400 H St NE
Washington, DC 20002Neighborhood:
H Street Corridor
Creole / Cajun / SouthernPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.truorleans.com/
- Phone: 2022901244
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Sunday: 10:00am - 4:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Creole / Cajun / Southern, Comfort Food
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Coordinate catering through firstname.lastname@example.org
Provide a name, number, and brief description of your needs and you will be contacted shortly.
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate your private party.
- Private Party Contact: CindyHoward 8772763563
- Special Events: Coordinate special events through email@example.com
Provide a name, number, and brief description of your needs and you will be contacted shortly.
A word from TruOrleans
With new development coming to H Street NE, the addition of TruOrleans Restaurant and Gallery adds an authentic southern, Cajun Creole experience. TruOrleans features family recipes from Lake Charles, LA as well as art work straight from the French Quarter.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
TruOrleans reviews from OpenTable diners
- Poor OrleansMykkoDined on 9/6/2013Food was great service was poor, not the same place that I came to several months ago. Would not recommend to my friends. People and staff dancing around you as your food is being served.Special Features:
- Nothing great about TruOrleansOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/1/2013For a place that looks promising from the outside, there is little to recommend the place for. We decided to try the place out because of the open New Orleans style upstairs terrace but when we got there for dinner they told us they were closing the upstairs because business was slow. They seated us outside instead by the street side patio. Not as charming but we decided to stay since we were there anyway. We should have just left. The service was slow and I could have cooked better food at home. We won't be back.
- Too Much of the Big EasyClaudeDined on 8/31/2013Customer service was nonexistent during our dinning. At first we were told we could not sit in veranda because they waiter hadn't arrived, then as we were leaving we could. We ordered items that were not available (gator tenders and cajun corn bread) and the cajun corn bread that was ordered did not arrive because in the middle of the meal I was told that it wouldn't. Very odd. Drink order was wrong and one drink almost never arrived. The arrival of food from appetizer and entree was slow and they were empty, hardly any guests.Special Features:
- Live BandNay9Dined on 8/26/2013I wish the band could play a little longer. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingFLC1Dined on 8/23/2013The food was very disappointing. The DJ's music was way too loud; we could not hear or talk over the music. Management asked him to turn it down. He did so, but turned it up again shortly thereafter. He did finally turn it down for good.
- Due to some things beyondSoniaDined on 8/20/2013Due to some things beyond my control, my party was extremely late for the reservation but the staff was still very accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No BeignetNYfoodieDined on 8/19/2013I chose a New Orleans style restaurant with the hopes of enjoying some beignets. I quickly glanced the menu and saw beignets on the dessert menu, but it wasn't a beignet. It was a fusion item that didn't satisfy my craving. The gater bites were unnecessarily deep fried and the shrimp/grits were not well seasoned.
- Very good brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/18/2013All three meals we ordered for brunch were great. You really should get a dessert too. The service was also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!deliciousDined on 8/17/2013I went with a friend who was in town for the weekend and loves trying new restaurants. We both loved it! I had the shrimp and grits with a side of hush puppies and, of course, an Abita. We got there at 7pm on a Saturday night and it wasn't crowded when we got there but was when we left, around 8:30. We sat outside, on the second floor and we both commented that if felt like we were actually in New Orleans. The service was a little slow but not too bad. I live only a few blocks away and will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced rubber foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/16/2013Fried gators, rubber. Mac and cheese, yellow rubber Shrimp and grits, seasoned rubber over procesed runny rubber Grilled oyster, rubbery rubber covered in rubber and grilled Service, joke. Maybe management should cut out the dj and hire more severs to help with "service".
- Wonderful ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/10/2013I felt like I was back in New Orleans! The gator was delicious and the beignet fries are a must have!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pedestrian at bestRealCajunDined on 8/8/2013The menu was unimaginative and the food pedestrian at best. Some items were served cold, some were not classic cajun. Typical sports bar, too noisy. I cannot imagine how bad it gets when there's a live band. Worst part of the experience was the absence of parking. Two metered parking spots near the door with score of businesses in the area. Neighborhood parking is restricted to local residents for four blocks in all directions. That means parking in one of the most unsavory parts of D.C. and walking through the highway construction looking over you shoulder each minute expecting one of the hood hoods to step out of a dark corner. Not recommended for the faint of heart or someone bringing someone they love. Wait staff was attentive.Special Features:
- 2nd visitpersonofinterestDined on 7/28/2013I took a friend out to lunch here on a Sunday, so I expected the restaurant atmosphere to be more mellow than anything else which I was fine with. For me, I had a nice experience. Prompt, hospitable service, good food, nice surrounding environment. For my date, however, it was probably one she'd like to forget. Her glass of water was accidentally knocked over into her purse when we were served our other drinks. Her sweet tea wasn't to her liking, and her food was served cold. It made for a rather awkward and tense start to the date, trying to lighten up the mood by apologizing to my date while trying to prevent the waitress from panicking. Nevertheless, management quickly addressed the situation and offered us a discount at the end.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My experienceJus2jazzyDined on 7/21/2013We had the stuffed salmon which was well seasoned. The house dressing was very tasty on my house salad. The seafood dip was the best. I would stop by just to order it. Now the only dish that was not to my satisfaction was the greens. It was over cooked and had a slightly burned taste. Overall the meal was great.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out-of-townersBJDareDined on 6/21/2013My family visited DC and I prided taking them to TruOrleans. The following needs to enhanced according to my family: kid's friendly, menu should include a variety of seafood: as well as drinks for the price. For me, I really like the salmon and this was only my second time at the restaurant. Soft music would have been useful on a Friday night. I love the upstairs. Parking is somewhat challenging. The dessert was good but, need some fruits..healthy. Overall, my family enjoyed it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finally Tried it!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/16/2013Friends had been talking about this spot for a minute so I was finally able to go with them to brunch. Cool little spot. It didn't blow me away but I had a good time. Staff was very friendly. Service was great. Food was pretty good. No complaints.Special Features:
- Depressingly disappointingLoweDined on 5/26/2013The food ordered was soaked in oil the shrimp were over cooked and hard, it seems as there was or is a lack of quality control in this establishment. I ate lunch there to get a feel for the place since I was an out of town visitor and with the lack of taste and care of preparation of the food I canceled my reservation for 6 for Sunday brunch I didn't want to waste another dollar in that place.
- Good food, noisy, lacking ambiencefanofNODined on 5/20/2013Decor and acoustics left a lot to be desired considering cost was same as a much nicer restaurant in DC that also has great Louisiana food. (Acadiana).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but service is lackingQrio82Dined on 5/19/2013I took my fiancee here for a graduation brunch. The hostess didnt seem like she wanted to be there and they stuck our group in the upstairs group area with a server that tried really hard but acted like she was new or was not suppose to be serving. She constantly forgot things but she was very nice and apologetic. The booths upstairs could be looked at 1 of 2 ways they had "charm" and were "used" or they were simply stained and needed to be replaced. Luckily the food was very good. The shrimp and grits was fantastic. The andouille sausage added a nice spice to the grits and they grits were cooked more like a porridge which I prefer to the normal gritty texture. Good buttery, hearty biscuits were enjoyed as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a great birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/14/2013We had a great birthday dinner here. The food was served fast and everything tasted delicious. The mac and cheese could have had a little more seasoning, but other than that no complaints. Suprisingly had happy hour until 8pm, which is always a good thing! Would def go back.Special Features:
- DisappointedCreole2dineDined on 5/13/2013I was excited the first time I saw the restaurant open. Took my mom who was born in Louisiana. So disappointed I ordered shrimp and grits. Received large bowl on grits with there small shrimp and one nickel size slice of sausage. Mom ordered Crawfish Étouffée. Where was the crawfish? Not going back.Special Features:
- I will not go backNikkiDined on 5/12/2013I made reservations for Mother's Day because that's what you are supposed to do if you want to get a seat anywhere on Mother's day. When we arrived we were told that there would be a 1 - 2 hour wait because the kitchen was not ready and they wanted the service to be great. We decided to wait in the bar area. We sat down and no one came to attend to us for about 20 minutes. The server was friendly and got our appetizers for us. I asked his name but he seemed aprehensive about telling me. We order entrees and waited for over an hour for them to arrive. There were other customers who arrived after us who got thier meals and left before us. Needless to say I wan't happy. The one good thing is they comp'd our meal before I had to ask.
- Truly OrleansChocoholicDined on 5/12/2013Jazz filled ambiance, complimented with good food made for a lovely Sunday brunch.Special Features:
- Wasn't a fan. There was aCindyVIPDined on 5/11/2013Wasn't a fan. There was a R&B "party" schedule for the night of our reservation that took over the entire restaurant. We had to yell to talk. The party area was the same as the dining area. It would have been nice if they'd called people who made reservations (like so many restaurants do) to confirm/give them a heads up that a very lively event was taking place during fairly early dinner hours. I also received a call from the hostess while we were sitting at the table stating that we had failed to show up for our reservation. There was obvious disorganization. Service wasn't great. It took almost 20 minutes before the waitress even came over and said hello and was spotty throughout dinner. Food was ok. We won't be returning.
- Better than OkLunchDineDined on 5/8/2013My experience at TruOrleans was better than ok. The food, was better than ok. It was tasty. The mac and chesse, which was not my first option but was EXCEPTIONAL. I am so glad they were out of mashed potatoes. It reminded me of my granny's mac and cheese. It was the bomb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- call to make reservationsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/5/2013They didn't have my open table reservation and it left me and my party without a table. Should have just called instead.Special Features:
- Second go 'round...OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/20/2013This is our second try at TruOrleans; first for dinner, this time for brunch...it was ok. I had french toast, eggs and bacon which was good. My husband had a meat omelet that looked like the meat was just placed in the omelet and not cooked with the egg, so it fell apart :-( The mimosas were good and we had beignet fries, that tasted like funnel cake with a sweet sauce dip. We may return for happy hour one day and strictly order the oysters which were the best things we had on the menu so far.Special Features:
- Food was good, service not so much.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/13/2013It took us forever(about an hour or more)to get our food and instead of coming by to geniuely apologize or offer a complimentary beverage or something, our waiter acted like he was afraid to stop by and give us an update and when he did he just said something to the effect that there was something going on with the kitchen that caused the delay. I believe I saw a manager who walked by and said nothing as she saw us waiting a long time for our food. And to boot they did not seem to be that crowded. My companion observed a large party in private room and they seem to got all of the staff's attention. They ran out of Mac n Cheese and to add insult to injury when we finally did get our food my greens were cold. Can't say that I will go back.Special Features:
- service slow when not manyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/7/2013service slow when not many people there. Became worst the more people arrived. Food was just okay. I will not be going again.
- The food was great. The serviceTeeLeeDined on 4/6/2013The food was great. The service was good. I was about 10 minutes behind my reservation, the host moved my reservation to 8:00 when he noticed I would be late so that I would not lose my table. I didn't even have to call and ask. I would definitely go back to this restaurant. The stuffed salmon was delicious. The salmon was fresh, and it was a good sized portion. Even the garden salad was fresh. I had a level 2 Hurricane for my drink, and it hit the spot. It was recommended by our waiter.Special Features:
- My second time attending andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/5/2013My second time attending and enjoyed it again. I invited about 10 friends and we had a blast. The foods was not as good as the first time I visited, may have been a different cook. However, our waiter was phenomenal! The drink specials are amazing! The one negative is parking is horrible!!! It makes it hard to visit more frequently. If they instituted a valet parking I would be a regular.Special Features:
- This was my first time toOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/5/2013This was my first time to TruOrleans. I enjoyed the fact that they had a DJ playing. I was there for a friend's birthday. The Happy Hour drinks were NICE (not watered down as some establishments tend to do) and the food was delicious! The guy serving us was very friendly to the point that we took a few pictures with him. It was a fun time.Special Features:
- It was just ok and fairlyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/4/2013It was just ok and fairly pricey for what you get. The gumbo was not gumbo. It was more like a creamy chicken soup with a pleasant but quite mild flavor. It didn't taste bad, but if you order gumbo, you want gumbo. The red beans and rice were pretty good, but for $18 for beans and rice, I'll look elsewhere. The other food was similar. It didn't taste bad, but it wasn't true cajun. Drinks were fine, nothing spectacular but they had a few good cocktails. We may go again just because we live in the neighborhood, but it's not high on the our list. On a more positive note, there was no wait (probably because of everything I've said above).Special Features:
- I was a little disappointed.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/31/2013I was a little disappointed. We had reservations on Easter Sunday at 3 p.m. and thought we could order dinner only to find dinner would not be served until 4 p.m. We were unable to print your menu large enough to read before we came.Special Features:
- My waiter was very pleasentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/31/2013My waiter was very pleasent and professional the food was horrible and the breakfast potatoes were terrible and very very under cooked. The entire family was very disappointed in the service.
- MehOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/31/2013I've been to TruOrleans for drinks a few times and thought brunch would be a good occasion to give their food a try. I was really disappointed in the food. I had the crabs benedict and while the each was perfectly poached the english muffin tasted like it was not only not toasted but also stale. It ruined the whole thing. It seemed like a shame because they got the hard part right but the english muffin made the whole thing so bad I barely even noticed there was crab involved! My dining companion had the shrimp po'boy and that was also not great. I was surprised by how large the shrimp were. They were clearly not appropriately sized shrimp for a po'boy. The bread for that was sub par as well.
- Highly DisappointedFedfuzzDined on 3/29/2013My first visit there was during lunch and the food was great! I was excited about taking some out-of-town guests and was highly disappointed and embarrassed due to the terrible service and food we received. The manager clearly has no customer service training. I will never go back.
- Low priority on dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/29/2013I've been here many times. My last visit was to have dinner on a Friday night. The atmosphere was festive. A DJ downstairs and music blasting at the upstairs bar. Luckily, one room was available where you could have a conversation without yelling. The food was good as usual, but the service was the worst I have experienced there. I give service a poor rating because food wasn't ordered in a way to avoid dinner showing up right behind an appetizer. Server was friendly but not knowledgeable. Server took too long to return with items that should have been available. A waiter took condiments that we requested and gave them to another table with an ask-and-reach approach. Great bar scene, but dinner seems to be a low priority for TruOrleans.Special Features:
- Tru in Lieu of New OrleansOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/28/2013Having just recently visited New Orleans and eaten at several restaurants (six I believe), the comparability of the two was not quite there. Mind you the food was good, but it was not GREAT. Service was a little slow. I attribute that to what appeared to only be one person waiting tables. He was pleasant though. No complaints regarding the alcoholic beverages. The live band that was performing is a nice touch. Again, this was more of a DC flavor of music as opposed to New Orleans. Maybe some modification there would be appreciated. Bottom line: I could see visiting this establishment again in a pinch.Special Features:
- Great Food, Slow Service2bdayDined on 3/28/2013Food was awesome and our server was great, but the food took a very long time to come out of the kitchen. The bar had a jazz band playing and they were really very good, but it made it so loud that we couldn't talk at the table. Maybe the band should start a little later? our dinner was at 7 and the band started shortly after we arrived. The food was so good that we will be back - but may wait til the outdoor dining opens.Special Features: