Tsunami - Mission Bay
301 King Street #B
San Francisco, CA 94158Neighborhood:
Mission Bay / South Beach
SushiPrice: $30 and under
Tsunami - Mission Bay
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.dajanigroup.net/
- Phone: 4152840111
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm Dinner: Monday and Tuesday: 5pm-11pm Wednesday-Saturday: 5pm-12midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Adachi Hiroyuki
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from Tsunami - Mission Bay
Tsunami Mission Bay located at the corner of 4th & Berry provides a young, hip and exciting restaurant experience. Tsunami Mission Bay combines the best of both - Nihon and Tsunami Panhandle - using Nihon's extensive selection of spirits; and incorporating the culinary influence from Tsunami Panhandle. An amazing Sake list is also offered. The design is one of modern yet warm Japanese design through the use of white oak, which is used extensively in Japan, and clean sharp lines. The combination of the spirits and sushi bars in the same line was to allow the guest to watch the making of what they are going to feast and drink, as if watching a play. Late Night dining is offered daily till 12 midnight.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tsunami - Mission Bay reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (16)fit for foodies (14)good for groups (4)hot spot (4)special occasion (3)vibrant bar scene (3)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)romantic (1)Show More
- yummyPeterVIPDined on 9/26/2014Always good. A bit pricey, but good. The scorpion roll is amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi a block from AT&T ParkPhillyTravelerDined on 8/26/2014We were visiting San Francisco, and I took my wife and son here before a Giants game. Very good sushi, friendly service, and a nice vibe, with a great location a block away from AT&T Park.Special Features:
- IvreaDined on 7/10/2014Tsunami is always reliable, great sushi, tasty salads. Two can do very well for $50 for dinnerSpecial Features:
- very goodlauraVIPDined on 7/2/2014Great place to eat before a Giants game. Creative, delicious sushi.
- Notable saki list. Great happy hr.MikaVIPDined on 6/26/2014Notable saki list & great happy hour. Seafood is so fresh. Straight forward sushi style. Great spot for pre game dinner @ ATT Park. Yumm yumm. Service is attentive & helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/24/2014Server was not good at all. Food was Amazing as Always. My Partner Ordered 2 Rolls….Server brought out the same Roll TWICE! I ordered a small bowl of white rice to go with my Omakase Sushi…and got it after 10 minutes of waiting??? In a Japanese style restaurant….you would think they had rice readily available. Again the Server was not paying attention…with only 5 other tables with diners. We'll go back and give that Server another chance but that's it. The Food though is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sashimi and happy hour!GirlSaysDoDined on 6/20/2014High quality fish and great but few deals during happy hour. More expensive but the quality can be worth it. Wide selection of alcohol. Waiters are always friendly- sometimes they have strange attire.. Nice atmosphere in a small spot in SoMa, near the ball park and caltrain- great to go before or after a big game or whenever.. I recommend reservations during prime hours. I think they are closed on Monday- check their site for more info.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantSanFranVisitorDined on 6/11/2014Great food and great service at affordable price. An authentic Japanese experience right near the AT&T Park. Gotta love Tsunami!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/9/2014Great rolls, very fresh varied sushi, lots of choicesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 193 reviews are from the Tsunami - Mission Bay reviews archive.
- Hidden gemAlfieVIPDined on 5/9/2014All the food we ordered tasted great. They have a good sake selection as well as other premium spirits like single malted and blended whisky.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh fish, slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/30/2014Amazingly fresh sushi and sashimi, but very, very, very slow service. Both the food and cocktails felt overpriced for the quantity/quality. However, the hamachi stuffed shiitake mushrooms steal my heart (and palate) everytime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- i'll be backOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/29/2014Been here a few times always. enjoyed the food and the service. Freshness of the food never a question, the wait for our food was unusually long, attributed to the expiration of Living Social Deal. Our waitperson was not attentive but another waitperson, who has been wonderful and attentive to us in the past came by to check in and explained the wait; at least he came by and checked in with us. Can remember his name but he is awesome and I have reported out about his great customer service in the past. My food buddy and I are not demanding but a little interaction from our designated wait person would have been nice. No matter what, I always enjoy my dinners at Tsunami and will be back.. in fact, I think about it often... YumSpecial Features:
- Dinner for 2RoosterDined on 4/26/2014the food was good, although, I think it is overpriced. the server was less than skilled or attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative gorgeously preparedandaluROCKSVIPDined on 4/25/2014Best aushi in town. FRESH, delicious, artistically presented, fine saki menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fit for Sushi SnobsOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/29/2014I love Tsunami Sushi! So fresh and amazing presentation! Happy hours special are awesome, 50% off select plates and beverages. Tempura fries are tasty. Great for sushi snobs...my favorite sushi spot by far!Special Features:
- Good food, too much noiseMiroDined on 3/6/2014If you are the type of person that enjoys dining accompanied by loud music, then this restaurant is just for you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceStephVIPDined on 2/15/2014I love Tsunami! I can not count how many times I have eaten here & every time I am so pleased with the quality of food & the service. I will continue to recommend them because of how fresh the fish is. I always leave happy. Amir was our server and he really went out of his way to make sure we loved our meal and make sure our night was enjoyable. I can't wait to go back again.Special Features:
- great sushi but small portionsfoodieDined on 2/14/2014The sushi was great; very fresh and great flavor. The only issue was the portion size for the rolls, I spent about $80 and didn't really get full. $14 sushi rolls shouldn't be only 4 pieces.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Getting better and better,felixDined on 1/24/2014Our second time this month at Tsunami mission bay. This time we invited someday rinds for east bay and I thi it was worth the drive for them. Food was delicious, waitress super attentive and sushi was paced in a way we enjoyed every order. They treated us with a desert sampler and I just think is was a great touch. Music this time was also more suitable for a shushi place, there were a couple of loud patrons but I think they served them fast and they leaved pretty quickly. I wish their drinks were less pricey. Overall, I feel very confident to recommend it. We tried a nigiri trout from the special menu and was really fresh. Worth the money and the trip (we live in the Richmond and usually of to the other restaurant in Fulton.)Special Features:
- Best sushi in the cityandaluROCKSVIPDined on 1/18/2014Gorgeuos delicious sushi with a fantastic saki selectionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great drinks and food, very1bartenderVIPDined on 12/17/2013great drinks and food, very fresh sushi, great combos and other food itemsSpecial Features:
- love the red couchesgrouponheroDined on 8/31/2013The sushi is serviceable, the decor and the ambiance is slightly upscale urban tech yuppie casual, the red couches rock, and the bar is fantastically stocked. Good place for whiskey. More of a bar that serves sushi rather than a sushi bar. Oddly baby friendly, perhaps because of all the tech yuppie breeders in the area; saw two strollers stuffed with kid (not dog, human child) while I was there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, a bit over-pricedjodirrenDined on 8/31/2013Food here is outstanding. Atmosphere/ambiance is great. Service was okay, but nothing bad. My only complaint is it seems a bit over-priced. The sake is particularly expensive. Though I know this is sadly becoming the norm in over-priced SF, it's not going to stop me from pointing it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Sake selections and happy hourOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/20/2013Good Sake list; great choices of sushi and sashimi - great happy hour choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi. Terrific bar.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/17/2013Held back a star because they were out of Toro, which I came for. (Also out of Tai). Other than that, an outstanding selection of both sushi and sake/wine/Scotch/bourbon, etc. Would gladly return.Special Features:
- always good, great location,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/6/2013always good, great location, fresh sushi, fantastic service!Special Features:
- Always Perfect at TsunamiStephVIPDined on 7/29/2013I love Tsunami! I can not count how many times I have eaten here & every time I am so pleased with the quality of food & the service. I will continue to recomend them because of how fresh the fish is. I always leave happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-So diningKTTKDined on 7/27/2013The overall experience was just okay. I've had a lot of sushi and maybe have become a little bit too picky. We had a $50 for $25 deal and I don't think I would have gone there otherwise. Rolls and drinks were over priced. The service was great. Our server was very attentive and accommodating. Again, just so so food.Special Features:
- Cute, nice space, mediocre sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/16/2013The people here are nice. The space is comfortable and the location is convenient. But the sushi is really sub-par. Perhaps in another city it would be great, but in SF where the bar for sushi is so high, it just falls short. Our hamachi, both in a roll and sashimi style, had the giant blood line left in, changing the flavor of the fish. One of our rolls was so large and awkward that it was simply impossible to eat. Most of it was kinda bland. Our group of 5 left hungry with no one willing to order more. Up the quality of the food and this place could be a winner.
- OkOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/13/2013Really was ok. Sushi places are so abundant you really have to go far to make an impression. Everything was good. There are better spots in the city for the $$I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative quality sushiPinotladyVIPDined on 7/12/2013My 4th time at this fabulous restaurant, and it continues to impress! super fresh fish so thoughtfully prepared and presented. Must have: truffled carpaccio!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waitress ruined experienceOaktownVIPDined on 7/10/2013We live near restaurant and go here often. When one of the websites had a coupon for restaurant, we took advantage of the coupon. After a delightful dinner, we presented coupon. Waitress in her greed, put a 20% tip on bill. When inquired she said that it is mandated by coupon. It seems odd, but we went with it. We normally tip more than 20%. When I got home I check the "fine prints" on coupon, there was no such mandate. It just ruined my experience with restaurant.Special Features:
- Great rollsluv2dineVIPDined on 7/8/2013Haven't gone wrong with their signature rolls, great combinations and flavors, fun and inventive.Special Features:
- Before the ballgame ... great SushiGregVIPDined on 7/8/2013Just down the street from ATT Park, A Sushi Find ! Good food, good service.Special Features:
- Swanky and funOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/27/2013We came to this place on a Thursday night before a comedy show to redeem a living social deal. I wouldn't have otherwise known about this spot. Thanks, Living Social! We walk in and it was hip, trendy, someplace I could definitely see doing happy hour with friends. Sadly I was there with my beau and was hoping for something slightly more intimate. The place had the music turned up a little more than needed for the size of crowd in the restaurant. Also be warned... they seat you in close quarters! We easily could have eaten from our neighbor's table! Maybe not the best option for something a little more intimate, but I will definitely be back! Their food was delicious, beautifully presented, and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A tidal wave of good eatsLizLemonVIPDined on 6/13/2013In the 3 or 4 times I have been to Tsunami, it has not disappointed! The food is delicious, artfully presented and delivered with a smile. The decor makes me feel as if I might be in a hip joint in Tokyo—Zen meets Neutra. The techno-lounge music works for this environment, but it's a bit loud for this oldster...Special Features:
- Freshest fish in the neighborhoodsda123Dined on 6/11/2013I go to this place all the time. Their happy hour specials are really great, and their cuts of fish are some of the freshest in town. More expensive than your average sushi joint, but the fish quality is worth it. Notable dishes: sashimi platter (the albacore is always amazing), hamachi jalapeno, tsunami roll. Their standard rolls are good too, but their signature rolls are more fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious but a bit expensiveMomoDined on 6/3/2013The specialty rolls are to die for. Great sake selection but alcohol is way overpriced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!SFlovefoodMIDined on 6/3/2013I really enjoy Tsunami! Recently we had a BD party and we had really good time! Peoples working there are super nice and friendly:) Food are so good, too! They have really nice Sake selections as well.Special Features:
- Sushi Gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/29/2013Great place to meet for some great sushi before attending a Giants game. They have a good selection of sake, and they always have some tasty daily specials along with happy hour drinks. The service is good, although it can be slow when the place gets packed with Giants fans. Located just one block from the stadium, Tsunami is a good choice if you feel like great sushi...Special Features: