Turmeric Indian Dining
405 Maple Ave East
Vienna, VA 22101Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Turmeric Indian Dining
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.dineturmeric.com/
- Phone: 7039380100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Takeout, Wine
A word from Turmeric Indian Dining
Savor a contemporary dining experience that doesn’t compromise the traditional flavors of authentic Indian cuisine. Within an atmosphere of relaxed elegance, diners will experience regional flavors artfully crafted using zestful blends of turmeric and other ancient spices.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Turmeric Indian Dining reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (14)fit for foodies (7)great for lunch (5)good for groups (4)kid-friendly (2)special occasion (2)romantic (1)Show More
- Poor choicebarbVIPDined on 8/23/2014The restaurant is very nice with linen tablecloths and napkins and the setting is fairly lovely for such a small restaurant in a strip mall. And after that things went downhill fast. We had to ASK to place a drink order. My friend ordered an appetizer only and I also ordered one. Hers showed up and it was another 5 minutes at least before mine showed up WITH my entree! By then her appetizer was cold. We ordered bread but it never arrive. (We were not charged for it.) Again it was another 5 minutes or more before we could flag down a waiter to order beer. Had to flag down a waiter once more to ask for a check. Food was nothing special. tandoori chicken wings that were ok and goat curry that really had no flavor. We won't be back!
- Great Indian fooddiscerningdinerVIPDined on 8/22/2014We have been to Turmeric several times in the last year and have found the food to be excellent. Their tikka masala chicken is outstanding, rogan josh yummy and my husband loves the vindaloo. The are one of the few restaurants that serves puri in the area. The ambience is peaceful and well done not over the top nor gaudy as are some ethnic places. Service is impeccable We highly rec'd this "neighborhood gem"Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/15/2014Superb food. Parrupu vada was delicious. The restaurant should consider reducing how many non-veg dishes they have and increasing the number of veg dishes. Veg dishes had great flavor and spice balance. Appreciated all the food a great deal.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/3/2014Best samosas I ever had. Sauces very very good. Service delightful . Will return again and again,. Want to try other dishes. Close to home. Easy parking.Special Features:
- TumericOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2014Excellent food and great service! It is hard to find a thali plate and Tumeric offers the option along with a very full menu. The spinach dish was superb, the samosas were tasty. Definitely a place to come to if you enjoy good fresh Indian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food especially from KeralaSvanvanDined on 6/28/2014Excellent food and wonderful attentive service. We ran into some friends and were greeting them when two waiters hastened to reseat them so we could be together--very thoughtful! The food was great! I am a spice "wimp" and my husband is the opposite--it is the one Indian restaurant that I know that takes you at your word when you say "very spicy for him, very mild for me"--terrific all the way around--Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JimrVIPDined on 6/21/2014Consistently good Indian food in a very nice atmosphere, quiet, with friendly and attentive service. We have eaten here numerous times and find that most of the menu items we have tried are very good to excellentSpecial Features:
- Local placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/22/2014The food was ok. The chicken murgh was a bit dry but the naan was heavenly!
- bette than average food & serviceTownieDined on 5/10/2014WE just moved to Vienna and enjoy neighborhood finds rather than chain restaurants. We like to seek out ethnic foods first- Indian food being one of our favorite. Turmeric was better than most restaurants we've tried and enjoyed our wait-staff. The total bill was surprising reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food & servicechrisDined on 5/8/2014I love trying new places, and when my budget permits me to go somewhere nice I rarely go back to the same ones. Turmeric indian dining, however, is the exception. It's fancy but not as crazy expensive as some places in town, and the food and service are always amazing. As pretty much all of the other reviewers mention, you HAVE to get the maharaja platter and the cochin shrimp curry. I also love the cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food..OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/3/2014..both South Indian and North Indian which is rare in this area. So there is something for everyone to enjoy. We always enjoy our dinners there. They have catered several special occasions for us.Special Features:
- The following 63 reviews are from the Turmeric Indian Dining reviews archive.
- DisappointedObserverDined on 4/23/2014Visited this place in April, 2014 as we were passing through the area with a friend. Food was far from authentic. All three of us had had ordered South Indian specialities, so we cannot comment on other regional dishes. The place looked rather tired; and the service, while not slow, suffered from a lack of enthusiasm.
- Mixed up orderbreakfastloverVIPDined on 3/29/2014I ordered Chicken Tikka Masala, but got Paneer instead. As soon as I pointed out the issue, they went to fix it, but it was still kind of awkward to sit and stare at my friends eating. We were disappointed with the Pakora Platter we ordered. It was very greasy and didn't seem very traditional. The other food was pretty good, but I wouldn't qualify it as outstanding. They were considerate when I asked for no cilantro, which was very much appreciated.
