Tsunami Restaurant - Union Heights
7628 South Union Park
Midvale, UT 84047Neighborhood:
Holladay / Midvale / Sandy / Union
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Tsunami Restaurant - Union Heights
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tsunamiutah.com/
- Phone: 8016766466
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Tsunami's Union Heights location offers a beautifully appointed, fully private room for your next birthday, corporate event, Christmas party, rehearsal dinner, or other special event. Our expert chefs use the freshest ingredients to create exquisite menus with culinary flair. Let our friendly, experienced staff help to coordinate a unique, unforgettable experience for you and your guests.
- Private Party Contact: Erin Palmer 8016766466
A word from Tsunami Restaurant - Union Heights
Tsunami offers diners exquisite Japanese-inspired cuisine in an exciting, contemporary setting. From the freshest sushi to amazingly tender baby back ribs, Tsunami's menu offers choices for the most discriminating palate. Whether you're in for a quick business lunch or out for a romantic dinner, the friendly, knowledgeable staff will provide a memorable dining experience. Voted Best Sushi, Best Power Lunch, and Best Upscale Casual Dining in Utah!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Tsunami Restaurant - Union Heights - Best Restaurants in Holladay / Midvale / Sandy / Union ›
Tsunami Restaurant - Union Heights reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (13)good for groups (11)special occasion (9)neighborhood gem (8)hot spot (7)romantic (6)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (3)notable wine list (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Very goodBobBVIPDined on 9/6/2014We had been to their So Jordan location and enjoyed it. Open table said no times left there we liked, so thought try Union Heghts, it was not disappointing in any way. Got right in thanks to Open Table, the waiter was great, did not hurry us, was knowledgeable, and efficient in followup and could not really of been better. The food was excellent, tried the special mushroom appetizer - Great, had some great Sushi Rolls also. Reallly could not of been betterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014The sushi at Tsunami is good. I've never had a bad roll but what stands out is the service. We had a party of six for a birthday celebration and our server was AMAZING! Loved the Fire Breathing Dragon roll and the cocktail menu is fun and unique.Special Features:
- Nice DinnerLovetoEatVIPDined on 8/16/2014The sushi was fresh and very tasty. Nice presentations. Would definitely go back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi find!TimmyVIPDined on 8/15/2014I'm a sushi snob. I'd eat it every day if my wallet allowed me to do it. With that said, I've had the best around the western US, and I've had the worst; and I'll only return to the best. I've been to Tsunami 3 times in the past 3 weeks because they are simply great at what they do. The quality of their fish is outstanding, and the staff is always helpful, friendly (and great looking), knowledgeable and offer some of the best service and food in the area. I usually sit at the sushi bar and chat with their chefs. They are very knowledgeable and know their craft. Their menu has a great variety, and every time I'm there it's always a great experience. Whatever you guys are going - keep it up!Special Features:
- Excellent!whynottryitDined on 8/8/2014Everything we had there was well-prepared and well-presented. Our sushi and entrees were excellent. Before we left we were talking about what to order on our return visit. That says it all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EhRolandoDined on 7/25/2014Tsunami has a good reputation in my opinion but there is nothing that really stands out. Our server seemed very busy and forgot about us a couple of times. I asked for a recommendation on sake ($13 for a 10 oz bottle) we looked at the menu and I showed him the sake I was considering. He suggested another that was not on the menu, ordered it and delivered it. It turned out to be 28. There was no discussion around price this suggests to me that he was just oblivious to what the customer wanted. We like sashimi and ordered the 16 piece sashimi special and got a small bowl with 16 tiny slices of fish in them. Expensive and nothing remarkable about the food or service.
- We love TsunamiGooGooGaaGaaDined on 6/27/2014We ride our bikes to this resturant as it is close to our home. The wait staff is always very pleasant and the sushi is always very good.Special Features:
- Perfect sushi on Sunday!lilmichelleDined on 6/22/2014We really love everything about this place. Our server Jake was everything you would want in a server...recommended items that were incredible, quick service, very sweet with our kids and great table maintenance. Yes we will return and tell everyone! !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sushi1fish1vegDined on 6/21/2014Love the Vegetarian rolls and the traditional sushi is excellent. Make reservations ahead of time if possible but we enjoy sitting at the bar as well. We love the Union Heights location. Staff is always friendly and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and service!DeniseDined on 6/15/2014The service is good. The food is delicious! Will go again.Special Features:
- Love!DrayerZDined on 6/7/2014Have always loved, will continue to love Tsunami. They just keep producing top-notch food, delicious with amazing quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 161 reviews are from the Tsunami Restaurant - Union Heights reviews archive.
- Updated menueouioDined on 5/17/2014Tsunami recently updated their menu with a couple of our 'secret' favorites. They also removed the soft shell crab that is never in season. Food was great as usual and the valet parking was convenient. Staff is quick and friendly if not just a bit busy when they have larger groups in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food: Great! Service: So so...megmarbalDined on 5/11/2014If you love lemons, the Jenny sushi roll is to die for. The sake sampler is a great way to try several high quality varieties. Overall my love and I had a good time. Unfortunately the waitress seems a bit overwhelmed and we were served several dishes that weren't what we asked for. She quickly took them away and got it right on the second try. It took a bit longer than we had hoped, but we'll certainly be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- okEbishDined on 3/28/2014Not the best, I like the South Jordan location better, the sushi here doesn't seem as good. I kept smelling fish which means it's not fresh. Server was really good with our son and super friendly with him. I think we will stick with the other location though.
- DisappointedkblfDined on 3/8/2014The atmosphere was that of a fast food restaurant; loud and chaotic. The food was average. I was disappointed to find paper in the sushi roll that was apparently from the fish wrapping. The server acknowledged it when I told him about it but the manager did nothing to rectify the situation and seemed like he didn't care that the incident reuined my dining experience. We ordered the coffee cheesecake for dessert and found two hairs in it. I was pretty much about to lose my dinner at that point. We also ordered the escolar appetizer; noticed there were only 5 pieces compared to the seven you get with this order at the Sugarhouse location. I love Tsunami Sugarhouse but will not ever go back to the Union Heights location. Very dissappointing.
- great sushi, unpredictable serviceCBSBVIPDined on 3/4/2014We have been going to Tsunami for years, and in my opinion, it is the best sushi in the Sandy/Midvale area. The Sunshine roll, the Sunrise roll, the Copacabana, the Aloha and the Jenny are our favorites. Unfortunately, it seems like lately they are having server problems. Every time we go - which is usually once a week - we have a brand new server who is just learning the ropes. Unfortunately, this has resulted in slow service, mixed up orders, etc. We will keep going, because we love their food, but I hope they can hire and keep some good servers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but be prepared to wait.Pinky99Dined on 3/1/2014We are huge Tsunami fans. Their fish is always fresh and they have the best variety and creativity in their rolls of anyplace in town. The last 3 times we've visited this location we have had to wait 20-30 min past our reservation time to be seated. One time is easily forgiven- 3 times is a pattern (and not a good one!). Staff are very polite and apologetic about it, but let's hope they find a solution...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tsunami Shrimp CocktailhowieDined on 2/28/2014The shrimp were large perfectly cooked shrimp with all of the shell removed completely uncovering all of the meat right down to the last of the meat next to the tail. The cocktail sauce was very good, but when dipped in cocktail sauce and then the creamy mustard sauce after, it was too good to describe! I have a new favorite there! The rest of the food was wonderful also and the sushi is the best around. This visit made an incredible birthday dinner for my wife that she absolutely loved!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TsunamidseeleyDined on 2/22/2014I usually stick to one roll when eating sushi, but always indulge at Tsunami as it is so good. They have a great selection of rolls and it is hard to just pick one or two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another chance for sureSipho59Dined on 2/15/2014Popular, essential to make a reservation on a Friday or Saturday. Service was reasonably good although a little generic, and it took three attempts to get my glass of wine. Ambiance was good, upbeat, pleasant for a fairly big restaurant. My husband had 3 sushi rolls, 2 were great; the third one had very stodgy and overcooked rice, like something I got once from Costco. My seaweed salad was delicious; the calamari was tender but over-battered which detracted from the delicate taste. I would go back again and sit at the sushi bar and try sashimi, which would be the real test of this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tsunami - Consistently great!FCSLCDined on 2/14/2014It's a restaurant where no matter what location or what you order, it's consistent..... The food, service & atmosphere. It would be difficult to pull that off at one location, yet alone 3.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent serviceValentinesDined on 2/14/2014We arrived at the restaurant right at the reservation time with a packed lobby, I have then my name and didn't have to wait even ten seconds! They took us to the table and even gave my date a yellow rose. Great service great food. I would recommend this place to all my friends. A+Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SushiYumYumDined on 2/14/2014Tsunami is a great sushi spot. The Executive Suite roll is to die for and the Montauk is awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently the best SushiSpicyTunaDined on 2/7/2014Tsunami is the gold standard for Sushi. I have had sushi in restaurants from San Francisco to Japan have found that I am always comparing other restaurants to Tsunami's high quality fish and presentation. In 15 years, I have never had a dish I didn't absolutely enjoy, except maybe the first time I slam dunked my Executive roll deep into the habanero sauce.. but even then the flavor was great! I would and do recommend this restaurant to all my friends and anyone from out of town that expresses an interest in sushi. All three of their locations are of equal quality and each one has a slightly different atmosphere which means you can have anything from a lively social gathering to a quiet romantic escape. Did I mention the sushi is awesome?Special Features:
