday nite. We will still go back For the ambiance and overall food.Special Features:
- Great service, delicious food!!usabiogirlDined on 9/6/2014My husband and I went to Type for our first date night after having our first baby eight months ago. For starters we ordered the truffled risotto fritters and the mixed artisan lettuces. Both were excellent. Our entrees were equally tasty. I had the 24 hour duck leg and my husband had the braised short rib steak. For dessert we shared the panna cotta. It was amazing. We will definitely be going back to Type. Next time I think we are going to try the tasting menu!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2014Based on a friends recommendation my wife and I celebrated our wedding anniversary at Type. We were very pleasantly surprised. The food was fantastic and the service was excellent. Great experience and would definitely recommend to others.Special Features:
- Every Visit A Hit!RynWryterDined on 9/2/2014This is my second visit to Type and on both occasions, the food was perfect and the ambience just right. One evening the restaurant was full and very lively, but not too loud to talk comfortably. On this most recent occasion, it was less occupied and provided more of an intimate feel. Our server was attentive without being intrusive, something that can be quite annoying when a server is over eager and unable to accurately gauge the customer's need. I have recommended Type to friends and plan on continuing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ComplexityKathyDDined on 8/27/2014Just flown in from San Francisco where I ate at some of my favorite restaurants. It was my birthday and my husband wanted to take me to someplace special. We chose Type because of the great reviews and because we had not had the opportunity to try it yet. Both of us were pleasantly surprised at the complexity of the food we ordered. He had been a chef for many years and can be very critical, more so than I, as I enjoy eating on the streets of the likes of Hong Kong and Bangkok. The atmosphere, the service (thank you Isaac) and especially the food surpassed our expectations. We always enjoy trying to figure out how dishes are made and the complexity of the ingredients within each dish was truly inspiring. Thank you for a memorable birthday!Special Features:
- A taste of big city in PensacolapcolafoodieDined on 8/19/2014Finally! A restaurant in Pensacola that has interesting menu options! While there's nothing wrong with a grouper sandwich or a fish platter, it is absolutely refreshing to find a place that uses ingredients you will NOT find in your cabinet (unless, of course, you're Blake Rushing). I can't say enough about the food. He has found a way to fuse flavors that will leave your taste buds craving for more. The staff is friendly and not overly pretentious. You can have a nice glass of Bordeaux or a can of PBR. Now that's my kind of place!Special Features:
- Every time, wonderful.BTMaderDined on 8/15/2014Chef Rushing constantly changes his menu and delivers amazing meals. He uses the freshest ingredients and presents a gorgeous plate that is as beautiful to look at as it is delicious to eat. This is one of the local places that I MUST bring foodie friends to when they come to visit. Chef Rushing never fails to impress everyone at the table.Special Features:
- Fantastic Foodie Find!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014Wife and 3 kids had a great experience dining in beautiful courtyard -- professional service; creative and masterful food presentation and inspired menu. Much appreciated table visit by Chef and wine pairings did not disappoint. Wish we could take this place home to Texas where we are from -- Pensacola is fortunate to have this place.Special Features:
- winedine4funwinedine4funDined on 8/2/2014Here is a part of the review I wrote after our first visit to Type, and the only thing I would add is that while it is hard to believe that Lindsey could possibly have been better, she was even more superb at our second visit and we simply cannot use enough superlatives for this restaurant and for her! We really love this place. We were quite pleasantly surprised at the level of excellence in the cuisine, the presentation, the selection of wines and the knowledge of wines of our server, about whom more later, and found the entire experience to be most enjoyable, to put it mildly. We must make special mention of our server, Lindsey, who, as noted above, was very knowledgeable about the food and wines,Special Features:
- Great food, superb serviceLoveDiningOutVIPDined on 8/2/2014We try to eat at Type often enough to sample items from each new menu (changes every 4 weeks). On our most recent visit, the shrimp hot pot was definitely a highlight. The chef combines such fresh and interesting ingredients in each dish that you can't go wrong no matter what you order. Service at Type is wonderful as well. The servers make each table feel like VIP's whether it is your first visit or your tenth. The overall experience is a great combination of delicious food, beautiful but casual atmosphere, and no pretentious servers. Type is a true pensacola gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A 5-star experiencehappy2dineDined on 7/31/2014My friend and I visited on Thursday night and were served beautifully prepared food in a great setting by talented, attentive servers. Chef Rushing made an appearance at the table and at the door as we exited, wishing my friend a "Happy Birthday". We will both be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 88 reviews are from the Type by Chef Blake Rushing reviews archive.
- Outstanding FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014We met friends here for a birthday celebration. The food was outstanding. The only drawback was when the main course was delivered and 4 of the six got their meal and the other 2 waited an awkwardly long time for their food. The same happened with desert. We will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014Great food and ambience for our smaller birthday celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gem.BillDined on 7/19/2014Great find. The lamb was excellent and will be continued on the menu although our other entrees are on a menu that changes monthly. Not inexpensive but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerWellDoneDinerDined on 7/19/2014Beautiful atmosphere and the service and food were great. There are two very nicely appointed inside rooms and we noted that the staff was seating older more sedate patrons in one room and younger more boisterous diners in the other room; made our anniversary dinner very pleasant. If you like meat rare, you will love the cooking staff. I insist on meat medium-well to well done and I had to send my steak back three times and finally got medium, which I gave up and tolerated. Nevertheless it was a wonderful dinner. We will definitely be returning, especially with out-of-town friends, from cities like Chicago and Indianapolis, who have sampled a plethora of fine dining restaurants. I believe they will love Type.(My wife gives the food 5 Stars)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gatorfansDined on 7/18/2014Great place. Chef Rushing always comes out to greet us. It is a little pricey but the quality of the food and atmosphere is always worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FANTASTICDiggerDined on 7/11/2014while in town on vacation i found this place online. My wife and i are self described foodies! We olive great food and great restaurants, this place was a pleasant find. Food was amazing and we will go back while in town. Check this place out and you will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- leeleeVIPDined on 7/11/2014Love this place! Great food, very unique and fresh.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014Food, ambiance, and service were exceptional. Our waiter gave a perfect review of the wine list and meal selections, and his input was invaluable. Our first experience there was a TEN !Special Features:
- Nothing like TypeSothernFoodieDined on 6/21/2014There is nothing like Type anywhere in NW Florida. Chef Rushing has a talent equal to the top Chefs in NYC, California, & London. The Food is unique & well thought out, perfectly prepared, presentation is appealing and service can only be described as Southern Comfortable. It is not pretentious but it has every right to be! A must experience when in Pensacola!! 5 stars in my book!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.