689 Massachusetts Avenue
Arlington, MA 02720Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.trystrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7816412227
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Paul Turano
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Tryst restaurant hosts a wide variety of events ranging from small birthday parties to wedding receptions. Please contact us at the restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Amber Michele 7816412227
- Entertainment: Sunday Brunch jazz trio beginning 9/13.
A word from Tryst Restaurant
Tryst Restaurant serves creative American cuisine, using local and seasonal ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tryst Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
112 reviews since April 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (75)fit for foodies (50)great for brunch (28)special occasion (27)good for groups (18)vibrant bar scene (16)romantic (13)hot spot (10)notable wine list (9)great for lunch (7)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Neighborhood favoritecherylglVIPDined on 8/23/2014Since we can walk to this restaurant, we come here often to sit at the bar and enjoy an informal dinner. We invited friends this time so made an actual reservation. The food was, as always, excellent, from the fried oysters to the kale salad to the tagliatelle with bolognese. We were surprised with the unfriendliness of our waiter. He was efficient, but a bit surly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversaryDined on 8/22/2014Great Menu with many vegetarian and gluten free options as well as plenty of fish and meat. Deliciously prepared and served. Wish the place was a bit quieter. Will try for brunch.Special Features:
- another good experienceRoRoDined on 8/19/2014Still love the kale salad. Great place for restaurant week meal. Excellent service as usual.Special Features:
- best burgerswolfeyes528VIPDined on 8/18/2014Not quite sure why their burgers are so delicious, but they are. Best burgers around!Special Features:
- resrvationsVIPDined on 8/18/2014A/C set much too high; having to wear coats & jackets to try and be comfortable not desirable; Shivering while dining is not pleasant. Shrimp taco was good; Peach pie a little on the dry side; Salmon was tasty but also on the dry side; My dining companion enjoyed the chicken entreeSpecial Features:
- YummspicyfanDined on 8/17/2014Great value during Dine Out Boston. Shrimp taco is superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For Sunday Brunch, Look No FurtherBostonSeanDined on 8/17/2014I'd say Tryst has the most delicious brunch around. Four of us went there during dine out Boston, combining for seven different menu items--and all seven were positively scrumptious! One might be an accident, two a lucky break, but seven? You can take that to the bank (of your stomach!).Special Features:
- A pleasant evening.HenrunDined on 8/13/2014Good service. Good food. We sampled 2 of the wines we were thinking about. Food was creatively presented and in ample portions. We were 2 couples and we're able to hear each other without difficulty and stayed to talk for some time without being pressured to leave. Prices were fair. The only negative was the quality of the coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over-attentive staffAMtwoVIPDined on 8/5/2014The over-attentive staff was a bit off-putting. At one point, I almost told the hostess to just go away and not come back. A busser tried to take our appetizer twice while we were still eating it, long before our mains showed up. Despite good food, the service was the driver for our experience & rating. I really liked my appetizer and dinner, but it was tough to enjoy the food and conversation with our friend when staff kept interrupting us. We probably had a half dozen different people check on us multiple times throughout the evening. Our reservation was on a Tuesday night, and there were plenty of empty tables, so they didn't need to rush us. If I go back, I will certainly sit at the bar, to attempt to escape the over-attentive staff.
- Great Meal on Saturday NightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2014Tryst is always a pleasure to dine at. Tryst is very accommodating to reservation needs. Joseph is a great, professional, waiter.Special Features:
- Consistently greatFoodie87VIPDined on 8/1/2014This chef rivals those in Boston and Cambridge. Food is inventive and well prepared. Our server was attentive.Special Features:
- Date nightKellyVIPDined on 7/30/2014Friendly and attentive wait staff and fantastic food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!BRFadeVIPDined on 7/25/2014Had a table in the bar on Friday evening and as usual the food was great! My wife had the steak tips which were awesome (I def had food envy!) which came with a salad and pasta side dish. The tips were tender and delicious and were a great value. We shared the Tapas which was also terrific. Really interesting variety of items with the Serrano ham, chorizo stuffed dates and the peppadews. I had a burger for my main and was done perfectly (medium rare)! We sort of had revolving servers but everyone was great and service never lacked. Bar scene was great as well and we enjoy dining there more than the back of the restaurant. Tryst always has an interesting menu and lots of choices which is the reason to return to try other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Cocktails!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/25/2014We stopped in for a quick appetizer and drink before heading to a party and everything was great! The bartenders are so nice and the drinks were delicious. I love the shrimp tacos!Special Features:
- Great Dinnermjw22Dined on 7/24/2014I've never had a bad experience here. Service is great and the food is greatSpecial Features:
- Delicious foodfoodforthoughtDined on 7/20/2014We went there for my mother's birthday and had great food and wonderful service. I've been there three times and it's been great all three times.Special Features:
- Fantastic food made to orderOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/20/2014I was trying to watch my calories when I had dinner at Tryst with a group of friends, so I asked for my favorite kale/brussel sprout salad to be made a little differently and had that for dinner (dressing on the side and add grilled chicken). One of my friends liked how it sounded so he ordered the same thing. We both thought it was fantastic; i would come back and sit at the bar to have that salad any night I did not feel like making dinner. This is not the first time I've asked for modifications to something on the menu; every time they cheerfully take my request and the chef creates a great tasting dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful mealOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/19/2014We had a fantastic dinner at Tryst on Saturday night. My wife and I just moved to Arlington and our parents were visiting and staying with us for the first time. We brought them to Tryst and they LOVED it. Everyone was pleased with their meals and raved about them the following day. We would definitely go back!Special Features:
- Lovely ladies who brunchGirlsgonewildDined on 7/13/2014We had a great time at Tryst! The waiter was outstanding p, ver attentive to all of our needs! The mimosas had the right amount of champagne definitely not too much orange juice. The food was delicious! The meal started with a complimentary scone or lemon pound cake. The scone way yummy did not try the pound cake. The huervas rancheros was also outstanding. It arrived hot and was layered every bit delicious. The egg was perfectly cooked and the sauce was tangy but not too spicy.Special Features:
- First time, will return again soon!PAS2539VIPDined on 7/12/2014Tryst is an unpretentious, solid, good restaurant. The Kettel One Citron martinis were perfect (and generous). We love calamari and ordered it as an appetizer. The helping was generous (for two) and they were nicely prepared. My husband had the "pork under a brick" and I had the swordfish. Both were generously sized, well prepared (neither over-cooked), and very tasty. No room for dessert! Definitely will return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service lackingPickyButReasonableDined on 7/10/2014I had high hopes for Tryst, as I had heard good things and had had dinner on a Tuesday evening with friends that went very well. However I should have been alerted when the front door had a big sign on it saying they had openings for help. The waiters (we had 2 - one was training) were not attentive - when we said we need a couple of minutes more to look at the menu, they returned 20 minutes later after we had to ask to have them sent over. (It was not busy yet.) The restaurant got progressively busier, and our service become consistently worse. My steak tips were cooked well done when I asked for them to be medium. It took 20 minutes to get a new plate. They offered us free dessert, but we didn't want any more poor service.Special Features:
- Delicious BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/6/2014After coming back from vacation, the last thing we wanted to do was shop and cook. Enter Tryst! With a delicious brunch, fabulous location, and relaxed atmosphere, it was just what we needed. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- SOLID. Solid as a rockamyd1972VIPDined on 7/6/2014Tryst is the kind of place you NEED in your hood. They do everything consistently well. Love this place.Special Features:
- excellentMarshaDined on 6/28/2014This is a wonderful restaurant, with an interesting and delightful menu. All the choices I've made have been super--steak tips, chicken, pork, the noodles with Bolognese.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food in neighborhoodreturnagain14Dined on 6/26/2014Really enjoyed food. Portions are generous. Menu is very diverse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, once againOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/26/2014I have been to tryst a number of times and have always enjoyed it and this visit was no different. We were there for girls night out. We were able to relax and we were not rushed at all. Our server was pleasant and helpful. I had the shrimp tacos and really enjoyed them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatmjw22Dined on 6/25/2014I've never had a bad experience here. Service is great and the food is greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good, creative foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/21/2014Paul's food is creative, very tasty and there is nice variety on his menu. The right prices and a friendly staff make Tryst a real find and a favorite spot.Special Features:
- Lovely new experienceBrooklineFoodieDined on 6/20/2014I dined for the first time with a friend at Tryst before seeing a show nearby. We both loved it. We shared a shrimp taco for an appetizer that was perfect. Then we split a pig entree that was different and delicious. The waitstaff split both dishes for us after we told them we were sharing. They were mindful of our need to leave in time for the performance. I will surely return.Special Features:
- Wonderful BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/15/2014We've not been to Tryst three times for brunch - over the last year. It's very dependable, delicious, plenty of food, good service.Special Features:
- Great food and excellent serviceRobinVIPDined on 6/13/2014Consistently good food and great service. A little pricey but they make a great burger at a reasonable price. Also they have great fries.Special Features:
- Tryst is greatPrecatDined on 6/10/2014Another great meal with friends. We sat at a high top in the Bar Area and conversed easily. All four of our meals were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shrimp tacos!LuckyDucky149Dined on 6/7/2014Overall a great spot for dinner. Really enjoyed our meals, especially the shrimp tacos. Very delicious. (Though I thought there was a little too much avacado and also I am not sure the menu specified the shrimp is fried.) Everything else we ate was quite tasty, including my salmon and my husband's swordfish. If you're looking for a super romantic restaurant not sure if this will do it for you. While the ambiance is pretty good, I wouldn't also say it's a very romantic spot. The bar is right there, too. And there are several TV's mounted on the walls, so it still felt a little too much like a bar. Not that I have anything against bars at all...just wasn't what I was expecting.Special Features:
- Good but loudarlingtondinerDined on 6/6/2014Very enjoyable dinner - consistently good appetizers and entrées. It is very LOUD - makes it difficult to converse.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for business clientsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/2/2014I took clients from out of town to Tryst and they overwhelming approved of the choice. Everyone enjoyed the food and the service was great. Tryst is casual, unpretentious but also a place with atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise level was challengingDianeDined on 5/30/2014The bar area is noisy and it affects the dining adversely.Special Features:
- perfect dinnerborntoyumDined on 5/23/2014My wife and I met our son and his fiancé at Tryst for dinner. They highly recommended it from a previous visit, and we can see why. The food, drinks, service, and atmosphere were all outstanding. We shared the calamari and the shrimp taco appetizers. Both were extremely tasty, but if I had to choose one as a favorite, it would be the shrimp tacos. We all chose different entrees and were happy with our selections. On the basis of our very helpful server's recommendation, I opted for the Pig Under a Brick. One word review: Delicious! We will definitely return to Tryst!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great Dinnermjw22Dined on 5/22/2014I've never had a bad experience here. Service is great and the food is greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, hasty serviceNonicknameDined on 5/16/2014It's the second time I've eaten at Tryst. First time was on Super Bowl Sunday with a girlfriend also trying to avoid football madness. Although for some odd reason the restaurant has way too many TVs we were able to ignore The Game and enjoy the delicious food. My second time was on a Friday around 6:30 and the place was hopping. The food was good -- not as dazzling as before but the service felt rushed and that added an unpleasant element.Special Features:
- Very nice place with great serviceCrankinSteveVIPDined on 5/10/2014Enjoyed our meals, especially the service. Nice to have the smaller dishes along with the larger entrees. All in all, a place where we will return. Also, we were able to find parking on the street nearby making it pleasant to drive there.