- Great DinnerDebbDined on 1/19/2014Great restaurant for all age ranges. Had my son's 15th birthday dinner there and everyone loved the food and the price was very reasonable for the food quality. It is going to be one of our family's favorite places to eat. Kid-friendly for children above the age of 5 or 6 - No kids menu.Special Features:
- Best sushi in Midvale!Malia29Dined on 1/18/2014This is by far one of my favorite restaurants to go to when I'm feeling like a splurge. Great atmosphere and great service is why I keep going back. Definitely yet the Fire breathing dragon, Vegas Roll, and any tempura. Saki is heaven!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best rolls in Utah!Pinky99Dined on 1/17/2014Huge tsunami fans! Most creative rolls and super fresh fish. Ambience is nicer at union heights location (compared to Sugarhouse). The last two times we visited, we had to wait 20 min past our reservation time to sit down. The hostess staff were extremely apologetic both times- unsure who's to blame... Still give it outstanding overall ranking. Love it!Special Features:
- We've become regularsMstrinityDined on 1/17/2014Since moving to UT from CA 2 years ago our family has become regulars at Tsunami. The food is great and the service we receive is consistently great as well. We usually dine with our two children (4 and almost 2) and have found it to be a very kid friendly dinner destination. When my husband and I get a chance to dine alone we find it to be romantic as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Open table reservation wasKellyrVIPDined on 1/15/2014Open table reservation was for 8:30pm. We were not seated until almost 9:30. Why bother to use open table?
- Tsunami - exceptional choiceeat2liveVIPDined on 1/9/2014Tsunami - exceptional choice for dinner, as always. We brought a group of eight for dinner and drinks and everyone sampled from a very, very wide selection of sushi choices. Service kept pace with the orders and drinks were replenished in a timely and responsive manner. No one was disappointed and everyone will return in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappoints..OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/23/2013Tsunami never disappoints! ANY dining experience I've had from sitting at the sushi bar to a cozy two person booth has always been great. The only concern was that the padding in my booth was a little thin, but other than that service was excellent, food was great as always, and the staff was kind and courteous. Definitely a place I'd go back and visit.Special Features:
- All good but the wine!pjauDined on 11/22/2013This is a great place for quality sushi. The service has improved dramatically over the past 6 months or so, which makes all the difference in the world to me. The staff is friendly without being cheesy, and management has managed to turn dining there from a minor nuisance into a pleasant experience. As for the food: it is and always has been of great quality, fresh without exception, special wishes (rice-less rolls, e.g.) are usually fulfilled beyond expectation. Just one thing keeps bothering me: the choice of wines by the glass is extremely limited, and recently got even more limited. I believe there is only a choice between two reds and two whites. If that could be improved, please?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good and something neweouioDined on 11/8/2013Tsunami has a consistently good menu and always something new to find on their specials list. My carnivore daughter loves their chicken and tempura vegetables, and they are very accommodating of her dislike for rice. We dine here a couple time a week and very rarely need a reservation to get in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank youOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/3/2013The entire grew is great, food wonderful, service is very goodSpecial Features:
- Never disappointsVeggieloverVIPDined on 10/3/2013I love this place. Tsunami has one of the best vegetarian sushi rolls in town. Service is always great. One downfall....and this one is consistent IT IS TOO COLD. I would love it if this could be improved.Special Features:
- Modern, Sophisticated JapaneseJhainesDined on 9/13/2013If you are looking for a sophisticated, modern take on Japanese cuisine, head over to Tsunami at Union Heights. The tempura and nigiri were both delicious and affordable but the tables were set too close to enjoy an intimate meal. Probably best to enjoy the great food and service during lunch time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food..bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/1/2013While I was eating sushi and am fine with chopsticks, my friends were not and were never offered forks until I stopped our server and asked for some. My rolls and sushimi were presented to me with no wasabi or ginger. I had to again flag down the waiter and ask. We then wanted some rice and again had to flag down the server. He never came by to check on us, it was always me having to flag him down for basic things that he should have made sure we had in the first place. The food was really good but our server was not.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodjacqafricaDined on 8/27/2013Having just arrived in SLC it was nice to find a restaurant that did not look and feel like a diner or a 'western' themed ribs place. This restaurant could almost be in San Francisco or Shanghai, a little more cutting edge in menu and ambience/fit out. Best Japanese we have had to date in SLC. It will be our staple for sushi unless we find better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodtastyDined on 8/23/2013The sushi is excellent and is now our favorite place. As in all sushi restaurants you have to know which rolls to pick. Also the prices are reasonable.Special Features:
- PerfectPezheadsDined on 8/1/2013We always look forward to eating here when we are in the area for business. We are in SLC only twice a year for three days each, and both times we eat at Tsumani because it is just that good. We are foodies, so we are quite particular. We found this experience, like always, to be perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.