Tsunami - Panhandle
1306 Fulton Street
San Francisco, CA 94117Neighborhood:
North Panhandle / USF
SushiPrice: $30 and under
Tsunami - Panhandle
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.dajanigroup.net/
- Phone: (415) 567-7664
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday-Thursday: 5:30pm- 12:00am Friday and Saturday 5:30pm-1am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Adachi Hiroyuki
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Tsunami - Panhandle
Tsunami is like a wave of the hip urbane. Dim lights, house music, a good looking wait staff flavor the cozy sushi and sake bar-flanked dining room. Tsunami offers the seas' freshest bounty paired with one of the largest, most sophisticated sake selections found on the west coast. The bar also offers an array of high end spirits from Gin to Great Japanese single malts. Tsunami bar creates an amazing list of cocktails that combine both modern & classic cock-tailing. Corkage is a sake & wine retail shop connected to Tsunami where you can find 100's of bottles to choose from either to take home or open for your dinner with a $10 corkage fee at the restaurant. One of the great draws next to the incredible fresh authentic sushi, is the late night food offering till 12 midnight weekdays & 1am weekends.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
- Diners' Choice WinnerSushi
Tsunami - Panhandle - Best Restaurants in North Panhandle / USF ›
Tsunami - Panhandle reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (33)fit for foodies (23)hot spot (18)romantic (17)late-night find (15)good for groups (13)special occasion (11)vibrant bar scene (7)notable wine list (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Exciting sushiJustFriendsDined on 11/17/2014They do a great take on sushi with some original offerings that are delicious and unique. Other food/appetizers were also very good and not quite your typical offerings. The happy hour sake was outstanding and a good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Clarify your reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/7/2014I arrived early for the reservation and was still seated at the sushi bar, which is what they keep for walkins. The host said another reservation had popped up after my friend was seated so she could not move us to the table I had reserved even though I was early. Sushi bar is uncomfortable at best, made worse by the wait staff reaching over us all dinner to get the food for other tables. Avoid if you can't confirm a real table--not the sushi bar, not the lounge ottomans.
- Great sushiNYCmeatloverVIPDined on 10/31/2014Awesome neighborhood sushi place. Come here every time I come to visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for gluten free eaters.glutenfreeDined on 10/29/2014Most of the fish is marinated in advance so it CAN'T be prepared gluten free. Their tempura has wheat in addition to cornstarch, everything is pre-battered. The server was very helpful in pointing out their few options, but in fairness, we paid a meal price for what amounted to appetizers. Food landing at other tables looked great. Gluten free eaters will find better options at other sushi restaurants in SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Swanky and PriceyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014This place had really good fish in very unique combinations. The ambiance was very fancy-looking and they had an amazing selection of Sake. Fish was really fresh and I loved their happy hour menu. The waitress was really helpful and letting us add more dishes whenever we wanted and not rushing us.Special Features:
- Lovely Creative SushiRobertDined on 10/13/2014Great restaurant and atmosphere. If you go early, beware of lots of children!Special Features:
- excellentwintercitrusDined on 9/30/2014extensive whiskey selection. friends and knowledgable staff. delicious, fresh fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerHungryguy13Dined on 9/25/2014Our reservation was at 845 we were sat at 915. That was dissapointingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Sushi in SFSF0772VIPDined on 9/20/2014great atmosphere - fun date night weekend place - much more posh than most sushi bars in the city - hip vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every bite melts in your mouthMissSirrisVIPDined on 9/15/2014Tsunami has the best sushi in San Francisco...every bite melts in your mouth.Special Features:
- Still one of my faves!Foodie4LifeDined on 9/10/2014I moved to the Easy Bay several years ago but still make it a point to come to Tsunami as often as possible. I love everything about this place, truly! And I've never had anything from the kitchen that I didn't enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Goodness GuaranteedJonasfVIPDined on 8/26/2014You can expect excellent quality sushi and good service every time at Tsunami. They have creative rolls for the creative types and also basic roles for the basic folks. My favorite are the bowls. They're over $20 but come with a lot of fish, seaweed salad, rice, and other tastyness. Service is always friendly and good.Special Features:
- A For Ambience!kbeltzDined on 8/23/2014I came with family for dinner. First, the décor and music made the experience awesome. The service was great. The food we ordered had traditional Japanese elements with little flavor variations. Favorite included the soba salad and homemade mochi icecream.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014The drinks are great but the food is just so so. Would spend the same amount on money on other restaurants.
