676 North Saint Clair Street
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
Contemporary French / AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.trurestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3122020001x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday – Thursday:6pm - 10pm; Friday:5.30pm - 11pm; Saturday: 5pm - 11pm; Sunday: Closed.
Tru is closed on all major holidays.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American
- Executive Chef: Anthony Martin
- Dress Code: Jacket Required
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Please visit the special events section of our web site, www.trurestaurant.com for more information.
A word from TRU
Tru is a Mobil four star and AAA five diamond restaurant that has received four-star reviews from Chicago Tribune, Chicago Sun-Times and Chicago Magazine. Accolades from the James Beard House include Best New restaurant nomination in 2000 and Outstanding Service Award in 2006. Tru also has been honored with the Wine Spectator Grand Award since 2004 and with one star in the Michelin guide since 2010.Continued
We are an adult environment with a dress code policy: jackets are required for gentleman and elegant-casual, business or evening attire for ladies.
Dining in the lounge is also available.
We are an adult environment with a dress code policy: jackets are required for gentleman and elegant-casual, business or evening attire for ladies.
Dining in the lounge is also available.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
TRU reviews from OpenTable diners
92 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (76)fit for foodies (62)romantic (53)notable wine list (48)neighborhood gem (5)good for groups (4)hot spot (4)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Amazing Culinary ExperienceNerpachkaDined on 9/27/2014From the moment you walk in, to the moment you leave....everything was superb!!!!Special Features:
- creative and well executed dishes8523Dined on 9/22/2014Portions are small but very creative. Wine list is excellent. Very expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mikeVIPDined on 9/20/2014Was expecting to be blown away having heard so many great things about Tru. Unfortunately of all things I was disappointed with the wait staff. There was so many of them they were almost getting in each others way. But, for some unknown reason they ignored us. I had to wait to request a second glass of wine. Once I got it my dinner was basically over. I waited to order a after dinner drink and when they finally came they never came back with a menu. Also the waitress raced through the food descriptions which made it seem like she was really not interested. Overall, it was a "nice" restaurant but considering this was the most I've ever paid for a dinner for two I was expecting to be wowed.Special Features:
- Amazing food!LeafDined on 9/13/2014My husband and I went to Tru for our 16th anniversary. The food and the service was simply amazing. We had a great time which we will remember for a long time. The food is expensive but it is worth it! I would highly recommend Tru to anyone who is interested in great food and amazing service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AndyDined on 9/12/2014This was our second trip to TRU. We chose the TRU experience which was wonderful! There were many different flavors and ingredients presented in a multitude of ways. Each course was amazing. I really enjoyed their play on a gazpacho, which involved a tomato slice instead of a soup. The flavors didn't overpower each other and each course built on the previous. I look forward to going back and trying the crispy duck. If you are in search of a nice place that will cater to your tastes and dietary needs, try TRU. They are very accommodating and their attention to detail is evident in the food, setting, and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant and inventiveBillinChicagoDined on 9/9/2014All the courses were delightful and the wine pairings were excellent. We ordered the lesser tasting menu but with the additional duck breast course. I would not recommend the latter, however, because it was a huge portion and without it there certainly would have been enough food! Still, the whole experience was wonderful and the restaurant is very quiet with museum-quality art on the walls and subdued (but actually somewhat interesting) background music. Compares favorably, in my opinion, with Alinea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BlakeDined on 9/6/2014While we've been to many other high-end restaurants in Chicago, this was our first visit to TRU and completely met and exceeded our expectations. We went for our anniversary this year and the staff fully personalized our meal to the occasion, including personalized menus that we got to keep that detailed each course/wine pairing that we experienced. As expected, each course was beautifully presented so we had a hard time picking our favorites. I love black truffles so it was quite a treat when no less than four courses included them. Make SURE you get the duck, either through one of the tasting menus or as an add on. I can honestly say this was the best duck I have ever eaten. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- great eveningrvf419VIPDined on 9/6/2014We went for our 46th anniversary and were treated like royalty! Everything we had was outstanding and it will not be our last visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still wonderfulMKPASADined on 9/5/2014This was our second time at the restaurant. We again ordered the tasting menu with wine pairings. Tru makes the most of the end of summer when great produce and fruit is in season. The service was very accommodating without feeling overbearing.Special Features:
- Lovely eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/4/2014"Tru"ly never disappoints !!! The meal was delicious, the presentation beautiful, the service first rate... Yearly anniversary dinner !!! See you next year...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tru is Truly Fantastic!DebO52VIPDined on 8/30/2014My husband and I went to Tru for our 40th wedding anniversary-what a wonderful meal we had. We have been to Tru before, but this was the best meal ever. Service, as usual was outstanding and Hannah made our dining experience wonderful. If you are looking for a truly wonderful meal, outstanding service and an atmosphere where people are comfortable and relaxed then Tru is a place you should try, you will not be disappointed. Thanks again, Hannah and staff for a terrific time. And to the Chef, my husband is still talking about the best duck he has ever consumed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before there was AlineaJoeGoldberg1VIPDined on 8/27/2014I was surprised to learn how long TRU has been around but if I remember correctly it is almost 20 years. The food was outstanding, the flavor combinations were perfect, presentation was artistic and the service was impeccable. Whatever menu you order, you have to get the duck! For many people, I assume they will like that it is a very quiet spot, and perhaps it was because I was there on a Wednesday night but there was no energy in the room. But it clearly didn't take away from a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentMR3000Dined on 8/20/2014I wanted to take my wife back to Tru again for her birthday as a "safe" option, because they are very good and consistent. The duck was so shockingly excellent that I can't call it a "safe" choice anymore - it is more appropriately a truly unique fine dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The cheese stands alonelive2eatDined on 8/19/2014Ordered abbreviated tasting menu ($115 each), added caviar ($77) and whole roasted duck ($120). Offered the cheese cart towards end of meal. We couldn't remember if it was included or was being offered because of extra items ordered or since it was our anniversary. We're not big cheese people but tried it anyway since it was given to us. Much to our surprise, we were charged $40 for a la carte cheese! That's was extremely disappointing since we didn't ask for the cheese nor did anyone say anything; the charge just appeared on our bill. If it was a mistake, it was Tru's mistake. As for duck, we got served the breasts and small portion of a leg (definitely wanted more of the duck for the $). Never been so disappointed spending $675 before!Special Features:
- Great place, great staffWhiteBreadVIPDined on 8/16/2014The room hasn't changed much in the 13 years I last dined here . The food remains excellent. Service is top-notched . The dessert selection was uninspiring compared to my last experience. I do no think S'mores should ever end a five star restaurant experience. The chocolate layer dessert was terrible. I suggests having spectacular desserts as it is the last thing we all remembered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique Dining Experienceluv2eatDined on 8/16/2014This was the second time we went to Tru and brought our family (older children). The entire experience lasted ~ 3 hours. The food was phenomenal the service was good; however, the busier the restaurant became, the longer time it took between courses. This was a bit frustrating as we had not experienced this the first time. The "choreography" of the servings was far more involved the first time around…this time, the only thing we noticed was that the water was poured at the same time. All in all, we had a wonderful time and they were able to handle providing food for my daughter who has celiac (needs to be gluten free). Just know that this restaurant is not inexpensive ($1100 for the four of us-two non-drinkers), but well worth it!Special Features:
- Top notch service and foodDuanekeatsDined on 8/15/2014What a great restaurant. From service when you walk in. To every little touch during your dinner is one of the best I have ever seen. The food unreal and flavours with the wine pairings were perfect. They have mastered every step here at tru great job chef. Managers. Server assistants. Dishwashers cooks servers and the hostess. Unreal experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible Experience!jwbspaDined on 8/14/2014From the moment you arrive you are treated like a special guest. They have thought of every detail! The courses arrive at your table choreographed to perfection. Visually the food was beautiful and the flavor matched its presentation with incredible flavors. At no point did I feel uncomfortable or awkward. I would highly reccomend this dinning experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummyDined on 8/13/2014Our entire dining experience was wonderful. The staff was extremely friendly, and also very helpful in assisting us in making food and wine selections. TRU deserves it's great reputation, and I look forward to returning.Special Features:
- Good food but far too priceyGaryCoVIPDined on 8/12/2014I had a delicious seafood appetizer and scallops entrée but I really didn't feel that the small food portions or service merited a $125 fixed price. While the service was attentive, it really wasn't very friendly. The waiters were very stiff and far too formal. The wine list certainly offered many great but very expensive wines. The cheapest carafe of cabernet was $80.00. If you are looking for expensive fine dining for a special location, you might consider TRU but bring lots of cash. My dinner for one cost $250 including a tip.Special Features:
- very creative food but stingyenjoy2dineDined on 8/9/2014We enjoyed the very very very (!!!!) small portions of each dish but at the end stayed hungry after ten dishes of degustasion. The service was excellent but we were left disappointed because of the stinginess of the restaurant. For the price they charge they could be more generous. e.g.: when we were served the dish of cheeses, the slices were so thin that they could not hold. Pity because the chef is very creative.Special Features:
- Best duck everTgm4bonesVIPDined on 8/8/2014A true dining event. Service was seamless and a choreographed production. The tasting menu was an event and the wines were creatively and thoughtfully chosen. But the highlight of the dinner was without question the duck. It was indubitably the best duck I have had in a restaurant. More than a meal; a gastronomic tour de forceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the bestFthjDined on 8/8/2014I got the TRU experience dinner for my 30th birthday and thought the dishes were ok. 3 Dishes from the menu were too salty especially the dish with the frog legs, toward the end of the meal I was wondering if we will ever get done because we were pretty full and they still had something else coming. For the time and amount of money spent, I rather go to Alinea.
- Really, Just WonderfulTryItAllDined on 8/7/2014Elegant space with impeccable service and the most beautiful, elegant, delicious food ever. It was not Disneyland gimmicky, food wise, it was serious wonderful pleasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/7/2014lovely high end dining. they take their craft very very seriously.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TRU to the Reputationfood4thoughtDined on 8/1/2014My wife and I dined here as part of a weekend getaway last week and thoroughly enjoyed the TRU "Experience" with the wine pairing. The whole meal lasted about 3 hours for the 11 courses and a caviar and vodka course added on. The Staff were very attentive and knowledgeable and the food was phenomenal. First of all, this is not an "American style" restaurant with over-sized portions. It is French inspired with heavy accent on presentation. These are small portions with big flavor. That said, my favorite was the corn pudding and later the frog legs. My wife loved the Halibut and the beautiful petite salad. The wines perfectly complimented the dishes and we were both very happy with the reds, which were berry-forward (very yummy).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not TRU anymoreJohnDined on 7/25/2014My wife and I have eaten at TRU many times over the years, and the experience has always been spectacular. We were sorry to see that the restaurant just isn't what it used to be. We used to enjoy watching the ballet in the dining room that was the service, but there were so many mistakes made during our last visit that it easily explained why the dining room was half empty on a Friday evening. They served courses before we even had wine on the table for our pairings, couldn't keep track of still or sparkling water, and seemed to have given up on the level of service that was once delivered at this establishment. I'm sorry to say that this was our last visit to TRU, as it is not longer worth the price of admission.Special Features:
- Outstanding meal and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/24/2014Tru lived up to it's reputation as one of the premier fine dining spots in Chicago. The attention to detail and the service was wonderful, as was the food. However, I found the physical ambiance a bit stark:( No flowers or candles on the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Experience18abefrohmanDined on 7/23/2014I was looking for a special dining experience to celebrate my sister's 40th birthday and TRU delivered on every aspect. The food, the service, and the presentation were exceptional. We look forward to dining at TRU again very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The experience310kitchenDined on 7/19/2014Tru is just not dinner it's an experience. You have to be a foodie to love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- specialCocotteKatDined on 7/18/2014We have been wanting to dine at Tru for years. We grew up around the Chicago suburbs and moved to Portland, OR seven years ago without ever getting the chance. Finally! We were not disappointed. Truly a flawless experience and well worth the wait. The food is all about perfect execution. Not a lot of gimmicks going on here, just perfection on the plate. There aren't even distracting garnishes on the place. This chef wants his craft to shine through, and it does. Of course, service is outstanding. Watching the servers, sommelier, and maitre d is like watching a choreographed dance on the dining room floor. Beautiful. Thank you, Tru, for making our anniversary so special. We will never forget it!Special Features:
- Very special!CindyVIPDined on 7/17/2014Loved the food and service! The Muscovy duck was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Violently expensive not enough foodDisappointedVIPDined on 7/12/2014Lovely atmosphere, but not the experience I had before. Not enough food. The coordination of service was not as experienced in the past. I was embarrased, as I had recommended that my friends join us, and it just wasn't worth the $600 for dinner for 4. Each one of us went home and ate something else, as we were all still hungry. I will never go back!
- Great experienceTomCVIPDined on 7/12/2014Truly great experience, service awesome, would highly recommend for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014It is a great place for a good occasion! It is a true fod experience to let your palate to taste unique food, have a special conversation around the dining table. Service is great!Special Features:
- Fantastic serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/9/2014Tru continues to provide an excellent dining experience with attention to professional and courteous service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience but Not EverydayYoopertasteDined on 6/28/2014My wife and I went here for our anniversary dinner. It was our first time in Chicago and we wanted a special experience. We got it at Tru. We tried some caviar and got the wine pairing with the meal. That staff was extremely attentive and the food was adventurous for us. I can't say I liked everything, for example I didn't like the white asparagus sorbet, but I don't really like asparagus. It is very expensive ($750 after tip for the two of us) but was worth it for a rare eating experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- over priceShanDined on 6/28/2014We are food travelers and do a lot of research to a great dining experience. Food is good but overprice. Cold ambiance. Up-tight service. nice personnal attention. Misplaced efforts.Special Features:
- Waste of moneyVariable26VIPDined on 6/26/2014Maybe they were off this night, but tasting menu was largely inedible and wine pairings were poor. Art collection saved the experience for us, but very disappointing overall.
- Chicago PerfectionPatekGirlDined on 6/26/2014My husband and I dined at TRU while visiting Chicago. The restaurant has been on my list for many years. I had first heard about it years ago while watching Gale Gand's dessert show on the Food Network. She and her husband, Rick Tramonto ran and operated TRU at the time. The chef is different now, but the experience did not disappoint. LOVED IT, from start to finish! The food, the service, and the wine list are TOP NOTCH. Absolutely a great evening! The menu is either Prix Fixe or chef's courses, and there are several wonderful mini-courses in between. All were EXCELLENT.Special Features: