3118 West Lake Street
Minneapolis, MN 55416Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.trygs.com/
- Phone: 6129207777
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 3:00 pm - 1:00 am, Friday 3:00 pm - 2:00 am, Saturday 11:00 am - 2:00 am, Sunday 10:00 am - midnight.
Happy Hour: Monday-Saturday 3 pm - 7 pm, Sunday All Day (including 1/2 price bottles of wine $75 and under). Late Happy Hour: Monday - Thursday 10 pm - 12 pm. Saturday 2 for 1 single shot rail drinks from 11 am - 7 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American
- Executive Chef: Chris Gauthier
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining room can accommodate parties up to 24 people. Semi-private area can accommodate parties up to 30 people, and our main dining room can accommodate parties of up to 200 people.
- Private Party Contact: Becky 6129207777
- Entertainment: DJ Dan mixing old school R&B and hip-hop Friday night from 9-2 am, Saturday from 9pm-2am, and Sunday live Jazz during brunch
- Special Events: Happy Hour: Monday - Saturday 3 pm - 7 pm, all day Sunday.
Late Happy Hour: Monday - Thursday 10 pm -12 am.
Saturday Happy Hour: 2 for 1 single shot rail drinks from 11 am to 7 pm
Check out our daily specials at www.trygs.com
A word from Tryg's
Tryg’s is the complete dining experience! It embodies both the comforts of Minnesota and the urban chic of its surroundings through unique touches evident in the physical space and American fare with a unique twist. Upon arriving, dining guests are greeted by impressive architecture and innovative design that is capable of providing each diner with the dining experience they desire. The blazing fireplace in the entrance will make every guest feel at home. Whether you are the culinary critic, a wine aficionado, a private party or semi-private diner, Tryg’s has the setting to accommodate you, and the food to keep you coming back. Tryg’s menu is carefully considered with both recognizable and exceptional cuisine, prepared with the freshest ingredients and tantalizing sauces. We have a beautiful wood-burning rotisserie and grill which is the focus of the menu. There is also an outdoor fire pit overlooking Lake Calhoun that highlights Tryg’s casual, relaxed atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Tryg's reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (11)neighborhood gem (8)special occasion (4)great for brunch (4)good for groups (4)vibrant bar scene (4)romantic (3)late-night find (3)great for lunch (2)scenic view (1)fit for foodies (1)hot spot (1)kid-friendly (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Sunday BrunchcasualdinerDined on 9/7/2014Small crowd on the day I was there for Sunday brunch. Not a buffet style, but order from the menu. Reasonably priced mimosa style drinks and I had the German pancake which was delicious. I would definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great priceswillsDined on 9/2/2014Great prices on food and drinks during happy hour that goes till 7PM!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a place where you can sit and talk.saltDined on 8/22/2014We had the set meal for $25, the presentation was interesting and tasted delicious, included salad, entree and dessert. Waitress attentive and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavor rich, service poorGwhizDined on 8/13/2014We chose Tryg's for an anniversary dinner thinking the ambiance would be romantic, and the location would allow for a stroll around Calhoun afterwards. We made a reservation requesting back booth seating and letting them know it was a special occasion. When we arrived she waved off our reservation and proceeded to bring us to a table when we had requested a quiet booth. The waitress literally forgot about us twice! We asked to see the cook's special menu and she left for 15 minutes and then returned to ask if we were now ready to order! Any time we asked for anything it was doubtful it would happen. The food was flavorful, but the service soured the entire experience. It was a special night and we were really disappointed. Won't return.Special Features:
- Poor ServicemplsfoodieDined on 8/8/2014While the food was good, the service was terrible. This was the worst serving experience I have ever had! Not only was the menu mislabeled, but it took about 30 minutes for the server to correct and re-correct our tickets/bills. My friend (who is severely allergic to gluten), ordered the "GF Mac and Cheese" on the menu, only to find out that it was NOT gluten free! Two different servers confirmed that it was GF, but when she questioned the server the 3rd time, they said that they didn't know and had to check with the chef. It was indeed, not GF. We talked to the manager and he wasn't aware of this misprint on the menu. Very unprofessional and dangerous for our GF friends.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmingTRandFriendsVIPDined on 7/26/2014Overall Tryg's has been great for more inventive food and something special or memorable. I've had some great dinners there and enjoyed some quite nice evenings with friends when we wanted to have special night. Perhaps the dining room is in better shape than the bar....we chose the bar since it was less crowded and a booth was available. But, the furniture is in disrepair, falling apart and worn. The environment is dated and in need of refreshing...not necessarily lacking in cleanliness, but looking unattended to. Our server and the others didn't really have the polish that I'd expect for a casual dinner that cost us EACH $ 45.00! That was only one glass of wine, btw. Overall, the space, the servers, the maintenance....looked messy.
- DisappointmentMplsFamilyDined on 7/21/2014Tryg's was once on our list of nice places with friends for good food, and upbeat, classy casual atmosphere. Four years or so have passed, this visit was a let-down. Much can be overlooked when air concitioning malfunctions on a hot day leaving half the restaurant warm but... when our party arrived at 5:45 on a Monday, the host was unable to concel frustration with his situation. He reopened the draped-off warm half and seated us where a table had been set for our party of 6. Upon our request we were moved, rather less than enthusiastically, to a table in the cooler half. Then, the service was slow, though we were one of only three tables occupied; 5 out of 6 dishes were somewhat over cooked, the steak well past order.
- Outdoor Dining Too Noisy, but winemomma33Dined on 7/15/2014The food was good, but overpriced. The wine list was great, as were the Happy Hour prices for the wine. We wanted a great place to eat outdoors, and even thought the weather was nice, it was not a great experience due to the close proximity of Lake St. and all the noise. Some kind of a barrier - shrubs or something to help block the noise might make it better. We do not plan on returning.Special Features:
- Trygs on the declinejohnDined on 7/12/2014Used to be a favorite place for not too casual, not too formal dining. Has dropped to average at best. Nothing memorable for food or drink.
- TerribleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014Was unacceptable dinner date for 4 ppl. Food was bad, noise level was intolerable, ambience was non-existent. Not even good drinks. Not going back, nor recommending. Learned shortly after they are going out of business, which was no surprise.
- Great Father's Day bruncheihpetsDined on 6/15/2014We enjoyed the live music and the food was wonderful. Our server was very nice but it was very slow to get orders in and the food to our table. I wouldn't have noticed as much if we didn't have an energetic 4 year old with us. It was almost too long to wait before melt down. Once food came we were all happy and it was overall a great brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWFUL707kkkDined on 6/15/2014It was my first and last time there. Went for Fathers Day, very embarrassed because I chose this spot, thinking I'd try something different. Bad Bad choice, from the start…horrible service, food was good, but it took 1 1/2 hours to get our breakfast, seriously!!! Our waitress was a slow and never checked on us unless we would finally catch her and ask for something. It was by far the worst restaurant experience I have ever had. I could go on and on, but let's just say, don't waste your time, there are many other great places to go!
- Drinks? Yes. Food? No!doctorgonzoDined on 6/15/2014I've been to Tryg's for happy hour before and found it just fine. So when we were looking for a last-minute Father's Day reservation, I figured "What the hell?" I knew that there was probably a good reason they had reservations available on such a popular day, and boys, was I right. The food sucked, but at least it took a long time to get to the table, so I guess that's a wash? If you like dry toast without any hint of butter, or slightly-cooked eggs, maybe this is the place for you. Better make sure your server understands what you ordered, however, because they don't seem to know what is on their own menu. Best to point and get mutual acknowledgement of the food that you expect. I won't be going back for food. Drinks, why not?
- Patio dining3moviegoersVIPDined on 6/11/2014My high school friends met on the patio at Tryg's for a mini-reunion. We shared a variety of appetizers. Food was good and our waitress was a doll. It was a lovely summer evening.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprisedHappyDined on 5/24/2014I hate writing reviews but I was so pleasantly surprised I thought I would. SO had strip steak with a sweet potato type of mash or purée (?) - I don't feel like looking to find out and I had a sausage linguine and am appetizer if jalepeno poppers ? Everything surpassed out expectations. I thought the jalapeno appetizer would be generic but it was jalapeno (no breading it coating) with a cheese on it wrapped in bacon , grilled it barbecued?- with a small amt of a red pepper or something sauce..... Amazing. The bill was more than I anticipated (drinks add up fast) but it was worth it- I will be returning .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner Before a ShowCLRHGDined on 5/24/2014Great place for dinner "on the way" downtown. We went to Tryg's before going to the Minnesota Orchestra. We sat on the patio and it was lovely. Flatbread was excellent! Service was good too!Special Features:
- The following 612 reviews are from the Tryg's reviews archive.
- Shaky start to a so so mealBirthdaygirlVIPDined on 5/11/2014Went for Mother's Day brunch. Our table wasn't ready, there were empty unbused tables all around us, the buffet line had good selections but the appearance of spilled food really took your appetite away. With as many servers and managers on duty there was no excuse as to why the buffet line was so filthy. Won't be back again for a dinner, instead may have a drink and appetizers on the patio. Tryg's needs to do better, they are in a great location and have a nice ambiance, it would be nice if they took pride in thier dinning area as well.
- Underwhelming Brunch BuffetBjohns82VIPDined on 5/11/2014We've been to Tryg's in the past and decided to try their Mother's Day Brunch last week, yet all in our group were fairly underwhelmed. First the food leaned more towards the lunch side or brunch and didn't even have any type of omelette/egg bar that I would expect at their price point. The food was ok, but wasn't what I would expect for $28 a person, not including beverages. We've never had a bad experience at Tryg's before, but I'd probably recommend passing on their brunch buffet.
- Sunday BrucnhSundayBrunchDined on 5/11/2014The brunch table had a lot of variety, but northing that would make Tryg's stand out from the competition. The manager yelled at the hostess in front of the customers at the hostess stand, very unprofessional. Felt sorry for her. Will have to dine at Tryg's again to determine if I will ever go back for a 3rd time.Special Features:
- Tryg's food qualityKSSChoiceDined on 5/9/2014Love the decor and atmosphere. Walleye with asparagus dinner lacked presentation and tasted dry. Adding a purée or sauce to rest the fish on would have been nice and the asparagus was over cooked. The bar scene was nice with good dance music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as alwaysCherryDined on 4/27/2014We have always enjoyed great meals, great menu options and a good value for dinner. It is a great place to take guests and friends or to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:
- easter brunchmuthieDined on 4/20/2014A few very good dishes, but overall not as good as they served during Thanksgiving Brunch. 2013 Thanksgiving brunch they had a very good selection and I was very impressed so wanted to do Easter Brunch here as well.Special Features:
- I'd stick with the bar and the appsJennyDined on 4/5/2014whenever I try to have a meal in the main restaurant I leave not satisfied with the food. I do like the apps and the bar scene and style of the cute bar area though, so I'd stick with that.Special Features:
- Not a great experienceHappyhourfunDined on 3/18/2014The first issue was there was no one at the hostess desk to seat us so we found a spot ourselves. The waitress eventually came and when she asked us how we were and we asked back she said she didn't want to be there and just shook her head. She got progressively nicer but the first few encounters were very rude. Also my fork was extremely dirty with food caked on it.
- An 'ok' experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/16/2014My boyfriend and I randomly found this place and wanted to try it. The waitress was really nice and so was the breakfast sandwich. The French toast was NOT cooked and when we told the waitress she said 'good to know'. We were still charged the full price and no one ever came to our table to ask how our food was. It was very slow and I'm guessing a manager was on duty.
- Delightful Morning!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/9/2014Our experience at Tryg's for Sunday Brunch was memorable because of the great service, good food and being in the company of lifelong friends. Our friends were pleased and commented on the great choice we made to dine at Tryg's.Some even said they would tell others to try it! We will definitely return.
