True Midtown Kitchen
1104 Dauphin St
Mobile, AL 36604Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
True Midtown Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://kitchen.truedine.com/
- Phone: 2514342002x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jonathan Stern
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: We can offer catering for groups from 15 to 500. Menus from heavy hors d'oeuvres to tasting menus. Our staff has experience in large events in New York and Mobile. Let us do the worrying.
- Private Party Facilities: Private room with seating for up to 55 guests and 80 for cocktails. Can accomodate up to 100 people in the main dinig room. Entire restaurant and bar seats 200.
- Private Party Contact: Bonnie Shelly 2514342002x
- Entertainment: Occasional Jazz or American Roots Music. Events posted on Facebook.
A word from True Midtown Kitchen
The True family's Southern Style Bistro features fresh Gulf seafood and Alabama raised beef and pork. Located in Midtown Mobile in the former Smith's Bakery. Fresh takes on Southern classics drawn from local purveyors. Fresh cocktails and regional beers on tap. Locally Owned. Locally Grown.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
True Midtown Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
2 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelEnergetic
special occasion (2)great for brunch (1)fit for foodies (1)good for groups (1)great for outdoor dining (1)great for lunch (1)neighborhood gem (1)Show More
- MichDined on 6/7/2014The Triple Tail special we had was wonderful and so was the bread pudding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 89 reviews are from the True Midtown Kitchen reviews archive.
- Awesome ambienceWeluvjazzDined on 5/23/2014The low light settings with the sounds of live jazz music make for a fabulous date or girls night. The 2 piece band plus singer wasn't too much and the noise level was appropriate for the small dinning area. There was a couple that actually got up and danced by their table. Loved my first experience there and will return again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious and differentCather123VIPDined on 5/19/2014This is housed in an old bakery. Fun place to be. The salad was terrific as was the fish. Worth a drive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodALA50VIPDined on 5/16/2014We liked this restaurant, but thought the portions were on the skimpy side. I didn't think Mahi Mahi could be served in such a small portion and then there was nothing with it but a few greens.....$23. My lamb meatloaf was tasty, but again small. It said it came with Waldorf slaw....I found a teaspoon of that on my plate.Special Features:
- Great place for a Leisurely MealNeilluvsfoodDined on 5/11/2014I have never had a bad meal here...The food is great, and one of the things I really like, is they give you normal portions, so you leave satisfied, but not stuffed, and definitely no leftovers....Mother's Day was busy...You could tell they were short-staffed, but they still did a good job.Special Features:
- GREAT MOTHER'S DAY BRUNCHBIRTHDAYDined on 5/11/2014One of the more upscale restaurants in Mobile. It's a change from all the fried seafood. Took my wife to the Mother's Day brunch and had a wonderful time. The food was delicious and the service was good. The Bloody Marys were outstanding. I've been there before and shall return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem in Midtown MobilewinedoctorDined on 5/11/2014True Midtown restaurant has been moving consistently from very good to excellent. The jazz vocal program starring Amy True, now every Friday night, is really something special. The food, always good to very good, has improved to very good to excellent range and the prices continue to be very fair. The bar is outstanding, and the only real area for significant upgrade I can see is the somewhat limited wine list. Highly recommended for all types of functions/visits. Richard True and staff are doing a great job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mothers Day BrunchrichcrowDined on 5/11/2014First time for a brunch at True Mid-Town and we were not disappointed. Food and service were outstanding. Highlight of my meal was the oysters app. The sauce was unbelievable. I also had the skirt steak which I was hesitant to order, but it was tender and very tasty. A minor criticism, if I had to make one, would be no bread being available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs improvingMobileEatersDined on 5/11/2014Food wasn't bad, just over priced for the very small portions we received. The Waiter didn't know much about the menu or the wine/beer list nor did he care to and rarely checked on us.Special Features:
- Good food.SelmadinerDined on 5/11/2014Food is always good. They seemed to be a bit disorganized, as we had trouble getting someone to wait on our table. Might have been a mix up as to who was assigned to us. But the place was not yet crowded, so it was a glaring omission.Special Features:
- WonderfulswitchfootDined on 5/9/2014It is our fourth time going and it gets better with each trip...The food is excellent and the service is out standing.Special Features:
- Midtown KitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/7/2014I was heartbroken to find that Midtown Kitchen was closing. This restaurant would be a big hit in Chicago. Not only did I feel comfortable and relaxed in the restaurant but our server was amazing and the food was spectacular. Hope the owners find a site to open a new Midtown Kitchen in Mobile soon.Special Features:
- Great spot!Tabbott24VIPDined on 5/6/2014First time ever in Mobile, and found this great restaurant. If I'm back, I'm going again! Great atmosphere, and great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional DinnerdinelocallyDined on 5/3/2014Excellent menu with a number of non-garden variety items for both small and large plates along with a daily special. It would be hard to imagine that anyone could not find something to appeal to them and fit their dining preferences. I had the lamb meat loaf which was excellent although it was a difficult decision between that and the 2 seafood dishes offered that evening. Dessert was the dolce de leche bread pudding which was not the ordinary mushy type smothered in questionable sauce and was far better than most you will ever indulge in. Very good service with friendly people from the host to the servers to the kitchen staff who stopped by the table to check on us. Excellent dining experience that will bring us back again.Special Features:
- Hit the spot!KevinWDined on 4/21/2014Took my wife here for her birthday. Couldn't have been better. Great service, excellent menu. Seems to know what they do well, and they stick to it. Ingredients were fresh... will definitely be returning in the future.Special Features:
- Great Easter BrunchdiningdietitianDined on 4/20/2014This restaurant is a neighbourhood gem. We all enjoyed the menu choices because there was something for everyone, including our vegetarian daughter. The fried oyster starter with Andouille cream sauce was divine. We all enjoyed the eclectic atmosphere, the friendly service and the food was good. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ...Terminator voice, "I'll be back"CShernardDined on 4/11/2014The food and service was as good as it always is. I loved the angelic voice and stylings of Amy True. A True treasure. I would like to discuss the possibility of promoting the restaurant one Friday in May to a Relay For Life committee. Hoping that portion of the proceeds can go to the American Cancer Society. Please have the appropriate person contact me at 251-727-2141. Clyde RolandSpecial Features:
- The beet salad was good butOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/4/2014The beet salad was good but not great, somewhat of a disappointment. The charcuterie board was excellent, as were the entrees our party had, particularly the lamb meatloaf; the sides of grits, risotto , and broccolini were exceptional. Our waiter was also attentive. An unexpected joy was a musical trio with a very good singer, Amy True, presenting throwback tunes of the 50's that were very well done. I would return there just for the music!Special Features:
- Company FunctionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/25/2014Not mentioned above, True Midtown Kitchen is excellent for company business meetings. I'm the Admin/HR Assistant at my company, and reserved a table at True Midtown Kitchem for my boss and some of our "Corporate" heads. My boss told me that everything was excellent (food, serivce, and atmosphere).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Geat mealOTPguyVIPDined on 3/14/2014We were visiting Mobile and wanted to find a local restaurant rather than one of the many chain restaurants near our hotel. This place was a gem. The food was fantastic, the service was great, and they even had a jazz band playing the night we were there. I would definitely go back the next time we're in town.Special Features:
- Enjoyable eveningJochizDined on 3/7/2014I would recommend True Midtown Kitchen. It is a really cool old building. The decor is stylish and cool. The food was good. I was disappointed in that they were out of several things and they did not tell us when we got our menus. They are known for gin and tonic , made with house-made tonic. They were out of tonic ( at 8:00 on a Friday night ? With supposedly a busy bar scene - which no one was in ) husband ordered grilled cobia. They were out of that and were substituting mahi mahi. He said ok. But what he got seemed like grouper . Not sure the right fish was substituted . Besides that - really good meal. Fried oyster appetizer , great salads shrimp and grits . I would definitely try that again .Special Features:
- Delicious Dinnerout2eatDined on 3/5/2014My food was delicious and the noise level allowed for easy conversation. The ambience was great - a volumous room that still felt cozy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inventive well made entreesOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/28/2014We've been wanting to visit this restaurant in a nearby city for a while, and finally had the chance. The atmosphere is casual and trendy which fits well with the neighborhood. They were out of their home made tonic and so I couldn't get the gin and tonic cocktail. We tried two of them and didn't care for them. I asked our server if they had a full bar and he didn't seem sure.The roasted beet salad was wonderful, with a tangy vinaigrette. We ordered the lamb meatloaf and the red snapper special. The meatloaf was unique and delicious. The fish was definitely fresh and almost perfectly cooked. Unfortunately, it was over salted, so it just missed the "excellent" mark. The wine list is pretty limited, but we enjoyed the glasses we ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was good...NicknameVIPDined on 2/18/2014Let's face it...Mobile, AL isn't full of awesome restaurants. We found this place on open table and went here based on ratings. The ratings were favorable and we liked it just fine. Not blown away, but a decent enough meal with decent enough service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's DinnerSheLoves2CookDined on 2/14/2014My husband and I came here for the first time for Valentine's Day. We really enjoyed their prefixed menu with wine pairings. My husband enjoyed the local beer from Gadsden, AL especially. The jazz music in the background was a nice touch for the occasion. We reccomend the filet mignon, lamb, and grouper. Really, everything was good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimerEat2loseDined on 2/13/2014We tried True on a whim. We ordered the grouper special and were not disappointed! It was so tasty! We also ordered the Caesar salad which was just OK. The prices were a bit high so next time we will order less expensive items to see if we still love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good EatsKyleDined on 2/7/2014This restaurant is a GEM! I walk in to the restaurant, and the host, Kenny greets me by my first name. WOW, it was like I was at an upscale hotel. The service was very friendly and answered all of the questions that I had for them. I just at the starters....so good! I suggest the Mushroom starter with the grit cakes...the arugula tossed in the citrus dressing, out of this world!! This is a restaurant that I will definitely go back to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jazz supper clubbill8656Dined on 2/1/2014My wife and I had a wonderful 3 coarse meal.The restaurant had a 3 piece Jazz combo with a female vocalist that was great. We will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable Night OutJuggerDined on 2/1/2014Reserved a table for their little Jazz concert. Acoustics in the dining area were pretty poor, which made for a not-so-great listening experience. The great food made up for the poor acoustics. We will definitely go back, though we will probably skip the Jazz night unless they can figure out a way to absorb some the extra sounds waves that echo around in the vaulted ceiling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JAZZ SUPPER CLUBBillDined on 2/1/2014Our compliments to the Staff and Employees for their excellent presentation of food / service. The Live Jazz was Great and only added to our overall dining experience. Special Thanks to Amy for a Great Night Out . . . See you soon.Special Features:
- True Midtown Kitchen was deliciousoldfriendsDined on 1/16/2014Wow, the food here was really good. I had a burger and it had the most delicious bacon jelly on it, and the burger meat was really fresh tasting and tasty. I think they mentioned the farm the meat came from. I commented on the freshness of everything and the acting manager said that the restaurant use quite a bit or organic produce and such. My side item was their yummy cheesy grits. Our waiter was very nice and welcoming and made sure we had everything we needed without being intrusive. It was all together a very nice dinner.Special Features:
- Romantic and specialFitFoodieDined on 1/10/2014My fiancé and I loved the ambience of the place! The service was great the food was great! The one thing that really stood out was dessert! We both ordered the chocolate cherry creme brûlée, I would go back just for that! It was THE best dessert I think I have ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local GemMBfromHSVDined on 12/31/2013Converted bakery creates interested local flare for fine dining. Dress casual if you want. Food was excellent. Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalCShernardDined on 12/31/2013"Exceptional" One word says it all. I've enjoyed every meal and experience that I've had at True. I look forward to returning soon. Talking to Wesley would be an added positive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sweet atmosphere...iEatwellokayDined on 12/20/2013We came on a Friday night to celebrate my brother's birthday. We had an awesome time, the food was great, servings were a LITTLE on the skimpy size but the atmosphere and live singer with accompanying instruments made up for the lack. Highly recommended for a change of pace, and a place with real ambience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Haven for foodiesBentheadsVIPDined on 11/8/2013We live in New Orleans but always stop here for lunch and or dinner when we are in the Mobile area. It is no secret that the food scene in Mobile needs to be improved and True's Midtown Kitchen is for us the main building block. Locally sourced, southern inspired creative dishes served in a casual atmosphere. We also love the bar and sometimes choose to eat in that room. The wine list is very well researched and inludes many things you don't see elsewhere. Our compliments to the brothers True..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice and quaintTerryVIPDined on 11/8/2013We selected True Midtown Kitchen simply based on location and its rating on OpenTable.com. It's in a quiet, inconspicuous area of Mobile with plenty of parking next to the restaurant. Surprisingly, we were greeted by name when we arrived and immediately seated, though we were about 15 minutes early. The server was professional and very attentive to our needs throughout the evening...he provided 1st class service. My wife and I had wine, an appetizer and entrees - all were exceptional. She had the flounder and I had the filet mignon. Both were outstanding and comparable to any fine dining establishment, and I found them to be more reasonably priced. Overall, I would definitely recommend this restaurant to others. I'll certainly be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I am new to Mobile and tookMarkDined on 11/1/2013I am new to Mobile and took 7 coworkers there for a lunch meeting in there private room. The food and service were excellent. The logistics for the room where ok, but could have been better. That is the only reason I marked the service down from outstanding. I have been here twice for dinner and highly recommend it for an evening out or lunch.Special Features:
- Friday night delightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2013We made reservations fairly last minute, but the chef accommodated my husband's vegan diet with an outstanding mushroom dish (double serving of a small plate offering--hate I can't remember its name) and delicious olive bread. I had the special--petit filet mignon with shrimp--mashed potatoes and haricots verts could not have been more delicious. Steak was a perfect medium rare. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- Amazing!DCguideDined on 9/28/2013What a unexpected surprise. The outside didn't look inviting. I would run there if I'm in town again. I had the special scallops special. My cousin ordered the hamburger and he said it was the best burger he ever had. His wife ordered the Mahi. We all loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.