- Consistently good Indian foodJimrVIPDined on 3/23/2014Consistently good Indian food in a very nice atmosphere. We are slowly making our way through the menu offerings and have found all the items we've tried so far to be delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian RestaurantBrianinViennaDined on 3/1/2014This is a great restaurant with a large menu and lots of options. The staff is very friendly and the food is fantastic. The food did take a little longer than expected, but not too long. The setting looks very modern with good lighting, great decorations, and a low noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding Indian food!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/26/2014This was our first time at Turmeric. It had been recommended by Indian friends from DC who venture out to the wilds of Vienna for good Indian food. Now we understand why, and we will be regular patrons. Each of us had a thali plate, including one vegetarian, so that we could sample several items. Each was delicious. Turmeric's chef knows sauces and flavors and uses them in ways that don't smother the taste of the underlying meat or vegetable. And the space is quiet, making it easy for our table to chat. Great food and good conversation - what could be better?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always loved Turmeric...awellingsterDined on 2/14/2014This is our neighborhood go-to place, ever since we moved here back in 2008 when the restaurant was called Aditi Bistro. The food is consistently good and the ambience terrific. Try the eggplant appetizer (Imli Baingan), Rogan Josh and the fish/shrimp curries. Their pepper chicken is excellent as well. I can't think of any dish that I didn't like. Love the Kerala influence on their menu.Special Features:
- Book Club lunch meeting 5 peopleCosmaryDined on 2/2/2014Our first time at this restaurant to have Sunday lunch at 12:30 and discuss the book, "Interpreter of Maladies." Only four of us came and all did the lunch buffet. The food tasted okay, but not great, and was only luke-warm. The service was spotty. We ordered some tea as soon as we sat down. The waiter asked if we wanted cardamon tea. We said sure, why not. The cup was small, so we ordered another half-way through the lunch. I was shocked when the bill came and I saw that the cups of tea had cost $24. One of my friends paid the bill with her Chase credit card, but the waiter forgot to return it to her when he brought the receipt. We had to drive back to the restaurant Sunday night during the Super Bowl to retrieve her credit card.Special Features:
- Pleasant SurpriseSplendidDined on 1/17/2014Indian cuisine is my favorite. I've eaten at many different restaurants around the Metropolitan area. However, I searched in Vienna and found Turmeric. What turned into a try, ended up being a great find. My only constructive comment would be the delay in getting our check. Other than that, I will definitely return. And bring others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gone WAY downhillOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/4/2014we went this time b/c first time was solid indian food. second time (5-6 months later in january) restaurant was empty, food was cold and tasteless. awful. never again.
- Delightful!BuonDined on 12/26/2013We had attentive service throughout. We enjoyed a very moist chicken tikka, tasty but not overbearing chicken korma, and a spicy lamb biryani. We enjoy Indian foods, but not to the extent that we seek it often. This restaurant really provides a very good menu with tasty options for everyone. Their appeal is in their ability to deliver outstanding dishes at very moderate prices, and they are always helpful and accommodating, making it a pleasure to dine in their lovely atmosphere. I heartily recommend you give them a try. I don't think you will be a bit disappointed. It's more likely you will look forward to dining once again at this little gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst Service EverRyanVIPDined on 12/22/2013Seriously the worst service I've had in years. Dinner took almost 3 hours, with 50 minutes of that waiting to get a check, and the first 30 minutes waiting to get a drink. There were 3 other tables occupied. Really frustrating experience. Will never return.
- Great Saturday nightBritEatersDined on 12/21/2013We wanted somewhere different that would cater to all the family from children to grandparents, turmeric delivered. Great tastings food with friendly service and even friendlier price, a great mix.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Indian FoodJoanneVIPDined on 12/16/2013This is a great place to get together with friends. The food is delicious and was perfectly seasoned for all -- spicy for some, not so for those of us who wanted mild. The ambiance was terrific and was perfect for friends to get together and catch up. We will definitely be going back. Also, the wine was delicious and generous.Special Features:
- Best Indian Restaurant inDC areaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/12/2013I've eaten at Tumeric twice in the last month and plan to go again next week, because of the superb food, ambiance, and accessibility. I've never been a huge fan of Indian food, but the fare here is superb, and the presentation is outstanding. Coupled with this, the décor of the restaurant and the professionalism of the staff are top notch. This is a very unusual Indian restaurant and is not to be missed!Special Features:
- Good Experiencemcan815Dined on 12/12/2013Top quality Indian dining. Prepared well, prompt service and reasonably priced.Special Features:
- So Glad We Tried ThisIEatFoodDined on 12/7/2013I've wanted to try Indian food for a while, so this was my birthday choice. The restaurant made a good first impression. The lighting was subtle and the seating area clean, inviting, and comfortable. The wait staff greeted us warmly, giving us the right amount of attention all evening, helpfully answering questions and making suggestions. Every dish was perfectly timed, perfectly seasoned, perfectly portioned. We ordered the eggplant and lamb appetizers, two curries and a kebob for dinner, and they brought out a rice pudding (more like a rich cake) complete with the embarrassing Happy Birthday song. If you already like Indian food, this place is excellent. If you're curious about Indian food, this is an excellent place to start.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you are headed to JamminOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/23/2013If you are headed to Jammin Java for music, stop at Tumeric before or after. The food is good and the service great.Special Features:
- Very good food at a great priceMEB1VIPDined on 11/17/2013This was my second visit to Turmeric. We ordered a bunch of appetizers (get the eggplant!) and enjoyed our various main courses. Two complaints: Two of us split a platter that was supposed to come out with naan, and even after reminding the waiter, he never brought it out. We had plenty of food with the appetizers so I suppose it was for the best but the principle of it remains. Also our gulab jamun dessert was served cold, and in my experience is always served hot - so we had to ask them to microwave them for us.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than the Indian foodHappydinerDined on 11/1/2013Better than the Indian food we have been driving miles away to consume. May be the best samosas I've ever had. I couldn't believe we just walked in - why isn't this the busiest restaurant in vienna?Special Features:
- Regrettably, I was somewhatchefDined on 9/28/2013Regrettably, I was somewhat disappointed. Several items lacked flavor. I've eaten a lot of Indian food in 68 years,both in India and around the world, but this just missed the mark. Don't know that I would return.
- Warm, Friendly, and TastyCynthiaVIPDined on 8/25/2013We received a warm welcome, our server was attentive without being obtrusive, and the food was excellent. I highly recommend Turmeric!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Taste of India in ViennaOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/17/2013I took my friend and his son to Turmeric Indian Dining last Friday night as a send off for another year at ODU and was not disappointed! This was my friend's son's first truly Indian Dining experience and he loved it all from appetizers to meat entrees to vegetarian entrees. Truly a great blend of spices and did not rely on too much oil like many Indian restaurants do. Our waiter was a very attentive and a lot of fun that really added to the experience. Because there were not any pictures of the restaurant in the profile, I have to admit I was a bit nervous to see what it would look like - but the decor is very trendy and feels a bit upscale.Special Features:
- YummyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/11/2013Turmeric is a favorite for my wife and I. The food is very good and the atmosphere is relaxed cozy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful discoveryMEB1VIPDined on 7/28/2013My family and I were delighted we decided to branch out and try a new Indian restaurant because we discovered Turmeric. Our food was superb, especially given the prices. We will definitely be returning. I had chicken tikka masala and it was perfection. The eggplant appetizer was probably the best thing on the menu. I had a milk tea with dessert that was also delicious. In short, bring your appetites!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a good meal with fairOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/26/2013Had a good meal with fair service on our first visit. This time, waited for over 10 minutes for a server to ask for our drink order. Drinks arrived about 20 minutes later. Appetizers were served to all at the same time. Took another 20 minutes for the waiter to take our order. After another 30 minutes our main courses arrived one by one with the server asking one of my party, "Did you order something?" Food was served just barely warmed as if it had been sitting on a steam table for some time. Dinner took over 2 hours to finish and this in a local Indian restaurant with not many diners. Indifferent service is one thing but indifferent food is another. We will not be back.
- This is a nice neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/26/2013This is a nice neighborhood restaurant. we have had food from here many times through take out and finally decided to eat at the restaurant. The atmosphere is relaxed and relatively intimate for a mall located restaurant. Service is quick. The food has a wide variety, with varying degrees of spiciness.
- Great food choices and flavors;Liv4foodDined on 7/18/2013Great food choices and flavors; staff knowledgeable and willing to guide in selections. The service can be a bit slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable But BlandKelseyanntDined on 7/17/2013The service was wonderful. I haven't been to another Indian restaurant where the service was as on point and just all around respectful and their whenever we needed something. I met a friend there on a Wednesday evening. They're weren't that many people there but I liked the ambiance so we could chat and catch up. They server was very helpful with suggestions of what we should get to eat. I got the Korma Chicken. While what we chose was good the flavors themselves were a little bland and you had to watch for rough pieces in the "chunks of chicken". I did really enjoy the garlic naan though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- won't returngolfgalDined on 7/12/2013Very slow service. Food so over-spiced you couldn't taste anything else but the spice.