140 New Montgomery Street
San Francisco, CA 94103Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.trounormandsf.com/
- Phone: 4159750876
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: M-F 5:00pm-12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Californian
- Executive Chef: Salvatore Cracco
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We offer our "Butcher Room" for private events. It holds 14 people seated or 25 for a standing room buffet or cocktail party. Trou Normand is also available for a full buy out. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any inquiries. Soon our patio will be available for private events as well which will seat up to 50 people.
- Private Party Contact: Robert Nelson 4159750876
A word from Trou Normand
Named for the northern French tradition of a shot of brandy between courses, this second location, from the owners of James Beard Award winning Bar Agricole, unites the pleasures of traditional mixed drinks and uncomplicated food. The focus of the kitchen is house-made charcuterie and salumi. As many as 40 types of charcuterie are available on the all-day menu. Seasonal sides and simple cuts of meat round out the dinner options. The menu will change throughout the day from breakfast through dinner and late night. The focus of the drink menu is brandy. Many of the Armagnacs, Cognacs and Calvados served at Trou Normand and Bar Agricole are found nowhere else in the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Trou Normand reviews from OpenTable diners
120 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (71)great for outdoor dining (38)good for groups (37)vibrant bar scene (36)hot spot (35)neighborhood gem (30)great for lunch (26)special occasion (12)romantic (11)notable wine list (11)late-night find (8)great for brunch (5)Show More
- LOVE THIS PLACE!SeasideStephVIPDined on 10/21/2014I think I've come here at least once a week for the past 2 - 3 months. Great at both lunch and dinner. The bar gets a little loud inside at dinner if you there are just 2 or three of you, the tables are set up nicely for intimate conversations. I had a 4.5 hour dinner with a friend one evening! The staff never asked us to hurry along or were inconsiderate. The service was perfect. Thanks Megan!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trou-ly goodBEallDined on 10/20/2014When dining at Trou Normand, you move through the attractive bar to an outdoor patio, with plenty of heaters to keep warm. It is very pretty. The cocktail I had was wonderful and the dinner was delicious. Trou Normand touts its charcuterie, but they have enough on the menu to please everyone. Our waiter was most pleasant. It was a perfect choice for a walk from the San Francisco Center where we had just seen a movie, and the level of noise was such that we could discuss the movie. Have nothing but praise for this fairly new spot. Before going, peek in at the building in which the restaurant resides -- a marvelous feast for the eyes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New spotOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/20/2014The guys behind bar agricole have done it again. I would eat here every day if I could. The quality of the food that they source is top notch and they take the time to do things right. I've never had a bad meal here and highly recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/17/2014Visiting from out of town we made an early reservation for dinner while on the plane to SFO. We rolled our own on charcuterie selection; coppa, bologna, finocchiona. Perfection. The high point of the meal was combining the pork meatballs with the polenta. Drinks were very well done, service was great. When we asked for advice it was spot on. We are so happy we made that last minute reservation!!Special Features:
- Not enough space!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/15/2014If you have a small group, be prepared to sit uncomfortably close to the group next to you. We were sitting between two other couples and ordered one of the small charcuterie boards to start. There was so little table space that the poor couple next to us could barely fit their drinks. We felt so uncomfortable being so close to them when they were on a first date, we just ended up finishing our drinks and charcuterie and leaving to have dinner elsewhere. What were the owners thinking when they designed this place? They were obviously so focused on making it aesthetically pleasing that they forgot that people are going to actually have to eat there.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/15/2014It took 15 minutes to get my glass of wine! The menu is limited and rather basic, although I would say, not in Normandy fashion. I had no idea the portions are so large. I ordered the rabbit pate, which was very good, the polenta was huge and I expected something more rustic, less creamy. The cranberry beans had too much of a bacon flavor. I could finish neither the polenta nor beans. For a frenchified hamburger joint, the prices are quite steep.Special Features:
- DinerVIPDined on 10/14/2014OK food execution. Good food quality. Communal dining tables can get crowded.
- Another great time at Trou Normand!DoloresheightsdinerVIPDined on 10/9/2014Trou Normand is close to where I work downtown so I have had lunch there many many times. I had dinner with friends for the first time this week. It was fun and delicious. A great place to meet, talk, and share food and wine. The hostess, Gina, was fabulous and so accommodating to our group of five. I love the décor of the restaurant and the building is amazing. It just feels special.Special Features:
- Great space/ not so great foodSFdatenightVIPDined on 10/3/2014Nothing was memorable....except the super rude hostess who acted as if we were bothering her by being there on time, actually by being there at all. The food was okay. Our waiter was very nice and helpful though and the wine was good.Special Features:
- Fantastic!citygirlVIPDined on 9/27/2014Outstanding service and delicious food. A unique dining experience. The communal seating is a little funky but we sat at the bar so it wasn't an issue.Special Features:
- Perfect for the meat living foodieMeatisLoveDined on 9/25/2014If you love charcuterie this is your place. Balance the richness with a Algonquin cocktail and the meal will be one of your most memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Client meetings near MosconeBusinessAndaMealDined on 9/24/2014We had a great experience at Trou Normand! Met a new client there for lunch. "hello" from the wait staff was warm, engaged. We monopolized a table for 2.5 hours, needless to say the pitch was successful! We never felt pressure to order, move or hurry; really refreshing. I had the mortadella with little gems, amazing! Had a chance to turn my guest on to an affogato... Think he'll be a devotee for life. Wish me luck on my next big pitch, it will be at Trou Normand.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old World flavorEnjoyableVIPDined on 9/22/2014Our first time to Trou Normand was met with richly flavorful charcuterie. Even lardo, usually kind of gross, was very enjoyable like good soft butter. the pork chop was just short of outstanding because it was a cut of 50% fat. the flavor of the tender meat was accented by the salty rub and balanced with the char. We got about 4 good bites of meat and the rest of the chop was super fatty. Meatballs were nicely tender, Tagliatelle tasted homemade, and the salads were enjoyable and not too tiny. Had both a wonderful sparkling cremant that was slightly sweet but dry enough to enjoy more than one glass. we also has a great nebbiolo that gave old world flavor but light enough to let the food shine. Uniquely enjoyable for a new place.Special Features:
- What a surprise!FoodGoodnessVIPDined on 9/20/2014Living in SOMA I'm always jealous of The Mission or Hayes Valley with their notable eateries. But now we have one too! Trou Normand was a surprise treat we didn't know was here in SOMA! Simple decor with oversized booths for bigger parties were in the front room. We were taken out to a patio! Who knew! The glass roof provided views of the towering lit up buildings. The cocktails were creative and delicious! The plates were smallish to share so we had many bites of deliciousness! The pates, sausages, heirloom tomatoes, squash, peppers were freshness and goodness! The pork chop was huge and the juiciest cut I've ever tasted! Can't wait to sample the rest of the menu! This might just be my new place to hang in SOMA!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- for those who love meatrshorensVIPDined on 9/20/2014We had the small assortment of pate and salumi, different every night. Excellent appetizers with delicious bread. My husband had the gigantic and juicy pork chop, while I had very delicious paparadelle with meat sauce. There looks like a lovely outdoor seating area .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing experienceAndrewVIPDined on 9/20/2014My Open Table reservation didn't mention anything about communal seating, however we were put at a communal table in an undesirable location (only table in the room). I don't mind communal seating, but this should be mentioned when booking! The rest of the table was empty for the first hour, so it lacked atmosphere. An hour into our meal, a large party was seated at the rest of the table - the quiet room became too noisy. The food was good, with one frustrating exception. Our piece of pork chop was about 70% fat. Our server told us their meat is farm raised, expected to have more fat, and they don't trim fat. She didn't admit that >50% fat was a problem(!), though she offered to send it back so we could order another dish (which we did).Special Features:
- lunch reviewwineanddineVIPDined on 9/19/2014went for lunch- had reservations but no one was in the bar where we were sat. 2 glasses of wine and 2 sandwiches. Nothing on the plate except the sandwich.
- Strange menu & venueSFShermVIPDined on 9/12/2014It's not often I'm baffled by a menu - I came here for lunch and just wasn't sure how or what to order. The server recommended the charcuterie platter (what TN is known for), which we ordered. It was tasty, but it was essentially a platter of highly fatty meats, and felt like a "bad" choice for lunch. There were sandwiches also, which we did not try. Unclear how different the dinner menu is. As for the venue, there's a L shaped Bar area, that is the inside of the restaurant (small, feels like a bar) and the outdoor dining area -- which will probably be lovely once that highrise behind it is finished being built (another year?). The noise was loud and intrusive. I'd come here for drinks & nibbles, but not to eat a meal.
- Lunch DateAtmosphereorFoodDined on 9/11/2014Food: a friend and I started lunch with the charcuterie plate, which was excellent. I don't even remember what was on it except for it being delicious. We then shared a salad and a fried bologna sandwich with BBQ sauce, both of which were super tasty. The food in general was excellent. Atmosphere: the decor is a little spartan but somehow everything in the place just works for me. I love the paintings they chose and I like the big leather booths, high ceilings and the wood and marble. It's just classic. The wait staff also did a great job. There weren't a ton of people when I visited so the noise level was low. I can't wait to go back for dinner or maybe even another lunch.Special Features:
- Small menu, meat-heavyPnjabanVIPDined on 9/8/2014Decent food at a convenient SOMA location. It's not my favorite place though and I probably won't go back unless invited by a client. It had a cold feeling.
- Genuine French CharcouterrieLainaDined on 9/5/2014This new restaurant in the Financial District is charming and obviously a work of love by the chef and staff. Not many places in town to find French pates, sausages, and in-house French style hams. Very nice indeed. LainaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meat comaOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/3/2014Yum ! Everything was great, wonderful charcuterie and great veal dishes- very nice to see! Sat outside which is great. Definitely in a meat coma by the end, but that's A-OK every so often! Prefer much more than B Agricole too...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find!nieceDined on 8/30/2014The building that houses this restaurant is beautiful and so it the decor. The staff is friendly and delightful. The food is some of the best I have had in SF!! All charcuterie is house made and is incredible. Top notch experience!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingzzbrinskyDined on 8/30/2014would not recommend. Vaunted pork chop was large as promised,but shrunk to less than half the size after cutting off fat. the remainder was too well done and lacked flavor.Other dishes were fair at best. None of our group of 4 would consider coming back.Special Features:
- Best. Pork chop. EVER!GreyWolfEatsDined on 8/28/201417 ounces of pure deliciousness! Cooked to perfection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An oasis in the middle of downtownfood4toughtDined on 8/28/2014The atmosphere is very nice and relaxed. The restaurant feels intimate and the bar is the shinning star, but we sat outside at one of the communal tables, since it was a warm summer day. To get to the terrace you have go through the butchery, where they do all the operations, so you really need to like pig in any form and shape and don't mind watching how pork products are prepared ( they are not coming from the plastic wrap). Great charcuterie wooden boards and pickles to share, sandwiches and cocktails. This is a carnivorous dream, not really a vegetarians one, but they had at least one vegetarian sandwich(eggplant) on the menu and it was very good.Special Features:
- Not what I expectedVHung08VIPDined on 8/19/2014Maybe I had high expectations since I've heard they are busy after work and you can only try to walk in, but I thought they would have more options for main dishes and not just a large selection of charcuterie and cheeses. Not very filling for a meal, even with the spiced up sandwiches.
- joycieVIPDined on 8/18/2014very disappointing space is claustrophobic despite high ceilings service poor food just so so drinks were good but no reason to go backSpecial Features:
- nh89Dined on 8/4/2014Love the ambiance and feel of this place. The concrete and brick walls, modern art, high ceilings, candle lit tables. Each and everything we ordered was so tasty, so much flavor in every bite. The service was great, we don't eat pork and they were able to vegetarian-ize the entree options for us. We were celebrating a promotion and our first home together, and even got complimentary bubbly, great experience and will definitely be back soon :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first visitOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/1/2014Vibrant and loud Friday evening in the bar. Very cool intimate space in the bar with old time tufted swanky booths. The charcuterie sampler was outstanding. The salmon meal portions were huge and the seasoning very different and refreshing. The melon cucumber salad was a delightful combination and the tomatoes on the chefs brushetta were so fresh and flavorul. I want to go back and sit in the outside space!Special Features:
- Trou loveNoElevenVIPDined on 8/1/2014Great place and service. Delicious cocktails and food!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie321Dined on 7/26/2014The few tables that they had in the restaurant are all shared tables. They do have outdoor sitting, under heated lamps. Loud music and bad acoustics made it hard to have a conversation even with the person sitting next to you. Since I was at one end of the table, I was unable to converse with my other 2 other companions sitting at the further end of the table. Cocktails-good; food-good. The pork chop at $30 came with no accompaniments. You have to order sides separately. And the sides are paltry for what they charge ($8-10). The eggplant side had exactly 4 thin slices of eggplant, about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Whats up with this? This place is worth trying once. Will I go back there again? I doubt it.Special Features:
- Service with a smileKakhiDined on 7/25/2014Because of small communal booth, we sat at the bar. An excellent choice because Eric O. waited on us. He was friendly and engaging explaining the origin of the one vodka available and recommended food choices. We will definitely visit again.Special Features:
- Creative and tasty menuluv2dineVIPDined on 7/18/2014Enjoyed both food and drinks. Outside dining is a bit tricky with depending on the cool SF breeze. Service very uneven with understaffing of tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer in SFJackielkVIPDined on 7/18/2014I have to say it was windy and cold and sitting on the metal chairs in a skirt made it very uncomfortable.Special Features:
- Difficult as a lunch spotPetunia123VIPDined on 7/18/2014Dinner? Great menu. Lunch? Meat options only. The lunch menu should be expanded to have at least one vegetable side dish. Also, the outdoor dining space is pointless with all the construction - you can't hear anyone talking or even hear yourself think.
- Very, very loudLLdinerVIPDined on 7/17/2014Food was good. Dining experience was over shadowed by uncomfortably high noise level stemming from high ceiling, hard surfaces, loud music, and vibrant bar scene. Conversation was nearly impossible. Our party of three, even though we were sitting near each other in a booth, had to shout and repeat multiple times to be heard. My ears were ringing after dinner as if I attended a loud concert without ear plugs.Special Features:
- Lunch bunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/16/2014I took a group of retired teachers. The server was wonderful. Said Certainly to a request for sepRate checks. Expertly answered many questions about the many charcuterie items we weren't familiar with. Cocktails were great. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun findOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/20144 of us shared several starters, main dishes and sides and loved every one of them. Small venue, felt like we found a secret gem. Fun night, great meal. Staff was professional and seemed enthusiastic about their venue.Special Features:
- EattravelVIPDined on 7/10/2014Excellent charcuterie. Good cocktail program. Best for quick bite and drink, very busy and shared tables (booths).Special Features: