689 Massachusetts Avenue
Arlington, MA 02720Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.trystrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (781) 641-2227
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Paul Turano
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Tryst restaurant hosts a wide variety of events ranging from small birthday parties to wedding receptions. Please contact us at the restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Amber Michele 7816412227
- Entertainment: Sunday Brunch jazz trio beginning 9/13.
A word from Tryst Restaurant
Tryst Restaurant serves creative American cuisine, using local and seasonal ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Tryst Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Arlington ›
Tryst Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (66)fit for foodies (59)special occasion (23)great for brunch (23)good for groups (19)vibrant bar scene (18)romantic (14)notable wine list (13)hot spot (7)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (3)Show More
- Great timewillyDined on 11/21/2014Always pleased. Great new menu items. Attentive staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local restaurant with flair and good food.thierryhubertDined on 11/17/2014This is an old time favorite of mine because it is near me. The ambiance is reliable and quiet. The food is possibly one on the best in Arlington center, if you like French-American food. I like the place and don't go enough because I usually think of going elsewhere for this type of restaurant. I would like to see a more vibrant crowd... but then again, it is Arlington.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fresh and delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/17/2014We went with some friends on a Monday night and the food was great! French fries were hot and delicious and the salad I ordered was wonderful (Kale and Brussels Sprouts). Each time we have been to Tryst we have had fresh and delicious food. Service is excellent as well. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great is you have a dietary restriction.EnjoyDined on 11/15/2014Menu lacked the kind of special foodie type things that I like to find. It is a wonderful place if you need a lot of dietary accommodation. No chocolate on the dessert menu?Special Features:
- MishapOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/9/2014I have eaten at Tryst many times and always enjoyed the food and service. However, on Nov. 9th I took a friend to brunch for her birthday. There was a mishap with the delivery of the drinks resulting in a Bellini being spilled all over me and the table. Apologies were made and napkins were fetched to dry everything off. However, there was no adjustment to the bill, which I think is pretty poor. I expected at least to have the two drinks comped.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty decent overallviolistDined on 11/6/2014Great menu for noshing. Appetizers mostly big enough to share around. Ingredients excellent, treatments rather unsubtle but pleasing enough. Service willing (though one of us found procedural issues that the rest of us didn't mind). Would return if in the neighbohood.Special Features:
- Nice to have in townstarlingtonVIPDined on 11/6/2014Tryst is a great little place to take our small kids and still have a nice adult meal with a glass of wine. Nice atmosphere and friendly staff. It's also a nice casual spot to grab a drink occasionally.Special Features:
- sophisticated menucarharschDined on 11/4/2014Duck tacos on the website menu drew me in, but alas they weren't on the menu the night we went. Went with the pork belly tacos and was not disappointed! The guacamole starter with homemade tortilla chips was wonderful. The chips were warm and salty. Very good. My friend ordered the bourbon marinated steak tips which were perfectly medium rare and delicious. I had the kale and brussels sprouts salad with chopped hazelnuts and the pork belly tacos. The servings were generous and well prepared. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treefriend1Dined on 11/1/2014We celebrated my birthday at Tryst The offerings had unusual taste combinations, like tiny cubes of Granny Smith apples in curried cauliflower soup. We liked the warmed spinach salad. As a vegetarian my choices were limited. The staff were good about changing my drink order (white sangria) when I didn't like my first choice. I guess sangria is different in different places. I found it too noisy, and was surprised that there were TVs showing sports events. Not my idea of a tryst! We were able to be seated in a place in the back, behind a screen, where that was less obnoxious. I said I would recommend Tryst, but I would do so only with a warning about the noise level and the TVs. Because of those factors I may not return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood jointwakawakawakaVIPDined on 10/31/2014Consistently great food and service - I always know it will be money well spent at Tryst!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/30/2014While I like Tryst, I will not sit in the bar area again because it was way too noisy. Also, I wish the menu had stated that the shrimp in the shrimp tacos are fried.
- Great local brunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/26/2014My wife and I have went to the brunch several times and ALWAYS have been very pleased. We did have a bit of food 'hiccup' on our last visit with one of the 'specials'. However, the management staff was quick to react, apologizing and taking the dish off my bill. We did appreciate the response and look forward to going back again for brunch.Special Features:
- FeedMeSeymourDined on 10/26/2014Service was a bit slow, but not bad. Food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummy dinner!Mish2702Dined on 10/23/2014Went here for a weekday dinner - and it was delicious. We wanted the guacamole, but since I don't like cilantro, the chef offered to do a half order of that (since it has cilantro) and a half order of one of the other dips to make sure there was something I enjoy - very thoughtful, and a great way to make sure patrons are happy! I ordered the short rib grilled cheese, which was excellent, and my friend got the steak tips (which came with mac & cheese). The bar was full, but we would've definitely sat there had there been availability. I would definitely come back here, the manager checked in with us several times - we felt well taken care of.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't returnCMRArlingtonDined on 10/18/2014From the slow service, loud noise volume, walls of flat panel tvs, and awful food, we felt we ate in a glorified sports bar. My salmon burger was awful - no seasoning or sauce. My fries had a layer of burnt ones on the bottom. My margarita was barely drinkable. The server asked if we were done with the bread and we said yes so she took everything - including my husband's bread plate with half a piece of bread that he was still eating, all utensils, etc. The noise level was so low, I had to translate everything the server said to my husband. To be fair my husband's cheeseburger was fairly good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/11/2014There were 4 of us, and everyone thoroughly enjoyed their meal. The calamari was outstanding, crisp and tender. The pig under brick was perfect, as was the duck special and heirloom ravioli. Our server was very attentive, and the cocktails very innovative. Our only complaint was the noise level and the necessity of all the T.V.'s. You're either a sports bar or a traditional restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood favoritecherylglVIPDined on 10/9/2014This is our favorite local restaurant, which we walk to often and grab a seat at the bar or a table if one is available. This time I made a reservation because I was meeting a friend and wanted to make sure there was availability. The food, as always, was outstanding. The warm spinach salad had the right combination of savory and sweet and was dressed just right. The bolognese sauce is my favorite. Rich and tasty. My friend loved her pumpkin ravioli. Only complaint: Our waiter. This was the 2nd time I have had this waiter and I didn't realize it until it was too late. He was disinterested and unattentive, bordering on rude. I won't sit at one of his tables again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SwoonBostonFoodLoverVIPDined on 10/3/2014Kale salad is soooo good! The Pig Under a Brick was terrific, too. All in all, a lovely restaurant. It's crowded on Friday nights but the back was quiet and intimate.Special Features:
- a good experienceDunwichVIPDined on 9/26/2014We had been to Tryst before, but not in a while because it is a little out of the way for us. Our drinks, appetizers, and entrees (pasta) were all good. One negative for us is that the flat-screen sports TVs everywhere seem to clash with the other aspects of the dining experience.Special Features:
- great timewillyDined on 9/26/2014great service, taste, and variety. we go all the time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/25/2014Great food with a variety of large and small plates for those who like to try a bunch of things. Signature drinks delightful.Special Features:
- anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/8/2014My wife and I had a great anniversary dinner here...the lobster corn chowder was great and the salmon was too. For a Monday night they did a great job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not only good food and ambiancemadrikhDined on 9/8/2014On t he OpenTable reservation form I made a 'special request' for a surprise for my companion-- nothing difficult, but nonetheless taking a bit of effort to remember and implement. Tryst was superb. They remembered, they executed, and it was clear from her smile when I gave my name that the greeter enjoyed the restaurant's role. It was a little bit of effort that made the evening very, very special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/5/2014I had two starters--shrimp tacos and the tomato salad. Both were VERY good. But, I have to say there was nothing else on the menu that interested me. If I went back, I would get the same thing and be very happy. But, I think they need to shift around their menu if I were to go there a lot.
- Gluten FreeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/5/2014They had gluten free choices which was good for my husband. And they removed the pepper from the flat iron steak for me. Food was excellent.Special Features:
- JkuhnDined on 8/27/2014Went their for my birthday during restaurant week, we enjoyed great food and service..couldn't ask for me!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood favoritecherylglVIPDined on 8/23/2014Since we can walk to this restaurant, we come here often to sit at the bar and enjoy an informal dinner. We invited friends this time so made an actual reservation. The food was, as always, excellent, from the fried oysters to the kale salad to the tagliatelle with bolognese. We were surprised with the unfriendliness of our waiter. He was efficient, but a bit surly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversaryDined on 8/22/2014Great Menu with many vegetarian and gluten free options as well as plenty of fish and meat. Deliciously prepared and served. Wish the place was a bit quieter. Will try for brunch.Special Features:
- another good experienceRoRoDined on 8/19/2014Still love the kale salad. Great place for restaurant week meal. Excellent service as usual.Special Features:
- best burgerswolfeyes528VIPDined on 8/18/2014Not quite sure why their burgers are so delicious, but they are. Best burgers around!Special Features:
- resrvationsVIPDined on 8/18/2014A/C set much too high; having to wear coats & jackets to try and be comfortable not desirable; Shivering while dining is not pleasant. Shrimp taco was good; Peach pie a little on the dry side; Salmon was tasty but also on the dry side; My dining companion enjoyed the chicken entreeSpecial Features:
- YummspicyfanDined on 8/17/2014Great value during Dine Out Boston. Shrimp taco is superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For Sunday Brunch, Look No FurtherBostonSeanDined on 8/17/2014I'd say Tryst has the most delicious brunch around. Four of us went there during dine out Boston, combining for seven different menu items--and all seven were positively scrumptious! One might be an accident, two a lucky break, but seven? You can take that to the bank (of your stomach!).Special Features:
- A pleasant evening.HenrunDined on 8/13/2014Good service. Good food. We sampled 2 of the wines we were thinking about. Food was creatively presented and in ample portions. We were 2 couples and we're able to hear each other without difficulty and stayed to talk for some time without being pressured to leave. Prices were fair. The only negative was the quality of the coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over-attentive staffAMtwoVIPDined on 8/5/2014The over-attentive staff was a bit off-putting. At one point, I almost told the hostess to just go away and not come back. A busser tried to take our appetizer twice while we were still eating it, long before our mains showed up. Despite good food, the service was the driver for our experience & rating. I really liked my appetizer and dinner, but it was tough to enjoy the food and conversation with our friend when staff kept interrupting us. We probably had a half dozen different people check on us multiple times throughout the evening. Our reservation was on a Tuesday night, and there were plenty of empty tables, so they didn't need to rush us. If I go back, I will certainly sit at the bar, to attempt to escape the over-attentive staff.
- Great Meal on Saturday NightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2014Tryst is always a pleasure to dine at. Tryst is very accommodating to reservation needs. Joseph is a great, professional, waiter.Special Features:
- Consistently greatFoodie87VIPDined on 8/1/2014This chef rivals those in Boston and Cambridge. Food is inventive and well prepared. Our server was attentive.Special Features:
- Date nightKellyVIPDined on 7/30/2014Friendly and attentive wait staff and fantastic food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 762 reviews are from the Tryst Restaurant reviews archive.
- Great dinner!BRFadeVIPDined on 7/25/2014Had a table in the bar on Friday evening and as usual the food was great! My wife had the steak tips which were awesome (I def had food envy!) which came with a salad and pasta side dish. The tips were tender and delicious and were a great value. We shared the Tapas which was also terrific. Really interesting variety of items with the Serrano ham, chorizo stuffed dates and the peppadews. I had a burger for my main and was done perfectly (medium rare)! We sort of had revolving servers but everyone was great and service never lacked. Bar scene was great as well and we enjoy dining there more than the back of the restaurant. Tryst always has an interesting menu and lots of choices which is the reason to return to try other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Cocktails!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/25/2014We stopped in for a quick appetizer and drink before heading to a party and everything was great! The bartenders are so nice and the drinks were delicious. I love the shrimp tacos!Special Features: