Tsunami Restaurant - Sugarhouse
2223 South Highland Dr #E3
Salt Lake City, UT 84106Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Tsunami Restaurant - Sugarhouse
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tsunamiutah.com/
- Phone: 8014675545
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, BYO Liquor, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Call (801)467-5545 for more information.
- Special Events: Call (801) 467-5545 for more information.
A word from Tsunami Restaurant - Sugarhouse
Tsunami offers diners exquisite Japanese-inspired cuisine in an exciting, contemporary setting. From the freshest sushi to amazingly tender baby back ribs, Tsunami's menu offers choices for the most discriminating palate. Whether you're in for a quick business lunch or out for a romantic dinner, the friendly, knowledgeable staff will provide a memorable dining experience. Voted Best Sushi, Best Power Lunch, and Best Upscale Casual Dining in Utah!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tsunami Restaurant - Sugarhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (11)fit for foodies (9)special occasion (6)great for lunch (6)great for outdoor dining (6)romantic (3)kid-friendly (3)good for groups (3)hot spot (2)Show More
- A favoriteTwiggsDined on 8/17/2014It's a standard when we are craving a little taste of fresh delicious fish and a savory bite of Gyoza!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GenericElbatnepoDined on 8/15/2014Rolls were generic and the sushi chefs kept complaining about their jobs while we ate, not the best ambiance, so I wasn't too impressed with the place overall.
- Great sushiNew2slcDined on 8/8/2014Large variety of unique rolls, and a big veggie selection. Ingredients were very fresh and presentation looked great. Out of town guest was impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food!comfortfoodieDined on 7/23/2014I have been going to Tsunami since it opened, not as often as I would like, however. The food is always delicious and I'm always satisfied when I leave.Special Features:
- Amazing as AlwaysQuailyquailDined on 6/13/2014I have eaten at Tsunami more times that I can count. I have only ever had one bad experience, and the staff were very apologetic about the issues on that visit. All other visits have been great. The food is great and the staff is great. Everyone is professional and extremely kind and helpful. Especially Salem. She is my favorite waitress. Tsunami is my favorite restaurant, they are on point.Special Features:
- Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/1/2014The steak and chicken was very good. The server was very nice too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 158 reviews are from the Tsunami Restaurant - Sugarhouse reviews archive.
- PromLeBaconButlerDined on 5/3/2014I love Tsunami, so for my sons prom, I thought this would be a lovely place for him to take his date. My son is 16, sometimes not an ideal table for a server. He said the service was excellent like always! They had a wonderful dinner experience. We highly recommend Tsunami 100%. Great service, food and atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't waste your time & moneytoobadVIPDined on 3/30/2014Food was below mediocre, poor;y prepared, overwhelming taste was salt. 3 dishes were not eaten and there was no concern from the server. Advise people to avoid this place. Most of diners were young & more concerned with drinking than eating.
- Very good food and servicekblfDined on 3/22/2014Very good food and service as always at this location!Special Features:
- Good times with gift cardsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/8/2014Between Christmas and Birthdays I managed to accumulate $100 in Tsunami gift cards. When my girlfriend's dad does are taxes each year we take him (and her mother) to dinner. Yes we took them to Tsunami, yes we had a great time. Service was great, the atmosphere for Friday night was fun. Food was great. I would have gladly gone and paid without the gift cards, but it was sure nice to have them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have been dinning hereDaveVIPDined on 3/7/2014We have been dinning here for two months. Always great. Food has been always prepared fresh, attractive and with great sauces. We have never been disappointed with our servers. Always our first choice. Book early, it is busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerAsartDined on 3/4/2014We have frequented Tsunami for many years for family celebrations. Their food and service are consistently top notch. The sushi, rolls and sashimi is always fresh and beautifully prepared. I noticed that they have new tableware that heightens the Japanese feel. Lovely evening. Highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FunLeoGDined on 2/17/2014If you like fish and sushi you will love Tsunami. Menu is very creative and interesting. Ask for chef's recommendations but do not order standard rolls, these you will find disappointing. We loved everything but a Spicy tuna roll. It was by far the worst roll I ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KindnessSteveDined on 2/15/2014We arrived early on Valentines weekend to see if our reservation would be ready. They were waiting for a group in our table to leave so they found us seats and gave us drinks. It was extremely busy but both the hostess and manager were extremely hospitable and kind. Even engaging in casual conversation. When the rest of our group arrived, they put us in a quiet corner table and we had a wonderful time with great service, food, and ambience. You could tell the servers were tired but they were so very friendly, speedy, and consistent. The hostess with the gauges should receive a medal for being the nicest hostess we've ever had. The manager (Jake?) was also just a really great guy. Wish we could afford to eat there every day!Special Features:
- Good food and good serviceSteveDined on 1/25/2014The food was amazing and the service was quick and polite. I would highly recommend this place over other sushi bars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushiGrilledDined on 12/30/2013Very good sushi and the tempura banana dessert is to die for!Special Features:
- Fabulous and DeliciousSushiFanaticDined on 12/30/2013My wife loves sushi, and I thought it would be a nie meal during our wedding anniversary celebration to go to a sushi restaurant with good reviews. I found this place already had 4.8 stars on some sites and decided to book a reservation. Best Idea I've had all month. The food was timely - we waited only about 2 minutes before pot-stickers were on our table, and the sushi came immediately after, all of it obviously fresh. Their happy hour menu was not huge, but the Don Juan Roll was amazingly good. Easily the best sushi I've ever tasted. Hats off to the Chef and management of this fantastic restaurant. You helped make our wedding anniversary a huge success. I will highly recommend this place to all my sushi loving friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!!!SushiDined on 12/21/2013Sushi was fresh and delicious! Blew me away! I'd been wanting to try tsunami for a long time and finally got the chance. AmazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sushi!SLC13Dined on 10/26/2013Loved the ahi tuna salad & the sushi - also great that they offered EPIC beers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice lunch spotjenijDined on 10/21/2013came here for lunch and there menu is terrific. great service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Saturday Date NightChristineDined on 10/5/2013We had an outstanding experience. The wait staff was very helpful. The food was amazing and very satisfying. I love the intimate feeling.Special Features:
- Consistently GoodMototrmptDined on 9/30/2013Great sushi and a very nice atmosphere. Appetizers were great and sushi was taste and plentiful. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Fun nightfoodjunkieDined on 9/28/2013Tsunamis is one of my favorite restaurants. The food is absolutely delicious!Special Features:
- A wonderful dinner all theReesefamDined on 9/15/2013A wonderful dinner all the way around, just like always! Can't go wrong with this restaurant. We have been going here since 2003. Never have been let down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent SushirestaurantVIPDined on 8/18/2013broad menu, helpful prompt staff, top notch service, fabulous sushi, wonderful desserts. Definitely will recommend & return when in Salt Lake City.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite sushi placeToniDined on 8/11/2013We love this place! The food is terrific. The service is friendly and helpful without being bothersome. They make my favorite sushi roll of all time, the Sunshine roll, which is the perfect blend of taste and texture. Its sweet, spicy, creamy, and savory flavors and both crunchy and soft textures make it the perfect bite. Tsunami will do any roll with soy paper instead of seaweed which is wonderful for those who love sushi but hate the wrapper. Their fish is always fresh and well cut and their menu creative. The entrees are just as good as the sushi. Our only wish is that they would stop serving fish that are endangered like blue fin tuna.It would be great if they would take all non sustainable species off the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love Tsunami!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/24/2013We have been to Tsunami several times and it is always wonderful. The food is great, they always have excellent specials as well as a great regular menu. Every server we have had has been wonderful as well.Special Features:
- Fast and DelicousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/20/2013My boyfriend and I enjoy going out on the weekends. When it comes to a restaurant, we don't like waiting very long because often we're on our way to a movie, play, etc. Service was great, and food came out fast. We were in and out so quick, but did not feel at all rushed to do so. Sushi was delicious and fairly price. I have been recommending this location to anyone and everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent vegetarian rollsSushiLoverDined on 7/13/2013Excellent vegetarian rolls and fast service. Great quality foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it used to be my favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/13/2013it used to be my favorite Restaurant. I used to go there 1-3 x a week. 1st time bad I thought it was just a fluke. Then I went back another 4 x. Each time the food was worse. My co-diners had the same view. How sad is that. ( soggy tempura , greasy, tuna other fish tasted fishy, and soft shell crab i spit out. too bad.
- On point visionClintDined on 7/9/2013Tsunami is perfect for sushi lovers! Great service, fresh product, great menu, great ambiance..my fav!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed...yummyVIPDined on 7/1/2013We usually go to your location in South Jordan. It was very hot in the restaurant, we were right by the thermostat and it read 85 degrees. There wasn't even ice in our waters which could have helped cooling us off! It really was miserable. The food was just so-so. My steak was tough, and I asked for all my sauces on the side including the teriyaki sauce but it came on my plate anyways. You put your tempura veggies on the same plate as the sauces and they become very soggy, that's why I order it that way. I will continue to go to your other locations, they seem to be much better. It seems to be in a weird location as well.
- Great Din Dinluv2eatDined on 6/28/2013We had a reservation and were immediately seated at one of the nicest tables. Food was perfectly prepared and server was very knowledgable about the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SatisfyingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/13/2013The sushi was great for the price. Accommodations and service were amazing, especially considering we had a 10 month old with us. We will certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This visit was a struggleLunching4avesDined on 4/5/2013This visit was a struggle for us to stay. Past visit was wonderful, but we were forgotten by our server after his first visit to the table and that was a lengthy time after we were seated. After my husband went in search of assistance, eventually other staff took over, but we were never politely attended to. The sushi was also not as fresh as other visits. I am hoping this was just a very bad night and that another visit will be better. There were also no apologies for our inconvinence.Special Features:
- Tsunami stands outeat2liveVIPDined on 3/27/2013Tsunami stands out even though Salt Lake is a city seemingly over run by sushi restaurants. If you are a fan of sushi or simply interested in learning or exploring this food style you should definitely keep Tsunami on your list of favorites. The menu also offers enough traditional asian dishes to please your non-sushi dining companions. A great value for weekly casual dining or for those special evenings where you splurge on the budget.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have been wanting to tryLisaDined on 3/24/2013We have been wanting to try this place for awhile and found that the food was excellent but we weren't impressed by the plain crowded cafe style atmosphere with the slight nod to the orient. It would have been rteally nice to have some info on the specials but the waitress was a little overrun and didn't have the time to explain all our choices.Special Features:
- This restaurant is a favoriteReesefamDined on 3/24/2013This restaurant is a favorite of ours & never lets us down!Special Features:
- I love Tsunami. I've beenOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/2/2013I love Tsunami. I've been going here for over 8 years now and the food has always been fresh, exciting and delicious.Special Features:
- This is one of the betterOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/17/2013This is one of the better places around to get sushi. The prices aren't too high, but they aren't too cheap either. Going during happy hour is helpful. Make sure to try their ribs. Sounds odd to get ribs at a sushi restaurant, but they are amazing.Special Features: