21050 N. Tatum Blvd.
Phoenix, AZ 85050Neighborhood:
Fusion / EclecticPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.trystcafe.com/
- Phone: 4805857978
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 7:00am- 2:30pm
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Global, International, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Our eclectic fresh menu is also available for catering and feature breakfast, lunch and dinner. Boxed lunches or buffet platters are commonplace for corporate meetings. Continental or hot buffet breakfasts can be prepared for a variety of settings. Hot and cold appetizers are perfect for any social setting, open houses, parties and more. More elaborate lunch or dinner entrees are available for more formal or special occasions and events.
- Entertainment: The first Monday of the Month features a rotation of performers typically acousitc guitarists playing a variety of genres.
A word from Tryst Cafe
According to the dictionary, a “tryst” can be a little bit sinful. So how do you turn a tryst in something healthy? Tryst Café in north Phoenix has a few ideas. Open for Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner, the menu combines sinful flavors with natural, organic, antibiotic/hormone free proteins and even gluten-free food and drink. The eclectic fresh cuisine is served up in an energetic, contemporary urban environment. Tryst has received numerous accolades including Best New Restaurant, Best Breakfast, and "Best" recognitions for a variety of menu items including the fresh squeezed orange juice, sweet potato tots, beer battered green beans, Hawaiian breakfast, Monte Cristo, Gluten Free French toast and more. The full bar features organic liquor, beer, and wine. A rotation of local wines are available. Keep an eye out for scheduled wine tastings and try the organic tequila flight while you’re enjoying your meal. Live entertainment is available on the first Monday of the month. Free WIFI!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Tryst Cafe - Best Restaurants in Phoenix ›
Tryst Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (27)great for brunch (23)great for outdoor dining (21)great for lunch (19)fit for foodies (17)kid-friendly (7)good for groups (5)special occasion (2)vibrant bar scene (1)hot spot (1)notable wine list (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- The other reviews are rightTonyDined on 8/26/2014Food was great. Even dinner was great unlike so many other people said. What was terrible? The service. Wow, was it bad. We say down for nearly 15-minutes with no water. I finally had to yell for a server inside a restaurant that wasn't very busy. Had to do that a second time for refills. The food was great, however. Fast too, like any other restaurant. I would recommend this place if your fine flagging down a waitress, which I am.I would recommend this to a friend.
- BreakfastDaveHVIPDined on 8/25/2014On my first visit to Tryst, we came for breakfast. They were friendly and accommodating, but overall the food was just so so. They specialize in organic and gluten free, which is both a novelty and refreshing. The gluten free bread is very good albeit a bit try, but very tasty when slathered with butter. The omelets are very dry with not enough cheese to make up the difference and the biscuit under the sausage gravy was golf ball hard. I did observe a plate of pancakes that a neighboring table were devouring with gusto and the Hawaiian breakfast was strongly recommended by our server, but I prefer going low carb for breakfast. The menu is interesting and well worth a try. I will give it another go for their happy hour.Special Features:
- First time wont be my lastCherDined on 8/22/2014Amazing food and service. I had lunch and the SW chicken salad was so flavorful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lunch Meeting PlaceCraigsAZDined on 8/18/2014I love the food and service of this place, but most definitely the fact that I can talk and hear people when we have lunch, it's become my favorite place to have meetings!Special Features:
- ServiceMssybrittyVIPDined on 8/14/2014The service and our breakfast was amazing! Our waitress was fantastic! Tryst is one of our favorite places for breakfastSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BreakfastMssybrittyVIPDined on 8/11/2014I had the kale omelette. It was fast and fresh! I would recommend this to everyoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- glutenfreegalDined on 8/6/2014Lots of Gluten free options and wait staff is very careful to make sure it is celiac safe! Make reservations for larger groups as both the dining room and patio are small, but they are great at accommodating groups.Special Features:
- Great foodMssybrittyVIPDined on 7/15/2014Always like this place for breakfast. This was our first time for dinner, it was excellent!Special Features:
- Better for breakfastnforknerDined on 7/12/2014We had been to Tryst before for breakfast after a 5k and loved it, so my wife and I decided to go for a date night dinner. We got the Southwest Chicken Salad, which was good, and the fideo, which was OK. Overall, we felt like the dinner menu was overpriced for what you got. We'd still recommend Tryst for breakfast or brunch, but probably not for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a healthy choiceRickAZVIPDined on 7/5/2014We enjoy the Tryst Café before attending evening events @ the MIM.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnsatisfactoryPittJonesVIPDined on 7/3/2014We had happily been to Tryst many times for breakfast and lunch and decided to try dinner before a concert at MIM. We told the hostess we had the concert and asked to be promptly served. However, once seated, we were ignored for 15 minutes (no water, drinks, etc.). Once we were noticed and placed our order, the results were decidedly mixed. Ribs came out before the kale wraps; no wet towel provided for the ribs and no salad ever served (though ordered) and the side vegetables were not good--had an odd taste and were unimaginative. The kale wraps were tasty enough but should have been accompanied by fruit (as stated on the menu) instead of side salads (resulting in greens overload). All in all, a disappointing experience to say the least.
- Great food; fantastic servicelauriebattDined on 6/27/2014We dined at Tryst Cafe as it's a good middle spot for friends from the east valley and west valley to meet for a meal. Whenever someone mentions Desert Ridge, I mention the Tryst Cafe. Organic food, great selection of gluten-free options, nice wine list. It's a little tough to spot from the road, but once you find it, you'll keep on coming back. And Kayla was a fantastic service person! She kept her cool no matter what we asked her. Kudos to Kayla and Tryst!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great spotmikiejlewDined on 6/21/2014we where here for dinner once and had to return for breakfast. (we heard it was great ) everything was terrific ! service was spot on.could be our new go to placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Organic & Gluten FreeMatildeeDined on 6/15/2014Loved the gluten free options and the advice of the waitress. Very friendly and extra helpful!Special Features:
- glutenfreegalDined on 6/5/2014This is a great spot for a girls' day out! Great healthy food with lost of gluten free options!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New menu additions for brunchAustinVIPDined on 6/1/2014They have a pretty good selection for brunch and have several new additions to the menu for breakfast and lunch which feature Kale.Special Features:
- OkGoodEatsDined on 5/18/2014There were many things wrong with our order and our server was not very attentive. Service was quite poor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for gluten freeBizGalDined on 5/17/2014Tryst is a great place to eat, especially for those with gluten issues. They have a wide variety of dishes and some very tasty wines. We celebrated a birthday with friends. They have a great patio dining area to add to the main restaurant. One tip, if you make special requests in your reservation, call and verify that the restaurant received them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best find this year!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/16/2014We recently came here because of my health concerns eating out. Found it to be right on target with my desires! I didn't see any musicians, maybe we were too early. I was shocked it wasn't full but then we dine early about 6 to7 ish. The only thing that bothered me is all the overflow energy from the next door neighbor pizza place. The ambiance is not pretty, the chairs uncomfortable, tables wobble. Maybe some hanging baskets or something. Pretty dingy but it was clean. Maybe they need a sparkling location to go with the great menu! My husband was impressed and he hates it when we go somewhere healthy. Now we can both be happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mikiejlewDined on 5/5/2014Great little find, good food & service ! Next time we're going for breakfast , heard it's the bestSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tryst Againpeanut95Dined on 5/4/2014Tryst is a neighborhood gem. We have been coming here for years. We really enjoy the breakfast selections, especially the Hawaiin Breakfast and the Huevos Rancheros. The anaheim chili sauce is amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 60 reviews are from the Tryst Cafe reviews archive.
- Local favoritePepper46Dined on 5/3/2014Good, sustainable ingredients, combined in a tasty and appealing way. Organic when possible...bison burgers and kale salad, rock!Special Features:
- Nutritious and fresh foodsPatti0252Dined on 5/1/2014This restaurant is situated in a strip mall and is not that attractive looking...however the food was fresh and flavorful. The spring rolls were delicious and the freshness and crunch of the veggies was delightful! So nice to have a a hot night in the desert! I had the wild salmon. It was good but it was overcooked. My husband had the pork taco which was very good but needed alittle spice...however once he tasted the ranch dressing that it came with he was pleasantly surprised how good it was...not your typical ranch dressing. The restaurant does need to update the chairs....they had rips in them which made them uncomfortable...especially on bare legs. Yes...I would definitely go back!Special Features:
- Special Diet FriendlyPegvilleDined on 4/27/2014Great food. Lots of options that come standard Gluten-free/low-carb etc. All the "specialties" that other places normally tack on $3-$5 just to "make it like that" Tryst does it for free!Special Features:
- A favorite!Pepper46Dined on 4/20/2014Tryst Cafe uses sustainable ingredients, and organic and local when ever they can. This is the reason I went there in the first place. The food is always good, and the ambiance is great, considering it is a cafe. I like the fact that they take reservations, so the wait isn't long. Parking is a challenge, but it's worth the effort. I go back frequently and took my daughter and son-in-law there for Easter Brunch.Special Features:
- Great BreakfastwellnessrnVIPDined on 4/6/2014My Mother and I ate there on Sunday, April 6th prior to a shopping excursion. It was great that we could make reservation and get quick and friendly service. Our waitress was Liza was very sweet and attentive. I drink my coffee black and hate most restaurant coffee, even Starbucks but I must say their coffee was very good and what was nice the cup was always kept full. We both had pancakes which we enjoyed. I got the multigrain with blueberries and candied walnuts. They were delicious and huge. My mom just got the plain buttermilk and she said they were very good. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- nice low-key spot for a casual mealDaveAZBCDined on 3/29/2014Four of us went to Tryst Cafe before a concert at MIM (it is very close!) and we had a pleasant experience. We caught the last 30 minutes of Happy Hour and several appies and drinks were reduced in price. Service was friendly and quick, as Tryst was not very busy. We had breaded green beans and chicken skewers as appies and they were fresh, hot and delicious. Then we had entrees and they were also very good. This is a small 'storefront' style place, so don't expect a luxurious fine dining experience. When we first entered, it was nearly empty and didn't seem very appealing, but the service and food won us over - we would go again for a quick pre-concert meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The healthy choiceRickAZVIPDined on 3/28/2014Fresh wholesome meals prepared and served with care. Try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It is a wonderful place hidingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/19/2014It is a wonderful place hiding in the Desert Ridge mall area. Great people and great ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Desert Ridge spot!CaiseyDined on 3/16/2014We loved our brunch experience at Tryst! The ability to make reservations (we're a family with a baby) was super convenient. The food was delicious and fresh. The server was pleasant and attentive. We can't wait to come back :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was slow. We wereOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/15/2014Service was slow. We were all finished eating when the last person at our table fnally got their food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Green BeansRecEaterVIPDined on 3/7/2014The beer battered green beans were worth the trip to Tryst Cafe. Delicious. The BBQ bacon was also very good and we topped off our meals with the turtle cheesecake. A very enjoyable dining experience. Wait staff was very attentive and helpful in making our selections. Looking forward to going back and trying some other menu items.Special Features:
- Tryst Cafepeanut95Dined on 3/2/2014We have enjoyed Tryst for as long as it has been in business. We love the food, and the servers are very attentive.Special Features:
- An unexpected treatphinicky11Dined on 2/17/2014This was a first visit for a group of five friends who appreciate well made food, particularly if it is also healthy. Service was friendly and prompt and the wait staff was patient while we took some time with our decisions. The food was great, beautifully plated. Portions are quite large. We have already made a date for a return luncheon here in a few months.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome with great foodMazdDined on 2/14/2014I was looking for a spot where I could get some quality food and found it here. Great little spot with great service and awesome food. I would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice PlaceSunCityDined on 2/14/2014Organic foods....good eating. Worth the drive and effort.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service & food were very good;OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014Service & food were very good; noise level was 'moderate' but, after all, it was Valentine's Night!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/14/2014Great location near MIM to catch a bite pre-concert. I choose the Salmon Florentine with Sweet Potato Hash after reading other recommendations online and my husband ordered the Steak Salad. I was not disappointed, ate every last bite and would definitely order again. My husband commented that the salad was good, but not great (due to the cinnamon sweet pecans that didn't pair well with the steak). The overall vibe and atmosphere were very pleasing. The only major disappointment was lack of service and mostly being ignored considering the restaurant was only about half full. An uncomfortably long time passed after we were seated (and we were thirsty!). We had the same issue during dinner and when trying to get our bill, felt abandoned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent fresh dishes. WeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/2/2014Excellent fresh dishes. We are here many times last year on our visit to AZ and made it a point to come back this year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FreshMssybrittyVIPDined on 2/1/2014The food was fresh and had many healthy options! Loved it. One of my new favorite placesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.