676 North Saint Clair Street
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
Contemporary French / AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.trurestaurant.com/
- Phone: (312) 202-0001
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday – Thursday:6pm - 10pm; Friday:5.30pm - 11pm; Saturday: 5pm - 11pm; Sunday: Closed.
Tru is closed on all major holidays.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American
- Executive Chef: Anthony Martin
- Dress Code: Jacket Required
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Please visit the special events section of our web site, www.trurestaurant.com for more information.
A word from TRU
Tru is a Mobil four star and AAA five diamond restaurant that has received four-star reviews from Chicago Tribune, Chicago Sun-Times and Chicago Magazine. Accolades from the James Beard House include Best New restaurant nomination in 2000 and Outstanding Service Award in 2006. Tru also has been honored with the Wine Spectator Grand Award since 2004 and with one star in the Michelin guide since 2010.Continued
We are an adult environment with a dress code policy: jackets are required for gentleman and elegant-casual, business or evening attire for ladies.
Dining in the lounge is also available.
We are an adult environment with a dress code policy: jackets are required for gentleman and elegant-casual, business or evening attire for ladies.
Dining in the lounge is also available.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
TRU reviews from OpenTable diners
91 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (77)fit for foodies (65)romantic (51)notable wine list (46)neighborhood gem (8)hot spot (6)good for groups (4)great for outdoor dining (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Was hoping for so much moreOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/15/2014The service was excellent, the food was all prepared and cooked very well. My problem was with the menu. Too many truffles......it is not even truffle season. 4 out of the 11 courses had the presence of truffles. The menu did not jive with the atmosphere, the decor or the reputation. In the end I don't mind spending $750 for a 2 person meal but it needs to be flawless, executed and something that I have not seen before. Unfortunately, TRU did not deliver.
- Evening at Tru. Great Service. Good food.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/14/2014Service was excellent. Food was good but we were not pleased with the shared Duck. The entree was chewy and lacked taste. Given the price I expect better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but only the tab was greatBillNVIPDined on 11/8/2014Imaginative offerings, an army of attentive servers, and a Japanese inspired presentation style ought to add up to a very special one of a kind dining experience. But some things were merely good; our beef tournedos were in fact verging on gamey. The plain white dining room was Spartanly adorned with a few works of corporatized boardroom art, and techno lounge music (we think they got the soundtrack from W Hotels) did little to make this a truly inviting ambiance. There are a handful of extraordinarily expensive restaurants that I would return to, for the right occasion. TRU is good, but it's simply not in that select league.Special Features:
- Excellent Experiencecosm0nautDined on 11/7/2014This restaurant had the most gorgeous wait-staff I've ever seenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy, upscalesteeltDined on 11/5/2014This place was amazing but you better be ready to open the wallet. Very pricey, but for a special occasion it's certainly worth it. The Prie Fix menu was very tasty and the wine pairings were excellent. The staff were very knowledgeable and professional.Special Features:
- Anniversary celebrationscradictDined on 11/1/2014The service was faultless and unobtrusive. The food was amazing and we enjoyed every course. The waiters were very knowledgable and brought out a special treat for the occasion. The background music was just that. Even the valet and coat check provided prompt service. A very elegant setting and it was a romantic night. Would definitely recommend it and we will be definitely going back. Have dined at many classy Chicago restaurants over the areas but Tru is a real gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Michelin star worthyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/29/2014Excellent food and service. Reservations manager was very quick to respond to emails which was much appreciated. Very nice space. Loved the art on the walls. Definitely a Michelin star worthy establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NorsktorskDined on 10/28/2014fantastic every time. Food was impeccable. Service without miss. Staff very friendly. Great deep mature wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOWPatrickDined on 10/25/2014Went to TRU for my wife's 60th birthday. Other than the tab, outstanding in every way. Accommodated the two with shellfish allergies, customized menu. Service was amazing - never saw synchronized serving (3 servers simultaneously to 3 then spin and the next three). We had the 'tasting menu' - I suggest getting the wine parings ---- buying bottles ended up being more expensive. Each course was interesting to look at and delicious. The little chocolate casings around delicately flavored HIGHLY whipped treats were a surprise - thought they would be heavier, but the chocolate was not much thicker than parchment and the fillings were like air. This is not typical 90 minute meal, we were there about 4 hours. Blows Spaggio's away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing serviceMattRDined on 10/25/2014At this price point ($400+ pp) you expect perfection. This was not. Had to ask for wine, had a fork dropped on me, lots of clearly new and untrained staff, especially for a Sat night. Food was well executed but not memorable. There are other Chi restaurants at this level. Will not return.Special Features:
- Extraordinary CuisineadisakDined on 10/23/2014While it was a little price, the tasting menu at Tru with Muscovy Duck, Foie Gras and Caviar starters was truly an amazing dinner with friends. All the service and food was top-notch and it made for a very memorable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding eveningKSKORMANDined on 10/23/2014TRU was an amazing experience - Loved every dish except the main course - as non meat eaters, the choice was either a beef dish or duck which had an additional charge of $40 per person - which would have been acceptable but the duck was seriously underdone - a real disappointment. Seems that there should have also been a fish dish available. Otherwise, it was a magical evening.Special Features:
- TRUly amazingWinoDined on 10/20/2014Overall a wonderful dining experience. Attentive but not overbearing service (but be ready to stop your conversation when they come to present a dish). Food is exquisitely prepared and presented. Flavor profiles amazing. If duck is on the menu, you must get it even though there is a supplement. Definitely worth it. I do not love duck and it is by far the best I've ever had. the sun choke dish wasn't my favorite simply because the trout roe overpowered the delicate flavors. I would eat here anytime I'm in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014We had a great first time experience on Saturday. The ambience was very calming and relaxing in the beginning but as the restaurant got filled up the noise level went up and the service level became hectic. There was a big group of business men which didn't fit the restaurant environment.Special Features:
- tiredlbb1024Dined on 10/18/2014We've been going to Tru for years. The new menu is very mediocre. Nothing that interesting or flavorful. Very disappointed.
- Top of its GameJimmythepickVIPDined on 10/17/2014Tru has figured out how to be distinctive in all ways.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crazy expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014Service was outstanding and food was wonderful but too expensive for a return visit.Special Features:
- Presumptuous rather than refinedsummitepicureDined on 10/16/2014Service that is so over-done that it is oppressive and silly. Food that confuses complexity for taste. They miss the point that fine dining should leave all senses satisfied.
- My daughter birthdayNemo2kDined on 10/10/2014The dinner was full of details since we arrive at the restaurant, the personalized menu and the cake with the candle at the end. That was very special detail framed in a spectacular dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tru not so trueSabthelabDined on 10/10/2014Looked forward to dinner at this Chi-town icon but our experience was undermined by a supercilious and arrogant set of wait-people who displayed a level of entitlement unusual to a Michelin Star restaurant. Tall good looking people walking around in dark suits looking like part of a special service detail looking after the President who may have happened to be dining there that evening. And as a result, we felt somewhat secondary and superfluous. It was a shame as the food was superb and presentation was amazing but I wouldn't venture back (in contrast to the following night at Moto!)Special Features:
- Discrimination against foreigners?Jim92Dined on 10/7/2014Our trip to the United States to eat a lot of great restaurants, but TRU excluded. Food was good, but the service is poor. Night nobody actually came over and asked us how it feels. Meal the waiter not only impatient, not even looking at speech us and we think this is very rude of .400 dollars on dinner undermines our good mood all night and we would like to ask the restaurant, which is discrimination against foreigners?
- Divine Foodlove2eatVIPDined on 10/7/2014It's hard to believe this a a Lettuce Entertain You Restaurant. We saved our loyalty points to mitigate the expense. It was a wonderful experience. The food is divine, plating was whimsical, service was perfect, and they sent us home with little muffins for the next morning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionaltjssVIPDined on 10/6/2014Have now been there multiple times and I love it more each time. Exquisite, inventive, food perfectly presented. Every dish pleases greatly. Setting is perfect with lots of space between tables, great acoustics so one can have a quiet and private conversation, fabulous art that is as appealing as the food. Cannot recommend strongly enough. Doesn't have the glitz of Alinea, but the food is as good and the setting is far superior. Do not miss it.Special Features:
- AmazingChewChewDined on 10/6/2014Every detail is perfectly looked after. The staff are very friendly, knowledgeable and bring everything out with a beautiful synchronicity. Food is exceptional and exquisite. Unforgettable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great restaurantOperationDinnerOutVIPDined on 10/6/2014Simply one of the best restaurants I've eaten at. The server promised the duck was the best we'd find anywhere -- and he was right. The appetizer portion could be somewhat larger, given the overall price of the meal -- and from what I could see, the same could be said of the beef main course -- but the duck was no only fantastic, it was a very generous portion. Dessert was creative and fabulous-tasting, as well. Service is superb. Pleasant ambience, although the contemporary soundtrack could be turned down a bit so as to be less obtrusive. Overall, a tremendous place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good to great, expectationsNearNorthVIPDined on 10/4/2014It's kind of hard to judge an experience like TRU. What do you expect from dining that will cost you at least $500 for two? For some of us, that is pretty much the most we will ever pay for dinner, so this *should* be perfection. For others it might not be the case, there is room for an even higher grade. I will say that the food presentation was exquisite, the menu inventive and flavors often unique. Quantity was a little lacking, but I was hungry. The service was good, but not flawless. Minor things, I was bought the wrong coffee, the replacement took too long, breaking the meal flow and I was (originally) charged for 2 additional drinks I didn't order, nor consume. My wife and I had a very nice time, but I don't see us returning.Special Features:
- Amazing Culinary ExperienceNerpachkaDined on 9/27/2014From the moment you walk in, to the moment you leave....everything was superb!!!!Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/27/2014Our dinner at Tru was very nice. The service was exceptional. I am not sure I would choose to return simply because the cost is extraordinary. $500 for a meal for two is pricey even with great food and service.Special Features:
- creative and well executed dishes8523Dined on 9/22/2014Portions are small but very creative. Wine list is excellent. Very expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mikeVIPDined on 9/20/2014Was expecting to be blown away having heard so many great things about Tru. Unfortunately of all things I was disappointed with the wait staff. There was so many of them they were almost getting in each others way. But, for some unknown reason they ignored us. I had to wait to request a second glass of wine. Once I got it my dinner was basically over. I waited to order a after dinner drink and when they finally came they never came back with a menu. Also the waitress raced through the food descriptions which made it seem like she was really not interested. Overall, it was a "nice" restaurant but considering this was the most I've ever paid for a dinner for two I was expecting to be wowed.Special Features:
- Amazing food!LeafDined on 9/13/2014My husband and I went to Tru for our 16th anniversary. The food and the service was simply amazing. We had a great time which we will remember for a long time. The food is expensive but it is worth it! I would highly recommend Tru to anyone who is interested in great food and amazing service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AndyDined on 9/12/2014This was our second trip to TRU. We chose the TRU experience which was wonderful! There were many different flavors and ingredients presented in a multitude of ways. Each course was amazing. I really enjoyed their play on a gazpacho, which involved a tomato slice instead of a soup. The flavors didn't overpower each other and each course built on the previous. I look forward to going back and trying the crispy duck. If you are in search of a nice place that will cater to your tastes and dietary needs, try TRU. They are very accommodating and their attention to detail is evident in the food, setting, and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant and inventiveBillinChicagoDined on 9/9/2014All the courses were delightful and the wine pairings were excellent. We ordered the lesser tasting menu but with the additional duck breast course. I would not recommend the latter, however, because it was a huge portion and without it there certainly would have been enough food! Still, the whole experience was wonderful and the restaurant is very quiet with museum-quality art on the walls and subdued (but actually somewhat interesting) background music. Compares favorably, in my opinion, with Alinea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BlakeVIPDined on 9/6/2014While we've been to many other high-end restaurants in Chicago, this was our first visit to TRU and completely met and exceeded our expectations. We went for our anniversary this year and the staff fully personalized our meal to the occasion, including personalized menus that we got to keep that detailed each course/wine pairing that we experienced. As expected, each course was beautifully presented so we had a hard time picking our favorites. I love black truffles so it was quite a treat when no less than four courses included them. Make SURE you get the duck, either through one of the tasting menus or as an add on. I can honestly say this was the best duck I have ever eaten. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- great eveningrvf419VIPDined on 9/6/2014We went for our 46th anniversary and were treated like royalty! Everything we had was outstanding and it will not be our last visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still wonderfulMKPASADined on 9/5/2014This was our second time at the restaurant. We again ordered the tasting menu with wine pairings. Tru makes the most of the end of summer when great produce and fruit is in season. The service was very accommodating without feeling overbearing.Special Features:
- Lovely eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/4/2014"Tru"ly never disappoints !!! The meal was delicious, the presentation beautiful, the service first rate... Yearly anniversary dinner !!! See you next year...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tru is Truly Fantastic!DebO52VIPDined on 8/30/2014My husband and I went to Tru for our 40th wedding anniversary-what a wonderful meal we had. We have been to Tru before, but this was the best meal ever. Service, as usual was outstanding and Hannah made our dining experience wonderful. If you are looking for a truly wonderful meal, outstanding service and an atmosphere where people are comfortable and relaxed then Tru is a place you should try, you will not be disappointed. Thanks again, Hannah and staff for a terrific time. And to the Chef, my husband is still talking about the best duck he has ever consumed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before there was AlineaJoeGoldberg1VIPDined on 8/27/2014I was surprised to learn how long TRU has been around but if I remember correctly it is almost 20 years. The food was outstanding, the flavor combinations were perfect, presentation was artistic and the service was impeccable. Whatever menu you order, you have to get the duck! For many people, I assume they will like that it is a very quiet spot, and perhaps it was because I was there on a Wednesday night but there was no energy in the room. But it clearly didn't take away from a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentMR3000Dined on 8/20/2014I wanted to take my wife back to Tru again for her birthday as a "safe" option, because they are very good and consistent. The duck was so shockingly excellent that I can't call it a "safe" choice anymore - it is more appropriately a truly unique fine dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.