377 Walden St
Cambridge, MA 02138Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://twfoodrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (617) 864-4745
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 2:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Closed Mondays
July 4th - July 7th Closed for the holiday!
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, French
- Executive Chef: Tim Wiechmann
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: Jazz Brunch served every Sunday 10 am - 2 pm
A word from T.W. Food
We produce creative New American cuisine, enjoying the best ingredients in their ever changing seasonality.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
T.W. Food - Best Restaurants in Cambridge ›
T.W. Food reviews from OpenTable diners
153 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (121)neighborhood gem (105)special occasion (96)romantic (81)notable wine list (42)great for brunch (25)good for groups (5)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)great for lunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- What A MealOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/16/2014We celebrated our anniversary with a dinner at T.W. Food and we had a great time. From the minute we arrived, we felt at home. The wait staff was welcoming, helpful and pleasant. The menu had just enough variety to allow for different tastes and the food was delicious. Pumpkin soup, creme brûlée foie gras, noodles with sauce that made us want to lick our plates (but we used wonderful bread to soak it up instead) and a mean peanut butter ice cream sundae made for a memorable meal. We look forward to returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in the Boston areawinegeekVIPDined on 11/14/2014This is a GREAT restaurant. The food is simply on a par with other great restaurants in the world. While on having about 30 seats and a closet sized kitchen, they do an incredible job. We try other places every now and then, and when we come back it reminds us that the others are just pretenders, and that this is the real deal. There are two halves to the menu. The normal stuff (appetizers, entrees, and desserts), and then the 6 course tasting menu. The tasting menu is where it's really happening. We love watching how first timers react to the food. Taste. Smile. Nod. Repeat. Their wine list doesn't quite live up to the food, but it's solid, and given the size of the restaurant, necessarily small (very little storage space). But, the food's so good you don't mind. And, did I say that you could hear the other side of the table, without straining or shouting? Really. So, don't hesitate. Just go. And, take your time; savor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good - especially for CambridgemanhattanVIPDined on 11/6/2014Somehow, this restaurant has existed for 7 years without my having been aware of it. I learned about it through chowhound. It was very good. The bread was excellent. The foie gras creme brulee could have had a stronger taste of foie, but it was good, as was the accompanying toasted brioche. The bavette was delicious, and delicious the next morning for breakfast. The composition of the panna cotta changes from day to day. It was very tasty. The dining room is small, seating about 30 people. And it is possible to have a conversation without shouting. Service was good - friendly, attentive, unobtrusive. Altogether, well worth patronizing.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb.LosPHDined on 10/30/2014We eat here every few months. Best in Boston and truly one of the best in US. Highest quality inspired preparation and service 100% consistent from visit to visit. Love the intimacy of locale and hope they keep that scale. Prices are almost too reasonable for the quality of the cooking. Creative and inspired with best freshest local ingredients but grounded in cuisine techniques. We lack the words to describe as it deserves. Exquisito al paladar en un ambiente de exquisita sencillez.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mushroom NirvanaLucullusVIPDined on 10/30/2014A special mushroom tasting menu was brilliant in conception and flawless in execution. But every dinner here is worth a detour.Special Features:
- Always deliversJemskiVIPDined on 10/30/2014Yet another first rate experience at TW Food. This was our 6th or 7th time dining at TW Food and once again the experience was excellent. This was one of the themed dinners (mushrooms) and was a sublime fusion (and I mean that as a positive) of Europe with Asia, regularly performed with finesse at this restaurant. I also had the wine pairings, which included sake and sherry as well as off the beaten track wine selections, and these both complemented the food and gave even a seasoned oenophile some food for thought. Don't just take my word for it.......Special Features:
- Elegant and inspired seasonal foodessabagelVIPDined on 10/30/2014Tasting menus at T.W. Food never miss a beat. Our most recent meal was a mushroom-themed dinner: the food was inventive while still completely accessible (i.e., satisfying, delicious). It definitely pushes creative boundaries--the dessert course that evening included mushroom ice cream--but it is done so thoughtfully that the final product is both surprising and delicious--it never feels like invention just for the sake of invention. Warm, knowledgeable, and impeccably professional service and an elegant atmosphere complete the picture.Special Features:
- A brilliant mushroom dinnerjr2204VIPDined on 10/29/2014The annual "special-event" found Tim Wiechmann, his chef-de-cuisine Connor Dennehy, and the whole TW crew on absolutely top form: dish after dish ranged from delicious to mind-blowing. Beautifully chosen wine pairings, the usual friendly and alert service ... memorable ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmyJ.AmyJDined on 10/29/2014Our favorite restaurant in Cambridge. The food is always exceptional with a friendly professional wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Totally deliciousMainers4Dined on 10/26/2014Out for a special but casual dinner with my daughters - food was terrific - serving sizes moderate - service attentive and gracious, in no way overbearing or intrusive - prix fixe not inexpensive but worth every penny - beautifully presented - and the desserts!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Sunday brunchDanbeeDined on 10/26/2014Imaginative menu, good service, moderately priced. A very enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- Recommended for Sunday brunchPLLLLVIPDined on 10/26/2014Very good food and service. And very affordable offers! 3 course prix fixe for $35. Would definitely go there again!Special Features:
- Great late dinner & tasting menucatiyinVIPDined on 10/25/2014My friend and I got the tasting menu, and all the preparation and ingredients just spoke to the season. There were nice surprises with unexpected flavor combinations, yet it was all down to earth and very comforting. Service was prompt and friendly. Overall, it was a very pleasant evening, and we will definitely come again.Special Features:
- Fresh delicious farm-to-table foodkikigreenDined on 10/24/2014This restaurant is one of only a small handful in Cambridge that do fresh, local, farm-to-table food well. The flavors were superb. The vegetarian and beef dishes were incredible and the salty chocolate dessert was one of the best sweets we've ever tasted. Perfect service, quiet vibe. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing but netFoodgirlDined on 10/23/2014Great food and service. Definitely will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prix Fixe is Amazing!GabyDined on 10/14/2014The Tuesday Prix Fixe is not only amazing, but it's a steal. I love T.W. Food!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/11/2014We love how small it is and nice and quiet. Most restaurants are much to busy and noisy. If one cannot talk and hear no point going out. The food and service are excellent.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/10/2014Very special. The place is small and intimate. The wait staff truly cares about your whole dining experience and the food is beautifully created and delicious. They love what they do here and bring you right into that mind set by providing an aesthetically pleasing atmosphere with some extraordinary dishes. The emphasis on local and seasonal takes it up another notch. Worth the money and worthy of your most special date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A few mistakesAnonymousVIPDined on 10/4/2014Amanda was our server and was very pleasant. I called ahead to see if they could accompdate a low-salt diet. They said they could, but actually were unable to do so, and simply didn't add salt to already quite salty food. (If you have heart failure, run way.) Both proteins were a bit overdone, and my BF was a bit annoyed to have his steak cooked beyond medium rare. Presentation was nice. A second glass of wine showed up at maybe 3 oz. We thought surely there was more to come and it was a half pour, but it wasn't, and we were charged full price. This is a great place and hopefully this was just an off night. I've always put it up there with Bondir, Craigie, Salts, and Rialto. Hopefully that is still true but that night was a turnoff.
- 1st time visit left me wanting moreOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/3/2014A friend suggested we go for the chef tasting. We had 1 each of the vegetarian and the omnivore with the wine pairings, and we shared. Not a lot of food, but certainly enough. What there was a lot of was variety. Too much to keep track of. There were 7 courses, so for us, 14 half courses. And a generous serving of wine with each, so forgive me if I'm a little fuzzy on the details. A seviche that was perfection; an adorable arrangement of just about every teenie-tiny potato know to man, with "potato soil", made from mushrooms, I think; foie gras: I don't want to know what happened in the goose's mouth, but it fairly melted in mine; thank God each menu had the cheese plate, so there was no bloodshed. And so on. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Outstanding ExperienceEatDessertFirstDined on 9/26/2014I had an outstanding meal at T.W. Food. Everything from the amuse-bouche through to the dessert was absolutely delicious, innovative, and the perfect portion as well. Foie-gras crème brûlée! The service was good, but not the most attentive. In all, I would recommend this restaurant to anyone without hesitation.Special Features:
- T.W. Food receives an A+AmyJDined on 9/23/2014Charming restaurant with delicious, fresh, inspiring dishes perfectly matched with paired wines. This was my first visit to T.W. Food and I was impressed from start to finish. The decor, portion sizes, beautifully arranged plates and professional yet unpretentious wait staff all make for an enjoyable experience. Perfect place for a romantic dinner or small gathering. Enjoyed the entire experience and will definitely be back again for another fabulous meal and their amazing homemade bread that has the perfect crunchy crust with a chewy center!Special Features:
- Such a great find!playneDined on 9/21/2014Thank you to Aaron and all the TW staff for making our night so memorable and delicious! It was a lovely evening spent with great friends~thank you for making their birthdays special~and the food was just so special. seasonal, fresh, petite plates and so flavorful! thank you again, we'll be back!Special Features:
- Best kept secret!chefclfDined on 9/21/2014Eating at TW Food is a pleasure because the owners and chefs actually care and understand about the food they serve, a rarity it seems nowadays. Ingredients and flavors are perfectly balanced, dishes are beautifully presented - artistic but not contrived. Thankfully the menu choices are small (a delightful contrast to most places where the menu gives me mental indigestion before I have even eaten) but varied so accommodating to broad tastes. Every dish appealed to me. What a pleasure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- spectacular secretOut2EatDined on 9/20/2014TW Food is easy to miss, tucked inconspicuously in North Cambridge, and I've never seen it advertised. Find it. The food is spectacular, the atmosphere intimate and the servers congenial. We chose the Tasting Menu, two of us vegetarian and two not. While the meat eaters raved about their smoked scallop, I delighted in carrots with hay roasted husk cherries, creamy black pepper vinaigrette and pickled ramps. The broccoli soup was velvety smooth, just the right warmth, decorated with buttery brioche croutons, raw mushroom slivers, and nasturtiums. Every dish was amazing in its subtlety, complexity, and beauty on the plate.Special Features:
- Excellent as alwaysmaish1Dined on 9/19/2014T.W. Food is a wonderful restaurant. I've been there many times. The food is as good as any I've ever eaten. (I particularly recommend the foie gras creme brulee.) Their selection of beers is good but limited. (I didn't order wine with dinner, so I can't talk about the wine list, but my wife liked the Chardonnay she ordered.) Their dessert wines are very good; I haven't seen Tokaji on a menu before, and I really like it. As for the service, we had two servers at various times. One was fine, answering questions well and solicitous that we were enjoying ourselves. The other was maybe too present; I felt she was hovering over us when we didn't need help. Still, that's a minor quibble with a restaurant my wife and I have long enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ragdollDined on 9/16/2014We had the wine tasting menu and it was beyond wonderful. I can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Good but not greatjed63Dined on 9/14/2014Heard great things about the restaurant but was a little disappointed. Atmosphere very nice, menu looked great, but food was just average. Biggest problem, which is common in less hyped restaurants, too much salt. I always find that salt is a weak chef's way to make the food have taste. Keep working on it - great potential.Special Features:
- ChatDined on 9/14/2014Phenomenal experience. No issues at all. Food was excellent. Very romantic setting. Best brunch I've had in BostonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchBirdsallVIPDined on 9/14/2014Poached eggs on Duck Hash and a Crouque Madame with a sweat touch of Strawberry made for a delicious Prix Fix Brunch. If you are interested in a more intimate brunch than the busier Sunday spots like Hennriettas and Gaslight, see if you can make a reservation for one of the hand full of tables at TW Food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food mediacre serviceBiotech150Dined on 9/13/2014The food was great as usual, however the service can use some improvements. The wine glasses did not get refilled, took quite some time to clear away the plates after the entres, etc. Overall, for this price tag a much better service would have been nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely location and cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014I took my fiance here for a surprise birthday dinner and we had a fantastic time. We ordered the tasting menu and we enjoyed each of our courses. The waitstaff is very attentive and super helpful in making decisions about wine pairings. Wonderful place!Special Features:
- Tomato in excelsisjr2204VIPDined on 9/10/2014T. W. Food's special dinners are often a highlight; the recent "Celebration of the Tomato" was most definitely one -- constantly surprising and imaginative, with a high percentage of outright knockouts. Wine pairings, too, exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!DougDined on 9/5/2014We are from Baltimore, had heard about this place from my wine group, a very discerning lot with food as well as wine. It is an exceptional restaurant in every way. Aaron, our waiter, went above and beyond with us. If you are fortunate and lucky, have dinner there!Special Features:
- Great food!LV1981Dined on 9/3/2014My boyfriend and I went to T.W. Food for the first time to celebrate his birthday and we had a great time. We were warmly welcomed at the door and allowed to choose our table. During the course of the meal, the staff was attentive and friendly. We never felt rushed to get through our meal, which allowed us to enjoy the tasting menu and our time together. They were accommodating and allowed us to substitute the soup on the testing menu for the gazpacho from the prix fixe menu. The food was fantastic and we left with bulging bellies! Would highly recommend this T.W. Food! We will be back again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014The food was fabulous. Small portions, but that's how we should be eating. So tasty! We will certainly eat at T.W. Food again!Special Features:
- mellenVIPDined on 8/29/2014We went during restaurant week and the prix fixe was delicious! They did not skimp at all with either the quality of the food or the choices on offer or the wine pairings. The dark chocolate budino dessert was to die for.Special Features:
- First time visitingThecakeninjaDined on 8/29/2014My roommates and I went for restaurant week and had a great time. The mussels in a chorizo apple cider sauce was the most delicious mussel dish I've ever had; very inventive and complex. This really set the tone for the rest of the dinner. Everyone enjoyed their food very much and the service was excellent. We loved all of the wines that they paired with the dishes too. If there was anything to complain about it would be the cherry brownie sundae. The brownie was kind of dense and dry, the ice cream didn't taste like cherry at all. My roommate commented "I would rather have had a huge glass of this brown sugar whipped cream." But really in the grand scheme of things, this was a wonderful meal and we plan to go back again.Special Features:
- Nice Dine-Out Week SurprisektamfunDined on 8/27/2014Three of us made a last minute decision to try out this restaurant according to the previous reviews. Everything we had from the free bread and butter to the end of the 3-course prixe-fixe was delicious with excellent quality to me. I particularly like the wild rice miexed with crispty bacon bits and eggplant. It's tasty with interesting texture. Together, we've tried these dishes - Cream Burlee Foi Gras, Chilled tomatoe and cantaloupe soup, Bluefish, Pork Loin, Bavette steak. For dessert, we had Bundino and berries with sweet cream. Bundino does not disappoint with sea salt chocolate custard. Our waitress was very attentative and friendly. Yes! I will definitely go back to try different offerings!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A sparkling jewelNancyCDined on 8/26/2014We went to T. W. Food for the first time during Restaurant Week. Based on other reveiws we expected our food to be exquisite (it was) but we didn't realize how wonderful the ambiance and service would be as well. This has instantly become our new favorite special occasion place.Special Features: