Tula Restaurant & Lounge
47 Easton Ave
New Brunswick, NJ 08901Neighborhood:
Fusion / EclecticPrice: $30 and under
Tula Restaurant & Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tulalounge.com/
- Phone: 7322460014x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 4:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Bar open until 2am on Thursday-Saturday.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Fusion / Eclectic, International
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: For your catering needs please contact us at 732.246.0014 or via our private dining form at www.tulalounge.com
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining space is available for up to 90 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Gus Sleiman 7322460014x
- Entertainment: On certain evenings Tula hosts a variety of different musical acts, from live jazz band's to some of the most reputable DJ's.
- Cross Street: Somerset
- Public Transit: Tula is located 2 blocks away from the New Jersey Transit train station in New Brunswick. A walking distance to Rutgers The State University, and a 5 minute drive to the Theaters on Livingston Avenue.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Valet Parking Available Friday-Saturday. Professionally and independently operated by the New Brunswick Parking Authority-$9 per car flat fee. Metered Street parking. The Vue/Gateway parking Deck on the corner of Easton Avenue & Somerset Street.
A word from Tula Restaurant & Lounge
Tula was born of a vision and passion to create a unique dining experience. Tula was created by European restaurateurs combining the artistry of Mediterranean flavors and styles then adding modern American innovations of comfort and quality embraced in a casual elegance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tula Restaurant & Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
- Memorable OccasionbeachykeenDined on 5/18/2014The restaurant is lovely on the inside, soft lighting and great stone bar. We were there with a party of six for Rutgers Graduation. They accommodated us very well and we enjoyed the prix fixe Graduation dinner, selecting the salmon and crab cake for entree, after the baby spinach with pear salad. We had the included champagne toast before the dessert. It was a wonderful occasion for us, but we did enjoy the restaurant very much and would recommend it. It is a little off the beaten path for downtown New Brunswick but walked it easily from the Heldrich Hotel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rutgers Graduation at TulamwtransplantDined on 5/18/2014On a very busy day in New Brunswick, I was able to make a reservation for a medium-sized party at Tula. The Prix Fixe menu was delicious, and the ambience was charming and cozy. Unlike most New Brunswick restaurants, Tula made sure not to cram everyone in, as the seating was spacious. The service was slow (perhaps because of the busy atmosphere), but the food was worth the wait. Had the tomato salad, salmon, and dulce de leche.Special Features:
- Nice nightMichaelDined on 4/18/2014Had a very nice night. The food was good, the atmosphere was was also good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local FavoriteScooterDined on 3/28/2014Tula's has wonderful lunches--delicious salads, sandwiches, burgers, and entrees--and can easily handles groups of 6-12. It's near the Rutgers University campus in New Brunswick as well as Robert Wood Johnson Hospital and Johnson & Johnson headquarters so convenient for groups coming from any of those institutions. Still, it's usually possible to get a quiet table for lunch and the food is delicious and reasonably priced. There is a full bar and a nice dinner menu as well, but I usually go for lunch--to talk one-on-one with colleagues or celebrate an occasion with half a dozen people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our food experience at TulaTheoDined on 3/22/2014Comfortable, but short on elegance which for me affected the dining experience. Waiter was good and knowledgeable but forgot to deliver a drink to one member of my party, however he was very prompt and courteous. The scallops were delicious, very tender. The pork chops were large and very tasty with great sides. The lamb was OK but it had a very odd seasoning which was overpowering which ruined the dish. Deserts were limited in variety and so we passed on them.
- awesomeivolinaDined on 3/20/2014Amazing amazing amazing food and service, it's truly new and beautiful place that will soon be very popular!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First choiceHappyDinerDined on 3/20/2014Looking forward to going back, which is the best review I can ever give a restaurant. Food was delicious, service excellent. Appealing selection of salads, appetizers and first courses as well as entrees. And ample selections for vegetarians!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Score!davishDined on 2/28/2014Our party of 4 all enjoyed their drinks, apps and meals. Salmon tartare with avocado nicely seasoned and no fishy smell. Generous salad portions. Diver Scallops in my opinion should always be served with mash potatoes (Tula serves this way along with greens.) Cabbage soup nice surprise (pureed) awesome we started dipping our pommes frites in them. Tiger shrimp had good flavor with nice support veggies. It's obvious the chef is tasting his food because salt was not necessary on anything nor is it present on the table.( a sign that he is confident) Solid place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good But Service Could Be BetterUomoMattDined on 2/22/2014The food was prepared and presented well. Our waiter wasn't bad, just not very attentive and made mistakes. I left him about 20% so I wasn't mad, I just was a little miffed because he had confusion with our appetizers. It wasn't crowded so I guess I had less tolerance for mistakes. However, he was very helpful with the wine list.Special Features:
- Underwhelmed by Prixe FixeKrisPDined on 2/14/2014I have been to Tula once before and was very impressed with their regular dinner menu! I was super excited to take my boyfriend here for Valentine's day and made the reservation well in advance. The website did not indicate a prixe fixe Valentine's day menu so I was hoping for the regular dinner menu. Turns out, it was prixe fixe and none of the regular menu favorites were there. I was underwhelmed by the choices and settled for crab cakes with greens and asparagus - also underwhelming and my boyfriend got the steak with mashed potatoes. he enjoyed his meal but felt that his steak was more well done than medium as he asked for. There were 3 options for dessert and 2 of them were variations of creme brulee...not sure how that was allowed!Special Features:
- Food was greatveros925Dined on 2/14/2014My hubby and I decided to visit Tula for Valentine's day, and due to the weather there was no valet =( The drinks were great (I had the blanquita) and the staff were very nice. I was disappointed that they only offered the Pre-Fixe because it was Valentine's day. (I had viewed the menu when making my reservation and had my heart set on trying the bread pudding) My biggest issue was that I felt like they were rushing to clear our table after each course & it felt a bit uncomfortable. All in all the dinner was enjoyable, (my salmon was a little undercooked for my liking, but they handled it very nicely and quickly brought me a new dish) the food was very tasty, and I will definitely be visiting again. Cannot wait to try the bread pudding!! =)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for those special timesRaviDined on 2/14/2014It was very nice Valentine's Day lunch. Even though New Brunswick had not really cleaned up after itself after the snow storm the previous day, lunch was very nice at Tula Lounge. We practically had the place to ourselves. I guess dinner was a busy time that day. They didn't have the Valentine's Day Pre Fixe menu ready yet and we ordered off the regular menu. It actually worked out as a better deal. Nice music and ambiance and friendly staff. Good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambienceKat4friendsDined on 1/25/2014Went on a snowy night to meet old friends. Happy they didn't have live music because it may have been too loud due to the small size of open area. The food choices sounded better than they tasted, but we still enjoyed the great service, great drinks from extensive drink menu, unhurried atmosphere and cozy lighting and decor. We will go again, but wish the food was up to the hype.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great nightrutgersguyDined on 1/24/2014I went out with my girlfriend on friday and had a great time. We were seated quickly and our waitress was very friendly. The food came out at just the right time and was delicious. I enjoyed every course, which is something that doesn't happen often at restaurants. We also really enjoyed the atmosphere; which was very chill and relaxed. I would definitely go back again, probably soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- vibrant NY Eve funBruceDined on 12/31/2013energetic celebration and festive bar scene - good for all ages but median age is mid thirties. food was delicious! good date placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Place to eatAnniversaryfunDined on 12/31/2013Had a wonderful time on the new years eve. Would recommend people for their good food.Special Features:
- Good but not GreatJerryTheKVIPDined on 12/14/2013Very nice service here. The wine list was eh. The particular wine I ordered off the list came out in the wrong year - which I pointed out and was given the excuse - 'well I think this one just came in'. My food was good but extremely rich - a pasta special. The salmon two of my friends got looked very dried out. My date's pasta was good but not great. Not sure I'd go back - there are plenty of other places to try in New Brunswick.Special Features:
- Late dishkdrskiDined on 12/7/2013server was inexperienced and one of four main dishes did not arrive until he other three were finished eating. Received profuse appologies and a free round of desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too Salty.......TravelDiva612Dined on 11/25/2013I ordered the special of the day, which appeared to be homemade ravioli with spinach and feta (or ricotta-not sure) with shrimp and broccoli. I can only imagine it would have been very delicious had it not been for the immense amount of salt. There were two other people who dined with me. One of them ordered the mixed seafood and fettuccine. He had the same experience with too much salt. Everything else about the restaurant was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was bad and theGreatSteakDined on 11/15/2013The service was bad and the food was not as good as the menu would have you believe. Very noisy. WOrst place to eat in New Brunswick
- NIcely decorated and comfortableOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/14/2013NIcely decorated and comfortable seating. Pleasant wait staff. Very good food and drinks. We enjoyed ourselves and will return.Special Features:
- Seems to be run by college studentsRobinDined on 11/2/2013Came in for five o'clock reservation on Saturday. There were about five 20 something's working and we were the only people there. Despite that, the service was very slow and impersonal. Waitstaff seemed more interested in gossiping with each other than actually working. Had to get up from the table several times to request additional water, bread on table etc. food was ok. Definitely not worth the price. Wouldn't go back.
- Good times with friendsOnthemoveDined on 10/12/2013Check in was easy and warm, and despite some of our party of 10 being late, the restaurant was very understanding. The food and drinks were excellent, nice ambiance, however the service was extremely slow. I'm not sure if our server was just overwhelmed by our party size or if this was standard. In any case that was my only "complaint." We all had a good time however and would certainly recommend this restaurant and would return as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasant atmosphere withChrisDined on 10/12/2013Very pleasant atmosphere with great food and good service. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedcollegeparentDined on 10/11/2013We found Tula to be very disappointing. The food was salty and uninteresting although the menu had looked good. My Fruit de Mer had two unshelled mussels, two small overcooked shrimps and a few pieces of very chewy octopus yet was quite pricey. The dish was very salty. The sword fish was overcooked and lacked taste. It seemed as if it had been frozen previously. The porkchop was a nice size portion, but again, overcooked and salty. The sauce on the rigatoni tasted less than homemade. The beer was watered down. They had some seasonal beers but the waitress did not know what they were and was reluctant to go find out. She called over to the bar to ask, which made the whole thing awkward. I felt like I was in a scene from Restaurant Impossible
- We were there 7 pm on a Saturday,kmccoyVIPDined on 9/28/2013We were there 7 pm on a Saturday, and it was rather quiet; I imagine it might get noisier later.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time experienceJb34677Dined on 9/13/2013The open environment made for a noise level that was not conducive to carrying on a conversation. Menu selection was good but the food was to salty. Service was excellent. Good for a late evening snack or a drink after work but not a fine dining experience.Special Features:
- Great food and drinks!CrystalDined on 8/23/2013Food, drinks and service were great! We did have to ask to be moved due to the heat/humidity from outside. The restaurant has wall openings to outside and they didn't have air on (-just fans). This is my only complaint because I would not go there in the summer again. Comfort is important. They had interesting things on the menu. Would of tried the soup but it was too hot in the restaurant so I subtracted 2 stars for discomfort and the staff said that's the way the owner keeps it despite complaints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time at Tula.wineanddineVIPDined on 8/20/2013I didn't know what to expect when I read the positive reviews and saw the address on Easton Avenue. A dozen years ago and more I ate several times at the Stuff Yer Face next door and knew the usual food on that block (not Clydz or Old Bay quality), but I was really amazed at the quality at Tula. What another noted, that it is a dive, is probably accurate ( I visited a couple of weeks before school starts ). I can imagine the weekends during terms. Secondly, they do have a great gazpacho. The risotto with fresh, local veggies was also very good (especially the mushrooms). Perhaps a bit expensive (as was noted) for the wines at $8 and higher per glass, but beers seem very reasonable. I would recommend them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Gazpacho Ever!NetworkGuyNJDined on 7/29/2013Tula is both a classier dive bar and a nice restaurant. However... I feel $50 was overpriced for the $35 seating atmosphere. We had a 5 course Prix Fare meal for $50. I feel the steak and salmon were too salty. Desert was average. The table service was very attentive. And, obviously, their drink selection was vast. Be warned though. I feel dining here is only going to work ealier in the week, as it does turn into a college dive bar.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2013Went here for my wife and I anniversary dinner and no complaints. They surprised us with complimentary champaign and desert. Service and food were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place In New BrunswickTerriPDined on 5/19/2013Tula's Restaurant was a great choice for our dinner party after Rutger's Graduation. They had a 3 course prix fixe menu for $37 that was quite extensive and delicious. I would definitely recommend Tula's for a special occassion dinner, date night or for a great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd time there... Still great!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/18/2013This was my second dinner at Tula within 6 months and food is still great!!!! The staff was courteous, informative (but not pretentious), and attentive (but not annoying or overwhelming). I would recommend this place for foodies, date nites and group dinner outings... The ambiance is nice and it doesn't get too loud so an inside voice is all that is necessary to carry on conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had lunch on a Sunday afternoon.JoanDined on 5/12/2013Had lunch on a Sunday afternoon. The food was very good. The staff attentive and friendly. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not sure why it was so emptyOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 5/11/2013not sure why it was so empty since the food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at Tula. FoodJaneneDined on 4/13/2013First time at Tula. Food was delicious, service was great. Will definitely return!Special Features:
- Excellent service, deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/13/2013Excellent service, delicious food, great abiance, food came out quick. Wine selection was wonderful and food was priced moderatley to mid-level- meals range from $20-40 dollars.Portions are elegant, not a large portion restuarant. Great fries and steak, try their specials!Special Features:
- Adult food on Easton AvenueHPFanVIPDined on 4/12/2013The food is very good, in particular the salmon/avocado tartar, and the organic roast chicken is a bit of perfection. An adult restaurant on a street of college eateries.Special Features:
- If you like the bar scene......birthdaygirlDined on 3/23/2013I went to meet a friend on a Saturday nite. The food was pretty good, however, at about 10PM the music started blasting!!. It became some sort of quasi club/bar scene. It was so loud my friend and I began shouting just to be heard. Needless to say, we left earlier than we had anticipated because of the noise level. Loved the decor----I suggest going during the week.Special Features:
- We had a special occasionBDpartyDined on 3/15/2013We had a special occasion lunch at Tula. I expected more imaginative lunch choices. The panini I ordered came in white crunchy toast.