- Trygs is a comfy lovely restaurant.EdinamomVIPDined on 2/27/2014We were there on a very frigid night. The bar was hopping, but the dining room was not very busy. We like the dining room...not too noisy. We ordered some things from the happy hour menu which was available before 7 pm and also some items from the regular menu. We ordered ribs, but they were out and the popovers were a bit disappointing. The happy hour wines were quite good. My husband liked the generous portion and flavor of his steak sandwich. Service was attentive and friendly.Special Features:
- Went for early Sunday brunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/23/2014Went for early Sunday brunch. Not too busy at the time, but was picking up as we left. Had the eggs benedict, and was very good, with a nice thick slice of smoked ham, and great hollandaise. Wonderful Bloody Mary bar. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice neighborhood spotfullDined on 2/14/2014Valentines day, so the place was packed. Been there a few times, and hasn't always seemed so busy. Bar does well. Really like the food. Make sure you try the deviled eggs, and the babybacks are great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines DayanonymousDined on 2/14/2014I took my wife there for Valentines day and I was very disappointed. You would expect them to be prepared for a relatively busy night, however they were out of Ribeye steak and potatoes. The New York strip was flavorless, the "home-made" hummus was blah, and the pita chips were stale. Maybe it was a bad night for them, but I can't say that I'd recommend anyone roll the dice on them in the future.
- Bait and SwitchFoodieDined on 2/14/2014We ordered appetizers, and prime rib special. Our appetizers took about 45 minutes and as we were just starting our appetizer our prime rib came out. The prime rib was so raw it was blue. We mentioned it to one of the manager and be agreed to take care of it. They brought it back after just searing it. The manager saw what they did and said, " they didn't take care of it." Then he brought back a ribeye and said, " here's your second course." It was an overdone, dry piece of ribeye. I was done. Did he think that we weren't going to notice. We were done. They comped 20 percent. What a poorly ran restaurant. Did not even come to apologize. We will not be going back.
- Poor dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014I was hoping for a nice night out with my wife.what I got was a table right next to the bar area the music was excessively loud to the point or I could not hold a conversation. The food was decent however the service was extremely poor, we had to continuously flag our waitress down to refill our Drinks well as request silverware. free dinner for two that costs over $100, I would have expected much more.
- Not all waiters poorOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014I love coming to this restaurant. As much as a visit I can't complain and say I won't come back because of my first-ever experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great staffeye4gotVIPDined on 2/14/2014We arrived during a very busy Valentine's Day dinner rush. The staff was super friendly. Our waitress (I think her name was Billie) was super attentive even though you could tell she was very busy. She did an AWESOME job and made us feel like we were her only customers. Tryg's is a favorite & we will keep coming back. Oh and the food and drinks are great too!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday FlopBdayDinerDined on 2/1/2014Tryg's has always been hit or miss with me, but they have a decent bar and a great dj on Saturdays, so decided to have my birthday dinner there. The food was just OK; I ordered the butternut squash ravioli and was incredibly disappointed by the 7 small, oily raviolis piled in the middle of my very large plate. This would barely qualify as an appetizer! The rest of my party found their respective meals (ribs, steaks, & salmon) to be bland and/or over-cooked. Our server was moody and quickly forgot both our drink orders and dessert orders. She also failed to acknowledge that there was a birthday despite being reminded by my party. Awkward. If it weren't for the bar & dj, I'd probably never go back.Special Features:
- The Server Didn't Really ServePizzleDined on 1/31/2014The food was great. The server was absolutely horrible. He didn't seem knowledgeable about the food menu or the alcohol selection. He repeatedly brought the wrong drinks and food. He also overcharged us by 18 dollars. Thank goodness I noticed the mistake. Not even near a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It has to be about the foodRayBDined on 1/31/2014And the food was just okay. Fish tacos included large pieces of fish, but mostly a close slaw. The linguine with mushroom and creamy pesto. Less is more, why load it with creamy pesto. A traditional garlic oil pesto would have been great.Special Features:
- We had a great eating experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/25/2014We had a great eating experience. Loved the atmosphere. Steaks were delicious!Special Features:
- Not so hotOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/19/2014Our waiter was very friendly--but we rarely saw him. We ordered a coke, a fat-free cappuccino and an iced tea. The server came back to the table with a coke and said they don't have skimmed milk for cappuccino or iced tea (yet they had hot tea..hmmm...). He said they had regular milk for cappuccino, so we said that would be fine--he came back with 2 glasses of milk. We laughed it off and then rarely saw him again. The food was average at best, the service was poor--but friendly. None of us were impressed and wouldn't recommend it.
- Beauty birthdayMMBEAUTYDined on 1/18/2014Birthday girl was happy 3 double shots of patron .... First time everSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.