- best in sfSF0772VIPDined on 8/8/2014high class - perfect for a date night - classy and yummy sushiSpecial Features:
- The following 288 reviews are from the Tsunami - Panhandle reviews archive.
- Good neighborhood spot for sushiHannaVIPDined on 7/29/2014Loved the specials they offered; salmon belly appetizer was outstanding. Good choices on rolls and maki's. Music was loud when we came in, asked them to turn it down and they accommodated nicely. Would go here again.Special Features:
- Not a top day at Tsunami PanhandleNOPAneighborDined on 7/7/2014I've usually have had a good experience here to the point that I think on special occasions it might be almost worth paying the high prices for 'beyond just sushi' experience. However, earlier this week the food was very slow coming out of the kitchen - maybe understaffed?- and the wait staff, less friendly than usual. Not sure it was just not a great day or a trend..
- Easy access good sushieJonasfVIPDined on 7/3/2014Tsunami has good quality and tasting sushi, perfect for those that want good sushi but don't want to leave the neighbourhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and tastyRetired2VIPDined on 7/2/2014If you like sashimi, this is the place to go for generous slices of fresh tasty assorted pieces. The chef choices were great and worth the cost. They also made interesting combinations of tastes and textures in their specialty rolls. Definitely worth a try!Special Features:
- Amazing Food!bpsmithDined on 6/21/2014Wonderful menu with a wide-variety of dishes; everything we ordered was amazing! Great happy-hour deals on food and drink. Ambiance and decor is nice, nothing special. Most of the seating is communal (long tables) with small tables lining the walls. We got there when it opened and the place was packed within an hour. Will definitely consider eating here again!Special Features:
- Noise overshadows great sushiFood4ThoughtVIPDined on 6/14/2014I haven't eaten here in a while, but the sushi and sake were as good as I remembered. Noise was much worse than I remembered. We were a party of 3, celebrating a birthday. We couldn't hear each other or have a decent conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid sashimi, great drinks, priceyNESINDined on 6/7/2014Nicer than the average sushi joint and a price to match. We experienced great service for our group and would come back for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Best sushi ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/6/2014Food was incredible. The ambience was really great and sake selection was amazing.Special Features:
- Bold culinary varietyFreshMeatDined on 6/6/2014The chef has created bold new food combinations that were mostly tasty and interesting to me. More pricy than I usually spend but the food experience was mostly worth it even though some of the dishes were small; a little too 'precious' rather than filling.worth it if you want to try unusual sushi food combos and don't mind paying for it.Special Features:
- OverpricedsteelblueDined on 5/16/2014Both the restaurant and the service was decent. The food is tasty but in general the portions are tiny and the food is way overpriced. I would at least expect a better ambiance/more comfortable seating for the price you are paying. In my opinion there are better options in the city if you would like some high quality sushi...
- bomb unifilburtDined on 5/9/2014had dinner w/ a friend the other night and it was a great experience. from checking in for the reservation onward. it's cool that you can chill at corkage next door while you wait, the hosts were really sweet, and the sushi was awesome, notably the uni. i'll definitely be back for more. keep up the awesome vibes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014My party ordered two appetizers, two drinks, and a sushi roll. My favorite thing about this place is the fresh sashimi. The rolls themselves are average tasting.Special Features:
- Disappointing...deborahpVIPDined on 5/3/2014This place looked like it had potential but in the end, the most import thing, the food, did cut it. Pros: Nice staff, cool ambiance (music and lighting), great wine options (read: eclectic) and not too noisy. Cons: The food was beautifully but the Tokyo Bombers (stuffed pepper with crab/cream cheese) - it just tasted like batter, spicy but no depth, just batter and glaze. The roll we ordered had gojo (smoked Burdock root), it was smoky/woody but didn't go that well with the other ingredients. It was a little small and overly wet. Disappointing. :(Special Features:
- Such amazing sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014This is a great sushi restaurant. Although it's a little on the expensive side, what sushi place isn't? I LOVE the spider roll and Scorpion rolls. The spider is twice the size as the other rolls which makes it difficult to put in your mouth, but it's worth it. I always get extra eel sauce to dip the rolls into, which they don't charge for :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than just a sushi barfoodieonabudgetDined on 4/28/2014Start with really good fish and other ingredients, mix in original and unusual combinations, and you have a mouthwatering dinner that you could never get anywhere else. Definitely several steps beyond your regular sushi, nigiri and teriyaki. Add in great service and ambiance and you have a dining experience well worth seeking out.Special Features:
- Great service, great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/16/2014I love the menu options at tsunami. They have great options and the food is all laid out in a nice presentation. Being a vegetarian I still had lots to choose from. Maddy was our server and was super friendly and very attentive. Recommending this place to all my sushi (and cocktail) loving friends!Special Features:
- Excellent HRSFnewbieDined on 4/12/2014Great happy hour, until 7pm most nights. If you get there early enough, there's a nice selection of both foods and drinks for the happy hour. Note, communal seating for most, in case that's a turn off... Sushi was good to very good with a number of novel choices for the vegetarian or those who avoid raw foods.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious as alwaysVenusDined on 4/10/2014we eat here once or twice a month on average. really really good food. if you like spice check out the abnormals roll... yowza.Special Features:
- Always worth the extra MileTigger2003VIPDined on 3/19/2014Love the happy hour and service - always worth the extra mile :) Hannah offers rock star service.Special Features:
- Good not greatIndiefoodieVIPDined on 3/5/2014There are great hole in the wall sushi places and luxe sushi places in the City. Tsunami is luxe if you consider $115 (tip included, just water) to be high, so I have higher expectations. The service wasn't bad was not particularly attentive or informative and the food took ages to get to the table even on a Wednesday night. I asked for a side plate so we could put the sushi in the middle and share but they didnt have any side plates, sorry. No biggie and the sashimi was sweet and fresh but nothing about the food or service really stood out. The restaurant is pretty and has a nice vibe.
- They try to make this a chicGCGCVIPDined on 3/1/2014They try to make this a chic place with loud music and pretty deco but the fundamentals of food quality is not impressive. The texture of the sushi rice is wrong and the rolls fall apart the moment you pick them up. A true sushi master can spend years just to get these two elements right. Although I do not expect this level of precision but this restaurant's lacking in basic skills is very noticeable.
- So soJonasVIPDined on 2/14/2014This time is okay good...somehow I remember they have better food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/14/2014I remembered this this restaurant quite fondly from when I would come here more regularly about 5 years ago. I was excited to re-visit it as a bday/valentines dinner w/ my beau. I was surprised it was not full when we walked in for our 8pm dinner reservation, given the holiday but if their sushi experience was like ours then I understand why. Service was good. Our waitress was nice, but not exactly engaging or enthusiastic. We ordered (1) signature roll & two maki rolls. I know maki rolls are pretty standard and not very exciting but all 3 rolls, including the signature roll tasted bland. I don't mind throwing down for a memorable meal but unfortunately this meal which included saki was not worth the $100 spent.
- Fusion&coolMatteoDined on 2/1/2014Quiet and cool in its Asian atmosphere, this restaurant offer a great menu. Sit at the bar or table or a kind of sofacoach to enjoy moments between taste and relax.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderfully fresh, expensiveluluDined on 1/30/2014too bad. loved the atmosphere and service and food. the the bill was a shocker. i had $60 coupon and then dinner was another $68 for just 2 of us and we didn't even have wine/sake. portions were small too. just a one time experience, won't go again-too expensive for 2 people for a dinner out (not a special occasion). we'll try some other Japanese restaurantsSpecial Features: