240 Ninth Ave
New York, NY 10001Neighborhood:
BasquePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://txikitonyc.com/
- Phone: 2122424730x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday- Thursday: 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00 pm - 12:00 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Basque
- Executive Chef: Alex Raij & Eder Montero
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Host your next event at Txikito. We have two semi-private dining spaces perfect for any occasion. From standing receptions to seated dinners, lets us create a menu for you.
A word from Txikito
Acclaimed Basque restaurant from chef Alex Raij and Eder Montero located in Chelsea. Txikito is a love letter to the Basque region, serving authentic small plates, whole fish and crispy suckling pig.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Txikito reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (56)neighborhood gem (48)romantic (21)notable wine list (16)special occasion (13)good for groups (12)late-night find (7)hot spot (5)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Delicious!jeszDined on 10/18/2014Wow, having just had lamb meatballs elsewhere a week earlier, the difference here was startling. The meatballs here were out-of-this-world delicious! Also, the octopus carpaccio and artichoke gratin were amazing as well. Very cute place too, if a little small/crowded, but still nice for a date.Special Features:
- DinnerOceansRiseDined on 10/18/2014This place was recommended as one offering specialty Spanish cuisine. Food tasted pretty bad, super greasy and fried. Would not go again and would not recommend.
- Our go-to restaurantFoodieVIPDined on 10/12/2014So glad Txikito is our neighborhood restaurant. The service is warm and friendly. The food, wonderful.Special Features:
- jsalVIPDined on 9/21/2014Went here for dinner. Tapas place so small portions expected, but some dishes were too small for the price. We had the olives (I wish they were bigger in size), french fries (delicious), foie gras (excellent), croquetas (nothing special), squid ribbons (fair), sardines (very good), bacon sandwich (fair), and a ham/shrimp dish (very good). Service was friendly. The place was small.
- Not one wow.MyManhattanMouthDined on 9/20/2014When I go for Tapas I don't expect to love everything, but do expect at least one wow for my mouth. One:that combination of flavors was amazing! And we ordered easily 10 items on menu and while everything tasted okay, there wasn't a thing I wanted to come back for. The cod croquetes were disappointing --don't make it fancier with fish - stick to the ham... Also we were all still hungry when we left - and went for a slice for dessert. Sorry to say the Best thing I had all night.Special Features:
- Always faithfulArthurVIPDined on 9/19/2014We have never been disappointed with Txikito. Go for the blackboard specials, especially the cochinillo if they have it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatFoodieVIPDined on 9/18/2014Txikito is a great neighborhood restaurant that caters to friends who like to share dishes and try a little of everything. Everything we ordered was delicious but I did think the menu was a bit complicated and could have included more typical tapas fare. As it was a beautiful evening, I really liked our table which was in the corner close to the windows that opened wide to allow for a simulated outdoor experience.Special Features:
- Friendly place, good foodappleannieDined on 9/5/2014We received a heartily welcome upon arriving and attentive service throughout the meal. Food arrived promptly. White sangria with puréed passion fruit was excellent. We enjoyed each dish except for the white asparagus which was mushy and flavorless-from a can? Most dishes would have benefited from a touch more seasoning. The exception is the lamb meatballs in mint broth which were delightfully Moroccan spiced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food for the MoneyHungry4goodfoodDined on 9/4/2014First, our server was very good. She described everything to perfection (except the portion size in some cases) and made a wonderful wine selection. Unfortunately she did not recommend enough food. For four people we ordered six dishes including a special as our main. One of the plates never arrived. The main course was so small it wasn't enough for two let alone four. I am not a person who wants to see my plate overflowing with food. That said, I do expect to eat more than a small bite. Example...the croquettes which were flavorful but hardly enough to taste. You should be aware that we frequent tapas type restaurants in NYC as well as abroad.Special Features:
- A Nice Surpriseup4tryingDined on 9/3/2014I was given a sizable gift certificate to Txikito and didn't know the restaurant. I went with friends and we had a very enjoyable time. There were things on the menu that were new to us, but, because of the tapas size of most of the menu items, we decided to try a few. Everything we tried was delicious - well seasoned and cooked. The server was attentive and personable. I would go again!Special Features:
- The food was very goodBuddy203Dined on 9/2/2014We enjoyed it and the tapas were delicious especially the artichoke one and the albondigas. The tables were tiny- way too small to be comfortable and the portions are also tiny. Overpriced and trendy. Not our kind of place as we want to feel more abundance on every level. The service was attentive and quick.Special Features:
- Good place and original basque foodOmarLisandroDined on 8/30/2014I liked the place very much, is just a bit overpriced but the food is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food execellent serviceChrisrnycDined on 8/18/2014Found this place on yelp what a great find we ate throught most of the menu and the croquettes stand out this is a cool neighboorhood find and our server was very attentive we loved this placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TapasOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Even though it is not advertised as such, it is a tapas restaurant, expensive tapas, small portions.Special Features:
- back for secondslisserDined on 8/14/2014another great experience ! I don't often return to a restaurant twice in less than a month--- but this place has great service, great wine list, sangria and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going backMaitetxuDined on 8/5/2014Txikito captured authentic Basque flavors in every dish we sampled. We were impressed and very satisfied with our meal experience. Will certainly be going back!Special Features:
- Service not greatNycdining3425VIPDined on 8/4/2014I've come here once before and the service was great. This time the waitress didn't tell us specials, abruptly left mid our deciding what to order (guess we were taking too long) and was slow to refill our water. The foos was good though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentJannyDined on 8/2/2014Creative food, fascinating choices, flexible & attentive wait staff. A restaurant not to be missed if you want to try authentic tapas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantRoichukDined on 8/1/2014Great place to have dinner if you are looking for international cousine. Stlylish food and great decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Excellent Dining ExperienceBrooklynFoodie49Dined on 7/31/2014We have eaten at Txikito several times, once for a brunch celebrating a friend's birthday and twice for dinner with friends. The food is wonderful, the atmosphere is relaxed and the service first rate. The variety and quality of the tapas is amazing, while wines are excellent, although a little pricey. However, our overall experience on all 3 occasions was superb.Special Features:
- MarktheKnifeVIPDined on 7/29/2014The food is very good, and unusual. Our group of four liked everything. It took a while for the staff to wake up and give us water and ask if we wanted a drink. But once we made our presence known everything went smoothly, including being able to make a 7:30 curtain at The Joyce several blocks away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tastes good -NO VALUE overpricednicotectureVIPDined on 7/27/2014We were a party of four and all left hungry. We spent over $300 and no one at the table was happy. The tapas portions here are extremely small. We all have travelled and have had tapas at various Latin cities which provide bigger tapas portions. I'm not a big eater and require enormous portions however this situation was absurd. This place although cute ambiance is milking the profits with High prices and minimal portions. My recommendation to this place would to have larger plates for sharing when it's groups of four or more with a different price versus the small plates on the menu. I eat out frequently and have experienced hits and misses. This by far was an extreme disappointment.Special Features:
- Art food after art walkmargVIPDined on 7/24/2014Txikito was the perfect place to tuck into after the Chelsea Art Walk. The warm wood-covered walls felt comforting after the explosion of contemporary art. Liquids are served in lovely square glasses and the small plates come out nicely paced and beautifully arranged. My favorite was the octopus carpaccio- simply stunning. I could also repeat the whole trout and the mushroom special again. I was clenching until the noisy crowd next to us left and our darling waiter/aspiring actor opened the half garage door and let the outside in- magical.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Basque TreatWoosterDined on 7/21/2014Tapas originated in Basque country and this neighborhood gem feels like being there. Good wine list too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!cookpatronfoodieDined on 7/18/2014The food is outstanding and it's brought out perfectly. The tables are small so they bring one dish out at a time. Loved the tomato salad and asparagus so much. However, all the dishes were stunning. Seating hostess not very warm or friendly, our server Brad was fantastic. Very knowledgeable and attentive. We found the noise level high, but that's to be expected with a busy restaurant. Over time, we got used to the sound of loud patrons. It's lovely, quaint and delicious and we would return in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2ateeVIPDined on 7/18/2014A great find. Unique food prepared wonderfully! Worth another visit.Special Features:
- Excellent Basque style tapasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/17/2014Not the same old, same old tapas place. Delicious food with a regional Basque twist. Definitely will go back.Special Features:
- Overall, good....OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/17/2014My husband and I had heard about the unusual and fun tapas served at Txikito, and were excited about trying it out. While the overall meal was very, very good, it was a mixed experience: there were a few bland and/or overcooked dishes that were just not up to the standards of the others. While the blood sausage and foie gras were excellent, for example, and the squid ribbons were divine, the beef tongue was so thinly sliced that it was all breading, and overcooked; the sausage was OK, but bland. And the service was similar: while it was, overall, very good, our waitress disappeared in the middle of dinner and we ended up having to as someone else for the check? Overall, I would recommend Txikito, but be careful what you order.Special Features:
- Consistently AmazingLeeneyBeanieVIPDined on 7/15/2014I love this place! The menu is creative but there is something for everyone - from the carnivore, the vegetarian, or even the less-than-adventuresome. I always take out-of-town guests here because it's a real experience they won't get back home. The white sangria is lovely. And typically I get at least 2 or 3 of the specials. Service is also very, very nice and professional. Just a great vibe and I just know I'll have a great evening going there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ball Droppedhf995VIPDined on 7/14/2014All was going well until our Razor Clam dish came to use with zero Razor Clams. When we inquired (after some back and forth) we were informed the kitchen had run out. Where's the communication between front kitchen and front of house? What's most disappointing was that, until we inquired, they would have been more then happy to charge us for a dish we did not get. How sad for a less informed diner. To top it all off, the check was dropped with two items on it we did not order. Come on, if you are already comping something on the check, take the few extra moment to double check its 100% correct.
- A WONDERFUL FINDAxwall8Dined on 7/12/2014Beautifully prepared Basque tapas at fairly reasonable prices. Be careful not to overdo it. Olives, an escarole salad, and the day's special, trout broiled with Serrano ham, and one shared desert was more than sufficient for two. Cost? Food, three glasses of wine, coffee and tea added up to a little over $100 including tip. But go for the food--the menu is extensive but not vast, and the menu, close to but distinct from the fare offered at Spanish tapas bars, is unusual and rewarding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it here!christineLVIPDined on 7/11/2014We've been dining at Txikito for a number of years now and it's always delicious. It is our go-to restaurant to take visitors from out of town and everyone always loves it. The staff is great and attentive. We love Txikito!Special Features:
- amazinglisserDined on 7/10/2014what a great find---- I love tapas ! I was looking for a good place for a group dinner for my birthday. I lucked out with this choice- wine list - check- interesting menu =check- yummy tapas=check good wait staff- check I am looking forward to coming backSpecial Features:
- Superb preparationLavendraDined on 7/8/2014A variety of dishes each perfectly prepared with delicate yet present savory treatment. Service was spectacular -Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Variable ServiceNYCPeteVIPDined on 7/6/2014I have been to this restaurant a number of times and I really want to like it. The food is very good however the service is very hit and miss. It's strange, really, as there's no apparent reason for this. So I keep going back thinking that the poor service was just an aberration, however, there does seem to be a pattern. I think that may be it for it. Onto other places.Special Features:
- maryredDined on 7/3/2014Nice tapas restaurant with quiet and friendly staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good and interestingOliverVIPDined on 6/26/2014This restaurant serves a tasty and interesting variety of little dishes. The white sangria is better than the red. The cuisine should not be confused with Spanish. The atmosphere is lively, noisy and not too attractive.Special Features:
- The following 59 reviews are from the Txikito reviews archive.
- Great modern spanish cuisineAzulDined on 6/13/2014New York is now full of lousy tapas restaurants. Txikito is not one of them. It's spanish food the way that made spanish chefs rule last 20 years but without the "nanocuisine". The chipirones made us cry for more as well as other choices. To repeat next time in NY!Special Features:
- Basque small platesOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/1/2014Flavourful small servings, which will work well for a snack, lunch, and dinner. Small plates means lots of variety, and great for sharing with a partner or in a bigger group. Location was pretty handy, and there are some good alternatives just within a block or two. Decor is simple, and the atmosphere is casual, which was perfect for a warm evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food/priceBobo62VIPDined on 5/30/2014It was my first time there. I ate there with Spanish friends which were very knowledgeable about tapas. They also were very satisfied and they said that it was the closest to the original tapas one could find in NY. This being said, I eat out very often in NY and abroad, and I found this restaurant although good, really overpriced. The sardines, the fois gras, the porcini, the octopus carpaccio, to name few were excellent. We had several types of tapas and they were ALL good. Food wise, you can't go wrong!Special Features: